NATION

PASSWORD

When and how did you find NationStates?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What year was it?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:51 am

2002-2003
5%
2004-2005
8%
2006-2007
2%
2008-2009
6%
2010-2011
6%
2012-2013
8%
2014-2015
10%
2016-2017
30%
2018-2019
25%

Total votes : 63

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:45 am

I'm pretty sure this thread has existed like 20 times over, but oh well.

Anyways, I just searched up "Create your own nation" and found this site. The rest is history. Awful, cancerous history.
All shall tremble before me

Imperial Octavia
Secretary

Founded: Feb 03, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Octavia » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:46 am

Found an advertisement, while playing Roblox and that is how I got here. That was back in late 2016.
Last edited by Imperial Octavia on Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Factbooks
Overview
Military
International relations
INSERT RP HERE
OOC
Radical Centrist
Third Positionist enthusiast
Discord
♔|| The Octavian Empire ||♔
♔ Led by Emperor VictorNet
| Sovereign News Network | “Feed the Empire” written by Military Analyst, James Watson and edited by Rosie Jones has been publish for citizens intrigued by the mindset of the Imperial Military from past operations in expanding the borders of the Emperor’s realms. | Duke Tyran has once again mysteriously managed to get his head stuck in a fence, while traveling by carriage to his place of work.|

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:48 am

Imperial Octavia wrote:Found an advertisement, while playing Roblox and that is how I got here.

BEGONE BRICKSTER!
All shall tremble before me

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:07 am

Jetan wrote:Didn't we just have this thread (again)?

I'm not often on General, so we may have done. Happy for a merge, of course.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Bluelight-R006
Senator

Founded: Mar 31, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bluelight-R006 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:10 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Out of curiosity, what brought y'all to nationstates? A friend? Found it yourself? Adverts?

For me, I was running this roleplaying game for my friends called Over The Edge, which is set in a nation called Al Amarja. I was prepping some material, and googled Al Amarja to see if there was any fan work on the setting.

Turned up the Al Amarja in nationstates. Thought "huh, what is this thing?" and made a nation myself, which I named after the setting nation in another rpg I was running at the time, this time a homebrew one. Candlewhisper Archive was a monastery library with a vampiric chief librarian, staffed by a literal skeleton crew. Never intended to do much with it, but joined 10,000 Islands on the basis that in my game it was all about thousands of islands in an unending ocean, with the players sailing between them.

That was only 4 years ago. I may have become a little bit engaged in the game since then.

My friend , Gh0sty, introduced me to NationStates on Google+ back in 2016. I was fascinated by the colours of numbers in the game (the Civil Rights, Economy and Political Rights boxes) and that I wanted to control them, because I like numbers.

So that’s how I started playing it. I made my first account in January 2017, but if failed because I didn’t know how the naming system worked ([nation type] of [nation name]: well now I know). Because my nation’s name back then was Blue Kingdom, I decided to make a short form called ‘Blue K’ and it just sucked when you say Kingdom of Blue K.

Other than that, I was also confused when I saw the nation overview on your nation page. It said so many things about politics and population and I just wanted to give up because it was too confusing.

So I left the same day the nation was created, but I came back on April 1 2017 and after name consultation, I decided to name the nation after my online Friend, username Clash Bluelight, whom I worked with for a 3 year long micronation project after we met up on an AllTime10s video on micronation. Of course, being an ambitious 7 year old back then (in 2013), I’d always follow where the master leads me.

I was the only one who took his words seriously out of the people saying ’Omg I’ll join ur micronation.’ But he grew bored of it and he left. I was still interested in a real life micronation that I asked my friends to join my currently online.

Just after this nation was founded, I had ambitions to make it a real life micronation in an empty plot of land near my home in Singapore. But it failed because just a few months after, work began on a new set of apartments on that land.

