NATION

PASSWORD

Jussie Smollet: or, How Narratives Unravel

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:23 pm

Bezkoshtovnya wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Given the recent revelations regarding collusion between police forces and the far-right, it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

If I remember right that was one incident involving a single high ranking officer in the Portland area. This does not now translate to every police precinct being in league with their local Klan or somehow make that a very likely scenario across the country.

Law enforcement has, historically, never been kind to Civil Rights protestors or the Left Wing in general.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:24 pm

Bezkoshtovnya wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Given the recent revelations regarding collusion between police forces and the far-right, it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

If I remember right that was one incident involving a single high ranking officer in the Portland area. This does not now translate to every police precinct being in league with their local Klan or somehow make that a very likely scenario across the country.

I didn't say anything about possibility. Just that it wouldn't surprise me if that were the case.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:27 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Bezkoshtovnya wrote:If I remember right that was one incident involving a single high ranking officer in the Portland area. This does not now translate to every police precinct being in league with their local Klan or somehow make that a very likely scenario across the country.

Law enforcement has, historically, never been kind to Civil Rights protestors or the Left Wing in general.

That however still does not make me think that a likely scenario is some sort of right wing coverup rather than the idea that Smollet is fabricating things when looking at the evidence to this particular incident.
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:44 pm

Bezkoshtovnya wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

That however still does not make me think that a likely scenario is some sort of right wing coverup rather than the idea that Smollet is fabricating things when looking at the evidence to this particular incident.

Agreed I am not seeing any real evidence to back up Smollet here.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:47 pm

Andsed wrote:
Bezkoshtovnya wrote:That however still does not make me think that a likely scenario is some sort of right wing coverup rather than the idea that Smollet is fabricating things when looking at the evidence to this particular incident.

Agreed I am not seeing any real evidence to back up Smollet here.

We'll see where this fun rabbit hole leads.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:51 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Andsed wrote:Agreed I am not seeing any real evidence to back up Smollet here.

Honestly unless Smollet provides new evidence I honestly see this leading to this whole thing being declared as fake which will sadly hurt real victims coming forward.
Last edited by Andsed on Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:00 pm

Andsed wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Honestly unless Smollet provides new evidence I honestly see this leading to this whole thing being declared as fake which will sadly hurt real victims coming forward.

That is also my fear.

ShakaZuli
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby ShakaZuli » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:18 pm

Another hoax hate crime, with the purpose to smear and demonise white people. I would not be suprised if most of so called hate crimes are hoax. Some minorities they could score victim points by making up hate crimes.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:24 pm

ShakaZuli wrote:Another hoax hate crime, with the purpose to smear and demonise white people. I would not be suprised if most of so called hate crimes are hoax. Some minorities they could score victim points by making up hate crimes.

See, this kind of reaction is the thing I dread.

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:30 pm

ShakaZuli wrote:Another hoax hate crime, with the purpose to smear and demonise white people. I would not be suprised if most of so called hate crimes are hoax. Some minorities they could score victim points by making up hate crimes.

Just because this incident may turn out to be fabricated does not somehow mean people are making up hate crimes and they do not occur. This is precisely the type of reactions I was worried this would create.
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:36 pm

Seems some unnamed sources are being taken more seriously than the Chicago police spokesperson who noted..

Media reports about the Empire incident being a hoax are unconfirmed by case detectives. Supt Eddie Johnson has contacted @ABC7Chicago to state on the record that we have no evidence to support their reporting and their supposed CPD sources are uninformed and inaccurate.

..I'm beginning to agree with various people that social media is a cancer on society.

Facebook deliberately broke privacy and competition law and should urgently be subject to statutory regulation, according to a devastating parliamentary report denouncing the company and its executives as “digital gangsters”.

The final report of the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee’s 18-month investigation into disinformation and fake news accused Facebook of purposefully obstructing its inquiry and failing to tackle attempts by Russia to manipulate elections.

“Democracy is at risk from the malicious and relentless targeting of citizens with disinformation and personalised ‘dark adverts’ from unidentifiable sources, delivered through the major social media platforms we use every day,” warned the committee’s chairman, Damian Collins.
Last edited by Bombadil on Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

ShakaZuli
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby ShakaZuli » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:42 pm

Bezkoshtovnya wrote:

Just because this incident may turn out to be fabricated does not somehow mean people are making up hate crimes and they do not occur. This is precisely the type of reactions I was worried this would create.

Hate crimes indeed occur but against white people. Like a year ago when a bunch of black teenager molested a white person and broadcasted it on facebook. They were not accused of hate crime although they were filmed saying anti-white stuff.

