NATION

PASSWORD

What separates your god from mine?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Korhal IVV
Senator

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:20 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Korhal IVV wrote:Buddhism rejects a deity though?

And another unique word: love.

Not all Buddhism no, and no love is not unique to Christianity.
Hell there are many religions which have a designated God(dess) OF Love.

You should seriously actually study other religions before you try to pass some kind of judgement on them.

As far as I am aware, the Goddesses of Love I know of are synonymous with promiscuity. I do not consider that as love, but rather, lust.

Aphrodite having temple prostitutes is telling enough.

The New California Republic wrote:
Korhal IVV wrote:Buddhism rejects a deity though?

And another unique word: love.

Love isn't unique to Christianity.

K, fine. I wasn’t being clear enough.

However, the point here is that the love of God in Christianity is infinite, alongside being infinitely just and holy. You then have a God that quite literally sacrifices Himself (but not really, as the Father and Son are distinct persons) so that all that believe would be saved by satisfying all criteria for a ticket to heaven.
Last edited by Korhal IVV on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABTH Music Education ~ AB Journalism ~ RPer ~ Keyboard Warrior ~ Futurist ~ INTJ

Economic Left/Right: -0.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
Supports: Christianity, economic development, democracy, common sense, vaccines, space colonization, and health programs
Against: Adding 100 genders, Gay marriage in a church, heresy, Nazism, abortion for no good reason, anti-vaxxers, SJW liberals, and indecency
This nation does reflect my real-life beliefs.
My vocabulary is stranger than a Tzeentchian sorceror. Bare with me.

"Whatever a person may be like, we must still love them because we love God." ~ John Calvin

Berhakonia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Berhakonia » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:23 pm

Concepts that would be better explained by theologians much smarter and wiser than I
A Confederation of Clans in Fealty to the Imperial Throne of Gobul
"There are foolish leaders who believe their subjects as lessers to be subjugated, and there are wise leaders who understand that they are their subjects are one in the same."
-Asrau Arslan XIV Jangpavalgan
Brotherhood, Tradition, Charity

Hystaria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hystaria » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:27 pm

...I used to have a god...A self made one. so long ago.

Alga, the goddess of wind, thats what i called her
A [Tier:9 Level:1 Type:9
Power Comparator: (see below)5.2, according to this index.

(Please quote me in forums to find your response, please, that would be nice.)
Trade with me, trade without Idelogys harming us, Money doesn't care what side you are on.
i swear my eternal service to the lasaga lord and wish to spread it to all i meet .
[spoiler= Official Allies]Bolkenia
Kowani wrote:Hystaria. They’re both edgy, but only one of them is a special kind of edgy.

I dont use NS states, I use factbooks.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:28 pm

Korhal IVV wrote:
Korhal IVV wrote:And another unique word: love.
The New California Republic wrote:Love isn't unique to Christianity.

What kind of love though? Erotic? Agape?

You didn't specify. You merely said that love is a unique word to Christianity, when it clearly isn't. So don't try to shift the goalposts. Naughty naughty! ;)
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Korhal IVV
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:29 pm

Korhal IVV wrote:What kind of love though? Erotic? Agape?

You didn't specify. You merely said that love is a unique word to Christianity, when it clearly isn't. So don't try to shift the goalposts. Naughty naughty! ;)

I just did.
ABTH Music Education ~ AB Journalism ~ RPer ~ Keyboard Warrior ~ Futurist ~ INTJ

Supports: Christianity, economic development, democracy, common sense, vaccines, space colonization, and health programs
Against: Adding 100 genders, Gay marriage in a church, heresy, Nazism, abortion for no good reason, anti-vaxxers, SJW liberals, and indecency

"Whatever a person may be like, we must still love them because we love God." ~ John Calvin

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:33 pm

Korhal IVV wrote:What kind of love though? Erotic? Agape?

It seemed clear to me what Korhal meant, and I suspect it was clear to you too.
Korhal IVV wrote:However, the point here is that the love of God in Christianity is infinite, alongside being infinitely just and holy. You then have a God that quite literally sacrifices Himself (but not really, as the Father and Son are distinct persons) so that all that believe would be saved by satisfying all criteria for a ticket to heaven.

As I've already explained, that's not exclusive to Christianity.
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

Korhal IVV
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:33 pm

I recommend that one to read Jesus Among Other Gods by Ravi Zecharias to fully understand how Christianity is really unique, as I have neither the time nor the will to explain it fully.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:33 pm

Korhal IVV wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:You didn't specify. You merely said that love is a unique word to Christianity, when it clearly isn't. So don't try to shift the goalposts. Naughty naughty! ;)

I just did.

