NATION

PASSWORD

UK Politics Thread IX: The Masses Against the Classes

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who is your preferred Conservative Party leadership candidate?

Gove
4%
Hunt
9%
Javid
4%
Johnson
31%
Raab
9%
Stewart
42%

Total votes : 119

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:08 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:No, but they can sanction or embargo the UK (or even outright invade it if things get bad enough). You can't just get rid of the international community by pretending that it doesn't exist.

Sure!

Countries will embargo the UK because we have lower food safety standards.

They will refuse to trade with us if our safety and welfare standards aren't equivalent.

If we embrace working practises that are dangerous to human life, they could embargo us.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:09 am

Uan aa Boa wrote:If you don't care about what happens how come you're on here on a daily basis arguing that there should be a no deal Brexit? This edgy nihilism thing isn't nearly as interesting as you might believe.

I don't say what I say to provoke a reaction, I've only ever said what I truly think about a given issue here (unless I'm being obviously sarcastic.)

You're missing the point. You keep arguing that there should be a no deal Brexit, but not once have you demonstrated a good reason why there should be a no deal Brexit.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:09 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Sure!

They will refuse to trade with us if our safety and welfare standards aren't equivalent.

If we embrace working practises that are dangerous to human life, they could embargo us.

Can you give me an example of a country that has faced international sanctions over health and safety at work?
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:10 am

Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:No, but they can sanction or embargo the UK (or even outright invade it if things get bad enough). You can't just get rid of the international community by pretending that it doesn't exist.

Sure!

Why would a nation buy food from the UK if that food doesn't meet its safety standards?
Obviously a full embargo over food safety alone is probably not going to happen, but food safety was also not the only thing that the UK doesn't need (according to you, at least).

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:11 am

Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I don't say what I say to provoke a reaction, I've only ever said what I truly think about a given issue here (unless I'm being obviously sarcastic.)

You're missing the point. You keep arguing that there should be a no deal Brexit, but not once have you demonstrated a good reason why there should be a no deal Brexit.

The fact that you consider every reason for a no deal Brexit to be a bad reason doesn't mean that I haven't been explaining why I want a no-deal Brexit. In fact, a no deal Brexit isn't compulsory...if it's that or a Theresa May Brexit though, it's no deal any day of the week.
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:11 am

The Free Joy State wrote:They will refuse to trade with us if our safety and welfare standards aren't equivalent.

Can you give me an example of a country that has faced international sanctions over health and safety at work?

Can you give me a reason why it couldn't happen?

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:11 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Sure!

Why would a nation buy food from the UK if that food doesn't meet its safety standards?
Obviously a full embargo over food safety alone is probably not going to happen, but food safety was also not the only thing that the UK doesn't need (according to you, at least).

Why do people still buy American-produced food?

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:12 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Can you give me an example of a country that has faced international sanctions over health and safety at work?

Can you give me a reason why it couldn't happen?

Because countries and companies give far more tosses about the bottom line than they do about the rights of a worker thousands of miles away.

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:16 am

Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:You're missing the point. You keep arguing that there should be a no deal Brexit, but not once have you demonstrated a good reason why there should be a no deal Brexit.

The fact that you consider every reason for a no deal Brexit to be a bad reason doesn't mean that I haven't been explaining why I want a no-deal Brexit. In fact, a no deal Brexit isn't compulsory...if it's that or a Theresa May Brexit though, it's no deal any day of the week.

You say that you've been explaining why you want it, but I'm still trying to figure out how the fuck it's supposed to benefit you or anyone else. As you yourself have admitted, you don't think this is going to benefit you. You have no logical reason to want a no deal Brexit (yes, you've given reasons, but when asked to explain why they're good reasons, you never seem to give a good explanation).
There are reasons, good reasons, to want a no deal Brexit, but your arguments for it are neither good nor reasonable.

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:18 am

Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:Why would a nation buy food from the UK if that food doesn't meet its safety standards?

Why do people still buy American-produced food?

Because it's cheap and it meets their health and safety standards. Also, the US is a diplomatic, military, and economic superpower. Britain is arguably the first one of those things, and if you get your way, it won't even be that anymore.
Also, I feel like I should point out that Britain imports 80% of the food it consumes, so the whole discussion is kind of pointless.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:19 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:The fact that you consider every reason for a no deal Brexit to be a bad reason doesn't mean that I haven't been explaining why I want a no-deal Brexit. In fact, a no deal Brexit isn't compulsory...if it's that or a Theresa May Brexit though, it's no deal any day of the week.

