NATION

PASSWORD

Stuffed Animals

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

At what age does it become problematic to play with/sleep with stuffed animals?

10 years or older
4%
13 years or older
7%
15 years or older
4%
18 years or older
2%
19 years or older
1%
21 years or older
1%
25 years or older
1%
30 years or older
1%
40 years or older
1%
It is not a problem ever in and of itself (stuffed animal toys for EVERYONE)
79%

Total votes : 195

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:37 pm

Stuffed animals are the domain for those who're 10 and under in my view, generally speaking for the most part. From a purely utilitarian perspective, a stuffed animal asides from taking up a substantial amount of physical space or real estate, can only serve as a pillow or paperweight and there are items out there which serve those purposes far better.

Many years ago I saw this "Vermont Teddybear" commercial early in the morning and that is something deserving of mockery from my perspective. The premise the commercial gave was for some grown man to get his date a giant teddy bear. I see this as a way to massively "strike out" so far as romancing goes. Any woman who's still impressed by stuffed animals far past adolescence or within adulthood, probably ain't worth keeping as far as a lot of men are concerned.

I'd not get my little children any stuffed animals if given the choice to avoid that and point to alternatives. It is something that'll only hold sentimental value for 5 years at best or discarded for the newer/cooler toy from year to year, if not worn out from an infant playing with it.

My concern is that its just too poor of an investment perhaps, unless it is a rare collectable that can be kept in mint condition and sold later on for a much higher price.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:46 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The blAAtschApen wrote:Are there any arnold Schwarzenegger plushies?

i think he's too hardcore for that

There are Terminator T2 plushies from Japan.
Everything is intertwinkled

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:57 am

I liked stuffed animals well into my teens. In a generation where creativity started to become more rare, the plushes gave me the ability to create my own world with my own characters. Those were the days.

I don't still have any, but I'll admit there are nights when it would feel good just to squeeze something. There's nothing wrong with having stuffed animals at any age, as long as it isn't an indicator of an inability/refusal to mature.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:57 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
i think he's too hardcore for that

There are Terminator T2 plushies from Japan.

Oh yeah those!

Hmmm... not my thing

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:59 am

Saiwania wrote:Stuffed animals are the domain for those who're 10 and under in my view, generally speaking for the most part. From a purely utilitarian perspective, a stuffed animal asides from taking up a substantial amount of physical space or real estate, can only serve as a pillow or paperweight and there are items out there which serve those purposes far better.

Many years ago I saw this "Vermont Teddybear" commercial early in the morning and that is something deserving of mockery from my perspective. The premise the commercial gave was for some grown man to get his date a giant teddy bear. I see this as a way to massively "strike out" so far as romancing goes. Any woman who's still impressed by stuffed animals far past adolescence or within adulthood, probably ain't worth keeping as far as a lot of men are concerned.

I'd not get my little children any stuffed animals if given the choice to avoid that and point to alternatives. It is something that'll only hold sentimental value for 5 years at best or discarded for the newer/cooler toy from year to year, if not worn out from an infant playing with it.

My concern is that its just too poor of an investment perhaps, unless it is a rare collectable that can be kept in mint condition and sold later on for a much higher price.

There's such a thing as being too utilitarian. I believe your line of thought on this topic has surpassed that point.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:34 am

Idzequitch wrote:
Saiwania wrote:Stuffed animals are the domain for those who're 10 and under in my view, generally speaking for the most part. From a purely utilitarian perspective, a stuffed animal asides from taking up a substantial amount of physical space or real estate, can only serve as a pillow or paperweight and there are items out there which serve those purposes far better.

There's such a thing as being too utilitarian. I believe your line of thought on this topic has surpassed that point.

I appreciate a very well thought out and calculated response

But for me it comes down to this very simple one factor to consider:

are stuffed animal toys cute?

The answer for me is Yes and that’s where I unequivocally support them.

Some may feel this is a bit too simplistic but meh

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:00 am

Is anyone here in military service?

Would they have a thing against sleeping with stuffed toys for long term deployments in places like the Middle East?

Karu Nadu
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Karu Nadu » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:39 am

Western Vale Confederacy wrote:
Karu Nadu wrote:Quite a logical statement.

We don't deal with logic here on NSG!

That's why it [the logic] so much more valuable.

