NATION

PASSWORD

Autism Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Indo-Malaysia
Minister

Founded: Nov 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Indo-Malaysia » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:03 pm

The Isle of Beithe wrote:
Indo-Malaysia wrote:Oh
I thought it still is called Aspergers?

My life is a lie.

DSM V lumped Asperger's into "Autism Spectrum Disorder."

However, many people diagnosed pre-DSM V still prefer the term Asperger's.

How come?

The old'en has a better ring to it.
Tsar of the Order of the Southern North.
The Midnight Order guy

Winner of the Best Delegate of Warzone Africa award

Traceynia
Envoy

Founded: Oct 30, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Traceynia » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:07 pm

Indo-Malaysia wrote:
The Isle of Beithe wrote:DSM V lumped Asperger's into "Autism Spectrum Disorder."

However, many people diagnosed pre-DSM V still prefer the term Asperger's.

How come?

The core symptoms of autism are the same across the spectrum: issues with expressive language, issues with social skills, and stereotypic behaviors or obsession. The spectrum is really more about levels of intellectual disability or lack thereof.

Traceynia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Traceynia » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:08 pm

I am not on the ASD spectrum, but I am a board certified behavior analyst, and work with children and adults with autism spectrum disorders as my area of practice.

Indo-Malaysia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Indo-Malaysia » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:08 pm

Traceynia wrote:
Indo-Malaysia wrote:How come?

The core symptoms of autism are the same across the spectrum: issues with expressive language, issues with social skills, and stereotypic behaviors or obsession. The spectrum is really more about levels of intellectual disability or lack thereof.

So what made it a controversial change then?
The Midnight Order guy

Traceynia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Traceynia » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:11 pm

Indo-Malaysia wrote:
Traceynia wrote:

I personally have never heard any controversy, so you'll have to ask the other posters.

The Isle of Beithe
Envoy

Founded: Sep 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Isle of Beithe » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:13 pm

Indo-Malaysia wrote:
Traceynia wrote:

I suppose you could say it's cultural.

"Asperger's Syndrome" provided of identity for many who'd been diagnosed as such. Many people felt confused about themselves before receiving a diagnosis, and getting a certain diagnosis provided a degree of comfort -- a cultural identity they could cling to and feel not quite so lonely.

Also, a core feature of autism is reluctance towards change, so....
Last edited by The Isle of Beithe on Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE ALLIED STATES OF THE ISLE OF BEITHE
MAIN FACTBOOK | SIDE FACTBOOKS | EMBASSY PROGRAMME | NEWS | CURRENT POLITICS
Head of State: President Ehrich W. Kemp | World Location: Australasia | Government Type: Constitutional democratic federation (official), meritocratic authoritarian democracy (unofficial)
Level 7 World Power according this index. Member of INTERPOL. Current RPs: 1. Political Views.

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:14 pm

Indo-Malaysia wrote:So what made it a controversial change then?

"Asperger's Syndrome" provided of identity for many who'd been diagnosed as such. Many people felt confused about themselves before receiving a diagnosis, and getting a certain diagnosis provided a degree of comfort.

Aaah yes, the rituals and routines that are virtually impossible to break...

Gotta love those.

Indo-Malaysia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Indo-Malaysia » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:18 pm

Western Vale Confederacy wrote:

"Asperger's Syndrome" provided of identity for many who'd been diagnosed as such. Many people felt confused about themselves before receiving a diagnosis, and getting a certain diagnosis provided a degree of comfort.

Gotta love those.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I like doing my own thing :)
The Midnight Order guy

The Isle of Beithe
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Isle of Beithe » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:19 pm

Indo-Malaysia wrote:

Gotta love those.

I don't know if it's any consolation that most mental health providers will still recognize the diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome if you received it before the DSM made the change.
Head of State: President Ehrich W. Kemp | World Location: Australasia | Government Type: Constitutional democratic federation (official), meritocratic authoritarian democracy (unofficial)
Level 7 World Power according this index. Member of INTERPOL. Current RPs: 1. Political Views.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:21 pm

Autistic (aspie) here.

Indo-Malaysia wrote:I thought it still is called Aspergers?

My life is a lie.

It is, but a few years ago the American DSM5 merged it into Autistic Spectrum Disorder' which sounds simple enough until you realise that aspergers is/was an identity as well as a diagnosis, not to mention that intentional vagueness is generally a bad thing in science.

The British (European?) medical community still uses Aspergers but that could also go the way of DSM5 soon.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:23 pm

Indo-Malaysia wrote:

Gotta love those.

It still makes people question about how I can eat the same food over and over and over and not get sick of it.

Indo-Malaysia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Indo-Malaysia » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:25 pm

SD_Film Artists wrote:Autistic (aspie) here

Eh Comrade! 8)

SD_Film Artists wrote:The British (European?) medical community still uses Aspergers but that could also go the way of DSM5 soon.

I guess I'm still safe then :p
The Midnight Order guy

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:26 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Traceynia wrote:

I have a question: Can that Autistic obsession occur as in only consistently enjoying a select group of people even if you consider others your friends? Or specific ways to solve problems?

Indo-Malaysia wrote:How come?

Idk, it sounded like "Ass-Burgers" to me, I prefer Autism.