Yeah, now you are. Hence the shifting of the goalposts. :roll:
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Korhal IVV
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:33 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:You didn't specify. You merely said that love is a unique word to Christianity, when it clearly isn't. So don't try to shift the goalposts. Naughty naughty! ;)

It seemed clear to me what Korhal meant, and I suspect it was clear to you too.
Korhal IVV wrote:However, the point here is that the love of God in Christianity is infinite, alongside being infinitely just and holy. You then have a God that quite literally sacrifices Himself (but not really, as the Father and Son are distinct persons) so that all that believe would be saved by satisfying all criteria for a ticket to heaven.

As I've already explained, that's not exclusive to Christianity.

Is there a historical Resurrection in other religions too?

Is any other religion based upon a long chain of historical events, exagerrated or otherwise?

Or where God incarnates as a man to be with us?

First and foremost, the Christian faith is based on the literal, physical resurrection of its founder, Jesus Christ. The apostle Paul considered the resurrection the matter of first importance: "For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures" (1 Corinthians 15:3-4). No other religion is based on the literal resurrection of its founder.

Second, Christianity is unique in its view of God. Christianity is the one faith that teaches there is one God who exists in three Persons—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. All three Persons form one God (Matthew 28:18-19), yet each Person is specifically referred to as God—Father (Genesis 1:1), Son (John 1:1), and Spirit (Acts 5:3-4).

Third, Christianity is unique in its authority. It accepts the 66 books of the Old and New Testament as the inspired Word of God that serves as the authority for matters of faith and practice. Second Timothy 3:16-17 teaches, "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work." Second Peter 1:20-21 adds, "knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone's own interpretation. For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit."

Fourth, Christianity is unique in its impact. The church began in approximately AD 33 in Jerusalem on the Day of Pentecost under the leadership of the apostle Peter and 120 followers of Jesus (Acts 1—2). That day, 3,000 people were added (Acts 2:41). Soon their number grew to 5,000 men (Acts 4:4). Within the next 30 years, churches expanded across the Roman Empire, including Rome itself (Acts 28). By the fourth century, Christianity became the official religion of the Roman Empire. By the 21st Century, it is the world's largest religion, with more than two billion estimated adherents.

Fifth, Christianity is unique in its teachings regarding salvation. All other religious systems require works in order to receive eternal life, teach reincarnation, or reject the afterlife. The Bible teaches salvation is by faith alone in Jesus Christ apart from works (John 3:16; Ephesians 2:8-9).

Other unique teachings exist, yet these five represent some of the key ways Christianity differs from other world religions. Only the Christian faith is built on Jesus Christ as the resurrected Son of God, believes in a Triune God, accepts only the Holy Bible as the Word of God, has had such an impact, and provides salvation freely by the grace of God through faith in Jesus Christ.

1. Christianity provides a coherent world-view. Some religions conflict with basic observation. The Greek pantheon said the gods lived atop Olympus, but they are not there. Native myths say the world sits atop a giant turtle. While some Christian sects (such as young Earth creationists) have incoherent doctrine, most orthodox sects do not.

2. Christianity acknowledges that I am flawed. Some Gnostic religions insist I need to know and understand truths that are beyond me. Some religions prescribe a set of rules that I must perfectly obey.

3. Christianity provides a remedy for my flaws. Now that I have committed sins, some religions leave me helpless and hopeless because there is no remedy for fallen souls such as myself.

4. Christianity has sufficient documentary and archaeological evidence to be feasibly historically correct. While the record is incomplete and some elements seem wrong, there is tons of history that the Bible gets correct. But, for example, I am aware of no archaeological substantiation for the claims made in the Book of Mormon or for the Norse pantheon.

5. Christianity provides me with a community of faithful, who can support me, from whom I can learn and with whom I can celebrate. Many religions do this as well, but some Gnostic sects insist on solitary enlightenment.

Finally, there is the unique attribute that is very personal: Christianity works for me. It meets my deep spiritual needs for comfort, love, peace and joy. Over the years I have come to know my creator as a person who loves me. While this criterion could potentially be true of other faiths, I am unwilling to walk away from my God on the off chance there is another path to him
Last edited by Korhal IVV on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:45 pm

Korhal IVV wrote:Is there a historical Resurrection in other religions too?

Osiris, Tammuz, Adonis, Attis, Dionysus, etc.

Korhal IVV wrote:Is any other religion based upon a long chain of historical events, exagerrated or otherwise?

Judaism, Greek Mythology, off the top of my head.

