NATION

PASSWORD

Should There Be A Right To Discriminate?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:57 am

Galloism wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:Hmm, I don’t think Catholicism or Scientology has broken laws, save for scarce individuals. I think it only really applies if they deem a large enough number of them have done them.

I lean towards breaking laws, more so then endangering lives. Endangering lives was moreso to paint a picture of the type of laws I envision being broken that would lead them to being deemed criminal.

Scientology quite literally infiltrated multiple government agencies to engage in theft and sabotage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Snow_White

And catholic confessional seals and come up against mandated reporter requirements in the past, making priests criminals for not obeying it.

https://catholicherald.co.uk/news/2014/ ... onfession/

And of course there's all the payoffs, money laundering, etc, surrounding the Catholic church's paedophile priest problem, which is all well known and documented.

Yeah, I get the point. We really need to find a way to deem some organizations as criminal, because I’m not comfortable with the idea of Al Qaeda being in a protected class.
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

Uelvan
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Uelvan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:57 am

Galloism wrote:
Uelvan wrote:Except I have never advocated excluding established religions. I am in favor of denying privileges to groups who have no business claiming to be a religion as far as US legal protection is concerned. In cases like Scientology, they fought for their rights and won. The KKK has not done that. So your hangup is on a fictional court case in your head that not happened but are so confident that they could win it by writing their defense on a napkin, to quote you.

/shrug

No one's been able to elucidate a single relevant difference between the Church of the National Knights of the Ku Klux Klan and the World order of creativity or whatever. And it's never been ruled against the church of the national knights of the ku klux klan, so it's reasonable that they would get a similar result as the closest organization to them (that I can find).

I'm fairly certain Zoroastrianism would get the same result, even though that's a supposition based on a fictional court case in my head that has not happened but i am confident they could win it by writing their defense on a napkin.

The own case you are citing specifically quoted Slater v King Sooper a to why they would be denied rights, but included reasons as to why the World Church of the Creator is. So despite your best efforts to find a similar organization, even in that case when it was brought up they denied that the KKK could be classified as a religion.

Holy Tedalonia wrote:Yeah, I get the point. We really need to find a way to deem some organizations as criminal, because I’m not comfortable with the idea of Al Qaeda being in a protected class.

You're in luck because you don't have to. They are a political and terrorist organization which does not receive personhood rights under the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
Last edited by Uelvan on Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:57 am

I don't think the government, public utilities, and systemically important financial institutions should be allowed to discriminate given how much of the public interest they envelop.

Other businesses, however, should have the right to discriminate. And this goes without saying for individual people.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:57 am

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Galloism wrote:Scientology quite literally infiltrated multiple government agencies to engage in theft and sabotage.

And catholic confessional seals and come up against mandated reporter requirements in the past, making priests criminals for not obeying it.

And of course there's all the payoffs, money laundering, etc, surrounding the Catholic church's paedophile priest problem, which is all well known and documented.

Yeah, I get the point. We really need to find a way to deem some organizations as criminal, because I’m not comfortable with the idea of Al Qaeda being in a protected class.

Having the courage of your convictions is a really hard path.

If they are a religion, it should be illegal to discriminate against them under The Civil Rights Act.
Last edited by Galloism on Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:58 am

Uelvan wrote:
Galloism wrote:/shrug

No one's been able to elucidate a single relevant difference between the Church of the National Knights of the Ku Klux Klan and the World order of creativity or whatever. And it's never been ruled against the church of the national knights of the ku klux klan, so it's reasonable that they would get a similar result as the closest organization to them (that I can find).

I'm fairly certain Zoroastrianism would get the same result, even though that's a supposition based on a fictional court case in my head that has not happened but i am confident they could win it by writing their defense on a napkin.

The own case you are citing specifically quoted Slater v King Sooper a to why they would be denied rights, but included reasons as to why the World Church of the Creator is. So despite your best efforts to find a similar organization, even in that case when it was brought up they denied that the KKK could be classified as a religion.

They did not address at all the Church of the National Knights of the Ku Klux Klan. Did you read the case carefully?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:00 pm

Galloism wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:Hmm, I don’t think Catholicism or Scientology has broken laws, save for scarce individuals. I think it only really applies if they deem a large enough number of them have done them.

