NATION

PASSWORD

TET: All Under Heaven

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:58 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:
New haven america wrote:Most of the stuff my parents got was actually pretty cheap (They were both practically pro-chefs, so they knew how to cook on a budget), mostly drank water, barely went clothes shopping and even if I did it was at Goodwill or Arc or something like that (IIRC, the last time I went clothes shopping was ~6 years ago), school books were provided by the school, all health stuff was covered by Medicare or ACA (Or I just didn't g if we did't have either), never been to the dentist (Actually, I think might've gone once in 20 years), don't have enough money to get a car or insurance, and I'm actually basically getting paid to go to college.

Raising children is much more costly than it was in the 1950s & 1960s when I was brought up. My dad was a salesman, mom a part time RN. A doctor's office had a doctor and a secretary/receptionist. Same with the dentist and the bills were fair. We lived just inside the Baltimore City limits then in a brick 3 bdr duplex. A doctor lived at the end of the block 3 doors down. A pharmacist and wife next door. A lawyer, whose kid was a pal of mine, in the next block. A dentist across the street and up on the other corner whose practice was downstairs in his duplex. They all lived a middle class life. They all seemed happy enough.

Since then there has been a terrific money grab by those professionals that replaced them, for various reasons not all being greed. These people (mostly my generation to 10 -20 years younger) now live in the swanky parts of suburbia in the lap of luxury compared to the middle class which can't keep up any more. This is not better for society as a whole. American society is much less cohesive now than when I was growing up. It is not a positive change for the whole and kids lose out today more than back in the day.

BTW, I am very glad to see you get to attend college. The car deal isn't as important as that. But definitely take care of those neglected teeth. The good news is there is no need to fear dental procedures as much now vs. back then, except for the cost (of course!).

TBH, I'm probably just gonna end up in a dead-end minimum wage job for the rest of my life and die early and alone... but thanks for the support.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:10 pm

New haven america wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:
Raising children is much more costly than it was in the 1950s & 1960s when I was brought up. My dad was a salesman, mom a part time RN. A doctor's office had a doctor and a secretary/receptionist. Same with the dentist and the bills were fair. We lived just inside the Baltimore City limits then in a brick 3 bdr duplex. A doctor lived at the end of the block 3 doors down. A pharmacist and wife next door. A lawyer, whose kid was a pal of mine, in the next block. A dentist across the street and up on the other corner whose practice was downstairs in his duplex. They all lived a middle class life. They all seemed happy enough.

Since then there has been a terrific money grab by those professionals that replaced them, for various reasons not all being greed. These people (mostly my generation to 10 -20 years younger) now live in the swanky parts of suburbia in the lap of luxury compared to the middle class which can't keep up any more. This is not better for society as a whole. American society is much less cohesive now than when I was growing up. It is not a positive change for the whole and kids lose out today more than back in the day.

BTW, I am very glad to see you get to attend college. The car deal isn't as important as that. But definitely take care of those neglected teeth. The good news is there is no need to fear dental procedures as much now vs. back then, except for the cost (of course!).

TBH, I'm probably just gonna end up in a dead-end minimum wage job for the rest of my life and die early and alone... but thanks for the support.

It's getting really hard to know when I'm replying to fatalistic humor or a genuine concern.

It makes my job of posting with "lol mode" or with advice/concern really hard.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:15 pm

New haven america wrote:TBH, I'm probably just gonna end up in a dead-end minimum wage job for the rest of my life and die early and alone... but thanks for the support.

It doesn't have to be this way, if you have a resume of some sort and not just a blank sheet like myself. If you're good with math, accounting is a relatively good and solid career path, assuming that there is no major disruption in that field. My cousin became a CPA and is already making $80,000+ a year and in time, can peak to as much as $200,000 a year. He has status, women, security, everything correlated with success.

Accounting however, required a 4 year degree and passing this rather difficult state exam with $1,000+ in various fees. So he had to of been dedicated to get to where he got to. It is only slightly less of a hassle than someone trying to become a Dental Hygienist. 2 years of getting an Associate of Arts (which is basically a bunch of liberal claptrap) before even being allowed to learn anything Medical.