Korhal IVV wrote:Or where God incarnates as a man to be with us?

Greek Mythology again.

A propensity to make stuff up doesn't really prove much though.

Wave on, wave on

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:47 pm

Korhal IVV wrote:Is there a historical Resurrection in other religions too?

Some religions, yes. It can be observed commonly in Near-Eastern Cults.

Though the very premise of this question is flawed. Even if no other religion had a concept of a god dying and being resurrected, it wouldn't mean that Christianity was the one true religion. All religions have unique characteristics that distinguish them from other religions, those features don't make them true.
Korhal IVV wrote:Is any other religion based upon a long chain of historical events, exagerrated or otherwise?

Yes, no religion I'm aware of claimed to have manifested out of nowhere. Hinduism, Judaism, Buddhism, Confucianism, etc. so unless Ogyū Sorai tracing his philosophy back to the ancient philosopher kings Shun and Yao proves Confucianism, this doesn't mean Christiandom is right.
Korhal IVV wrote:Or where God incarnates as a man to be with us?

Numerous religions have concepts of an avatar, and see my point about the premise being flawed.
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.

Mel Taruhm
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Mel Taruhm » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:48 pm

Mine are separated from yours because I have like 40.
Hzadkngdfell Arkngdfell
VVARDEN KA HZAD NCHARDZEL

Mel Taruhm is the nation's holy name. Hzadkngdfell is universal.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:49 pm

Korhal IVV wrote:
First and foremost, the Christian faith is based on the literal, physical resurrection of its founder, Jesus Christ. The apostle Paul considered the resurrection the matter of first importance: "For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures" (1 Corinthians 15:3-4). No other religion is based on the literal resurrection of its founder.

Second, Christianity is unique in its view of God. Christianity is the one faith that teaches there is one God who exists in three Persons—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. All three Persons form one God (Matthew 28:18-19), yet each Person is specifically referred to as God—Father (Genesis 1:1), Son (John 1:1), and Spirit (Acts 5:3-4).

Third, Christianity is unique in its authority. It accepts the 66 books of the Old and New Testament as the inspired Word of God that serves as the authority for matters of faith and practice. Second Timothy 3:16-17 teaches, "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work." Second Peter 1:20-21 adds, "knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone's own interpretation. For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit."

Fourth, Christianity is unique in its impact. The church began in approximately AD 33 in Jerusalem on the Day of Pentecost under the leadership of the apostle Peter and 120 followers of Jesus (Acts 1—2). That day, 3,000 people were added (Acts 2:41). Soon their number grew to 5,000 men (Acts 4:4). Within the next 30 years, churches expanded across the Roman Empire, including Rome itself (Acts 28). By the fourth century, Christianity became the official religion of the Roman Empire. By the 21st Century, it is the world's largest religion, with more than two billion estimated adherents.

Fifth, Christianity is unique in its teachings regarding salvation. All other religious systems require works in order to receive eternal life, teach reincarnation, or reject the afterlife. The Bible teaches salvation is by faith alone in Jesus Christ apart from works (John 3:16; Ephesians 2:8-9).

Other unique teachings exist, yet these five represent some of the key ways Christianity differs from other world religions. Only the Christian faith is built on Jesus Christ as the resurrected Son of God, believes in a Triune God, accepts only the Holy Bible as the Word of God, has had such an impact, and provides salvation freely by the grace of God through faith in Jesus Christ.

1. Christianity provides a coherent world-view. Some religions conflict with basic observation. The Greek pantheon said the gods lived atop Olympus, but they are not there. Native myths say the world sits atop a giant turtle. While some Christian sects (such as young Earth creationists) have incoherent doctrine, most orthodox sects do not.

2. Christianity acknowledges that I am flawed. Some Gnostic religions insist I need to know and understand truths that are beyond me. Some religions prescribe a set of rules that I must perfectly obey.

3. Christianity provides a remedy for my flaws. Now that I have committed sins, some religions leave me helpless and hopeless because there is no remedy for fallen souls such as myself.

4. Christianity has sufficient documentary and archaeological evidence to be feasibly historically correct. While the record is incomplete and some elements seem wrong, there is tons of history that the Bible gets correct. But, for example, I am aware of no archaeological substantiation for the claims made in the Book of Mormon or for the Norse pantheon.

5. Christianity provides me with a community of faithful, who can support me, from whom I can learn and with whom I can celebrate. Many religions do this as well, but some Gnostic sects insist on solitary enlightenment.

