NATION

PASSWORD

Good Idea, Bad Idea

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Re: Good Idea, Bad Idea

Postby United Dependencies » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:41 pm

Wilgrove wrote:
Der Teutoniker wrote:
Wilgrove wrote:Good Idea: Having a Cruise with a Pirate Theme.

Bad Idea: Having a Pirate Cruise.

I don't think anyone I know ever remember "Good Idea, Bad Idea", that was one of my favorite shorts from Animaniacs.

Finally someone gets it. You get a slice of cheesecake!

I wanted to post a video but I didn't think it would be appropriate.

now it seems appropriate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8PhzrmB ... r_embedded
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:52 pm

greed and death wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
greed and death wrote:Morally no.

And, more importantly, legally, no.

I hold morality to a higher realm then legality.

But morality is arguably subjective. Legal is legal.
I identify as
a problem

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:58 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
And, more importantly, legally, no.

I hold morality to a higher realm then legality.

But morality is arguably subjective. Legal is legal.

Legality is only what can be enforced. In this scenario it can not be enforced.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Hamilay
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Hamilay » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:03 pm

Parthenon wrote:I'll blow a hole in your face then go inside and sleep like a baby. -Walt Kowalski

That pretty much describes my take on this situation. Nothing wrong with putting a few shells in those that want to exploit you for monetary gain.

Did you even watch the movie?

Frankly this story made me lol though. It's just such a ridiculously absurd idea.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:40 am

And when they run out of pirates to kill, how long before they decide to get their jollies by turning pirate themselves? :(
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Eofaerwic
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Eofaerwic » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:39 am

Galloism wrote:Thought experiment -

If the US Navy, in an effort to curb piracy, were to buy a civilian ship, staff it with marines, then patrol in order to lure pirates into the attack - whereupon a lurking submarine would attack them, would you be as outraged?

It would be different - because the US Navy, like all armed forces, are trained to operate under strict rules of engagement and are governed by appropriate international and national laws.
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.38
Grave_n_idle: That's much better, that's not creepy at all. Nothing creepy about dropping a hook in someone's brain soup.
Mad hatters in jeans:Why is there a whirlpool inside your head?

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:37 am

Eofaerwic wrote:
Galloism wrote:Thought experiment -

If the US Navy, in an effort to curb piracy, were to buy a civilian ship, staff it with marines, then patrol in order to lure pirates into the attack - whereupon a lurking submarine would attack them, would you be as outraged?

It would be different - because the US Navy, like all armed forces, are trained to operate under strict rules of engagement and are governed by appropriate international and national laws.

All I'm seeing, still, is a level of training difference. It is nothing that can't be rectified by a few days training and education as to what is and isn't acceptable.

Like I said before, if they're doing execution-style killings, that's a horse of a different color. However, if they're just sailing up and down the coast waiting to get attacked, that's no different than a well-armed black man walking through a prejudiced white neighborhood, or vice versa. It still leaves it up to the pirates to initiate conflict.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Atreath
Attaché

Founded: Jul 12, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Atreath » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:38 am

OOH! Sounds like fun. Where can I sign up?

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General