NATION

PASSWORD

New Jersey to Teach LGBT History in Schools

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Grater Tovakia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 27, 2018
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Grater Tovakia » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:04 pm

The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord wrote:
Grater Tovakia wrote:Thank you, Murphy, very cool!

Can we plz fix NJ transit now?

You think that the transportation infrastructure in NJ is bad? Outside of the metropolitan areas of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, PA has horrid infrastructure. Truly horrid. At least in Hell the roads are reasonably paved.

NJT employees are our biggest problem, yesterday I had a conductor who cursed out a mom and her kids for not having the proper ticket (while you need the right ticket it was the wrong approach) and then 5 secs later the same conductor let 3 guys (all reeking of weed) ride for free because of a certain aspect they had in common. Sorry for the threadjack but NJT is pretty bad.
Never pet a burning dog

Trumptonium1
Senator

Founded: Apr 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trumptonium1 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:04 pm

Preferred pronouns: His Majesty/Your Highness

https://www.bolsonaro.com.br/
Resident Non-Pumpkin Character

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:04 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
LGBT has less to do with culture and more to do with sociology and biology; i.e., not history.

...culture is very closely intertwined with sociology.

Not really. They're connected; not intertwined.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:05 pm

The South Falls wrote:
You think that the transportation infrastructure in NJ is bad? Outside of the metropolitan areas of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, PA has horrid infrastructure. Truly horrid. At least in Hell the roads are reasonably paved.

New Jersey's transport system should be fixed instead. The money should be reappropriated.

So you’re siding with NJ then?

I mean, PA is fast-approaching Greece-levels of broke-ness. We can barely maintain order in some of the smaller, poorer towns, and our infrastructure is literally crumbling. In fact, I’d go so far as to argue that some parts of PA are a “failed state”, so to speak.
< THE HIGH SWAGLORD | 8VALUES | POLITISCALES >
My NS stats are not indicative of my OOC views. NS stats are meant to be rather silly. My OOC political and ideological inspirations are as such:
The Republic, by Plato | Leviathan, by Thomas Hobbes | The Confucian civil service system of imperial China | The "Golden Liberty" elective
monarchy system of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth | The corporatist/technocratic philosophy of Henri de Saint-Simon | The communitarian
ideological framework of the Singaporean People's Action Party | "New Deal"-style societal regimentation | Kantian/Mohist/Stoic philosophy

Grater Tovakia
Diplomat

Postby Grater Tovakia » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:06 pm

Trumptonium1 wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programme_for_International_Student_Assessment

(Image)

This is too true ( I support LGBT history but many public school students can't read or do basic arithmetic)
Never pet a burning dog

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:07 pm

The South Falls wrote:New Jersey's transport system should be fixed instead. The money should be reappropriated.

I mean, PA is fast-approaching Greece-levels of broke-ness. We can barely maintain order in some of the smaller, poorer towns, and our infrastructure is literally crumbling. In fact, I’d go so far as to argue that some parts of PA are a “failed state”, so to speak.

So ... what's the topic here? LGBT history lessons on NJ Transit trains? Hmmm?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:07 pm

Grater Tovakia wrote:Thank you, Murphy, very cool!

Can we plz fix NJ transit now?

no, some things are to much to ask.

edit: now i read farns post ....
Last edited by Ethel mermania on Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:08 pm

Grater Tovakia wrote:

NJT employees are our biggest problem, yesterday I had a conductor who cursed out a mom and her kids for not having the proper ticket (while you need the right ticket it was the wrong approach) and then 5 secs later the same conductor let 3 guys (all reeking of weed) ride for free because of a certain aspect they had in common. Sorry for the threadjack but NJT is pretty bad.

You’re right, we should return to topic. My apologies.

Tbh, the public education system in the United States is a clustertruck of unfathomable scale. Hence why I am privately schooled, and rather thankful that I have that privilege. The LGBT history lessons, while well intentioned, won’t fix the underlying issues in the education system.
Last edited by The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord on Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
< THE HIGH SWAGLORD | 8VALUES | POLITISCALES >
My NS stats are not indicative of my OOC views. NS stats are meant to be rather silly. My OOC political and ideological inspirations are as such:
The Republic, by Plato | Leviathan, by Thomas Hobbes | The Confucian civil service system of imperial China | The "Golden Liberty" elective
monarchy system of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth | The corporatist/technocratic philosophy of Henri de Saint-Simon | The communitarian
ideological framework of the Singaporean People's Action Party | "New Deal"-style societal regimentation | Kantian/Mohist/Stoic philosophy

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:09 pm

Trumptonium1 wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programme_for_International_Student_Assessment

(Image)

I genuinely wish they teached home economics at fucking school..

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:09 pm

Grater Tovakia wrote:

(Image)

This is too true ( I support LGBT history but many public school students can't read or do basic arithmetic)

We can do basic arithmetic, Trump1 just has bad memes.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:10 pm

Western Vale Confederacy wrote:

(Image)

Was a requirement where I grew up.

Grater Tovakia
Diplomat

Postby Grater Tovakia » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:10 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Grater Tovakia wrote:

So because you can do math means everyone can?
Never pet a burning dog

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:11 pm

The South Falls wrote:New Jersey's transport system should be fixed instead. The money should be reappropriated.

