NATION

PASSWORD

Should There Be A Right To Discriminate?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Psukhe
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Psukhe » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:50 pm

Fedel wrote:Personally, I'm less interested in the colloquial use of the term or the strict definitive meaning as what the OP intended since otherwise, as you mentioned, it devolves into a debate about semantics.

You'd have to look at the variety of factors surrounding why black people as a population commit violence more regularly on average to assess the general likelihood of danger you're putting yourself in by approaching a specific black person in a specific area whereas the simple fact that somebody possesses a weapon makes them automatically more deadly then your average person, whatever their personality or beliefs.

Absolutely. So what is the problem with discriminating against gun owners, in relation to discrimination on genetous factors such as race? Or perhaps I've misinterpreted your argument and you haven't claimed that in the first place?
Ή:ΨΥΧΙΚΗ:ΚΡΙΤΑΡΧΙΑ

Fedel
Minister

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:54 pm

Psukhe wrote:
Fedel wrote:Personally, I'm less interested in the colloquial use of the term or the strict definitive meaning as what the OP intended since otherwise, as you mentioned, it devolves into a debate about semantics.

You'd have to look at the variety of factors surrounding why black people as a population commit violence more regularly on average to assess the general likelihood of danger you're putting yourself in by approaching a specific black person in a specific area whereas the simple fact that somebody possesses a weapon makes them automatically more deadly then your average person, whatever their personality or beliefs.

Absolutely. So what is the problem with discriminating against gun owners, in relation to discrimination on genetous factors such as race? Or perhaps I've misinterpreted your argument and you haven't claimed that in the first place?

I never claimed that in the first place, no. You're fine though.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:54 pm

Fedel wrote:
Psukhe wrote:I did use the word "implying," meaning that that is how I interpret that specific definition, and how I believe many would as well, seeing the clear value in negative discrimination between genetous traits and non-genetous, even inveterate ones. Furthermore, the second definition does not present any clear negative values for divisive perceptions. My interpretation, as such, lies in the practical definition of the term, rather than the general one, as explained further below.

Yet rationality presents us with a clearer picture of the situation, that certain traits are harmless on their own and others aren't; being black does not inherently make you a dangerous person. Wielding a firearm does, by the mere fact that you're holding a tool which enables you to kill far more easily. You could argue that one could use certain statistics to build a picture of how being black makes someone, on average, more dangerous, but that would hardly be rational.

Personally, I'm less interested in the colloquial use of the term or the strict definitive meaning as what the OP intended since otherwise, as you mentioned, it devolves into a debate about semantics.

I mean, I could say the same thing about large muscley people though, or people with tire irons, or tools of most kinds (wrenches, hammers, etc), or even a belt. All of these are tools which enable you to kill more easily.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Fedel
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:56 pm

Galloism wrote:
Fedel wrote:
Personally, I'm less interested in the colloquial use of the term or the strict definitive meaning as what the OP intended since otherwise, as you mentioned, it devolves into a debate about semantics.

I mean, I could say the same thing about large muscley people though, or people with tire irons, or tools of most kinds (wrenches, hammers, etc), or even a belt. All of these are tools which enable you to kill more easily.

Yes, agreed. I'm far more uncomfortable around people with an increased capacity for violence in proportion to myself, personally ( I.E. larger, stronger, generally more physically imposing ).

People carrying tools that are generally used for purposes outside of harming another I'm more ok with though still not entirely relaxed. I'm much more tense around people carrying actual weapons ( tools that are used mostly or solely to cause harm ) for reasons that should be obvious ( I.E. their capacity is increased as with a normal tool, but it also tells me that they're more aware of the potential for violence and prepared to engage in it if necessary ).
Last edited by Fedel on Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:01 pm

Fedel wrote:
Galloism wrote:I mean, I could say the same thing about large muscley people though, or people with tire irons, or tools of most kinds (wrenches, hammers, etc), or even a belt. All of these are tools which enable you to kill more easily.

Yes, agreed. I'm far more uncomfortable around people with an increased capacity for violence in proportion to myself, personally.

People carrying tools that are generally used for other purposes outside of harm I'm more ok with though still not entirely relaxed. I'm much more tense around people carrying actual weapons ( I.E. tools that are used mostly or solely to cause harm ) for obvious reasons.

I mean, maybe it's because I was a police officer at one point, and was surrounded by people carrying weapons regularly, but I'm not really more tense around people carrying weapons than those without.

Also living in the south will do that too you, when you regularly see people armed at McDonalds, it just doesn't even phase you anymore.

Despite that no one has ever been killed by a ski mask (as far as I'm aware), I would view a person wearing a ski mask as far more threatening than a person with a gun.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Fedel
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:03 pm

Galloism wrote:
Fedel wrote:
Yes, agreed. I'm far more uncomfortable around people with an increased capacity for violence in proportion to myself, personally.

People carrying tools that are generally used for other purposes outside of harm I'm more ok with though still not entirely relaxed. I'm much more tense around people carrying actual weapons ( I.E. tools that are used mostly or solely to cause harm ) for obvious reasons.

