NATION

PASSWORD

The Future of Secularism

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Liegmenn
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 20, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Liegmenn » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:40 pm

Liberated Communist States wrote:
New Sukberia wrote:
Preserve the Giant wolf from eating us or the huge snake from breaking the oceans!

#Make Valhala Great Again

Why are you bashing my religion? What did I do to you?

Honestly, #MakeValhalaGreatAgain would be a great hashtag if used unironically

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:42 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:A Viking playing the victim card is a little bit of a hard-sell, imo.

Yes Norse Pagans raided other peoples. But we were primarily farmers and traders. We suffered far more at the hands of Christians and those who believed we were 'barbarians'. Do I condone everything we've done in the past? No, and I think we should leave the mistakes we made in the past, and try to make some progress. However seeing as we still are being persecuted for our beliefs, that may be difficult.

You're not really being persecuted for your beliefs, tho. Some guy on the internet made a joke about them.

People may not take your beliefs very seriously, but the only people who would persecute you for them are the same people who would persecute literally any belief other than their own. Thanks to secularism.
Last edited by Neanderthaland on Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Liberated Communist States
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberated Communist States » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:55 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Liberated Communist States wrote:Yes Norse Pagans raided other peoples. But we were primarily farmers and traders. We suffered far more at the hands of Christians and those who believed we were 'barbarians'. Do I condone everything we've done in the past? No, and I think we should leave the mistakes we made in the past, and try to make some progress. However seeing as we still are being persecuted for our beliefs, that may be difficult.

You're not really being persecuted for your beliefs, tho. Some guy on the internet made a joke about them.

People may not take your beliefs very seriously, but the only people who would persecute you for them are the same people who would persecute literally any belief other than their own. Thanks to secularism.

Hmm, true. And I have an issue with understanding humor, so I apologize if I misunderstood.

As for being persecuted, we are indeed being mocked and shamed. Its hard for Pagans of any sort to come out, I didnt for a few years. And I've been called a 'Heathen' by some, and at best am asked if I believe in Norse Paganism 'as a joke'.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:59 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:You're not really being persecuted for your beliefs, tho. Some guy on the internet made a joke about them.

Hmm, true. And I have an issue with understanding humor, so I apologize if I misunderstood.

As for being persecuted, we are indeed being mocked and shamed. Its hard for Pagans of any sort to come out, I didnt for a few years. And I've been called a 'Heathen' by some, and at best am asked if I believe in Norse Paganism 'as a joke'.

As I said, people do not take your beliefs seriously. That's not the same as being persecuted. Nobody's threatening to hang you, you're not going to be denied a mortgage application because of it.

The Grims
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grims » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:35 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Liberated Communist States wrote:Why are you bashing my religion? What did I do to you?

A Viking playing the victim card is a little bit of a hard-sell, imo.

Why ? Vikings were relatively peaceful and socially progressive. The church ofc had some negative propaganda, but we know better nowadays.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:48 pm

The Grims wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:A Viking playing the victim card is a little bit of a hard-sell, imo.

Why ? Vikings were relatively peaceful and socially progressive. The church ofc had some negative propaganda, but we know better nowadays.

Well, because Europeans outside of Scandinavia have a rather skewed view of the Vikings for understandable reasons, and no self-respecting Viking is going to play the victim card for themselves.

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:56 pm

The Grims wrote:

The noble savage meme strikes again.
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberated Communist States » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:19 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:
The Grims wrote:

Do you think the Viking weren't progressive?

Wunderstrafanstalt
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Wunderstrafanstalt » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:24 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Liberated Communist States wrote:Yes Norse Pagans raided other peoples. But we were primarily farmers and traders. We suffered far more at the hands of Christians and those who believed we were 'barbarians'. Do I condone everything we've done in the past? No, and I think we should leave the mistakes we made in the past, and try to make some progress. However seeing as we still are being persecuted for our beliefs, that may be difficult.

Well, you are luckier, thank god to secularism. :v. A dig by a random (religious) person here to my internet history aand my future suddenly becomes dark.