I dropped the idea of this becoming a real life micronation in early 2018.
Last edited by Bluelight-R006 on Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Indo States
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2018
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Indo States » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:11 am

In 1st Week of 2018, (January 5 2018), I've Searching for Nation Simulator because My Roblox Account don't Have Builder's Club (An Feature that Allows you to trade Items, Make Groups, Earn Robux at First, Use DevEx, Make Shirts and Pants). So I've Maked the Games but They Disliked. So i searched Nation Making Simulator and Found NationStates with my Cousin, I Can't Name Philippines because it's an Real Life Nation and It's Reserved in Boneyard. Then i Was Using Flags from Google and Created More Flags from MS Paint.
Fédération Fatimanienné - Fatiman Federation
Country of Freedom and Education

I DO NOT USE NATIONSTATES STATS

Prusenreich
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Prusenreich » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:12 am

I was looking for information in nation-states (real ones) and I found this
Based off a Custom Euiv nation

Kurgon
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 19, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Kurgon » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:18 am

Bluelight-R006 wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Out of curiosity, what brought y'all to nationstates? A friend? Found it yourself? Adverts?

For me, I was running this roleplaying game for my friends called Over The Edge, which is set in a nation called Al Amarja. I was prepping some material, and googled Al Amarja to see if there was any fan work on the setting.

Turned up the Al Amarja in nationstates. Thought "huh, what is this thing?" and made a nation myself, which I named after the setting nation in another rpg I was running at the time, this time a homebrew one. Candlewhisper Archive was a monastery library with a vampiric chief librarian, staffed by a literal skeleton crew. Never intended to do much with it, but joined 10,000 Islands on the basis that in my game it was all about thousands of islands in an unending ocean, with the players sailing between them.

That was only 4 years ago. I may have become a little bit engaged in the game since then.

My friend , Gh0sty, introduced me to NationStates on Google+ back in 2016. I was fascinated by the colours of numbers in the game (the Civil Rights, Economy and Political Rights boxes) and that I wanted to control them, because I like numbers.

So that’s how I started playing it. I made my first account in January 2017, but if failed because I didn’t know how the naming system worked ([nation type] of [nation name]: well now I know). Because my nation’s name back then was Blue Kingdom, I decided to make a short form called ‘Blue K’ and it just sucked when you say Kingdom of Blue K.

Other than that, I was also confused when I saw the nation overview on your nation page. It said so many things about politics and population and I just wanted to give up because it was too confusing.

So I left the same day the nation was created, but I came back on April 1 2017 and after name consultation, I decided to name the nation after my online Friend, username Clash Bluelight, whom I worked with for a 3 year long micronation project after we met up on an AllTime10s video on micronation. Of course, being an ambitious 7 year old back then (in 2013), I’d always follow where the master leads me.

I was the only one who took his words seriously out of the people saying ’Omg I’ll join ur micronation.’ But he grew bored of it and he left. I was still interested in a real life micronation that I asked my friends to join my currently online.

Just after this nation was founded, I had ambitions to make it a real life micronation in an empty plot of land near my home in Singapore. But it failed because just a few months after, work began on a new set of apartments on that land.

I dropped the idea of this becoming a real life micronation in early 2018.

You live in SG? Me 2.
Anyways, I was engrossed in countries, interested in stats and stuff. I typed up create your own country and saw Nationstates. I swept that aside. However, I decided to take a look and found it fun. The fun wore out though and I CTEed, only to be found last August. And tada!
Whoops. This is for Third Asopia, my other account. This is Kurgon:
I visionised that there would be a breakaways state from Dritten Asopie. And tada!
Last edited by Kurgon on Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Replunic of Kurgon
Kurgon Symphonic Orchestra: Coming Soon

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:21 am

Kurgon wrote:You live in SG? Me 2.
Anyways, I was engrossed in countries, interested in stats and stuff. I typed up create your own country and saw Nationstates. I swept that aside. However, I decided to take a look and found it fun. The fun wore out though and I CTEed, only to be found last August. And tada!

Hey, me three! Living in Singapore for 12 years now! (Previously in Myanmar for 11 years).

I found NationStates through a friend. So one day I was browsing through Facebook randomly, and my friend actually posted some graph about her stats, or something to that effect. Curious, I asked her what the game was.

"Ohh, it's NationStates!"

