NATION

PASSWORD

A Power Struggle Hypothetical

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you help Felicie?

“That’s NOT happening.” Sit back and watch the show.
73%
“Guards! Protect the Hand!”
27%

Total votes : 48

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:07 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Caracasus wrote:Ahh the old 'redheaded women are evil temptresses' trope and a bit of good ole classism too.

Joke's on you. I've been working with her in secret for years now.

Good old classism?

what classism?

She's from a poorer noble house. Obviously the scenario would never accept a commoner marrying into royalty, so she is a standin for those awful scary commoners who want to take your stuff.

The redhead being a wicked temptress as a trope is pretty much the only legitimate medievil thing here.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:13 am

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Am I the only person who has the most sensible solution?:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Both are in the wrong in this case: Felicie for executing lords for no reason, the the lords for accusing her of crimes without evidence. Both will be put on trial.

IM you should really have an "Other" option in your hypotheticals' polls.

IM please do what the last sentence says.

You mean the second response in the thread :p
Heloin wrote:I arrest everyone in the room. Felicie poisoned the King and that can not go unpunished. The Lords are attempting a coup, and that can also not go unpunished. I declare myself Lord Protector and take over the kingdom.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:49 pm

Caracasus wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
Good old classism?

what classism?

She's from a poorer noble house. Obviously the scenario would never accept a commoner marrying into royalty, so she is a standin for those awful scary commoners who want to take your stuff.

The redhead being a wicked temptress as a trope is pretty much the only legitimate medievil thing here.

Yes. Good catch.

I honestly expected the first to generate more sympathy for her to be honest.

Part of the reason the lords want her out is simply based on her low tier noble status and the fact that she’s a woman. If the same person had been male and higher up? Possibly these lords would not have acted.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:04 pm

Heloin wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Am I the only person who has the most sensible solution?:

IM please do what the last sentence says.

You mean the second response in the thread :p
Heloin wrote:I arrest everyone in the room. Felicie poisoned the King and that can not go unpunished. The Lords are attempting a coup, and that can also not go unpunished. I declare myself Lord Protector and take over the kingdom.

I think they are less interested in power and just want to do their job and arrest wrongdoers

It’s one of the more altruistic posts

Everyone else just wants to adopt the tactics of either Palpatine or Stalin/Mao

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:06 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Heloin wrote:You mean the second response in the thread :p

I think they are less interested in power and just want to do their job and arrest wrongdoers

Well I mean those guys did end up taking power in a major power so you know. Fuck honor and justice I´m taking power.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:20 pm

Andsed wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Well I mean those guys did end up taking power in a major power so you know. Fuck honor and justice I´m taking power.

What do you mean?

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:21 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Andsed wrote:Well I mean those guys did end up taking power in a major power so you know. Fuck honor and justice I´m taking power.

What do you mean?

I mean that if I need to do something unhonorable to gain power I´m going to do it.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:51 pm

Kill the wench.

Honor is cool and all but it's also weakness. I'm not a dog.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:03 pm

Andsed wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
What do you mean?

I mean that if I need to do something unhonorable to gain power I´m going to do it.

Do you not have enough already?

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:04 pm

Esternial wrote:Kill the wench.

A dog? What do you mean?

Klorgia1
Envoy

Founded: Aug 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Klorgia1 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:08 pm

Rather she secretly be jailed for her actions then killed outright. Perhaps now we can even begin to check the King's power legally, with her imprisoned.
Last edited by Klorgia1 on Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
News: This Sig Still Exists.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:08 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Andsed wrote:I mean that if I need to do something unhonorable to gain power I´m going to do it.

Do you not have enough already?

Yeah but getting more power is always a good thing. Honor is just a buzzword in politics.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:08 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Esternial wrote:Kill the wench.

A dog? What do you mean?

For someone who just made a GoT-inspired thread your knowledge of it rather superficial, it seems.

Auristania
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Auristania » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:27 pm

I execute the Treasonous Barons. Unfortunately our great and glorious King accidently cuts his own head off in a freak shaving accident and the only way that I can fulfill my Patriotic Duty to comfort the Beautiful Felice who has HUGE … tracts of land is to marry the grieving widow and be elected Auristan, first of his name, King of the Andals and the First Men, Defender of the Faith and Protector of the Realm Amen

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:46 pm

Auristania wrote:I execute the Treasonous Barons. Unfortunately our great and glorious King accidently cuts his own head off in a freak shaving accident and the only way that I can fulfill my Patriotic Duty to comfort the Beautiful Felice who has HUGE … tracts of land is to marry the grieving widow and be elected Auristan, first of his name, King of the Andals and the First Men, Defender of the Faith and Protector of the Realm Amen

She isn't married to the King yet.

Also I hate to disappoint you, but she wouldn't be in line to the Throne anyways.