CFR WUNDERSTRAFANSTALT - LAIRAN UNION
"Ad astra et ultra" - "To the stars and beyond"

14.0 | MT | F17 | $LFD | Kurzgesagt | IC Flag | Flag Patron: Bill Gates

Voiced - Artemsday, 12019-5-7: PT party pledged vote for Kalvar's Green Initiative | PETRAL donated Ł1.1 mil to PT | PT voted against Green Initiative.
Your average lowkey maritime Southeast Asian on NS | C e n t r i s t social liberal | Muslim (secretly atheist, don't tell mom) | RK for President 2024, Musk for Planetary Emperor 2100
Just refer to me as "WS" instead of that long-ass name

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberated Communist States » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:26 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
The Grims wrote:

Well, because Europeans outside of Scandinavia have a rather skewed view of the Vikings for understandable reasons, and no self-respecting Viking is going to play the victim card for themselves.

They have 'skewed' views of us for religious reasons. And nobody denies we committed violence, but it was mainly to improve the lives of the Nordic peoples, and to prevent food shortages in rough seasons. Some would also say it was also do to overpopulation, but I have not found sufficient evidence for such claims. However, Christians(specifically Catholics) invaded our lands because they simply saw us as 'barbarians' and 'Heathens'. And to expand their own Kingdoms domain(which yes we did on occasion too.. so I won't judge them on that too much). But basically it was to 'civilize' us.

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberated Communist States » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:30 pm

Liegmenn wrote:
Liberated Communist States wrote:Why are you bashing my religion? What did I do to you?

Honestly, #MakeValhalaGreatAgain would be a great hashtag if used unironically

I disagree, as it has Trump-esque connotations. Also, as Valhalla is one of the realms of the Afterlife, I'm not sure how you could achieve such a goal. Unless Odins architects were slacking on the job, such an occurrence wouldn't happen anyways.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:33 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:Well, because Europeans outside of Scandinavia have a rather skewed view of the Vikings for understandable reasons, and no self-respecting Viking is going to play the victim card for themselves.

They have 'skewed' views of us for religious reasons. And nobody denies we committed violence, but it was mainly to improve the lives of the Nordic peoples, and to prevent food shortages in rough seasons. Some would also say it was also do to overpopulation, but I have not found sufficient evidence for such claims. However, Christians(specifically Catholics) invaded our lands because they simply saw us as 'barbarians' and 'Heathens'. And to expand their own Kingdoms domain(which yes we did on occasion too.. so I won't judge them on that too much). But basically it was to 'civilize' us.

That's not at all an accurate representation of what happened. I won't go into it in detail, since it's not the topic of this thread, but characterizing Viking raids as being primarily about food is... wrong. And most of our lands were never invaded at all, but were converted by Scandinavian kings who saw Christianity as an easy way to legitimize their rule.

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberated Communist States » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:34 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Liberated Communist States wrote:Hmm, true. And I have an issue with understanding humor, so I apologize if I misunderstood.

As I said, people do not take your beliefs seriously. That's not the same as being persecuted. Nobody's threatening to hang you, you're not going to be denied a mortgage application because of it.

Actually acts of violence do occur against us. Most commonly by Evangelicals(if my memory is correct) and those who think we are all racist-imperialists(which is commonly how we are portrayed in media, alongside the belief that we are worshippers of Satan, which we arent).

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberated Communist States » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:42 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Liberated Communist States wrote:They have 'skewed' views of us for religious reasons. And nobody denies we committed violence, but it was mainly to improve the lives of the Nordic peoples, and to prevent food shortages in rough seasons. Some would also say it was also do to overpopulation, but I have not found sufficient evidence for such claims. However, Christians(specifically Catholics) invaded our lands because they simply saw us as 'barbarians' and 'Heathens'. And to expand their own Kingdoms domain(which yes we did on occasion too.. so I won't judge them on that too much). But basically it was to 'civilize' us.

That's not at all an accurate representation of what happened. I won't go into it in detail, since it's not the topic of this thread, but characterizing Viking raids as being primarily about food is... wrong. And most of our lands were never invaded at all, but were converted by Scandinavian kings who saw Christianity as an easy way to legitimize their rule.

