NATION

PASSWORD

UK citizen Jarrah Begum dies in Syrian refugee camp

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:45 pm

Terruana wrote:
Sahansahiye Iran wrote:No, he didn't. He said it "might" have been "possible" but it would have been politically difficult. See that politically difficult bit? That's the fact of literally everything we've been saying.

As for the bit about political will, that doesn't negate the fact of that the government didn't refuse. They literally didn't. They told them where to go and said that the people they sent them to would be obligated to consider it.

Since you know so much about HMPO and the FCO, perhaps you can answer a question for me then. I've been looking into how applications on behalf of children are handled, and found an article from the BBC in 2014 which is describing how HMPO was folded into the home office. It states "However, the contingency that allowed those applying for passports overseas on behalf of their children to claim emergency travel documents will be ended and the process will return to normal, with this option available only on urgent and compassionate grounds.".

Is this still the case now? Or was it replaced with some other procedure since this article was published?

See the bold, and this sounds like emergency measures to deal with a massive backlog of applications.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Sahansahiye Iran
Minister

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Sahansahiye Iran » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:46 pm

Terruana wrote:
Sahansahiye Iran wrote:No, he didn't. He said it "might" have been "possible" but it would have been politically difficult. See that politically difficult bit? That's the fact of literally everything we've been saying.

As for the bit about political will, that doesn't negate the fact of that the government didn't refuse. They literally didn't. They told them where to go and said that the people they sent them to would be obligated to consider it.

Since you know so much about HMPO and the FCO, perhaps you can answer a question for me then. I've been looking into how applications on behalf of children are handled, and found an article from the BBC in 2014 which is describing how HMPO was folded into the home office. It states "However, the contingency that allowed those applying for passports overseas on behalf of their children to claim emergency travel documents will be ended and the process will return to normal, with this option available only on urgent and compassionate grounds.
Is this still the case now? Or was it replaced with some other procedure since this article was published?

"If you need an emergency travel document to leave Syria, contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office."

It's almost like the Home Office told them exactly what to do and they apparently didn't. And then if you follow the FCO link

"The UK has suspended all services of the British Embassy in Damascus and all diplomatic and consular staff have been withdrawn from Syria. British nationals requiring assistance should make their way to a neighbouring country where the UK has a consular presence."

They didn't. Again, there are processes in place to do literally all of this. They didn't.
User formerly known as United Islamic Commonwealth and al-Ismailiyya.
Also known as Khosrow, Zarhust, or Lanian Empire.
Praetorian Prefect of EMN
Senator of EMN
Legatus of the Marian Legion
Integrator of EMN
A GCR Supreme General of the Contrarians
Iranian civic/cultural nationalist
Monarchist
Zoroastrian

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:27 pm

That's unfortunate. The only person to blame, of course, the shitbag mother.
Insert trite farewell here

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lamoni » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:36 am

Yusseria wrote:Who the fuck cares about some terror bitch's baby?

Yusseria wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
Excessively cruel, the child did nothing wrong.

He most likely would have followed in his Jihadi mother's footsteps. Nothing of value was lost today.

*** Warning for Trolling ***

You will be wanting to review the rules before you post again, or your stay here will likely be short in duration.
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:46 am

Yusseria wrote:Who the fuck cares about some terror bitch's baby?

Provoking shit for the sake of, well, provoking shit. C'mon, fuck that, that's ridiculous, don't do that.

Personally, I harbor very little sympathy for Shamima Begum. I tend to have a plentiful amount of sympathy for refugees, particularly, those fleeing conflicts. But she was complicit in those conflicts and remains largely unapologetic about her role. That is indefensible.

But, fuck, her kid dying? That is also horrible. As much as I may dislike Shamima, I must say it's heartbreaking to hear of a three week or so year old child passing away from pneumonia. I can't imagine.

