NATION

PASSWORD

UK Politics Thread IX: The Masses Against the Classes

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who is your preferred Conservative Party leadership candidate?

Gove
4%
Hunt
9%
Javid
4%
Johnson
31%
Raab
9%
Stewart
42%

Total votes : 119

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Thu May 30, 2019 4:02 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Hirota wrote:Why does anyone still expect Vass to read more than the big letters at the top of an article? :eyebrow:

i haven't spent much time in NSG before this...
Ha, just think of your average newbie Godmodder who has just joined the WA and who thinks that they can decide what resolutions do and do not apply to them. :D

Also, 13 years stuck in the GA is too long to be healthy my friend. Are you still roleplaying a nation of sentient bears?
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu May 30, 2019 4:07 am

Hirota wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:The stoppage that was just brought forward from the summer and would have happened anyway 3 months later?
Why does anyone still expect Vass to read more than the big letters at the top of an article? :eyebrow:

But car production has a habit of peaks and troughs that will affect production from time to time. It recovers often by itself, and as Bears has pointed out, other factors than Brexit are also to blame.

So yeah, whilst it's not a good thing, it's not exactly the apocalypse that certain people seem to hope will appear to vindicate the doomsaying and wailing.

Oh right. I forgot people are that desperate to stick their heads in the sand to pretend Brexit will be the greatest thing in the history of ever. :roll:
Last edited by Vassenor on Thu May 30, 2019 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu May 30, 2019 4:10 am

Hirota wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:i haven't spent much time in NSG before this...
Ha, just think of your average newbie Godmodder who has just joined the WA and who thinks that they can decide what resolutions do and do not apply to them. :D

Also, 13 years stuck in the GA is too long to be healthy my friend. Are you still roleplaying a nation of sentient bears?

Actually, I'm starting to feel a bit burnt-out as far as the GA's concerned: That's one reason why I'm looking into this section of the forums now, although I'll probably go back over to NS Sports (where I was enjoyable active during a previous reduction in my GA activity) soon instead.

And that's several nations of sapient Bears.

^_^
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Platypus Bureaucracy
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Platypus Bureaucracy » Thu May 30, 2019 4:35 am

I'm beginning to wonder if Vass might be a parody account with enormous stamina. Or else a social experiment to test our tolerance for...I don't know. I don't even have a word to describe what it is she does.
Platypus of the non-venomous, egg-laying variety
Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:I will never stop being a gay platypus.

The Huskar Social Union wrote:You glorifted ducking wanabe sea pheasant

Platapusses are not rel

Ostroeuropa wrote:"Can we just eat SOME of the rich?"

Hirota
Powerbroker

Postby Hirota » Thu May 30, 2019 4:50 am

Vassenor wrote:
Hirota wrote:Why does anyone still expect Vass to read more than the big letters at the top of an article? :eyebrow:

But car production has a habit of peaks and troughs that will affect production from time to time. It recovers often by itself, and as Bears has pointed out, other factors than Brexit are also to blame.

So yeah, whilst it's not a good thing, it's not exactly the apocalypse that certain people seem to hope will appear to vindicate the doomsaying and wailing.

Oh right. I forgot people are that desperate to stick their heads in the sand to pretend Brexit will be the greatest thing in the history of ever. :roll:
Yes, yes, keep proving me right, keep being utterly useless at reading, keep misrepresenting posts and making incredibly stupid and doomed to fail attempts at responses that are such obvious falsehoods that nobody with an ounce of rationality will take you seriously.

I'm sure there must be a word to describe someone like that.
Last edited by Hirota on Thu May 30, 2019 5:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 30, 2019 5:15 am

Vassenor wrote:

Do you actually come on nsg to make a serious contribution?
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Thu May 30, 2019 5:35 am

Vassenor wrote:

Develop eyes and read things for once
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Thu May 30, 2019 5:38 am

Vassenor wrote:

Ad hominem much?
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Platypus Bureaucracy
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Platypus Bureaucracy » Thu May 30, 2019 5:39 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Develop eyes and read things for once

She's rolled them so much that they're permanently stuck looking into her skull.
Platypus of the non-venomous, egg-laying variety
Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:I will never stop being a gay platypus.

The Huskar Social Union wrote:You glorifted ducking wanabe sea pheasant

Platapusses are not rel

Ostroeuropa wrote:"Can we just eat SOME of the rich?"

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Thu May 30, 2019 5:47 am

Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Develop eyes and read things for once

She's rolled them so much that they're permanently stuck looking into her skull.