I did not mean that they were only about food. Of course their were other reasons. Defence of our beliefs being one. Territorial expansion as well, which is a complicated matter. And wealth to be used in trade with neighbours and foreign allies, like the Muslims and Celts.

And yes, many Kings did use Christianity and conversion as tools to legitimize and strengthen their own power. If I recall it was very prominent in Norway and Denmark in the early periods.

Aglanen
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aglanen » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:54 pm

The Grims wrote:

...socially progressive? How so? I haven’t read too deeply into Viking history. Aside from the invasion of Britain, the raids and trade routes established all over Europe, and something about a failed colonization attempt in Canada.
My nation does mostly reflect my personal views.
PRO: Marxism-Leninism, Revolutionary politics, Secularism, Dialectical materialism, social libertarianism, feminism (most of it), LGBT rights, Absurdism, Science, Constructivism, Industrialism
NEUTRAL: Egoism, Nihilism, Environmentalism, "Spiritual" non-conformist religions/sects, Anarchism, Left Communism, Third Worldism, Non-Binaries, Left-Wing nationalism
ANTI: Racism, Sexism, (other equally moronic prejudices)-ism, Fascism, Imperialism, Capitalism, "Dark Enlightenment," Organized Religion, Liberalism, Social Democracy, Conservatism, Objective Morality

Aglanen
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Aglanen » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:00 pm

Liberated Communist States Wait a minute, Left Nationalist Pact? I know that region, that’s the one lead by New Russia. Bunch of nazbols and strasserists, yeah?
PRO: Marxism-Leninism, Revolutionary politics, Secularism, Dialectical materialism, social libertarianism, feminism (most of it), LGBT rights, Absurdism, Science, Constructivism, Industrialism
NEUTRAL: Egoism, Nihilism, Environmentalism, "Spiritual" non-conformist religions/sects, Anarchism, Left Communism, Third Worldism, Non-Binaries, Left-Wing nationalism
ANTI: Racism, Sexism, (other equally moronic prejudices)-ism, Fascism, Imperialism, Capitalism, "Dark Enlightenment," Organized Religion, Liberalism, Social Democracy, Conservatism, Objective Morality

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberated Communist States » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:12 pm

Aglanen wrote:Liberated Communist States Wait a minute, Left Nationalist Pact? I know that region, that’s the one lead by New Russia. Bunch of nazbols and strasserists, yeah?

Who is New Russia? And we are a Syncretic group, so we have both MLs and Fascists there, as well as people who don't align with either, such as myself. I don't think the Left-Right division is effective nor beneficial in the matter of progress.

Why do you ask?

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberated Communist States » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:16 pm

Aglanen wrote:
The Grims wrote:

...socially progressive? How so? I haven’t read too deeply into Viking history. Aside from the invasion of Britain, the raids and trade routes established all over Europe, and something about a failed colonization attempt in Canada.

The Nordic cultures allowed divorce, gay and trans peoples and women warriors. And the Holmgang has been claimed as progressive by some, due to it allowing you to challenge anyone, even the Chieftain.

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberated Communist States » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:18 pm

Aglanen wrote:
The Grims wrote:

I belief you are referencing Vinland.

Korhal IVV
Senator

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:36 pm

The Xenopolis Confederation wrote:
Eglaecia wrote:Everything that God does is right. That doesn't mean what we do is right. If God does something he told us not to, but we do it anyway, we're wrong.
I don't know why you brought up jealousy anyway, what does God, an omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient being, have to be jealous of?

So lemme get this straight. A God who says that any sin is punishable by eternal suffering and all humans fundamentally have no positive or redeeming qualities except through this God. And then this God goes and explicitly expresses envy, murders countless thousands, simultaneously encourages and prohibits theft, and lies multiple times. And then this God has the nerve to call himself omnibenevolent, and humans devoid of inherent goodness. How anyone can choose to worship this megalomaniac in light of this escapes me.