At this juncture, well...I don't think she should be let back into the UK. If she were to return, realistically, nothing would come of it. She wouldn't be some malevolent terrorist recruiter. But, simultaneously, the principle remains - that is, she was complicit with ISIS and seems to have little remorse beyond the phrase "I was tricked." That doesn't cut it. Perhaps, of course, the Home Office could've done more for her offspring. I'm American, and am not entirely familiar with the roles and prowess the Home Office possesses. I can't say with certainty that they could've been a mitigative and beneficial factor for her kid.

What I do know, though? I know that she can't blame the UK. She joined ISIS. She participated knowingly. In the end, it was her misdeeds that placed her child in that terrible place. And it's sickening.

Handecanistan
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Handecanistan » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:39 am

Since everyone hasn't seem to be taking this into account, I figure I should point this out.

The baby was 3 weeks old and died of pneumonia. As far as I can tell, the baby would have required to be in neonatal care, involving an incubator to provide a stable warm temperature, and a lot of oxygen.

Now let's put this neonate onto a plane for a few hours. To ensure it's survival all of the equipment would have to be used on the plane, and stability would need to be very important. Furthermore you would need a qualified team to look after the neonate during the flight. All of this would be needed, And chances are the baby would still have died from the ordeal. Not to even mention how incredibly expensive this would be and how long it would take to arrange.

Now as far as I can tell, there are only 2 ways this baby could have gotten out of the tragedy with his life.
1) The pregnant mother would be transported to a location with a decent level of health care at the same level as the UK.
2) The medical equipment required to treat the baby could be sent to where the baby is, and when his condition stabilised and it was considered safe, the baby could be flown to the UK to stay with his family.

Now for 1, the plead for a return to the UK was quite late into the pregnancy, there was not much time to bring her over before she went into labour. Furthermore travelling when heavily pregnant and at risk of going into labour isn't exactly recommended. Not to mention what everyone has already been debating on this forum already.

For number 2, it really is easier said than done. We'd need to know exactly what the baby needed, rush to get the supplies and equipment and quickly send it over. This takes time, good communication and money.

Overall, the baby was screwed the minute it didn't get born in a country with a developed medical system. It's a sad tragedy, but I'd hardly say the UK had an easy solution, same with the Dutch. The mother betrayed her country and suddenly asked to return when things didn't work out (Even though she was manipulated and brainwashed at age 15). The father probably commited many atrocities in the name of Allah.

The innocent baby is just another victim of the dickheads that are ISIS.
Last edited by Handecanistan on Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:28 am

As tragic as this outcome is, there's nothing that Her Majesty's Government could realistically be expected to have done to avoid it. Ultimately the fault lies with the mother, and I have to say that I would rather the money resources that would have gone into mounting a mission to rescue this baby from Syria by wresting him from his obstinate mother who seemed determined to use him as leverage to get herself out of the hole she has dug for herself went towards child protection services here in the UK. Far more children could be helped that way.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:35 am

Unfortunate the child died. But the blame is completely on the mother.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:39 am

Another victim of the British government and its disregard for human life.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Terruana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Terruana » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:03 am

Sahansahiye Iran wrote:
Terruana wrote:
Since you know so much about HMPO and the FCO, perhaps you can answer a question for me then. I've been looking into how applications on behalf of children are handled, and found an article from the BBC in 2014 which is describing how HMPO was folded into the home office. It states "However, the contingency that allowed those applying for passports overseas on behalf of their children to claim emergency travel documents will be ended and the process will return to normal, with this option available only on urgent and compassionate grounds.

"If you need an emergency travel document to leave Syria, contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office."

It's almost like the Home Office told them exactly what to do and they apparently didn't. And then if you follow the FCO link

"The UK has suspended all services of the British Embassy in Damascus and all diplomatic and consular staff have been withdrawn from Syria. British nationals requiring assistance should make their way to a neighbouring country where the UK has a consular presence."

They didn't. Again, there are processes in place to do literally all of this. They didn't.