Aaaaaa
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Aaaaaa » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:50 pm

I have two stuffed animals in my room. One being a polar bear wearing a hockey jersey, and the other a beagle my grandma gave me when I was 6. I never slept with either of them. Both of them sit on my drawer, collecting dust, their only use now is being a projectile in case my cat does something stupid.

I think it starts becoming problematic once you enter high school, at least in public. I remember there being a mentally challenged kid always carrying around a fox plushie. During foods class, some guys used it to play catch, throwing it across the classroom, while he went to the bathroom. When he came back and saw them he started crying. High school was odd.
Last edited by Aaaaaa on Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let thy freedom be a beacon of independence, a conduit of good deeds, and a giving of praise to the Lord."
Click here for the Aaaaaan Conflict Map (Updated January 2024)
=== AAAAAA ===
Progressively ruining NationStates since December 2012™ (Add 4000+ posts)

Aaaaaa (pronounced AH-AY-UH)
Aaaaaan News Ticker (Updated August 8th 2023)
AURNVONS LAUNCH ATTACKS ON SPICUEIL AGAIN • BOMBSHELL REPORT ALLEGES LIEVUE TROOPS DELIBERATELY KILLING CIVILIANS • BEATINNEN SAYS ACTIVE REBELLION STANDS AT "WELL OVER 3000 ARMED MEN & WOMEN" • LIEVUE MEDIA CLAIM CEASEFIRE AGREEMENT IS IN DEVELOPMENT

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:29 pm

Aaaaaa wrote:I have two stuffed animals in my room. One being a polar bear wearing a hockey jersey, and the other a beagle my grandma gave me when I was 6. I never slept with either of them. Both of them sit on my drawer, collecting dust, their only use now is being a projectile in case my cat does something stupid.

I think it starts becoming problematic once you enter high school, at least in public. I remember there being a mentally challenged kid always carrying around a fox plushie. During foods class, some guys used it to play catch, throwing it across the classroom, while he went to the bathroom. When he came back and saw them he started crying. High school was odd.

Seems like the fox wasn't the problem but rather the jerks throwing it and the cowards that didn't challenge them to stop.
Insert trite farewell here

Foxfound
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Foxfound » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:34 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Aaaaaa wrote:I have two stuffed animals in my room. One being a polar bear wearing a hockey jersey, and the other a beagle my grandma gave me when I was 6. I never slept with either of them. Both of them sit on my drawer, collecting dust, their only use now is being a projectile in case my cat does something stupid.

Seems like the fox wasn't the problem but rather the jerks throwing it and the cowards that didn't challenge them to stop.

I'd like to think I would have tried to make them stop. But I guess it's hard to know if I wouldn't just wimp out if I was actually there.
IC Name: Ketorushima
Arctic island inhabited by kitsune and other yōkai.
Set about a decade after the world becomes aware of the supernatural. Details on that will come later.
Slowly trying to rework the factbooks and write for this nation again. Sometimes I worry I'm bad at writing but I think I'm getting better

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:41 pm

Foxfound wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Seems like the fox wasn't the problem but rather the jerks throwing it and the cowards that didn't challenge them to stop.

I'd like to think I would have tried to make them stop. But I guess it's hard to know if I wouldn't just wimp out if I was actually there.

I guess it would depend upon which bothers you more, standing idly by while people do something you know is wrong or potentially getting beat up/humiliated.

Aaaaaa
Diplomat

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Aaaaaa » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:45 pm

Scomagia wrote:

I don't necessarily disagree, but in the end it wasn't something of mine, so I didn't care. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I should mention that that kid was in the previous class, so I doubt the guys tossing it around knew whose it was.
Last edited by Aaaaaa on Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let thy freedom be a beacon of independence, a conduit of good deeds, and a giving of praise to the Lord."
=== AAAAAA ===

AURNVONS LAUNCH ATTACKS ON SPICUEIL AGAIN • BOMBSHELL REPORT ALLEGES LIEVUE TROOPS DELIBERATELY KILLING CIVILIANS • BEATINNEN SAYS ACTIVE REBELLION STANDS AT "WELL OVER 3000 ARMED MEN & WOMEN" • LIEVUE MEDIA CLAIM CEASEFIRE AGREEMENT IS IN DEVELOPMENT

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:51 pm

Aaaaaa wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Seems like the fox wasn't the problem but rather the jerks throwing it and the cowards that didn't challenge them to stop.