I mean, maybe it's because I was a police officer at one point, and was surrounded by people carrying weapons regularly, but I'm not really more tense around people carrying weapons than those without.

Also living in the south will do that too you, when you regularly see people armed at McDonalds, it just doesn't even phase you anymore.

Despite that no one has ever been killed by a ski mask (as far as I'm aware), I would view a person wearing a ski mask as far more threatening than a person with a gun.

Understandable. Exposure to something makes you more comfortable with it.

Yes but that's not me fearing an increased capacity for violence, it's me fearing the likely intent of the person wearing the ski mask.
Last edited by Fedel on Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Militarized Algerstonia
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Militarized Algerstonia » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:04 pm

My opinion on this whole thing is that there should not be a right to discriminate. However, I frankly believe that there is no un-radical way to stop discrimination without infringing on our freedoms. The government just isn’t able to stop racial slurs being uttered or hate attacks. It simply does not have the manpower to deal with it- and the country is the fourth-biggest in the world.
NPODELENDAEST’nt

Fedel
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:05 pm

Militarized Algerstonia wrote:My opinion on this whole thing is that there should not be a right to discriminate. However, I frankly believe that there is no un-radical way to stop discrimination without infringing on our freedoms. The government just isn’t able to stop racial slurs being uttered or hate attacks. It simply does not have the manpower to deal with it- and the country is the fourth-biggest in the world.

How exactly do you define discrimination, out of curiosity?

Psukhe
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Psukhe » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:09 pm

Fedel wrote:I never claimed that in the first place, no. You're fine though.

A taste for polemics does put me in that spot sometimes. Oh well.

Anyway, I do believe that there should be a right to discriminate, as I believe in minimal governmental intervention in our lives. It would, however, require a rather intelligent society in which such discrimination would lead to an outcome optimal in my view, whereby the discriminator is discriminated by not, say, being patronised by customers, in case of certain shops and whatnot.
Ή:ΨΥΧΙΚΗ:ΚΡΙΤΑΡΧΙΑ

Militarized Algerstonia
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Militarized Algerstonia » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:09 pm

Fedel wrote:
Militarized Algerstonia wrote:My opinion on this whole thing is that there should not be a right to discriminate. However, I frankly believe that there is no un-radical way to stop discrimination without infringing on our freedoms. The government just isn’t able to stop racial slurs being uttered or hate attacks. It simply does not have the manpower to deal with it- and the country is the fourth-biggest in the world.

My definition of discrimination is any way to separate or insult a minority ethnicity if you think or actually do have some sort of power against them, such as white nationalist directing racial slurs at African- Americans, or the KKK making a demonstration outside an African-American majority community.
NPODELENDAEST’nt

Fedel
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:10 pm

Militarized Algerstonia wrote:
Fedel wrote:

My definition of discrimination is any way to separate or insult a minority ethnicity if you think or actually do have some sort of power against them, such as white nationalist directing racial slurs at African- Americans, or the KKK making a demonstration outside an African-American majority community.

Gotcha.

Psukhe wrote:
Fedel wrote:I never claimed that in the first place, no. You're fine though.

Anyway, I do believe that there should be a right to discriminate, as I believe in minimal governmental intervention in our lives. It would, however, require a rather intelligent society in which such discrimination would lead to an outcome optimal in my view, whereby the discriminator is discriminated by not, say, being patronised by customers, in case of certain shops and whatnot.

Agreed.
Last edited by Fedel on Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:48 pm

Fedel wrote:
Galloism wrote:I mean, maybe it's because I was a police officer at one point, and was surrounded by people carrying weapons regularly, but I'm not really more tense around people carrying weapons than those without.

Yes but that's not me fearing an increased capacity for violence, it's me fearing the likely intent of the person wearing the ski mask.

Well, and intent is really what matters most.

Killing a person really isn't that hard, gun or no gun. So it doesn't seem to really matter all that much on the threat level, unless you live in a place where guns are not commonplace, and so carrying one implies a certain ill intent (much akin to wearing a ski mask in florida).

Fedel
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:24 pm

Galloism wrote:
Fedel wrote:

Well, and intent is really what matters most.

Killing a person really isn't that hard, gun or no gun. So it doesn't seem to really matter all that much on the threat level, unless you live in a place where guns are not commonplace, and so carrying one implies a certain ill intent (much akin to wearing a ski mask in florida).

I think it's less about the ability to kill as opposed to the likelihood that someone will kill. I think that someone with a weapon is generally more likely to kill then one without because the immediate repercussions ( if not the long term ones ) are less obvious. I.E. if you get on top of someone and start choking the life out of someone in a public place, you're likely to be pulled off of that person or be apprehended immediately after by the crowd. The crowd is far less likely to take action against you if you're wielding a knife and even less likely if it's a gun of some sort.

I do live in California so that might be part of it.
Last edited by Fedel on Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:22 pm

Fedel wrote:
Galloism wrote:Well, and intent is really what matters most.

