NATION

PASSWORD

Autism Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:28 pm

Spoke to a conference of teachers on Friday, largely informing them of the uselessness of autism as a general diagnosis.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:34 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Spoke to a conference of teachers on Friday, largely informing them of the uselessness of autism as a general diagnosis.

Why so?

Because of how different it is amongst people, I've read so many stories of people getting the wrong sort of support because they were diagnosed with moronic phrases like 'high-functioning autism.' You actually have to know somebody to know the support they will need.
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:38 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Because of how different it is amongst people, I've read so many stories of people getting the wrong sort of support because they were diagnosed with moronic phrases like 'high-functioning autism.' You actually have to know somebody to know the support they will need.

I agree. People with autism act like they know how I should act or how I'm "bullshitting" stuff or lying or whatever because they also apparently have it, it's an issue that's caused harassment and ruined friendships, we need to combat this and possibly consider Autism less a condition and more of a genre of conditions that are vast and wide, the same way politics is vast and varied in types.

No, the best ones are the teachers who have a son with autism and who are therefore automatically autism experts.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:42 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:No, the best ones are the teachers who have a son with autism and who are therefore automatically autism experts.

Sorry, that sarcasm? Sounds like it could be, but it's not entirely clear. 51/49 shot of it being sarcastic.

The piss was being taken, yes. You get teachers who believe they are suddenly autism experts due to 'I have a son with autism.'

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:45 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:The piss was being taken, yes. You get teachers who believe they are suddenly autism experts due to 'I have a son with autism.'

Ah yes, they usually are poor with autistic people too.

They're worse than teachers who just know fuck all about autism, because they think they know everything.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:48 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:They're worse than teachers who just know fuck all about autism, because they think they know everything.

I know right, so annoying.

On the upside often they have patience in spades, if they don't act like they know everything.

Not when you start acting entirely unlike the singular person with autism they know.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:18 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Not when you start acting entirely unlike the singular person with autism they know.

Explain?

Mr. Coogan (no names have been changed for this story) expected me to act like his low-functioning autistic son due to my diagnosis. I didn't. He couldn't handle it.

Indo-Malaysia
Minister

Founded: Nov 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Indo-Malaysia » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:27 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Because of how different it is amongst people, I've read so many stories of people getting the wrong sort of support because they were diagnosed with moronic phrases like 'high-functioning autism.' You actually have to know somebody to know the support they will need.

I agree. People with autism act like they know how I should act or how I'm "bullshitting" stuff or lying or whatever because they also apparently have it, it's an issue that's caused harassment and ruined friendships, we need to combat this and possibly consider Autism less a condition and more of a genre of conditions that are vast and wide, the same way politics is vast and varied in types.

Is that not already done, hence the concept of the Autism Spectrum?
Tsar of the Order of the Southern North.
The Midnight Order guy

Winner of the Best Delegate of Warzone Africa award

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:12 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Mr. Coogan (no names have been changed for this story) expected me to act like his low-functioning autistic son due to my diagnosis. I didn't. He couldn't handle it.

:roll:

I get it, I was meaning if they were patient and willing to learn.

As a political candidate I am concerned particularly.

You're running for office? Can I be the vice president?
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:43 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Eternal Lotharia wrote:Explain?

Mr. Coogan (no names have been changed for this story) expected me to act like his low-functioning autistic son due to my diagnosis. I didn't. He couldn't handle it.

I don't think they appreciate that I basically outgrew my diagnosis either. I also think they don't appreciate that I went from autist to aspie to normal kid to juvenile delinquent to psychotic lunatic. TOo many steps involved
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Springfeal
Envoy

Founded: Jul 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Springfeal » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:59 pm

Some autistics are pretty functional and even manage to overcome their autism over time. For light cases all that is needed is some counselling to help them function socially.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:09 pm

Springfeal wrote:Some autistics are pretty functional and even manage to overcome their autism over time. For light cases all that is needed is some counselling to help them function socially.

While true, that doesn't make them no longer autistic.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Springfeal
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Springfeal » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:13 pm

Telconi wrote:
Springfeal wrote:Some autistics are pretty functional and even manage to overcome their autism over time. For light cases all that is needed is some counselling to help them function socially.

Well, regardless, my point stands that some autistics can grow up to be perfectly functional people if raised and educated properly. Sadly, if nothing is done from an early age, said autism can grow worse and you end up with someone like Christian Weston Chandler.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:19 pm

Springfeal wrote:
Telconi wrote:

Well, regardless, my point stands that some autistics can grow up to be perfectly functional people if raised and educated properly. Sadly, if nothing is done from an early age, said autism can grow worse and you end up with someone like Christian Weston Chandler.