On other hand there are dozen of example where minorities fake hate crimes.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/jewish-su ... ynagogues/ A jew sprayed swastikas on synagogue

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:56 pm

ShakaZuli wrote:
Bezkoshtovnya wrote:Just because this incident may turn out to be fabricated does not somehow mean people are making up hate crimes and they do not occur. This is precisely the type of reactions I was worried this would create.

Hate crimes indeed occur but against white people. Like a year ago when a bunch of black teenager molested a white person and broadcasted it on facebook. They were not accused of hate crime although they were filmed saying anti-white stuff.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/jewish-su ... ynagogues/ A jew sprayed swastikas on synagogue

Okay? Yeah some minorities fake hate crimes and hate crimes are committed against whites. So what? This proves nothing. Hate crimes are still an issue and this kind of reaction is a reason people are to scared to come forward
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:57 pm

ShakaZuli wrote:
Bezkoshtovnya wrote:Just because this incident may turn out to be fabricated does not somehow mean people are making up hate crimes and they do not occur. This is precisely the type of reactions I was worried this would create.

So basically what I am hearing is that by your logic, hate crimes against minorities dont exist whatsoever because some reported ones end up being hoaxes, but there is a pandemic of white hate crime going on because of one high profile incident? I guess the overwhelming amount of incidents like the Pittsburgh Synagogue shooting, Wisconsin Sikh temple shooting, Charleston Church shooting, the Blaze Bernstein murder, and Olathe Kansas shooting in 2017 are, what, part of a conspiracy or something? There are indeed some incidents of white hate crime. How does this somehow translate into there being no other hate crimes?
Last edited by Bezkoshtovnya on Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ΦΣK
------------------

ShakaZuli
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby ShakaZuli » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:58 pm

Andsed wrote:
ShakaZuli wrote:Hate crimes indeed occur but against white people. Like a year ago when a bunch of black teenager molested a white person and broadcasted it on facebook. They were not accused of hate crime although they were filmed saying anti-white stuff.

Okay? Yeah some minorities fake hate crimes and hate crimes are committed against whites. So what? This proves nothing. Hate crimes are still an issue and this kind of reaction is a reason people are to scared to come forward

Whites are underrepresented in hate crime stats, and something needs to be done. Minorities should be charged more with hate crimes.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:58 pm

Bombadil wrote:Seems some unnamed sources are being taken more seriously than the Chicago police spokesperson who noted..

Media reports about the Empire incident being a hoax are unconfirmed by case detectives. Supt Eddie Johnson has contacted @ABC7Chicago to state on the record that we have no evidence to support their reporting and their supposed CPD sources are uninformed and inaccurate.

..I'm beginning to agree with various people that social media is a cancer on society.

Facebook deliberately broke privacy and competition law and should urgently be subject to statutory regulation, according to a devastating parliamentary report denouncing the company and its executives as “digital gangsters”.

The final report of the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee’s 18-month investigation into disinformation and fake news accused Facebook of purposefully obstructing its inquiry and failing to tackle attempts by Russia to manipulate elections.

“Democracy is at risk from the malicious and relentless targeting of citizens with disinformation and personalised ‘dark adverts’ from unidentifiable sources, delivered through the major social media platforms we use every day,” warned the committee’s chairman, Damian Collins.

Wait what? I am honestly confused here.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

ShakaZuli
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby ShakaZuli » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:01 pm

Bezkoshtovnya wrote:So basically what I am hearing is that by your logic, hate crimes against minorities dont exist whatsoever because some reported ones end up being hoaxes, but there is a pandemic of white hate crime going on because of one high profile incident? I guess the overwhelming amount of incidents like the Pittsburgh Synagogue shooting, Wisconsin Sikh temple shooting, Charleston Church shooting, the Blaze Bernstein murder, and Olathe Kansas shooting in 2017 are, what, part of a conspiracy or something?

Hate crimes against minorities are overblown as the case of Jussie Smollet shows, whereas the system usually dont chatge with hate crimes when the victims are whites. There is nothing conspiratoral here. Given that the Liberals hate white people, it is indeed likely to happen.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:02 pm

ShakaZuli wrote:
Andsed wrote:Okay? Yeah some minorities fake hate crimes and hate crimes are committed against whites. So what? This proves nothing. Hate crimes are still an issue and this kind of reaction is a reason people are to scared to come forward

Whites are underrepresented in hate crime stats, and something needs to be done. Minorities should be charged more with hate crimes.