And the rest is history. It's pretty rare to see a player in Singapore, so had it not for me browsing through Facebook at that time, or my friend not posting anything NS related, I would not have found this website at all.

"Valentine is taken!"

DAHT. Valentine... Z?

And yes, my IRL nickname is Valentine. It ain't official, but it's only because I was born on the V-Day. :P
Last edited by Valentine Z on Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:25 am

My friend - one day he just came up to me and was like "Hey [name], look at this, isn't it interesting? We could use it as the backdrop for some other cool stuff." - he has been CTE for years now. I don't want to say his nation name, because 5 years has passed and it is available once again, and I don't want to take it. I also cant convince him to pick it back up anymore. Ironic actually - he introduced this game to me over 5 years ago, and now I am the one playing.

(For reference, this nation is actually my 5th - also my main - I stopped playing alongside him and eventually came back to not having a clue what my password was. I also used a junk email, so that didn't help.)
Author of GA #455
Favourite Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9iYAsoX5t8
Aspiring Issue Author (6-times-failed)
Ban Abortion!

"A person's a person, no matter how small."

Choose love over death!

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:26 am

I used to play Rise of Nations, and I was googling some info about it. Ended up here instead.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:29 am

Esternial wrote:I used to play Rise of Nations, and I was googling some info about it. Ended up here instead.

Ahh, Rise of Nations! I always play as the Dutch (their economy throughout the game is amazing), and the Egyptians (2 wonders per city, and one age in advance, holy crap!)

So yeap, without getting off-track too much, I got quite a few stuff here in my nations that was inspired by Rise of Nations. :D
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Jetan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 07, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Jetan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:29 am

Esternial wrote:I used to play Rise of Nations, and I was googling some info about it. Ended up here instead.

That's a good one. We used to play via LAN a lot, but most games ended in Armageddon.
Second Finn, after Imm
........Геть Росію.........
Україна вільна і єдина
From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me.
Beholder's Lair - a hobby blog
32 years old, patriotic Finnish guy interested in history. Hobbies include miniatures, all kinds of games, books, anime and manga.
Always open to TGs. Pro/Against

Ceterum autem censeo Putinem esse delendum

Bluelight-R006
Senator

Founded: Mar 31, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bluelight-R006 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:30 am

Kurgon wrote:
Bluelight-R006 wrote:snip

You live in SG? Me 2.

Aye! Perhaps we’ll get a chance to see each other one day!

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:32 am

Jetan wrote:

That's a good one. We used to play via LAN a lot, but most games ended in Armageddon.

I always opted for total air superiority.

And cruise missiles.

Lots of cruise missiles.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:33 am

Esternial wrote:
Jetan wrote:That's a good one. We used to play via LAN a lot, but most games ended in Armageddon.

And cruise missiles.

Lots of cruise missiles.

If you can't beat the others, might as well take yourself out while you're at it.

I only played with AI nations as of now, and... let's say they try to spam nukes until Armageddon reaches 1. I have to disable for everyone, including myself.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Jetan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 07, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Jetan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:33 am

Esternial wrote:
Jetan wrote:That's a good one. We used to play via LAN a lot, but most games ended in Armageddon.

And cruise missiles.

Lots of cruise missiles.

Good choice. Stealth bombers are one of the only (if not the only?) things that could actually destroy cities.
Second Finn, after Imm
........Геть Росію.........
Україна вільна і єдина
From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me.
Beholder's Lair - a hobby blog
32 years old, patriotic Finnish guy interested in history. Hobbies include miniatures, all kinds of games, books, anime and manga.
Always open to TGs. Pro/Against

Ceterum autem censeo Putinem esse delendum

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:34 am

I was in a phase where sandbox games were particularly appealing for some (or no) reason, this evolved into nation management as I was beginning to develop a political self at around the same time. I tried out a bunch of simulators but for some weird reason, NationStates stuck.

Perhaps it was the minimal, comprehensive, and satirical interface. Maybe I just have a fetish for bar graphs, either way, I stuck around and answered issues until I migrated to the forums. All the while, I assume, making a fool out of myself, as is the only thing a 12-14-year-old knows how to do.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

BuDa
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby BuDa » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:37 am

I found NationStates in February 2017, when I was watching some YouTube stuff and went into Gh05ty's document. It contained his nation link and I found NationStates.
THE CONFEDERACY OF BUDA
XVII Non spera quae placuerat
We partially use NS stats.