If you don't secure a residency if you try getting into a medical field, you're screwed. You have the medical training but no job but all of this student debt. Usually this isn't as much of a problem, because there is supposedly a shortage of medical professionals because the training is too difficult and expensive for anyone who doesn't have a full ride scholarship.

The Dental Hygienist within my family from what I've been told, is getting paid peanuts compared to the Accountant family member. The Accountant path even required less work and expense if those two paths are directly compared side by side. So it is unclear as to what actually "pays off" in the long term, unless you do lots of due diligence ahead of time.
Last edited by Saiwania on Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 10, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Jerzylvania » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:24 pm

New haven america wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:

Believing in some better future (i.e. much more positive) is a healthy no cost choice that I highly recommend. Some folks on this forum know I get a lot of inspiration from modern music. There is an album by U2 called All that you can't leave behind. The album's title is derived from a line in the fourth song "Walk On". I find it very moving. A couple lines in that song has relevance here, if not the whole song... "...You're packing a suitcase for a place none of us has been. A place that has to be believed to be seen....".

Personally, I found much solace in this song when my father was dying in 2001-2002, just after this album was released. I needed to believe he was going to be safe. Since his death he has told me in dreams that he is safe. Very important for me.

In a similar way, you see your future as a dead end. The good life is not an easy thing to project but please, embrace a vision of a good future. It's a way to love yourself and all those around you. Even if you don't even have a clue as to how it could possibly happen. However, in the realm of possibility it can, so give yourself that chance. That policy can take you all the way through life and possibly beyond. If you're familiar with the tune you may already know what I mean. :)

If not, here's a link... Walk On
Last edited by Jerzylvania on Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Donald Trump has no clue as to what "insuring the domestic tranquility" means

The Baltimore Orioles are shocking the baseball world!

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:40 pm

Western Vale Confederacy wrote:
NeuPolska wrote:Oh well that's fairly easy

With the right razor it's not a problem

There is no particular need for turning it into the Saharan Desert, so either of the three settings (3,5, and 7 millimetres) will do.

What a conversation

So it's preference. My preference is the hilly areas should be rather bare because hills with lots of scattered sparse trees are not a good look, but the plains areas can be kept simply trimmed like a lawn

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted
Kar-Esseria wrote:Who is that and are they female because if not then they can go make love to their hand.
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Go home Polska wins NS.
United Mongol Hordes wrote:Polska isn't exactly the nicest guy in the world
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Hurd you miss the point more than Polska misses Poland.
Rhodesialund wrote:when you have Charlie ten feet away or something operating operationally.
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Gayla is living in 1985 but these guys are already in 1916

Dresderstan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2016

Postby Dresderstan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:42 pm

Am I the only one getting nostalgic about the early/first half of the 2010s as a bit of a golden age?

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:42 pm

NeuPolska wrote:
There is no particular need for turning it into the Saharan Desert, so either of the three settings (3,5, and 7 millimetres) will do.

What a conversation

So it's preference. My preference is the hilly areas should be rather bare because hills with lots of scattered sparse trees are not a good look, but the plains areas can be kept simply trimmed like a lawn

Yeah, that'll do, it suits just about any woman or man that way.

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:43 pm

Valrifell wrote:
New haven america wrote:TBH, I'm probably just gonna end up in a dead-end minimum wage job for the rest of my life and die early and alone... but thanks for the support.

It's getting really hard to know when I'm replying to fatalistic humor or a genuine concern.

It makes my job of posting with "lol mode" or with advice/concern really hard.

Hey, I got the latter covered. Old people are good for this stuff.

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:43 pm

Dresderstan wrote:Am I the only one getting nostalgic about the early/first half of the 2010s as a bit of a golden age?

Probably premature.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:49 pm

Dresderstan wrote:Am I the only one getting nostalgic about the early/first half of the 2010s as a bit of a golden age?