Auristania
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Auristania » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:09 pm

Heloin wrote:
Auristania wrote:I execute the Treasonous Barons. Unfortunately our great and glorious King accidently cuts his own head off in a freak shaving accident and the only way that I can fulfill my Patriotic Duty to comfort the Beautiful Felice who has HUGE … tracts of land is to marry the grieving widow and be elected Auristan, first of his name, King of the Andals and the First Men, Defender of the Faith and Protector of the Realm Amen

She isn't married to the King yet.

Also I hate to disappoint you, but she wouldn't be in line to the Throne anyways.

Kefka defined that Felice has HUGE … tracts of Land and that I have HUGE … armies of Soldiers.

Also, did I mention that I have executed the Treasonous Barons? Did I mention that having a closer bloodline right to the throne than King Auristan first of his name is an act of Treason?

Auristan, Auristan, he's our boy
If he can't do it, no-one will.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:18 pm

Auristania wrote:
Heloin wrote:She isn't married to the King yet.

Kefka defined that Felice has HUGE … tracts of Land and that I have HUGE … armies of Soldiers.

Also, did I mention that I have executed the Treasonous Barons? Did I mention that having a closer bloodline right to the throne than King Auristan first of his name is an act of Treason?

Unless IM has made sweeping changes to the OP when I wasn't looking Felice have any sort of Army, though she does have huge trace of land :p

Then marry someone related to the King, cause Felice ain't related to the king. Then you can claim all of dead Felice's land for yourself along with the whole Kingdom.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:44 pm

Esternial wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
A dog? What do you mean?

For someone who just made a GoT-inspired thread your knowledge of it rather superficial, it seems.

Is that a Clegane reference?

THE HOUND????

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:47 pm

Generally, huge tracts of land are not the way to go in terms of manipulating kings. You'd need other types of endowments; I'm not even sure if its a mere matter of size.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:19 pm

Klorgia1 wrote:Rather she secretly be jailed for her actions then killed outright. Perhaps now we can even begin to check the King's power legally, with her imprisoned.

why do you want to jail her instead?

Jassysworth 1
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jassysworth 1 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:00 pm

Best analysis

prolly this

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:05 pm

Heloin wrote:
Auristania wrote:Kefka defined that Felice has HUGE … tracts of Land and that I have HUGE … armies of Soldiers.

Unless IM has made sweeping changes to the OP when I wasn't looking Felice have any sort of Army, though she does have huge trace of land :p

Then marry someone related to the King, cause Felice ain't related to the king. Then you can claim all of dead Felice's land for yourself along with the whole Kingdom.

The King gave Felicie lots of lands and titles, and along with those lands technically there are a lot of warriors and regional soldiers attached. On paper she can demand that those people act on their oaths of loyalty and bring forth soldiers.

However, this power is untested and is a lot more fragile than it looks because she appears as an "upstart" to the lesser nobles. The King also had to dispossess or re-locate lots former lords and some of them may have the charisma to get the soldiers back from Felicie.

Her power base is fragile and she has no military command experience either. She'd have to rely on the regional commanders and they might choose not to back her.

You can think of her as similar to Lord Baelish from Thrones. Technically an owner of lots of lands and holding a lot of title... but she doesn't have the family name to really deserve any of that and she's earned it through manipulating the king so she's not really well liked or respected. Maybe she can mobilise them, maybe she can't. If she suddenly dies the vassals attached to the lands definitely won't be clamouring to avenge her.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:10 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Heloin wrote:Unless IM has made sweeping changes to the OP when I wasn't looking Felice have any sort of Army, though she does have huge trace of land :p

The King gave Felicie lots of lands and titles, and along with those lands technically there are a lot of warriors and regional soldiers attached. On paper she can demand that those people act on their oaths of loyalty and bring forth soldiers.

However, this power is untested and is a lot more fragile than it looks because she appears as an "upstart" to the lesser nobles. The King also had to dispossess or re-locate lots former lords and some of them may have the charisma to get the soldiers back from Felicie.

Her power base is fragile and she has no military command experience either. She'd have to rely on the regional commanders and they might choose not to back her.

Then once the nobility kill her I have literally nothing to fear. Great!

You can think of her as similar to Lord Baelish from Thrones. Technically an owner of lots of lands and holding a lot of title... but she doesn't have the family name to really deserve any of that and she's earned it through manipulating the king so she's not really well liked or respected. Maybe she can mobilise them, maybe she can't. If she suddenly dies the vassals attached to the lands definitely won't be clamouring to avenge her.

I don't know who a Lord Baelish.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:38 pm

Heloin wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

But what about your sworn loyalty to the Hand of the King/King? Will your conscience be clear?

You'll just allow the woman to be killed summarily?

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:05 am

Heloin wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

That's a reasonable (but not guaranteed) gamble.

The scenario was supposed to be set up as a Duty vs Career/Personal Vendetta dilemma

I'm not sure if its really successful (or not) in that regards

not backing Felicie is intended to be the "easy" choice

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General