THE BUDA HERALD: COVID-19 update: 24,081 infected; 1,004 dead; 3,196 recovered

I have played this game for 3 years now, but I'm not active at most times.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:39 am

Valrifell wrote:I was in a phase where sandbox games were particularly appealing for some (or no) reason, this evolved into nation management as I was beginning to develop a political self at around the same time. I tried out a bunch of simulators but for some weird reason, NationStates stuck.

Perhaps it was the minimal, comprehensive, and satirical interface. Maybe I just have a fetish for bar graphs, either way, I stuck around and answered issues until I migrated to the forums. All the while, I assume, making a fool out of myself, as is the only thing a 12-14-year-old knows how to do.

The best thing about NS for me so far are the stats, the factbook writing, and best of all, no pay-to-win mechanics whereby you can buy your way through and kill other nations' armies quicker than others.

So... that was actually the best thing for me. :D
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:40 am

Valentine Z wrote:

Hey, me three! Living in Singapore for 12 years now! (Previously in Myanmar for 11 years).

I found NationStates through a friend. So one day I was browsing through Facebook randomly, and my friend actually posted some graph about her stats, or something to that effect. Curious, I asked her what the game was.

And the rest is history. It's pretty rare to see a player in Singapore, so had it not for me browsing through Facebook at that time, or my friend not posting anything NS related, I would not have found this website at all.

"Valentine is taken!"

DAHT. Valentine... Z?

And yes, my IRL nickname is Valentine. It ain't official, but it's only because I was born on the V-Day. :P

Happy Advanced Birthday, Valentine Z!

My story went from me looking up RL nationstates and found this instead. The rest is history.
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Kurgon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Kurgon » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:40 am

Valentine Z wrote:

"Valentine is taken!"

DAHT. Valentine... Z?

Are you my clone? My parents came from Myanmar and they migrated here!
The Replunic of Kurgon

Kurgon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Kurgon » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:42 am

Bluelight-R006 wrote:

Aye! Perhaps we’ll get a chance to see each other one day!

I don’t even know where you live. Jurong? Pasir Ris? Tuas? Just kidding about Tuas.
The Replunic of Kurgon

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:48 am

Kurgon wrote:Are you my clone? My parents came from Myanmar and they migrated here!

Could be? Maybe we are long lost clones or parallels of each other! :P

Still, what a coincidence!

We came here around 2005 just for holidays, then we thought, hey, the education system here is fantastic! So I have been here since 2006, though I do occasionally go back, because I love to be in Myanmar at times.

Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:

My story went from me looking up RL nationstates and found this instead. The rest is history.

Thank you very much! Ahh, I see... I never thought about searching stuff like a "nation simulator". It's those things you think you don't need or won't play until you found it.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Third Asopia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 06, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Third Asopia » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:58 am

Valentine Z wrote:
Kurgon wrote:Are you my clone? My parents came from Myanmar and they migrated here!

Could be? Maybe we are long lost clones or parallels of each other! :P

Still, what a coincidence!

We came here around 2005 just for holidays, then we thought, hey, the education system here is fantastic! So I have been here since 2006, though I do occasionally go back, because I love to be in Myanmar at times.

Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:

Thank you very much! Ahh, I see... I never thought about searching stuff like a "nation simulator". It's those things you think you don't need or won't play until you found it.

Kurgon's other account says:
We should really do a union thingy.
Presenting my signature signature!
Procrastination... is the art of knowing you have a job to do but know there's like a year till it's due. It's elemental for the Asopin soul to survive in such a slow-paced world.
Bored of having to see Juventus winning the Schudetto too many times? Can wait to see that match where Ronaldo didn’t shoot at all? Tired of seeing Napoli fight for first place when there’s no point? Oh boy, you’ve found a new friend.

I got Theo Theodoridis as my flag model. Showing my love for Greece!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General