I lean towards breaking laws, more so then endangering lives. Endangering lives was moreso to paint a picture of the type of laws I envision being broken that would lead them to being deemed criminal.

Scientology quite literally infiltrated multiple government agencies to engage in theft and sabotage.

The Catholic Church is a criminal enterprise and should get an indictment under the RICO Act so that way all bishops and archbishops can start being jailed.

You can honestly make the case that all Catholic clergy are foreign agents (of the Holy See) and make them register as such.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Uelvan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Uelvan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:00 pm

Galloism wrote:
Uelvan wrote:

They did not address at all the Church of the National Knights of the Ku Klux Klan. Did you read the case carefully?

Irrelevant, I'm afraid. The broad terminology was used to deny the KKK rights as a religion. What part of, "Based on the reasoning of that decision and Bellamy, I conclude that the KKK is not a religion for purposes of Title VII. Rather the KKK is political and social in nature" do you not comprehend?

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:01 pm

Uelvan wrote:
Galloism wrote:They did not address at all the Church of the National Knights of the Ku Klux Klan. Did you read the case carefully?

Irrelevant, I'm afraid. The broad terminology was used to deny the KKK rights as a religion. What part of, "Based on the reasoning of that decision and Bellamy, I conclude that the KKK is not a religion for purposes of Title VII. Rather the KKK is political and social in nature" do you not comprehend?

The part that addressed the church. I just can't seem to find it.

Uelvan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Uelvan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:02 pm

Galloism wrote:
Uelvan wrote:

The part that addressed the church. I just can't seem to find it.

Is the Church not apart of the KKK?

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:02 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Galloism wrote:Scientology quite literally infiltrated multiple government agencies to engage in theft and sabotage.

The Catholic Church is a criminal enterprise and should get an indictment under the RICO Act so that way all bishops and archbishops can start being jailed.

You can honestly make the case that all Catholic clergy are foreign agents (of the Holy See) and make them register as such.

Incidentally, this type of stuff is what makes this hard.

Because there are plenty of people who unironically would use these lines to classify catholicism as not a religion, and therefore allowable to discriminate against. And without strong principles surrounding recognition of religion, we can make that happen.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:07 pm

Uelvan wrote:
Galloism wrote:The part that addressed the church. I just can't seem to find it.

If I don't respect the catholic church, subscribe to its authority, or otherwise assent to being part of another organization, naming my church "Gallo's Catholic Awesomeness Church" doesn't mean much as to whether or not it's "catholic" in the sense of being part of the catholic church.

I mean, some guy said:

Uelvan wrote:Adding church to your organization's name does not automatically grant you equal protection under US law.

It's also true that adding "Catholic" to your name doesn't make you Catholic. Simply adding KKK to your name doesn't make you part of the greater political sphere of the KKK.
Last edited by Galloism on Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:10 pm

Galloism wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

Incidentally, this type of stuff is what makes this hard.

Because there are plenty of people who unironically would use these lines to classify catholicism as not a religion, and therefore allowable to discriminate against. And without strong principles surrounding recognition of religion, we can make that happen.

And we can and should!
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Uelvan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Uelvan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:11 pm

Galloism wrote:
Uelvan wrote:

If I don't respect the catholic church, subscribe to its authority, or otherwise assent to being part of another organization, naming my church "Gallo's Catholic Awesomeness Church" doesn't mean much as to whether or not it's "catholic" in the sense of being part of the catholic church.

I mean, some guy said:

Uelvan wrote:Adding church to your organization's name does not automatically grant you equal protection under US law.

It's also true that adding "Catholic" to your name doesn't make you Catholic. Simply adding KKK to your name doesn't make you part of the greater political sphere of the KKK.

While I agree with that simply calling yourself a Catholic does not automatically make you a Catholic, if someone was discriminated against for being a Catholic and they never deny that they are in the court of law, then legally we could consider that individual a Catholic. So this is an instance where my opinion and your opinion are irrelevant.

Then why did they classify the organization as the KKK in United States v. Charles Barefoot, Jr., 13-4108 (4th Cir. 2014)?

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:18 pm

Uelvan wrote:
Galloism wrote:If I don't respect the catholic church, subscribe to its authority, or otherwise assent to being part of another organization, naming my church "Gallo's Catholic Awesomeness Church" doesn't mean much as to whether or not it's "catholic" in the sense of being part of the catholic church.