1. It is not envy. It is more of righteous indignation. He is the only true god, and idolatry is an insult. In addition, as Israel is His people, He is, therefore, their God. They are bound by a covenant, and would seem that humans never fulfill their end of the contract, while God always. Take up a theology class for better understanding.
2. "Murdered" - According to what standard? Yours? If you are referring to the Flood, the Canaanite purge, and etc, it is due to people reaching the breaking point of immorality and sin even after He has given them so much time to repent. These people would have spawned a hundred Slaaneshes if they were left to continue. For more info: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 43vnrnkfv7

3. No. He does encourage theft and lies. He only lets them happen, but they are not by His directive. This is called conditional will: most things that happen are not His direct doing.
ABTH Music Education ~ AB Journalism ~ RPer ~ Keyboard Warrior ~ Futurist ~ INTJ

Economic Left/Right: -0.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
Supports: Christianity, economic development, democracy, common sense, vaccines, space colonization, and health programs
Against: Adding 100 genders, Gay marriage in a church, heresy, Nazism, abortion for no good reason, anti-vaxxers, SJW liberals, and indecency
This nation does reflect my real-life beliefs.
My vocabulary is stranger than a Tzeentchian sorceror. Bare with me.

"Whatever a person may be like, we must still love them because we love God." ~ John Calvin

Auristania
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Auristania » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:50 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:

Do you think the Viking weren't progressive?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac2veVpMPWA
Jackson Crawford is a University professor of Vikingology. His channel is excellent.

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:13 pm

Auristania wrote:
Liberated Communist States wrote:Do you think the Viking weren't progressive?

Jackson Crawford is a University professor of Vikingology. His channel is excellent.

Vikingology.

Suuure...
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Historian, of sorts.

Effortposts can be found here!

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberated Communist States » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:18 pm

Auristania wrote:
Liberated Communist States wrote:Do you think the Viking weren't progressive?

It is quite good, especially since he doesnt follow Norse Paganism himself.

And its not called Vikingology btw.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:31 pm

Korhal IVV wrote:
The Xenopolis Confederation wrote:So lemme get this straight. A God who says that any sin is punishable by eternal suffering and all humans fundamentally have no positive or redeeming qualities except through this God. And then this God goes and explicitly expresses envy, murders countless thousands, simultaneously encourages and prohibits theft, and lies multiple times. And then this God has the nerve to call himself omnibenevolent, and humans devoid of inherent goodness. How anyone can choose to worship this megalomaniac in light of this escapes me.

1. It is not envy. It is more of righteous indignation. He is the only true god, and idolatry is an insult. In addition, as Israel is His people, He is, therefore, their God. They are bound by a covenant, and would seem that humans never fulfill their end of the contract, while God always. Take up a theology class for better understanding.
2. "Murdered" - According to what standard? Yours? If you are referring to the Flood, the Canaanite purge, and etc, it is due to people reaching the breaking point of immorality and sin even after He has given them so much time to repent. These people would have spawned a hundred Slaaneshes if they were left to continue. For more info: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 43vnrnkfv7

3. No. He does encourage theft and lies. He only lets them happen, but they are not by His directive. This is called conditional will: most things that happen are not His direct doing.

The flood would have been killing toddlers as well. And make up whatever horseshit about how everyone was just totally evil but killing toddlers is murder and evil plain and simple. How were toddlers in any way guilty of any crimes?

Edit: Also not to mention the plagues in Egypt which were unnecessary and killed more innocents because god wanted to win some dick measuring contest with the Egyptian gods because his ego could not take the fact people were worshiping other gods.
Last edited by Andsed on Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Aglanen
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Aglanen » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:01 pm

Andsed wrote:The flood would have been killing toddlers as well. And make up whatever horseshit about how everyone was just totally evil but killing toddlers is murder and evil plain and simple. How were toddlers in any way guilty of any crimes?

Edit: Also not to mention the plagues in Egypt which were unnecessary and killed more innocents because god wanted to win some dick measuring contest with the Egyptian gods because his ego could not take the fact people were worshiping other gods.

Makes you really question the moral compass of some of these people when they think just about every egregious, despicable act all the way up to global genocide is justifiable if they think their God wills it.
Last edited by Aglanen on Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General