Sometimes they turn out allright despite bad raising.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Springfeal
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Springfeal » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:27 pm

Telconi wrote:
Springfeal wrote:

Hmm... well I guess one's individual personality also plays a role then... which would mean that Chris-chan is just a shitty person to begin with.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:30 pm

Springfeal wrote:
Telconi wrote:

Don't say his name. It's best to avoid even thinking it

You don't want to summon the Cwc

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:31 pm

Springfeal wrote:
Telconi wrote:

Hmm... well I guess one's individual personality also plays a role then... which would mean that Chris-chan is just a shitty person to begin with.

Once some trolls pretended to be about to kill his online girlfriend and he didn't even have the ambition to go save her. Man is a punk whether he's got autism or not. Never excuse someone for their behavior if they can speak and form a coherent sentence of any sort. Chris ought to know better

Springfeal
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Springfeal » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:35 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Springfeal wrote:

Once some trolls pretended to be about to kill his online girlfriend and he didn't even have the ambition to go save her. Man is a punk whether he's got autism or not. Never excuse someone for their behavior if they can speak and form a coherent sentence of any sort. Chris ought to know better

Oh yeah, I remember that... He also seemed overtly amazed at his apparent popularity (rather than sad) when he thought that Ryan Cash killed himself because Chris briefly stopped making his stupid comics.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:36 pm

Springfeal wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Oh yeah, I remember that... He also seemed overtly amazed at his apparent popularity (rather than sad) when he thought that Ryan Cash killed himself because Chris briefly stopped making his stupid comics.

broski's an asshole, and he may soon be going full jonestown on us with this "dimensional merge" approaching.

Springfeal
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Springfeal » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:43 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Springfeal wrote:

broski's an asshole, and he may soon be going full jonestown on us with this "dimensional merge" approaching.

Dimensional merge? It's been a few years since I have last checked on his antics so I am dark on the lastest events.... I am afraid to even ask.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:01 pm

Springfeal wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Dimensional merge? It's been a few years since I have last checked on his antics so I am dark on the lastest events.... I am afraid to even ask.

Chris claims that the fictional characters he created as well as other fantasy characters such as MLP, star wars and spongebob actually exist in an alternate reality and that soon the two realities will merge, triggering a cataclysmic event. People who have a counterpart in the other reality will be merged with that counterpart while those who don't will die. As a result, millions are expected by Chris to perish. I am so happy this is fake because I can't imagine what hellish fandoms would come to exist if this occurred. Chris has been releasing cryptic messages about it, claims he can talk to the gods and has recently listed Jesus Christ as being an OC alongside MlP, starwars and apongebob (oc as in original character, like Jesus is part of some comic book franchise). Man's lost it

Springfeal
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Springfeal » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:10 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Springfeal wrote:

Chris claims that the fictional characters he created as well as other fantasy characters such as MLP, star wars and spongebob actually exist in an alternate reality and that soon the two realities will merge, triggering a cataclysmic event. People who have a counterpart in the other reality will be merged with that counterpart while those who don't will die. As a result, millions are expected by Chris to perish. I am so happy this is fake because I can't imagine what hellish fandoms would come to exist if this occurred. Chris has been releasing cryptic messages about it, claims he can talk to the gods and has recently listed Jesus Christ as being an OC alongside MlP, starwars and apongebob (oc as in original character, like Jesus is part of some comic book franchise). Man's lost it

........ that's a huge leap forward (or backwards) from pepper spraying a Gamestop employee (which is the last I had heard of him until now) over Sonic's arms... I am surprised he hasn't been institutionalized yet... or is even still alive given his stupid decisions and bad health... whelp, I won't be shocked if he takes things further and he makes the news as the police lay siege to his house...

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:32 am

Springfeal wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

........ that's a huge leap forward (or backwards) from pepper spraying a Gamestop employee (which is the last I had heard of him until now) over Sonic's arms... I am surprised he hasn't been institutionalized yet... or is even still alive given his stupid decisions and bad health... whelp, I won't be shocked if he takes things further and he makes the news as the police lay siege to his house...

I seriously wonder if barb is even still alive. Haven't seen her and knowing chris, if she died he wouldn't do anything

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:33 am

Springfeal wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Institutionalising someone is very rarely the answer.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:01 am

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Mr. Coogan (no names have been changed for this story) expected me to act like his low-functioning autistic son due to my diagnosis. I didn't. He couldn't handle it.

:roll:

I get it, I was meaning if they were patient and willing to learn.

As a political candidate I am concerned particularly.

I wouldn't really call you somebody who sould go into politics, however much you like politics.

By the way, the notion of a "dream job" is the some of the worst bullshit that has ever been sold to people. Too many folks out there, including my mother, say things like "Why should I change my job/prepare for a different one? You need to pay me more, I don't have to do anything else!"

You don't get the job you want, you get the job that suits you and pays the best of all available.

/rant
Last edited by Petrolheadia on Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General