I mean, some guy said:

While I agree with that simply calling yourself a Catholic does not automatically make you a Catholic, if someone was discriminated against for being a Catholic and they never deny that they are in the court of law, then legally we could consider that individual a Catholic. So this is an instance where my opinion and your opinion are irrelevant.

Then why did they classify the organization as the KKK in United States v. Charles Barefoot, Jr., 13-4108 (4th Cir. 2014)?

They did? Where?

The word "church" doesn't even appear in page. Nor does "KKK". Ku Klux Klan appears exactly once, here:

Not quite two hours later, the ATF executed a search warrant at Barefoot's residence, where they discovered component materials for explosives, Ku Klux Klan clothing and propaganda, and twenty-five firearms (predominantly shotguns and rifles) in proximity to more than four thousand rounds of ammunition. A concurrent search of the house where Barefoot's son, Daniel, lived with several others, turned up two Kinestik binary explosive cartridges wrapped in newspaper and stored in a freezer. Daniel, eighteen years old and a Klansman in his father's group, told federal agents that Barefoot had given him the explosives, which other residents referred to as “liquid dynamite.”

Which is just the facts of what happened - no classification made.

Klan appears a few more times:

The men had convened at Barefoot's home one evening during the late summer of 2001 to discuss a “problem” with Lawrence Petit, a fellow Klansman in coastal Carteret County, North Carolina, whom Brewer had branded an informant. J.A. 70.

Barefoot unequivocally denied having made any bombs, and he omitted all mention of a series of incidents in October 2001, which began when Daniel and two Klan associates—Jonathan Avery and Jonathan Maynard—stole more than thirty firearms from an outbuilding.

he government had previously given notice, pursuant to Federal Rule of Evidence 404(b), of its intent to introduce the Petit evidence, as well as evidence of Barefoot's bomb-making, of his threats against the Johnston County Sheriff and others, and of his Klan activities. Trial commenced on September 24, 2012, with the jury being empaneled and then excused. The parties remained in the courtroom for a hearing on the motion in limine, which the court denied. The trial resumed and concluded the following day, with the jury finding Barefoot guilty of all six counts.

Then when he did get ․ his license, Bizzell raided the place and pretty much put a damper on all of it.” Id. at 600. Subsequently, Bizzell denied Barefoot's Klan group a permit to march in a local parade, which served to fuel Barefoot's hatred. See id. at 661.

The discussion among Barefoot, Gautier, and the other Klansmen that directly led to Petit's murder demonstrated to the jury that these were not merely men who talk, but men who act—however despicable those acts may be.

At a more general (but yet relevant) level, Barefoot's illegal possession of firearms and explosives can together be seen as facilitating his Klan activities.

So where did the court say this group of the Klan was a political group or part of the "larger" kkk? It doesn't appear to address the group at all. It's about someone (an individual) getting justly prosecuted.

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-4th-circuit/1669203.html

Incidentally, this is abjectly silly:

If someone discriminates against me because they thought I was the president, I was wearing a lapel pin that said "Prez", and I never denied it in a court of law, that doesn't legally make me the president.
Last edited by Galloism on Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:22 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Galloism wrote:Incidentally, this type of stuff is what makes this hard.

And we can and should!

I hope everyone can see my concern.

San Lumen
Post Kaiser

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby San Lumen » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:24 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:I don't think the government, public utilities, and systemically important financial institutions should be allowed to discriminate given how much of the public interest they envelop.

Other businesses, however, should have the right to discriminate. And this goes without saying for individual people.

Why should business other than those you mentioned be allowed to discriminate?

Uelvan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Uelvan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:27 pm

Galloism wrote:
Uelvan wrote:

They did? Where?

The word "church" doesn't even appear in page. Nor does "KKK". Ku Klux Klan appears exactly once, here:

Not quite two hours later, the ATF executed a search warrant at Barefoot's residence, where they discovered component materials for explosives, Ku Klux Klan clothing and propaganda, and twenty-five firearms (predominantly shotguns and rifles) in proximity to more than four thousand rounds of ammunition. A concurrent search of the house where Barefoot's son, Daniel, lived with several others, turned up two Kinestik binary explosive cartridges wrapped in newspaper and stored in a freezer. Daniel, eighteen years old and a Klansman in his father's group, told federal agents that Barefoot had given him the explosives, which other residents referred to as “liquid dynamite.”