PA is one of those states that used to be great when everything worked. Now it's one of those states you go to unless you have a business or family there.
Grater Tovakia wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

2 + 2 equals 4, dude. That's what we're talking about.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:12 pm

Grater Tovakia wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

US education standards vary wildly between state and even districts, it's completely unfair to say that we're all educated like the third world, particularly when there's a world class university system to be had.

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:12 pm

The South Falls wrote:
Explain to me the relevance of the LGBT in American History outside of the advancement and expansion of civil rights.

We teach the 1960s Civil Rights movement in our history classes, why not this?

The Civil Rights Movement was a very specific period in American history marked by large-scale demonstrations across the country in an attempt to secure equals rights for the single largest minority in the country (at the time). It was highly organized and had a lasting impact on the average American and American society to such a degree that the affects can still be felt to this very day.

There is no movement the LGBT can claim ownership to which bares any similarity to the sheer weight, influence, and importance of the Civil Right Movement in American History. Covering all LGBT History in America would just give us another "Black History Month"; another pointless division in the teaching of American History.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:12 pm

Grater Tovakia wrote:

You’re right, we should return to topic. My apologies.

Tbh, the public education system in the United States is a clustertruck of unfathomable scale. Hence why I am privately schooled, and rather thankful that I have that privilege. The LGBT history lessons, while well intentioned, won’t fix the underlying issues in the education system.

for the most part new jersey public schools are pretty good. Teachers make real money, most have are in the process of getting their masters degree in eductaion, again outside the big cities class sizes are small. there really is not any reason not too.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

The Galactic Liberal Democracy
Minister

Founded: Jun 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Galactic Liberal Democracy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:12 pm

The South Falls wrote:

Because the LGBT civil rights movement hasn’t come yet.
Last edited by The Galactic Liberal Democracy on Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOT STORMTROOPERS
Cossack Khanate wrote:This shall forever be known as World War Sh*t: Newark Aggression. Now if I see one more troop deployed, I will call on the force of all the Hindu gods to reverse time and wipe your race of the face of the planet. Cease.

The Black Party wrote:(TBP kamikaze's into all 99999999999 nukes before they hit our territory because we just have that many pilots ready to die for dah blak regime, we also counter-attack into your nation with our entire population of 45 million because this RP allows it.)

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Galatic Liberal Democracy short-circuits all of NS with FACTS and LOGIC

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:13 pm

The Galactic Liberal Democracy wrote:
The South Falls wrote:Explain to me the relevance of the LGBT in American History outside of the advancement and expansion of civil rights.

Because the LGBT civil rights movement hasn’t come yet.

I wake up to see some rainbow march going on somewhere nearly once every week or so
Last edited by Aureumterra on Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:14 pm

The South Falls wrote:Explain to me the relevance of the LGBT in American History outside of the advancement and expansion of civil rights.

Because the LGBT civil rights movement hasn’t come yet.[/quote]

Yes it has. There are leaders, marches, speeches the whole shabang. That you're unaware is a point for the program

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:15 pm

The South Falls wrote:We teach the 1960s Civil Rights movement in our history classes, why not this?

The Civil Rights Movement was a very specific period in American history marked by large-scale demonstrations across the country in an attempt to secure equals rights for the single largest minority in the country (at the time). It was highly organized and had a lasting impact on the average American and American society to such a degree that the affects can still be felt to this very day.

There is no movement the LGBT can claim ownership to which bares any similarity to the sheer weight, influence, and importance of the Civil Right Movement in American History. Covering all LGBT History in America would just give us another "Black History Month"; another pointless division in the teaching of American History.

if you were to prepare a course of american history of the 20th century, its a continuation of the civil rights movement, the womens rights movement, and the counter culture, and how these have changed american culture.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:15 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Western Vale Confederacy wrote:

Was a requirement where I grew up.

Now that's why y'all know how to cook and pay taxes.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Azdov Mobius
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Azdov Mobius » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:16 pm

Western Vale Confederacy wrote:LGBT history remains history, so yeah, I wholeheartedly support it!

I wanna know about the hella gay Iberian Moors and Ferdinand I of Bulgaria’s bisexual tendencies!

Both the Moors and Bulgarians murdered gay people.
Last edited by Azdov Mobius on Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:16 pm

Because the LGBT civil rights movement hasn’t come yet.[/quote]

i would suggest you google the stonewall riots, or act-up.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Trumptonium1
Senator

Founded: Apr 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trumptonium1 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:16 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Grater Tovakia wrote:

Well looking at the PISA scores your basic arithmetic is obviously too basic.
Preferred pronouns: His Majesty/Your Highness

https://www.bolsonaro.com.br/
Resident Non-Pumpkin Character

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:16 pm

The South Falls wrote:We teach the 1960s Civil Rights movement in our history classes, why not this?

I mean, this doesn't have to be a massive unit. This can be a small addition to what is taught, with one or two questions on any sort of standardized test. It's a smaller movement, but it still saw people fight for their rights as relating to their sexual orientations.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General