I think it's less about the ability to kill as opposed to the likelihood that someone will kill. I think that someone with a weapon is generally more likely to kill then one without because the immediate repercussions ( if not the long term ones ) are less obvious. I.E. if you get on top of someone and start choking the life out of someone in a public place, you're likely to be pulled off of that person or be apprehended immediately after by the crowd. The crowd is far less likely to take action against you if you're wielding a knife and even less likely if it's a gun of some sort.

It's more a relative comparison I think. How likely a bystander is to intervene depends on how that bystander matches up to the attacker, not about the raw violent potential of the attacker.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:33 pm

Fedel wrote:
Galloism wrote:Well, and intent is really what matters most.

I think it's less about the ability to kill as opposed to the likelihood that someone will kill. I think that someone with a weapon is generally more likely to kill then one without because the immediate repercussions ( if not the long term ones ) are less obvious. I.E. if you get on top of someone and start choking the life out of someone in a public place, you're likely to be pulled off of that person or be apprehended immediately after by the crowd. The crowd is far less likely to take action against you if you're wielding a knife and even less likely if it's a gun of some sort. I do live in California so that might be part of it.

Could be. I lived in Arkansas and Florida, where those carrying firearms tend to be the older more responsible more restrained crowd.

It's sort of like how most exceptionally large men I've met (the 300lb 1% body fat guys) tend to be exceptionally restrained when it comes to violence, knowing their power, I have a similar experience with most armed people. But most armed people here tend to be older, more mature, and more secure in themselves, and less prone to senseless violent acts - reserving it for truly significant situations.

When I dated a judo instructor many years ago, her and her entire class were similar, probably for the same reason.

Fedel
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:37 pm

Telconi wrote:
Fedel wrote:

It's more a relative comparison I think. How likely a bystander is to intervene depends on how that bystander matches up to the attacker, not about the raw violent potential of the attacker.

Yes of course. I just meant on average.

Galloism wrote:
Fedel wrote:
I think it's less about the ability to kill as opposed to the likelihood that someone will kill. I think that someone with a weapon is generally more likely to kill then one without because the immediate repercussions ( if not the long term ones ) are less obvious. I.E. if you get on top of someone and start choking the life out of someone in a public place, you're likely to be pulled off of that person or be apprehended immediately after by the crowd. The crowd is far less likely to take action against you if you're wielding a knife and even less likely if it's a gun of some sort. I do live in California so that might be part of it.

Could be. I lived in Arkansas and Florida, where those carrying firearms tend to be the older more responsible more restrained crowd.

It's sort of like how most exceptionally large men I've met (the 300lb 1% body fat guys) tend to be exceptionally restrained when it comes to violence, knowing their power, I have a similar experience with most armed people. But most armed people here tend to be older, more mature, and more secure in themselves, and less prone to senseless violent acts - reserving it for truly significant situations.

When I dated a judo instructor many years ago, her and her entire class were similar, probably for the same reason.

Makes sense.
Last edited by Fedel on Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elwher
Powerbroker

Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:10 pm

Psukhe wrote:
Elwher wrote:
Does that mean that there are no moral principles, only situational ethics?

Even so, what is wrong with that?

If that is your position on ethics, then so be it. I believe in absolute principles, others do not. While I disagree with you, I respect your right to hold to what you believe.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

San Lumen
Post Kaiser

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby San Lumen » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:29 pm

Elwher wrote:
Psukhe wrote:Even so, what is wrong with that?

If that is your position on ethics, then so be it. I believe in absolute principles, others do not. While I disagree with you, I respect your right to hold to what you believe.

The law is frequently not absolute.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:36 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Elwher wrote:

The law is frequently not absolute.

Shouldn't it be?
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

San Lumen
Post Kaiser

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby San Lumen » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:40 pm

Telconi wrote:
San Lumen wrote:The law is frequently not absolute.

Shouldn't it be?

It depends on what law your talking about.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:59 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Telconi wrote:
Shouldn't it be?

It depends on what law your talking about.

All of them.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:20 pm

Telconi wrote:
San Lumen wrote:It depends on what law your talking about.

All of them.

No. An absolute law is unadaptable.
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Historian, of sorts.

Effortposts can be found here!

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:31 pm

Kowani wrote:
Telconi wrote:
All of them.

No. An absolute law is unadaptable.

A law which isn't absolute is unfair.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Abaja
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Abaja » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:26 am

If people don't want a certain groups of others in their store, don't open it in the first place.
As diverse as the world is becoming, how can you expect only your "desired" group of people to come in?
Stores are supposed to be open to everyone as long as the people are reasonable.
Last edited by Abaja on Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF ABAJA
Population: 89 million | Leader: President Aman Salam-Ross | Capital: Olulawi | Largest City: Kingston | Trigramme: ABJ | Founded: 1665 |
Factbook | Sportswire | H&P Steel | Join TWP!

Co-Host of IBC 23 & IBC 27 | RO16: IBC 20, IBC 21, IBC 27 | Quarterfinals: IBC 22, World Bowl XXX | Semifinals: IBC 23 | Finals: None

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:44 am

Telconi wrote:
Kowani wrote:No. An absolute law is unadaptable.

A law which isn't absolute is unfair.

Other way around, actually.
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Historian, of sorts.

Effortposts can be found here!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General