The men had convened at Barefoot's home one evening during the late summer of 2001 to discuss a “problem” with Lawrence Petit, a fellow Klansman in coastal Carteret County, North Carolina, whom Brewer had branded an informant. J.A. 70.

Barefoot unequivocally denied having made any bombs, and he omitted all mention of a series of incidents in October 2001, which began when Daniel and two Klan associates—Jonathan Avery and Jonathan Maynard—stole more than thirty firearms from an outbuilding.

he government had previously given notice, pursuant to Federal Rule of Evidence 404(b), of its intent to introduce the Petit evidence, as well as evidence of Barefoot's bomb-making, of his threats against the Johnston County Sheriff and others, and of his Klan activities. Trial commenced on September 24, 2012, with the jury being empaneled and then excused. The parties remained in the courtroom for a hearing on the motion in limine, which the court denied. The trial resumed and concluded the following day, with the jury finding Barefoot guilty of all six counts.

Then when he did get ․ his license, Bizzell raided the place and pretty much put a damper on all of it.” Id. at 600. Subsequently, Bizzell denied Barefoot's Klan group a permit to march in a local parade, which served to fuel Barefoot's hatred. See id. at 661.

The discussion among Barefoot, Gautier, and the other Klansmen that directly led to Petit's murder demonstrated to the jury that these were not merely men who talk, but men who act—however despicable those acts may be.

At a more general (but yet relevant) level, Barefoot's illegal possession of firearms and explosives can together be seen as facilitating his Klan activities.

So where did the court say this group of the Klan was a political group or part of the "larger" kkk? It doesn't appear to address the group at all. It's about someone (an individual) getting justly prosecuted.

"These "conduct statements" include, among others, her statements to police that she witnessed Barefoot constructing pipe bombs, that she had seen him keep guns in his home, that he was affiliated with the Ku Klux Klan, and that he used a particular screen name and email address. DE # 49-2."

"Sharon Renee Barefoot, that described Barefoot's purchase of materials and construction of pipe bombs, his affiliation with the Ku Klux Klan, his threats to her and her child, and his discussions with others about "blow[ing] up" the Johnston County Courthouse. DE # 49-2 at 4."

"Daniel, eighteen years old and a Klansman in his father’s group, told federal agents that Barefoot had given him the explosives, which other residents referred to as 'liquid dynamite'"

" The district court accepted Barefoot’s guilty plea at a hearing on January 21, 2003, after which the debriefing mandated by the Plea Agreement took place. There, Barefoot admitted having obtained the Kinestik cartridges in exchange for a hunting dog. Barefoot also recounted a meeting with Glen Gautier, Michael Brewer, and Mark Denning. The men had convened at Barefoot’s home one evening during the late summer of 2001 to discuss a “problem” with Lawrence Petit, a fellow Klansman in coastal Carteret County, North Carolina, whom Brewer had brandedan informant. "

"Barefoot unequivocally denied having made any bombs, and he omitted all mention of a series of incidents in October 2001, which began when Daniel and two Klan associates — Jonathan Avery and Jonathan Maynard — stole more than thirty firearms from an outbuilding."

"The Faretta Order is found at J.A. 468-72.9 pursuant to Federal Rule of Evidence 404(b), of its intent to introduce the Petit evidence, as well as evidence of Barefoot’s bomb-making, of his threats against the Johnston County Sheriff and others, and of his Klan activities."

"Subsequently, Bizzell denied Barefoot’s Klan group a permit to march in a local parade, which served to fuel Barefoot’s hatred. See id. at 661. According to Gautier, Barefoot spoke “several times” of “getting back” at Sheriff Bizzell by 'blowing the courthouse up.'"

"The discussion among Barefoot, Gautier, and the other Klansmen that directly led to Petit’s murder demonstrated to the jury that these were not merely men who talk, but men who act — however despicable those acts may be."

"At a more general (but yet relevant) level, Barefoot’s illegal possession of firearms and explosives can together be seen as facilitating his Klan activities."
Last edited by Uelvan on Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:31 pm

Uelvan wrote:
Galloism wrote:They did? Where?