On reflection, you may be right. It seems they did not follow the correct procedure, so sticking to the established processes would mean the home office responding exactly the way they did.
Political Compass Score:
Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.15

Terruana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Terruana » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:05 am

Dooom35796821595 wrote:
Terruana wrote:
Since you know so much about HMPO and the FCO, perhaps you can answer a question for me then. I've been looking into how applications on behalf of children are handled, and found an article from the BBC in 2014 which is describing how HMPO was folded into the home office. It states "However, the contingency that allowed those applying for passports overseas on behalf of their children to claim emergency travel documents will be ended and the process will return to normal, with this option available only on urgent and compassionate grounds.".

See the bold, and this sounds like emergency measures to deal with a massive backlog of applications.

I was actually more interested in the sentence at the end, about different options being available on urgent and compassionate grounds. But either way, I concede that the home office response was entirely in keeping with their established procedures.
Political Compass Score:

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:05 am

Sahansahiye Iran wrote:
Terruana wrote:

Can you tell me how it is practical for a single teenage woman alone with a newborn baby to travel through a war zone, through a closed border, and attempt to find a British embassy?
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Terruana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Terruana » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:11 am

Handecanistan wrote:Since everyone hasn't seem to be taking this into account, I figure I should point this out.

The baby was 3 weeks old and died of pneumonia. As far as I can tell, the baby would have required to be in neonatal care, involving an incubator to provide a stable warm temperature, and a lot of oxygen.

Now let's put this neonate onto a plane for a few hours. To ensure it's survival all of the equipment would have to be used on the plane, and stability would need to be very important. Furthermore you would need a qualified team to look after the neonate during the flight. All of this would be needed, And chances are the baby would still have died from the ordeal. Not to even mention how incredibly expensive this would be and how long it would take to arrange.

Now as far as I can tell, there are only 2 ways this baby could have gotten out of the tragedy with his life.
1) The pregnant mother would be transported to a location with a decent level of health care at the same level as the UK.
2) The medical equipment required to treat the baby could be sent to where the baby is, and when his condition stabilised and it was considered safe, the baby could be flown to the UK to stay with his family.

Now for 1, the plead for a return to the UK was quite late into the pregnancy, there was not much time to bring her over before she went into labour. Furthermore travelling when heavily pregnant and at risk of going into labour isn't exactly recommended. Not to mention what everyone has already been debating on this forum already.

For number 2, it really is easier said than done. We'd need to know exactly what the baby needed, rush to get the supplies and equipment and quickly send it over. This takes time, good communication and money.

Overall, the baby was screwed the minute it didn't get born in a country with a developed medical system. It's a sad tragedy, but I'd hardly say the UK had an easy solution, same with the Dutch. The mother betrayed her country and suddenly asked to return when things didn't work out (Even though she was manipulated and brainwashed at age 15). The father probably commited many atrocities in the name of Allah.

My initial thinking was that something should have been done before he got pneumonia. The government had known about him and where he was for 3 weeks, and took no steps towards safeguarding him. They were so caught up in preventing the mother from coming home that it seems nobody even considered what was best for the baby.

However, as other posters have made clear, there was no easy way to get the child out of Syria due to the lack of an active embassy. The established rules and regulations regarding passports and citizens stranded in active warzones apparently prevent any attempt at assistance anyway.
Political Compass Score:

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:13 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Unfortunate the child died. But the blame is completely on the mother.

Yup. All three children dying is predictable when you try to raise them in a war zone.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:18 am

"UK citizen"

Does this mean the Brits add child endangerment or manslaughter to the list of reasons she's a scumbag?
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Terruana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Terruana » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:22 am

Conserative Morality wrote:"UK citizen"

Does this mean the Brits add child endangerment or manslaughter to the list of reasons she's a scumbag?

Probably not, because she wasn't pregnant when she left the uk, and since she was underage when she was married, it would be classed as statutory rape. I guess you could argue the father would be responsible for child endangerment though?
Political Compass Score:

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:23 am

It's unfortunate that the child died, that's all.