The early 2010s objectively weren't good, because the world was still recovering from the financial crisis of 2008 and Barrack Obama was still in the White House making a mess of Healthcare.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:50 pm

NeuPolska wrote:Oh well that's fairly easy

With the right razor it's not a problem

I'm personally fine with most anything, as long as it's not the Amazon Rainforest.

Though, if that can't happen, then as the Wilderness Explorers motto goes: The wilderness must be explored!
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Dresderstan
Negotiator

Postby Dresderstan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:50 pm

Saiwania wrote:

The early 2010s objectively weren't good, because the world was still recovering from the financial crisis of 2008 and Barrack Obama was still in the White House making a mess of Healthcare.

I meant outside the political world, damn.

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:53 pm

New haven america wrote:

I'm personally fine with most anything, as long as it's not the Amazon Rainforest.

Though, if that can't happen, then as the Wilderness Explorers motto goes: The wilderness must be explored!

Eating the black grass is a bit odd, though.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:57 pm

Probably/probably not.

The early 2010's sucked for me personally, but I know some people who really enjoyed that time period.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:43 pm

Dresderstan wrote:
Saiwania wrote:

I meant outside the political world, damn.

What big cultural artefact do you think the early 2010's gave us I'm now wondering?

My early 2010's were fairly shitty though.

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:51 pm

Heloin wrote:
Dresderstan wrote:I meant outside the political world, damn.

What big cultural artefact do you think the early 2010's gave us I'm now wondering?

So were mine!

Dresderstan
Negotiator

Postby Dresderstan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:56 pm

Heloin wrote:
Dresderstan wrote:I meant outside the political world, damn.

When I said I was getting nostalgic about the first half of the decade I was in fact talking about the music and how I would call some of them modern classics. I would also add that onto some TV shows and movies as well.

I get it everyone had shitty times in there life, and I will admit, so did I back then, but I prefer not to draw on about the negative aspects, instead trying to look at the positives.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:04 pm

Dresderstan wrote:
Heloin wrote:What big cultural artefact do you think the early 2010's gave us I'm now wondering?

When I said I was getting nostalgic about the first half of the decade I was in fact talking about the music and how I would call some of them modern classics. I would also add that onto some TV shows and movies as well.

Well I guess what I was getting at was what are some of those modern classics.

I get it everyone had shitty times in there life, and I will admit, so did I back then, but I prefer not to draw on about the negative aspects, instead trying to look at the positives.

The early 2010s will always be for me the time of "What the hell you mean you don't play rugby here?"

That and finding out Americans in the South don't like being called yankees.

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:05 pm

Dresderstan wrote:
Heloin wrote:What big cultural artefact do you think the early 2010's gave us I'm now wondering?

*winks*

Dresderstan
Negotiator

Postby Dresderstan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:06 pm

Heloin wrote:
Dresderstan wrote:When I said I was getting nostalgic about the first half of the decade I was in fact talking about the music and how I would call some of them modern classics. I would also add that onto some TV shows and movies as well.

Well I guess what I was getting at was what are some of those modern classics.

The early 2010s will always be for me the time of "What the hell you mean you don't play rugby here?"

I mean, do you really want me to list/rattle off a bunch of early 2010s hits that many including myself would consider classics?

Well of course they don't like being called yankees, they're from the south after all.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:10 pm

Dresderstan wrote:
Heloin wrote:Well I guess what I was getting at was what are some of those modern classics.

I mean, do you really want me to list/rattle off a bunch of early 2010s hits that many including myself would consider classics?

Well of course they don't like being called yankees, they're from the south after all.

I can't think of any off the top of my head so I wouldn't mind I guess.

I hadn't know that until I moved to America. Non-Americans call Americans yanks. Americans call Americans from the northeast yanks. Those from the northeast call people from New York state yanks. People from New York State call people from New York City yanks. Using this logic I think there is only one person on earth everyone calls a yankee.

Dresderstan
Negotiator

Postby Dresderstan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:22 pm

Heloin wrote:
Dresderstan wrote:I mean, do you really want me to list/rattle off a bunch of early 2010s hits that many including myself would consider classics?