"These "conduct statements" include, among others, her statements to police that she witnessed Barefoot constructing pipe bombs, that she had seen him keep guns in his home, that he was affiliated with the Ku Klux Klan, and that he used a particular screen name and email address. DE # 49-2."

"Sharon Renee Barefoot, that described Barefoot's purchase of materials and construction of pipe bombs, his affiliation with the Ku Klux Klan, his threats to her and her child, and his discussions with others about "blow[ing] up" the Johnston County Courthouse. DE # 49-2 at 4."

"Daniel, eighteen years old and a Klansman in his father’s group, told federal agents that Barefoot had given him the explosives, which other residents referred to as 'liquid dynamite'"

" The district court accepted Barefoot’s guilty plea at a hearing on January 21, 2003, after which the debriefing mandated by the Plea Agreement took place. There, Barefoot admitted having obtained the Kinestik cartridges in exchange for a hunting dog. Barefoot also recounted a meeting with Glen Gautier, Michael Brewer, and Mark Denning. The men had convened at Barefoot’s home one evening during the late summer of 2001 to discuss a “problem” with Lawrence Petit, a fellow Klansman in coastal Carteret County, North Carolina, whom Brewer had brandedan informant. "

"Barefoot unequivocally denied having made any bombs, and he omitted all mention of a series of incidents in October 2001, which began when Daniel and two Klan associates — Jonathan Avery and Jonathan Maynard — stole more than thirty firearms from an outbuilding."

"The Faretta Order is found at J.A. 468-72.9 pursuant to Federal Rule of Evidence 404(b), of its intent to introduce the Petit evidence, as well as evidence of Barefoot’s bomb-making, of his threats against the Johnston County Sheriff and others, and of his Klan activities."

"Subsequently, Bizzell denied Barefoot’s Klan group a permit to march in a local parade, which served to fuel Barefoot’s hatred. See id. at 661. According to Gautier, Barefoot spoke “several times” of “getting back” at Sheriff Bizzell by 'blowing the courthouse up.'"

"The discussion among Barefoot, Gautier, and the other Klansmen that directly led to Petit’s murder demonstrated to the jury that these were not merely men who talk, but men who act — however despicable those acts may be."

"At a more general (but yet relevant) level, Barefoot’s illegal possession of firearms and explosives can together be seen as facilitating his Klan activities."

None of that seems to say "The Church of the National Knights of the Ku Klux Klan is part of the greater political group of the Ku Klux Klan", or anything of that sort. They don't seem to address the issue of the affiliation of the two groups at all, nor designate one as part of the other - only talking about this person's affiliation.

Nor do we know that Klansman is an unambiguous term that can't refer to multiple disconnected groups (IE, like the word Christian).

Did you quote the wrong part?
Last edited by Galloism on Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uelvan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Uelvan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:32 pm

Galloism wrote:
Uelvan wrote:

None of that seems to say "The Church of the National Knights of the Ku Klux Klan is part of the greater political group of the Ku Klux Klan", or anything of that sort. They don't seem to address the issue of the affiliation of the two groups at all - only talking about this person's affiliation.

Nor do we know that Klansman is an unambiguous term that can't refer to multiple disconnected groups (IE, like the word Christian).

He was the Imperial wizard of Church of the National Knights the KKK. When it specifically mentions his group what do you think they're talking about?
Last edited by Uelvan on Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:33 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:I don't think the government, public utilities, and systemically important financial institutions should be allowed to discriminate given how much of the public interest they envelop.

Why should business other than those you mentioned be allowed to discriminate?

Because they aren't as tied up in the public interest or intertwined with government.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:36 pm

Uelvan wrote:
Galloism wrote:None of that seems to say "The Church of the National Knights of the Ku Klux Klan is part of the greater political group of the Ku Klux Klan", or anything of that sort. They don't seem to address the issue of the affiliation of the two groups at all - only talking about this person's affiliation.

He was the Imperial wizard of National Church the KKK. When it specifically mentions his group what do you think they're talking about?

Imperial Wizard is a boss title, incidentally - too bad the Klan fucking ruined it.

Does it say "his group was part of the greater political movement of the KKK" or words to that effect (using "his group" as a standin for their organization name)? I didn't see that either.

San Lumen
Post Kaiser

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby San Lumen » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:38 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
San Lumen wrote:Why should business other than those you mentioned be allowed to discriminate?