Finally, there is the unique attribute that is very personal: Christianity works for me. It meets my deep spiritual needs for comfort, love, peace and joy. Over the years I have come to know my creator as a person who loves me. While this criterion could potentially be true of other faiths, I am unwilling to walk away from my God on the off chance there is another path to him

Who are you trying to convince? Us, or yourself? This honestly reads like you are having a crisis of faith, and you are trying to make a list of things to reaffirm your faith to yourself...

Wave on, wave on

Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:49 pm

Korhal IVV wrote:The Greek pantheon said the gods lived atop Olympus, but they are not there.

Even in ancient times it was understood that the physical Olympus and the divine Olympus were separate places. I have a book somewhere around here that deals with that subject if you'd like the name but it's pretty spendy nowadays.
Hellenic Polytheist, Socialist

Korhal IVV
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:03 pm

Korhal IVV wrote:

Who are you trying to convince? Us, or yourself? This honestly reads like you are having a crisis of faith, and you are trying to make a list of things to reaffirm your faith to yourself...

?????????

???????

Don’t be funny. This thread asks for what makes one’s religion unique, and I did just that. I wasn’t the one who made the list, either. It is from Quora. I won’t even try to convince you to be a proselyte or whatever as you are too vehement a skeptic to be convinced by anything remotely religious in nature. As for crises of faith, everyone has that at some point, so your premise is pointless.
Last edited by Korhal IVV on Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:13 pm

Korhal IVV wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Who are you trying to convince? Us, or yourself? This honestly reads like you are having a crisis of faith, and you are trying to make a list of things to reaffirm your faith to yourself...

?????????

???????

Don’t be funny. This thread asks for what makes one’s religion unique, and I did just that. I wasn’t the one who made the list, either. It is from Quora. I won’t even try to convince you to be a proselyte or whatever as you are too vehement a skeptic to be convinced by anything remotely religious in nature. As for crises of faith, everyone has that at some point, so your premise is pointless.

I'm not being funny, I'm very serious.

Wave on, wave on

Korhal IVV
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:20 pm

Korhal IVV wrote:?????????

???????

I'm not being funny, I'm very serious.

Then you are failing at making look serious to me.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:22 pm

Korhal IVV wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:I'm not being funny, I'm very serious.

Then you are failing at making look serious to me.

If you want to think that I'm not serious to try to dull the impact of what I said, then that is entirely on you.

Wave on, wave on

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:30 pm

Washington Resistance Army wrote:
Korhal IVV wrote:The Greek pantheon said the gods lived atop Olympus, but they are not there.

Even in ancient times it was understood that the physical Olympus and the divine Olympus were separate places. I have a book somewhere around here that deals with that subject if you'd like the name but it's pretty spendy nowadays.

If it's alright, I'd appreciate the name. It sounds like an interesting book.
Theravada Buddhist

Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:35 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:

I believe it would be Classical Myth by Barry Powell, I could be mistaken cuz a bunch of my books are still in boxes but I'm pretty certain he brings that specific point up a few times.
Hellenic Polytheist, Socialist

Korhal IVV
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:37 pm

Korhal IVV wrote:Then you are failing at making look serious to me.

If you want to think that I'm not serious to try to dull the impact of what I said, then that is entirely on you.

Judying from your constant use of :roll: , I don’t have much inclination to think of you too seriously.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:38 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:

I believe it would be Classical Myth by Barry Powell, I could be mistaken cuz a bunch of my books are still in boxes but I'm pretty certain he brings that specific point up a few times.

I have found it for £42, so I'll add it to the list. Thanks!

Wave on, wave on

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:41 pm

Korhal IVV wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:If you want to think that I'm not serious to try to dull the impact of what I said, then that is entirely on you.

Judying from your constant use of :roll: , I don’t have much inclination to think of you too seriously.

Ridiculously petty strawpicking for a reason not to take me seriously. Alright. Fine. Make whatever excuse you want in order not to take me seriously, if it makes you feel better.

Wave on, wave on

Korhal IVV
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:43 pm

Korhal IVV wrote:Judying from your constant use of :roll: , I don’t have much inclination to think of you too seriously.

Ridiculously petty strawpicking for a reason not to take me seriously. Alright. Fine. Make whatever excuse you want in order not to take me seriously, if it makes you feel better.

To be fair, I never take anyone in the internet too seriously anyway.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:44 pm

Korhal IVV wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Ridiculously petty strawpicking for a reason not to take me seriously. Alright. Fine. Make whatever excuse you want in order not to take me seriously, if it makes you feel better.

To be fair, I never take anyone in the internet too seriously anyway.

Then why are you here to begin with?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General