NATION

PASSWORD

Unwashed men are racist.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Woodfiredpizzas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Unwashed men are racist.

Postby Woodfiredpizzas » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:56 pm

So recently a reporter who happened to be black entered a restaurant that had a picture of coal miners at the pub after work, unwashed. Their faces were black from soot and this reporter instantly ignored the context of the photo and decided it was blackface. And racist. And newsworthy.

Friends said, “It’s coal miners at a pub after work.” It was a photograph of coal miners with blackened faces. I asked a Latinx and white woman for their opinion. They said it looked like coal miners at a pub after work. Then they stepped back, frowned and said it’s men in blackface.

So NSG does context matter when it comes to declaring racism?

Personally context is king and this is a very silly reporter.

http://archive.fo/i4lVr

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.was ... f_amp=true
Last edited by Woodfiredpizzas on Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reheated donuts

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:00 pm

Making an issue of someone making an issue of something that might or might not be an issue and the merry-go-round continues..
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Area 6-Z
Attaché

Founded: Jan 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Area 6-Z » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:01 pm

I'm against racism, but come on not everything you have to see has to be racist so in my opinion yes context is important.
Puppet account of Aeritai.
She/Her
Area 6-Z Theme
If my replies are too low effort please do correct me! I'm trying to get back into F7.
My flag is not canon to the Area 6-Z Lore, so PLEASE don't ask about my flag.

Blazelander
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazelander » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:01 pm

I'm very racist but also a very clean man desu, im very hygienic.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:05 pm

Blazelander wrote:I'm very racist but also a very clean man desu, im very hygienic.

You're in line with science..

People who have a greater tendency to turn their nose up at the whiff of urine, sweat and other body odours are more likely to have rightwing authoritarian attitudes, research suggests.

The study also found having a greater disgust for body odours was linked, albeit to a small degree, with support for Donald Trump when he was a presidential candidate.

The team say the findings support the idea that a feeling of disgust might partly underpin social discrimination against others, with the link rooted in a primitive urge to avoid catching diseases from unfamiliar people or environments.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

The Black Party
Minister

Founded: Oct 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Party » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:08 pm

Don't talk to Moderators.
Don't associate with Moderators.
Don't trust Moderators.
Moderators Lie.
"Revolt Against the Mod World"

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:08 pm

A dumb guy found a computer, more at 11.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:08 pm

Context should matter, and the fact that it doesn't anymore is beyond concerning.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:09 pm

Bombadil wrote:Making an issue of someone making an issue of something that might or might not be an issue and the merry-go-round continues..

^This.

The best way to stop non-issues from being taken seriously is NOT to make an NSG thread whining about "ZOMG!!! PC gone mad!!! Look how oversensitive they are!!!" Best way to make a non-issue stay a non-issue is ignoring it.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Greater Carolinas
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Carolinas » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:11 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Blazelander wrote:I'm very racist but also a very clean man desu, im very hygienic.

People who have a greater tendency to turn their nose up at the whiff of urine, sweat and other body odours are more likely to have rightwing authoritarian attitudes, research suggests.

The study also found having a greater disgust for body odours was linked, albeit to a small degree, with support for Donald Trump when he was a presidential candidate.

The team say the findings support the idea that a feeling of disgust might partly underpin social discrimination against others, with the link rooted in a primitive urge to avoid catching diseases from unfamiliar people or environments.

This reminds me of the article about how alpha males and gym bros are more likely to be right wing douchebags lol

Also fuck the coal industry, nuclear power pride world wide.

Woodfiredpizzas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Woodfiredpizzas » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:11 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Bombadil wrote:Making an issue of someone making an issue of something that might or might not be an issue and the merry-go-round continues..

^This.

The best way to stop non-issues from being taken seriously is NOT to make an NSG thread whining about "ZOMG!!! PC gone mad!!! Look how oversensitive they are!!!" Best way to make a non-issue stay a non-issue is ignoring it.

You don’t think that there’s real life consequences for things being labeled racist erroneously?