Because they aren't as tied up in the public interest or intertwined with government.

You have no issue with the conduct in this hypothetical??

A gay couple is attending a wedding in a small town on the sea at Oceanview Hotel and they live far away in a big city. The bride and groom pre book a bunch of rooms for those attending. Our gay couple shows up with their luggage and says they are here for the wedding of John and Sarah. They never thought to ask for cot as the room was pre booked and paid for them.

The clerk says "sorry but we don't serve gay couples here and I will not check you in. You'll have to find another place to stay" or however they phase it. Why should their experience of the wedding be ruined and perhaps that of the bride and groom be ruined too?

The hotel has the right to treat them that way?

Uelvan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Uelvan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:40 pm

Galloism wrote:
Uelvan wrote:
He was the Imperial wizard of National Church the KKK. When it specifically mentions his group what do you think they're talking about?

Imperial Wizard is a boss title, incidentally - too bad the Klan fucking ruined it.

Does it say "his group was part of the greater political movement of the KKK" or words to that effect (using "his group" as a standin for their organization name)? I didn't see that either.

Does it need to be extra specific? It refers to his group as the KKK numerous times by name. When the Church of the National Knights of the KKK is hence forth considered apart of the KKK then it is submitting itself as apart of the greater fraternal socio-polticial organization. They did not find them as their own separate movement different from the Klan. This would be like saying that if a local Target denied black people rights to shop, then Target would not be at fault because it was only a local target and that Target isn't even a real Target anyways.

The Feylands
Envoy

Founded: Jul 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Feylands » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:40 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:The Catholic Church is a criminal enterprise and should get an indictment under the RICO Act so that way all bishops and archbishops can start being jailed.

I'm an apostate myself from the RCC and my feelings for it isn't exactly warm. In general I pity all the x-tians suffering on so many levels because of nonsense reasons. :?

...but direct punitive actions has never worked as a solution. People have a need of spirituality and religion serves a fundamental ethnic purpose for many nationalities. We "pagans" need to get into spread the message of Dharma for real. Not because it's an Exact Truth™ that you'll go to "hell" without but to liberate people's spirituality from the clutches of the demon YHWH. :(

Recognizing that different peoples can have their own gods and spiritual traditions are different is probably the only way we'd ever tackle subversive religious activities..

...which leads me back to the topic... No one has any universal "right" to do anything. Gotta solve that on a case-by-case basis. But "discriminating" against someone on relevantgrounds are probably okay in my book. :) A follower of the cult of Scientology can probably be an okay construction worker. But as a head of a drug rehabilitation centre? Well... likely not, considering she's likely obliged to spread "LRH tech" by her religion under such circumstances. :?

Hey there u! I'm Fey - the Celestial Fairy Princess! "Mᴀᴋɪɴɢ NS ᴄᴏsɪᴇʀ sɪɴᴄᴇ 2017!"® (◕‿◕)
, Vegetarian, Crazy Cat Lady, Dharmic Pagan, Metal, Fantasy, Elf/Fairy, Chinaboo, Yogi etc.
How can I be so cuddly and huggable? ♥♥♥ Because I exist to ease the suffering of this world! (⌒▽⌒) #TheBuddhaRocks
Little secret: I have a superpower called "ADHD". (^̮^)
♥Her Radiance's Celestial Thought♥
Neat: Essentialism, Monarchy, Difference Feminism, Animal rights, Green Conservatism, 中国, Beauty, Dignity of all life
ಠ~ಠ: Passive aggressive dorks, Abrahamic/Antropocentric world-view(s), the EU, celebrating ugliness..
I support Israel and everyone who suffer needlessly because of their own compassion.♥ (ಥ﹏ಥ)

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:44 pm

Galloism wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:Yeah, I get the point. We really need to find a way to deem some organizations as criminal, because I’m not comfortable with the idea of Al Qaeda being in a protected class.

Having the courage of your convictions is a really hard path.

If they are a religion, it should be illegal to discriminate against them under The Civil Rights Act.

If it were up to me, I’d just get rid of the protected class concept as a whole. As far as I’m concerned a person should stand up for themselves, not let others do it for them. I still get the purpose of the protected class, and the neccessity of it, but I would love for it to grow smaller as the years go by, as america loses its need for them.
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General