Gotta love those.

Indeed. Worse so when people try to help you and get frustrated because you're so stubborn due to that.

Ironically, I hate being chained down and hate predictability and monotony, so that leaves me very emotionally...confused.

This is basically how autism affects me: I become a massive contradiction.

Indo-Malaysia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Indo-Malaysia » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:30 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
This is basically how autism affects me: I become a massive contradiction.

Same. My personality is not Timid, Calm, Bold, or Reckless:

I'm all at once. It's seriously circumstantial.

Mine changes depending on where I am.

It's funny because I don't even know till someone mentions it.
The Midnight Order guy

The Isle of Beithe
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Isle of Beithe » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:31 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
It still makes people question about how I can eat the same food over and over and over and not get sick of it.

:lol:

Same, I eat the same spicy food or burgers day in and day out, play the same games day in and day out, then when people ask me "You say you're bored, but you only find enjoyment from those despite liking other games you have. Why?" I go:

"Try having Autism and getting bored of a routine you're both addicted to and enjoy. That is the true meaning of purgatory."

I have Asperger's with some ADHD tendencies, so I know the feeling all too well.

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:33 pm

Indo-Malaysia wrote:
Eternal Lotharia wrote:

Same. My personality is not Timid, Calm, Bold, or Reckless:

I'm all at once. It's seriously circumstantial.

Mine changes depending on where I am.

I’m an empathetic soul, yet my voice, facial expression and general demeanour gives out the impression of me being completely uninterested.

The Isle of Beithe
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Isle of Beithe » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:33 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
I have Asperger's with some ADHD tendencies, so I know the feeling all too well.

Indeed. I also have ADHD.

Having both makes life "hard mode". :p

My life is basically a giant Error 404.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:33 pm

Indo-Malaysia wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:Autistic (aspie) here

Eh Comrade! 8)

Eeeeey! 8)

SD_Film Artists wrote:The British (European?) medical community still uses Aspergers but that could also go the way of DSM5 soon.

Depends where you are; it's ironic that supposedly "autistic" Facebook groups can be one of the most hostile places for aspies as some members are quick to jump on the "Asperger was a nazi so aspegers equals nazism!!1" bandwagon, or automatically assume that you're an "aspie supremicist" just because you don't fancy changing the identity that you've had for years. Whereas a neurotypical group just won't give a fuck either way.
Lurking NSG since 2005

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

The Isle of Beithe
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Isle of Beithe » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:35 pm

Indo-Malaysia wrote:Mine changes depending on where I am.

I’m an empathetic soul, yet my voice, facial expression and general demeanour gives out the impression of me being completely uninterested.

I always get the feeling that my inner personality is hidden by autism. It feels like being trapped in the wrong body at times.

The worse is that even people who know me well still get confused by my behaviour.

Indo-Malaysia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Indo-Malaysia » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:36 pm

Indo-Malaysia wrote:Mine changes depending on where I am.

I genuinely want to slap the next person who says 'why don't you smile".
The Midnight Order guy

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:37 pm

Area 6-Z wrote:I created this thread just to see what are NSG's thoughts on autism like how should parents take care of a autistic child? And should schools do a better job at stomping out bullying against autistic kids?

My Opinion- I understand that having a child with autism can be a challenge for some parents..

While the education/parenting of autistic children is certainly an issue, I don't like to focus on it too much as it tends to feed the myth that autism is somehow a 'children's thing' and by extension autistic people who are 18+ are either dead or dying.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005

Indo-Malaysia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Indo-Malaysia » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:40 pm

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Indo-Malaysia wrote:Eh Comrade! 8)

Eeeeey! 8)

Depends where you are; it's ironic that supposedly "autistic" Facebook groups can be one of the most hostile places for aspies as some members are quick to jump on the "Asperger was a nazi so aspegers equals nazism!!1" bandwagon, or automatically assume that you're an "aspie supremicist" just because you don't fancy changing the identity that you've had for years. Whereas a neurotypical group just won't give a fuck either way.

I just prefer to keep it to myself and not flaunt it, though somehow people eventually catch on despite my attempt to act normal (text made that seem exaggerated).
The Midnight Order guy

The Isle of Beithe
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Isle of Beithe » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:43 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Indo-Malaysia wrote:I genuinely want to slap the next person who says 'why don't you smile".

Saaame, I only do that when amused, or when significant physical or emotional affection is involved.

Anyone else have an issue with smiling at inappropriate times because you legit don't know the appropriate emotional response?

It's a good way to make yourself look like an asshole. :roll:

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:44 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:Does anyone else here with Autism also find it hard to accept rp'ing on maps that you dislike because you dislike the borders of the countries?

Makes it a b*tch to RP with.

It’s disgusting how pedantic and petty I can be with details that I dislike..

"Oh, this one computer monitor isn’t aligned at a perfect angle, guess I gotta adjust it!"

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:45 pm

Indo-Malaysia wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:

I just prefer to keep it to myself and not flaunt it, though somehow people eventually catch on despite my attempt to act normal (text made that seem exaggerated).

It's also Facebook groups being a bit politically charged in general. IRL autism groups are generally much more friendly and non-political.
Lurking NSG since 2005

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General