Do you have any evidence to back up your claims here?
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

ShakaZuli
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby ShakaZuli » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:04 pm

Andsed wrote:
ShakaZuli wrote:Whites are underrepresented in hate crime stats, and something needs to be done. Minorities should be charged more with hate crimes.

Do you have any evidence to back up your claims here?

I could back it up. But do you have evidence that homophobia for example exist?

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:05 pm

ShakaZuli wrote:
Andsed wrote:Do you have any evidence to back up your claims here?

I could back it up. But do you have evidence that homophobia for example exist?

.....Your not serious right? Are you trying to imply that homophobia does not exist? Because I can prove that assertion wrong with a simple google search.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:06 pm

Andsed wrote:
Bombadil wrote:Seems some unnamed sources are being taken more seriously than the Chicago police spokesperson who noted..

Wait what? I am honestly confused here.

The spokesperson for Chicago police said that reports this is a hoax are 'uninformed and inaccurate.' Shouldn't be anything confusing about that.

The real driver in all this is people sharing links that agree with their view of the world around like minded people, and even vested interests applying advertising to spread false and malicious information. One reason I prefer forums such as this over social media is that you naturally get to view different opinions whereas on social media it seems you really don't.

There is little check on social media, you can actually target people on whether they are receptive to bullshit on alternative medicine and so amplify and concentrate that bullshit to an audience. Even if everyone read major news outlets, which they don't, there's different narratives. At least major news outlets have some accountability, if not a lot, but there are plenty other websites and 'news' channels that have no restraint.

So even though the police denied that they thought it a hoax some people will believe it is and and some won't and god knows all manner of bullshit links and reports are flying around social cocoons as we speak.

Social media needs some serious regulation.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:08 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Andsed wrote:Wait what? I am honestly confused here.

The spokesperson for Chicago police said that reports this is a hoax are 'uninformed and inaccurate.' Shouldn't be anything confusing about that.

The real driver in all this is people sharing links that agree with their view of the world around like minded people, and even vested interests applying advertising to spread false and malicious information. One reason I prefer forums such as this over social media is that you naturally get to view different opinions whereas on social media it seems you really don't.

There is little check on social media, you can actually target people on whether they are receptive to bullshit on alternative medicine and so amplify and concentrate that bullshit to an audience. Even if everyone read major news outlets, which they don't, there's different narratives. At least major news outlets have some accountability, if not a lot, but there are plenty other websites and 'news' channels that have no restraint.

So even though the police denied that they thought it a hoax some people will believe it is and and some won't and god knows all manner of bullshit links and reports are flying around social cocoons as we speak.

Ah. God why do these cases need to be so fucking convoluted? I mean how hard is it to provide proof and conduct a proper investigation? I blame politics as well as social media
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:10 pm

ShakaZuli wrote:
Bezkoshtovnya wrote:So basically what I am hearing is that by your logic, hate crimes against minorities dont exist whatsoever because some reported ones end up being hoaxes, but there is a pandemic of white hate crime going on because of one high profile incident? I guess the overwhelming amount of incidents like the Pittsburgh Synagogue shooting, Wisconsin Sikh temple shooting, Charleston Church shooting, the Blaze Bernstein murder, and Olathe Kansas shooting in 2017 are, what, part of a conspiracy or something?

Hate crimes against minorities are overblown as the case of Jussie Smollet shows, whereas the system usually dont chatge with hate crimes when the victims are whites. There is nothing conspiratoral here. Given that the Liberals hate white people, it is indeed likely to happen.

So, again, because this case may end up being a fabrication, this means that all of the aforementioned incidents and many others.....aren't actually hate crimes? Or something?

Maybe it's because victims of hate crimes are far more likely to be members of an ethnic or religious minority than a member of the ethnic or religious majority. Odd how that works. But no, clearly that cant be the case, its clearly because the evil liberals hate the poor mistreated white people.
ΦΣK
------------------

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:12 pm

Andsed wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Ah. God why do these cases need to be so fucking convoluted? I mean how hard is it to provide proof and conduct a proper investigation? I blame politics as well as social media

Don't worry, you can distract yourself by finding love through matching the contents of your fridge with another on https://www.refrigerdating.com

What a fucking world we live in..

十年

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:14 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Andsed wrote:Agreed I am not seeing any real evidence to back up Smollet here.

The man could’ve literally picked any of the fifteen bazillion hate crimes that happened to make his stand on, but nope, he decided to fake one instead.

Literally has the opposite effect of what he was trying to convey.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General