You say that you've been explaining why you want it, but I'm still trying to figure out how the fuck it's supposed to benefit you or anyone else. As you yourself have admitted, you don't think this is going to benefit you. You have no logical reason to want a no deal Brexit (yes, you've given reasons, but when asked to explain why they're good reasons, you never seem to give a good explanation).
There are reasons, good reasons, to want a no deal Brexit, but your arguments for it are neither good nor reasonable.

I agree, pretty much, with many of the reasons which are generally presented for it. The only difference in my standpoint from many of the people interviewed on any number of tv voxpops is that I am fully aware that, handled badly, a no deal Brexit might result in some very, very bad things happening to the country. It just doesn't bother me as much as you probs think it should.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:20 am

The Free Joy State wrote:They will refuse to trade with us if our safety and welfare standards aren't equivalent.

It could happen. From the UN (the section "Substantive occupational health issues and the right to occupational health")
The right to health requires States to take steps to prevent, treat and control diseases related to work. Despite the well-established connection between work and disease,30 the nexus between factors in the work environment and workers‟ health outcomes is not always clear or easily defined. This is particularly the case with regard to diseases caused by multiple factors.
[...]
For example, in extractive industries, exposure to dust, fumes and particulates places workers at increased risk of being affected by a number of diseases, including occupational diseases, such as coal miner‟s pneumoconiosis; work-related disease, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease; and diseases affecting working populations, such as asthma.[...] Primary prevention is considered the most effective means of reducing the burden of disease, and as such prevention of disease should be the principal aim of States.

Having no health and safety at work would make that impossible.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:21 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Can you give me an example of a country that has faced international sanctions over health and safety at work?

It could happen. From the UN (the section "Substantive occupational health issues and the right to occupational health")
The right to health requires States to take steps to prevent, treat and control diseases related to work. Despite the well-established connection between work and disease,30 the nexus between factors in the work environment and workers‟ health outcomes is not always clear or easily defined. This is particularly the case with regard to diseases caused by multiple factors.
[...]
For example, in extractive industries, exposure to dust, fumes and particulates places workers at increased risk of being affected by a number of diseases, including occupational diseases, such as coal miner‟s pneumoconiosis; work-related disease, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease; and diseases affecting working populations, such as asthma.[...] Primary prevention is considered the most effective means of reducing the burden of disease, and as such prevention of disease should be the principal aim of States.

It 'could' happen, but it won't happen. Companies want cheap products, and states which produce cheap but good products are going to get trade.

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:24 am

The Free Joy State wrote:It could happen. From the UN (the section "Substantive occupational health issues and the right to occupational health")
[...]

It 'could' happen, but it won't happen. Companies want cheap products, and states which produce cheap but good products are going to get trade.

Products made in countries with no health or safety regulations are definitely cheap, but they aren't good.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:24 am

The Free Joy State wrote:It could happen. From the UN (the section "Substantive occupational health issues and the right to occupational health")
[...]

You do realise that embargos occur despite the fact that wealthy bosses don't care about the fact people are suffering, don't you?

The wealthy business owners aren't the ones responsible for deciding to embargo or not.

And their willingness does not change the legal impossibilities of trading to countries where we do not have equivalent standards. The lower our standards slip, the fewer countries we'll be able to trade with (and that excludes the EU, which currently takes 44% of all goods and services).

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:26 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:It 'could' happen, but it won't happen. Companies want cheap products, and states which produce cheap but good products are going to get trade.

You do realise that embargos occur despite the fact that wealthy bosses don't care about the fact people are suffering, don't you?

The wealthy business owners aren't the ones responsible for deciding to embargo or not.

And their willingness does not change the legal impossibilities of trading to countries where we do not have equivalent standards. The lower our standards slip, the fewer countries we'll be able to trade with (and that excludes the EU, which currently takes 44% of all goods and services).

The wealthy business owners have a disconcerting amount of say regarding government policy.