I can't think of any off the top of my head so I wouldn't mind I guess.

I hadn't know that until I moved to America. Non-Americans call Americans yanks. Americans call Americans from the northeast yanks. Those from the northeast call people from New York state yanks. People from New York State call people from New York City yanks. Using this logic I think there is only one person on earth everyone calls a yankee.

Tik Tok- Ke$ha
Need You Now- Lady Antebellum
California Gurls- Katy Perry/Snoop Doog
Dynamite- Taio Cruz
Love The Way You Lie- Eminem/Rihanna
Bad Romance- Lady Gaga
DJ Got us Fallin' In Love- Usher/Pitbull
Take It Off- Ke$ha
Airplanes B.o.B/Hayley Williams
We R Who We R- Ke$ha
All I Do Is Win- DJ Khaled/T-Pain/Ludacris/Snoop Dogg/Rick Ross
Rolling In The Deep- Adele
Teenage Dream- Katy Perry
Party Rock Anthem- LMFAO/Lauren Bennett/GoonRock
Firework- Katy Perry
Fuck You- Cee Lo Green
On The Floor- Jennifer Lopez/Pitbull
Pumped Up Kicks- Foster The People
Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F)- Katy Perry
E.T.- Katy Perry/Kanye West
Only Girl (In The World)- Rihanna
We Found Love- Rihanna/Calvin Harris
Someone Like You- Adele
Set Fire To The Rain- Adele
Blow- Ke$ha
Somebody That I Used To Know- Goyte/Kimbra
Call Me Maybe- Carly Rae Jepsen
Gangnam Style- PSY
Lights- Ellie Goulding
Some Nights- fun.
We Are Young- fun./Janelle Monae
Wide Awake- Katy Perry
Titanium- David Guetta/Sia
N****s In Paris
Moves Like Jagger- Maroon 5/Christina Aguilera
Rumor Has It- Adele
Diamonds- Rihanna

I mean, I'm from the northeast so....

Dresderstan
Negotiator

Postby Dresderstan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:28 pm

And I just scratched my middle finger while trying to open a case of kool-aid and now it burns.

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:58 pm

Dresderstan wrote:
Heloin wrote:I can't think of any off the top of my head so I wouldn't mind I guess.

Tik Tok- Ke$ha
Need You Now- Lady Antebellum
California Gurls- Katy Perry/Snoop Doog
Dynamite- Taio Cruz
Love The Way You Lie- Eminem/Rihanna
Bad Romance- Lady Gaga
DJ Got us Fallin' In Love- Usher/Pitbull
Take It Off- Ke$ha
Airplanes B.o.B/Hayley Williams
We R Who We R- Ke$ha
All I Do Is Win- DJ Khaled/T-Pain/Ludacris/Snoop Dogg/Rick Ross
Rolling In The Deep- Adele
Teenage Dream- Katy Perry
Party Rock Anthem- LMFAO/Lauren Bennett/GoonRock
Firework- Katy Perry
Fuck You- Cee Lo Green
On The Floor- Jennifer Lopez/Pitbull
Pumped Up Kicks- Foster The People
Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F)- Katy Perry
E.T.- Katy Perry/Kanye West
Only Girl (In The World)- Rihanna
We Found Love- Rihanna/Calvin Harris
Someone Like You- Adele
Set Fire To The Rain- Adele
Blow- Ke$ha
Somebody That I Used To Know- Goyte/Kimbra
Call Me Maybe- Carly Rae Jepsen
Gangnam Style- PSY
Lights- Ellie Goulding
Some Nights- fun.
We Are Young- fun./Janelle Monae
Wide Awake- Katy Perry
Titanium- David Guetta/Sia
N****s In Paris
Moves Like Jagger- Maroon 5/Christina Aguilera
Rumor Has It- Adele
Diamonds- Rihanna

I mean, I'm from the northeast so....

Damn...now I feel old...
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Historian, of sorts.

Effortposts can be found here!

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:11 pm

I was not expecting this much fucking action at work's start, Jesus.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General