I don't necessarily disagree, but in the end it wasn't something of mine, so I didn't care. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I should mention that that kid was in the previous class, so I doubt the guys tossing it around knew whose it was.

That's probably not an ethic that you want to instantiate in yourself. Just saying.

It is a little different if they didn't know. If people around them knew but didn't say anything, well, that doesn't say good things about their character.

Aaaaaa
Diplomat

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Aaaaaa » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:08 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Aaaaaa wrote:I don't necessarily disagree, but in the end it wasn't something of mine, so I didn't care. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's probably not an ethic that you want to instantiate in yourself. Just saying.

It is a little different if they didn't know. If people around them knew but didn't say anything, well, that doesn't say good things about their character.

You got a point, but I mean, it's just a stuffy, man. If it was something that actually broke if you didn't catch it I probably would have spoken up, if someone hadn't already eh.
=== AAAAAA ===

The Chuck
Minister

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Chuck » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:12 pm

Personally when it comes to this subject, I have nothing against having stuffed animals. What I do have an issue with is jerks saying that they can have their stuffed animals at any age while I can't have my darn baby blue blanket!

I advocate for violence every single day. I work in the arms industry.
In-Character Advertisement Space:
The Chuck wholly endorses Wolf Armaments, Lauzanexport CDT, and
Silverport Dockyards Ltd.

"Keep your guns... and buy more guns!" - Kitty Werthmann, Austrian Nazi Regime Survivor
Roof Korea, Best Korea. Hippity Hoppity, 내 재산에서 꺼져.
Pro: Liberty/Freedoms of the Individual, Unrestricted firearms ownership
-Slava-
Ukraini

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:31 pm

Women like cute things and the feeling of having company. Same factor as meatpot dogs.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:13 pm

It is fun to win one at a carnival or fair, especially if you have someone to give it too.

Why not adopt a pet from a shelter, and save its life/
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:23 pm

Oh no!

That's so mean!

The poor kid!

Borovin
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Borovin » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:24 pm

I asked my stuffed bears and they said there's no issue.

Foxfound
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Foxfound » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:37 pm

Borovin wrote:I asked my stuffed bears and they said there's no issue.

Glad you asked them. My foxes say it's always good to get a second opinion on these matters.
IC Name: Ketorushima
Arctic island inhabited by kitsune and other yōkai.
Set about a decade after the world becomes aware of the supernatural. Details on that will come later.
Slowly trying to rework the factbooks and write for this nation again. Sometimes I worry I'm bad at writing but I think I'm getting better

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:01 pm

mine would say the same thing

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:29 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:

The three Smurfs that keep a close watch on me when I am sleeping (and thus vulnerable to otherwordly entities) from the highest bookshelf have also given me their guarantees of well-meaning intentions.

Hatterleigh
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Hatterleigh » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:08 pm

Foxfound wrote:
Hatterleigh wrote:Ok, first of all why do u bring a pokemon plush to school and second of all what grade are u in to still be having conversations about pokemon with passerby? Also, my point still stands.

... Okay, so I once brought it in for comfort because I was nervous about a test and that sort of became a thing for a while. I am not exactly a very strong-willed person. And in this age of memery I'm surprised most of my classmates have gotten past things like pokemon.
The sad part is that the zorua was more popular at school than I was.

You are only digging stuffed animal fans like yourself in a deeper hole by giving me such information. I am sorry that you are weak willed and not popular, I wish for your situation on those fronts to improve.
✦ ✦ ✦ The Free Domain of Hatterleigh ✦ ✦ ✦
National News Network: William Botrum entering last days in office - President-elect Rood preparing or term
Overview of Hatterleigh | William Botrum, Hatterleigh's President | Hatterlese Embassy Program | I don't use NS stats.

Hatterleigh
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Hatterleigh » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:09 pm

Western Vale Confederacy wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

The three Smurfs that keep a close watch on me when I am sleeping (and thus vulnerable to otherwordly entities) from the highest bookshelf have also given me their guarantees of well-meaning intentions.

You would be much better off using a cross. Smurfs are weaker than you, they cannot protect you from anything. Jesus on the other hand, branches from an infinite hand.
✦ ✦ ✦ The Free Domain of Hatterleigh ✦ ✦ ✦
National News Network: William Botrum entering last days in office - President-elect Rood preparing or term
Overview of Hatterleigh | William Botrum, Hatterleigh's President | Hatterlese Embassy Program | I don't use NS stats.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General