:clap:
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu May 30, 2019 5:56 am

Not a mod, obviously, but pretty sure Vassenor isn't the topic of the thread...

As for the article, yes it does state that there is a global slowdown in car manufacturing, and there's no doubt that the downturn is partially attributable to that. However, the article also highlights instability in our own market as a potential exacerbating factor and states:
a no-deal Brexit would make the declines worse with the threat of border delays, production stoppages and additional costs.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Thu May 30, 2019 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Thu May 30, 2019 6:05 am

The Free Joy State wrote:Not a mod, obviously, but pretty sure Vassenor isn't the topic of the thread...

As for the article, yes it does state that there is a global slowdown in car manufacturing, and there's no doubt that the downturn is partially attributable to that. However, the article also highlights instability in our own market as a potential exacerbating factor and states:
a no-deal Brexit would make the declines worse with the threat of border delays, production stoppages and additional costs.

It should also be pointed out that the article says that the global slowdown is much, much less than the slowdown in Britain. Only a fifth less cars made globally but in the UK we're down by half.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Hirota
Powerbroker

Postby Hirota » Thu May 30, 2019 6:30 am

Chan Island wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Not a mod, obviously, but pretty sure Vassenor isn't the topic of the thread...

It should also be pointed out that the article says that the global slowdown is much, much less than the slowdown in Britain. Only a fifth less cars made globally but in the UK we're down by half.
We've had 55% drops in UK production of cars in previous years - I linked to it up there. It's bad sure, but not remarkable in the grand scheme of things.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 30, 2019 6:36 am

It also said that we were expecting this shutdown, but it generally happened in the summer holidays.
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Thu May 30, 2019 7:35 am

With 50% of Tory endorsements in, here are the results.

https://i.redd.it/zya08ve58c131.jpg

Rory Stewart literally bottom of the pile with 1%. This despite him telling people he once did Heroin at an Iranian wedding during his weird hike around the middle east by himself in a warzone because the family passed it around and he was like OH OKAY. CULTURE. Which some people are trying to make into a big deal in both senses.
Others are memeing about Rory visiting Manchester and doing a documentary there where he is like;
"I am here at what the natives call a 'Drum and Bass concert' and have been honored with an invitation to join them in sampling a local delicacy known as 'spice' which they assure me is 'mad gurney shit'"

And so on.

Top 4:
Jeremy Hunt
Boris Johnson
Michael Gove
Dominic Raab

I think we can expect it to be whittled down to these ones over time.

Johnson might not make it to the run off where the public actually votes because the MPs might tactically exclude him and endorse one of the other 3. That'd be my bet.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Thu May 30, 2019 7:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 30, 2019 7:43 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:With 50% of Tory endorsements in, here are the results.

Rory Stewart literally bottom of the pile with 1%. This despite him telling people he once did Heroin at an Iranian wedding during his weird hike around the middle east by himself in a warzone because the family passed it around and he was like OH OKAY. CULTURE. Which some people are trying to make into a big deal.

Top 4:
Jeremy Hunt
Boris Johnson
Michael Gove
Dominic Raab

Johnson might not make it to the run off where the public actually votes because the MPs might tactically exclude him and endorse one of the other 3. That'd be my bet.

If the mps get it down to two remainers (Johnson and hancock) we might see the death of the tory party.

Philjia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 15, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Philjia » Thu May 30, 2019 7:44 am

Rory Stewart literally bottom of the pile with 1%.

Top 4:
Jeremy Hunt
Boris Johnson
Michael Gove
Dominic Raab

Johnson might not make it to the run off where the public Conservative Party membership actually votes because the MPs might tactically exclude him and endorse one of the other 3. That'd be my bet.

Jeremy Hunt is probably the least appalling of the front runners, and will probably be the preferred candidate of May supporters. I hope he gets in rather than Gove, Raab, or Johnson. Oh God, I can't believe I'm supporting Jeremy Hunt for something...

The deadline for nominations is on Friday the 10th of June. Shortly after that, all candidates have been invited to take part in a televised debate on the BBC. The final two candidates will also appear in televised debates on the BBC and on Sky News some time in July, once they've been decided.
Last edited by Philjia on Thu May 30, 2019 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

⚧ Trans rights. ⚧
Pragmatic ethical utopian socialist, IE I'm for whatever kind of socialism is the most moral and practical. Pro LGBT rights and gay marriage, pro gay adoption, generally internationalist, ambivalent on the EU, atheist, pro free speech and expression, pro legalisation of prostitution and soft drugs, and pro choice. Anti authoritarian, anti Marxist. White cishet male.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Thu May 30, 2019 7:47 am

Philjia wrote:

Top 4:
Jeremy Hunt
Boris Johnson
Michael Gove
Dominic Raab

Johnson might not make it to the run off where the public Conservative Party membership actually votes because the MPs might tactically exclude him and endorse one of the other 3. That'd be my bet.