I would say that at the very least, the kid could be taken to some orphanage to be adopted. I mean... I'm sure that even when labelled as the "child of a terrorist", no three-week-old deserves to go that way because of terrible circumstances.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:23 am

Terruana wrote:Probably not, because she wasn't pregnant when she left the uk,

Doesn't matter. She failed to follow the instructions of the UK's government, and in doing so, ended up killing a UK citizen.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Terruana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Terruana » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:26 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
Terruana wrote:Probably not, because she wasn't pregnant when she left the uk,

Doesn't matter. She failed to follow the instructions of the UK's government, and in doing so, ended up killing a UK citizen.

But unless she got pregnant willingly, the only person she endangered by leaving was herself.
Political Compass Score:

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:28 am

Terruana wrote:But unless she got pregnant willingly, the only person she endangered by leaving was herself.

It's not leaving that got the kid killed. It was failing to go through the recommended procedure to get out of a fucking warzone, because she knew that by following said procedure, she'd have to take responsibility for her actions regarding joining a fucking terrorist organization.

Terruana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Terruana » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:34 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
Terruana wrote:But unless she got pregnant willingly, the only person she endangered by leaving was herself.

It's not leaving that got the kid killed. It was failing to go through the recommended procedure to get out of a fucking warzone, because she knew that by following said procedure, she'd have to take responsibility for her actions regarding joining a fucking terrorist organization.

Maybe, but as has already been established, there is no procedure in place for getting out of Syria, except possibly walking to a neighbouring country with an embassy (not a viable option with a neonate).

Also, once her citizenship had been stripped, she had no way of leaving at all
Political Compass Score:

Eitoan
Envoy

Founded: Jan 04, 2018
Corporate Bordello

Postby Eitoan » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:37 am

An excellent start.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:38 am

Eitoan wrote:An excellent start.

Why is that then?
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Handecanistan
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Handecanistan » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:27 am

Terruana wrote:
Handecanistan wrote:Since everyone hasn't seem to be taking this into account, I figure I should point this out.

My initial thinking was that something should have been done before he got pneumonia. The government had known about him and where he was for 3 weeks, and took no steps towards safeguarding him. They were so caught up in preventing the mother from coming home that it seems nobody even considered what was best for the baby.

However, as other posters have made clear, there was no easy way to get the child out of Syria due to the lack of an active embassy. The established rules and regulations regarding passports and citizens stranded in active warzones apparently prevent any attempt at assistance anyway.

Do you think the kid just developed sudden pneumonia at 3 weeks old? I'm about 90% confident the baby was born and instantly needed medical attention. That, or the baby was not cared for appropriately after birth. My point is that during this 3 week period of the baby's life there was no realistic way to transport the baby back to the UK that it would have been able to tolerate. At that stage the only option would have been to send medical aid instead of putting the poor thing onto a plane.

I don't actually know exactly what health issues the baby had, other than the pneumonia at death, but I can guarantee that it was in no state to travel, and that it probably had many complicated health issues that would need to have been resolved.

I stand by my claim that the only real hope this child had to survive would have been if he was born in a location with a developed health system, but that would involve bringing his criminal mother back to the UK or into another country. Furthermore there wasn't enough time for this to be arranged before the mother went in to labour anyway.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:30 am

Handecanistan wrote:
Terruana wrote:

Do you think the kid just developed sudden pneumonia at 3 weeks old? I'm about 90% confident the baby was born and instantly needed medical attention. That, or the baby was not cared for appropriately after birth. My point is that during this 3 week period of the baby's life there was no realistic way to transport the baby back to the UK that it would have been able to tolerate. At that stage the only option would have been to send medical aid instead of putting the poor thing onto a plane.

I don't actually know exactly what health issues the baby had, other than the pneumonia at death, but I can guarantee that it was in no state to travel, and that it probably had many complicated health issues that would need to have been resolved.

I stand by my claim that the only real hope this child had to survive would have been if he was born in a location with a developed health system, but that would involve bringing his criminal mother back to the UK or into another country. Furthermore there wasn't enough time for this to be arranged before the mother went in to labour anyway.

The UK could have negotiated an arrangement with Turkey, a country it has good relations with, to allow the baby to have been treated there, could it not?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General