And discussing what actually constitutes racism should be more clearly defined?
Reheated donuts

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:12 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
^This.

Letting something stand uncontested doesn't make it a non-issue.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:18 pm

Woodfiredpizzas wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
^This.

You don’t think that there’s real life consequences for things being labeled racist erroneously?

See.. let's look at the headline in the Washington Examiner.. 'Everything is racist, coal miner edition'.

Clearly clickbait to make an issue of something already predetermined in their audience minds and meaning the nuance of what the person was saying is lost.. because hey nuance is for idiots.

His point is that generally black people are portrayed in a negative manner in the media and this has actual real world effects of being treated differently just because of your skin colour. Even if it's just coal miners after a hard days work people might not take that in and in their mind revert to images of blackface from movies, posters and more.

Hence he suggests a note with the photo with context.

What he's really talking about is the power of imagery.. but hey. And maybe he's right or wrong, but he's creating a discussion not pandering to the prejudices of his readers. However..

Everything is racist, coal miner edition

That's really aimed at solving anything isn't it.

十年

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:19 pm

Outrage at outrage is wearing me out. Which I guess is the point...
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Blazelander
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazelander » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:20 pm

Bombadil wrote:

I don't like Trump neither bro, he is a ZOG shill, i mean he married his own daugther to a jew

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:21 pm

Woodfiredpizzas wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
^This.

Not when it's just one oversensitive person saying something dumb.

This thread is contributing to that discussion about as much as grabbing a photo of Hitler and arguing over how many hairs are in his mustache contributes to understanding Nazism.
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:23 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Woodfiredpizzas wrote:

Not when it's just one oversensitive person saying something dumb.

This thread is contributing to that discussion about as much as grabbing a photo of Hitler and arguing over how many hairs are in his mustache contributes to understanding Nazism.

130! Is it closest without going over that wins? What do I win? ...wait, is this something I want to win?
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:24 pm

Blazelander wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

I don't like Trump neither bro, he is a ZOG shill, i mean he married his own daugther to a jew

Well I'm sure you'll last long round these parts.

十年

Woodfiredpizzas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Woodfiredpizzas » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:25 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Woodfiredpizzas wrote:

See.. let's look at the headline in the Washington Examiner.. 'Everything is racist, coal miner edition'.

Clearly clickbait to make an issue of something already predetermined in their audience minds and meaning the nuance of what the person was saying is lost.. because hey nuance is for idiots.

His point is that generally black people are portrayed in a negative manner in the media and this has actual real world effects of being treated differently just because of your skin colour. Even if it's just coal miners after a hard days work people might not take that in and in their mind revert to images of blackface from movies, posters and more.

What he's really talking about is the power of imagery.. but hey. And maybe he's right or wrong, but he's creating a discussion not pandering to the prejudices of his readers. However..

That someone thinks that the photo needs a note, is the issue.

That you need to construct a narrative around your identity and link it’s effects to a harmless photo is pandering to his readers.
Reheated donuts

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:26 pm

Oh look, a newspaper has something silly in the opinions page, the right wing press goes into an uproar, and everyone else ignores it, because it's something silly in a opinion column.
This is like getting mad at a medium article.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:27 pm

Woodfiredpizzas wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

It's just, like, his opinion, man.

Blazelander
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazelander » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:27 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Blazelander wrote:

Well I'm sure you'll last long round these parts.

I dindu nuffin ;_; im just a very honest person, ive never liked to hide my true self or opinions

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:28 pm

I miss when this stuff was seasonal.

Woodfiredpizzas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Woodfiredpizzas » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:29 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Woodfiredpizzas wrote:

It's just, like, his opinion, man.

Actually if you read the op or the linked articles you would see it’s several peoples opinions, ah boat?
Reheated donuts

NeoOasis
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby NeoOasis » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:30 pm

Abso-fucking-lutely context is important.
Eternally salty, quite tired, and perhaps looking for a brighter future.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General