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:27 am

The Free Joy State wrote:You do realise that embargos occur despite the fact that wealthy bosses don't care about the fact people are suffering, don't you?

The wealthy business owners have a disconcerting amount of say regarding government policy.

You describe their level of control as "disconcerting" yet them having control is the sole thing preventing your economic plan from being a colossal dumpster fire instead of just a normal-sized one.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:31 am

The Free Joy State wrote:You do realise that embargos occur despite the fact that wealthy bosses don't care about the fact people are suffering, don't you?

Our government policy, perhaps. But not that of international bodies. Not that of the UN.

The UN has already condemned the UK government.

Our government policy can change however. A government can decide to bring back child labour, that every wealthy person must own a beagle and the working classes must step off the pavement and doff their cap if the can pass the legislation.

But you can bet that there would be international condemnation, and sanctions, if they did.

EDIT: And your post didn't answer my second point -- that, if standards did keep slipping, we'd just cut off our own noses as it would be legally impossible for other countries to trade with us.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:38 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Hate to tell you this, but every country, everywhere in the world, has to think of what every other country in the world thinks of its laws. This is not going to change.

They don't all get to show how much they disagree with them in courts with supremacy over our own though, do they?

Leaving the EU won't get Britain out of the jurisdiction of international courts.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Platypus Bureaucracy
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Platypus Bureaucracy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:09 am

Oh dear.
Platypus of the non-venomous, egg-laying variety
Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:I will never stop being a gay platypus.

The Huskar Social Union wrote:You glorifted ducking wanabe sea pheasant

Platapusses are not rel

Ostroeuropa wrote:"Can we just eat SOME of the rich?"

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:10 am

Thank fuck for that, that's the worst tory gone. Next Gove, please.

Starblaydia
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 05, 2004
Father Knows Best State

Postby Starblaydia » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:11 am

Surkiea wrote:It's all the same, leftists are anti-Semites, especially the Gay-Loving, Putin-supporting Iranian puppet that Corbyn is.

Surkiea wrote:Tito was a brutal communist dictator who was against Israel, you know the Jewish State? Something you Leftists and fake Jews need to know is that Anti-Zionism IS Anti-Semitism. Oh and you're gay as well, what a shocker.

Surkiea you are *** warned for 'all X are Y' and trolling ***
Six-Time World Cup Committee President (WCs 25-33, 46-51 & 82*)
Co-host of World Cups 20, 40 & 80 • Di Bradini Cup Organiser
World Cups 30, 63 & 83 Runner-Up • World Cup 27 Third Place • 25th Baptism of Fire Runner-Up
Seven-Time AOCAF Cup Champions • Two-time U21, One-Time U18 WC Champions • Men's Football Olympic Champions, Ashford Games
Five-Time Cherry Cup Champions • 1st Quidditch World Cup Champions • WGPC8 Drivers' Champion
The Protectorate of Starblaydia
Commended by WA Security Council Resolution #40
Five-Time NS World Cup Champions (WCs 25, 28, 41, 44 & 47)

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:13 am

Most UK food production and animal welfare standards are more stringent than the EU. Like with environmental protections. We basically invented environmental health so I'm not really quite sure where this "bonfire" of standards is going to come from. Same with most of those sort of things the UK is generally in the advanced guard if not the first. Take one simple example from the tip of my head workers holiday rights. The EU standard for paid time off is 20 days, the UK standard is 28. So for most of that sort of thing it's pretty much 100% scaremongering over stuff like that because our own laws are often better than the EU already they don't sit at the EU minimum.
Slava Ukraini

Cerinda
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Cerinda » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:16 am

Well Stewart is out of the race, the only tory I ever liked is gone, between the rest of them we're fucked.
Nation does not represent irl views.
Esheaun Stroakuss wrote:As always, she and her inbred minions will be fine whilst the rest of us get our arseholes annexed by the might of the Tory thundercock.
Title: The People's Socialist Republic of Cerinda
Leader: Andrei Kamriov
Government: Unitary Marxist-Leninist one-party socialist republic
Capital: Kovograd

Will be posting again soon

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:28 am

The Nihilistic view wrote:Most UK food production and animal welfare standards are more stringent than the EU. Like with environmental protections. We basically invented environmental health so I'm not really quite sure where this "bonfire" of standards is going to come from.

The Yanks.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General