Jeremy Hunt is probably the least appalling of the front runners, and will probably be the preferred candidate of May supporters. I hope he gets in rather than Gove, Raab, or Johnson. Oh God, I can't believe I'm supporting Jeremy Hunt for something...

The deadline for nominations is on Friday the 10th of June. Shortly after that, all candidates have been invited to take part in a televised debate on the BBC. The final two candidates will also appear in televised debates on the BBC and on Sky News some time in July, once they've been decided.

I'm betting it'll be Hunt V Gove or Hunt V Raab. At that point it'll depend on who can position themselves as the Brexiest Brexiteer. That's not looking good for Hunt, since he said he will delay Brexit.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Thu May 30, 2019 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Liriena
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Liriena » Thu May 30, 2019 7:54 am

Some right-wing libertarian Argie presidential hopeful was talking about all the wonderful trade deals he'd make with a post-Brexit Great Britain and... surprisingly, I can kinda see that working out, with all the talk I've been seeing of potential food supply issues under a no deal Brexit.
be gay do crime

I am:
A pansexual, pantheist, green socialist
An aspiring writer and journalist
Political compass stuff:
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.92
For: Grassroots democracy, workers' self-management, humanitarianism, pacifism, pluralism, environmentalism, interculturalism, indigenous rights, minority rights, LGBT+ rights, feminism, optimism
Against: Nationalism, authoritarianism, fascism, conservatism, populism, violence, ethnocentrism, racism, sexism, religious bigotry, anti-LGBT+ bigotry, death penalty, neoliberalism, tribalism,
cynicism

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig
if you passed biology and know
gender and sex aren't the same thing.⚧

I disown most of my previous posts

Liriena
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Liriena » Thu May 30, 2019 7:56 am

Top 4:
Jeremy Hunt
Boris Johnson

So the first two options are literally the cunt who's been proudly gutting the NHS and a racist aristocratic buffoon?

Almost makes me yearn for the Tories to get utterly usurped by the Brexit Party.
be gay do crime

I am:
Political compass stuff:
For: Grassroots democracy, workers' self-management, humanitarianism, pacifism, pluralism, environmentalism, interculturalism, indigenous rights, minority rights, LGBT+ rights, feminism, optimism
Against: Nationalism, authoritarianism, fascism, conservatism, populism, violence, ethnocentrism, racism, sexism, religious bigotry, anti-LGBT+ bigotry, death penalty, neoliberalism, tribalism,
cynicism

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Thu May 30, 2019 7:58 am

Liriena wrote:

Top 4:
Jeremy Hunt
Boris Johnson

So the first two options are literally the cunt who's been proudly gutting the NHS and a racist aristocratic buffoon?

Almost makes me yearn for the Tories to get utterly usurped by the Brexit Party.

Pretty much. Just confirms a comment I saw on reddit on the topic;
"Rory Stewart is the most popular candidate for Conservative leader among people who have never and will never vote for the Conservative party.".

This kind of shit is why. Reveals what sort of people they actually are.
Ostro.MOV

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Thu May 30, 2019 8:00 am

prime minister boris johnson, prime minister jeremy hunt or prime minister micahel gove

i can't do this shit
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Thu May 30, 2019 8:02 am

Souseiseki wrote:prime minister boris johnson, prime minister jeremy hunt or prime minister micahel gove

i can't do this shit

I'd place my bets on Raab before Johnson. The other candidates and their MPs will tactically exclude him because they know he will probably win the party membership vote.
Ostro.MOV

Liriena
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Liriena » Thu May 30, 2019 8:05 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Liriena wrote:So the first two options are literally the cunt who's been proudly gutting the NHS and a racist aristocratic buffoon?

"Rory Stewart is the most popular candidate for Conservative leader among people who have never and will never vote for the Conservative party.".

[John McDonnell intensifies]
be gay do crime

I am:
Political compass stuff:
cynicism

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Thu May 30, 2019 8:07 am

Liriena wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

[John McDonnell intensifies]

Is that a real quote?

I can't tell.

His speech about democracy being biased in favor of conservatism and liberalism and incapable of producing reforms without "Direct action" by the workers was one that made me sit up and pay attention.
Ostro.MOV

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General