NATION

PASSWORD

Vince Cable for Chancellor!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: Vince Cable for Chancellor!

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:45 pm

Chumblywumbly wrote:
greed and death wrote:If your going to have the bureaucracy reminding/telling the Chancellor when and where to sign things wouldn't it be far better to simply elect a member of the bureaucracy to the post ?

You mean, 'if your going to have the bureaucracy doing bureaucratic works wouldn't it be far better to simply elect a member of the bureaucracy to the post?'

And, no. Elected politicians are meant to be more than bureaucrats.

(Though an argument could be made that modern politicians are little more than bureaucrats... but that's a different issue.)

Elected politicians are supposed to be more then bureaucrats. If this guy is kinda forgetful it is all to easy for a bureaucrat to hide a decision in a pile of papers, then take it to him with only an hour or two left and say Mr. Chancellor you forgot this. You need to make a decision by close of business, here is what I recommend, and don't worry I wont mention any of this slip up to the public.

A leader needs attention to detail and organizational skills, If he lacks those he will do better in a more theory producing role.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:06 am

Eofaerwic wrote:My hope is that when the conservatives win the next election (unfortunately that seems to be a given at the moment) their margin will be small enough that they have to either form a coalition or work particularly closely with the Lib Dems and offer him said position.

I mean frankly who do the conservatives have who could do the job, George Osborne? :rofl: :rofl:

John Redwood.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Molested Sock
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Molested Sock » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:20 am

North Wiedna wrote:Vince Cable is expected to have better reception than Frank Satellite.

Equal to American Chuck Fruit as former trade envoy?
100% 80% of the time.

Eofaerwic
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Eofaerwic » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:22 am

Yootopia wrote:
Chumblywumbly wrote:
Yootopia wrote:The manipulation of budgets.

I'm meaning more, does power lie in this bureaucracy, or outside of it?

Your answer would seem to indicate the former, but I'm not sure of your meaning.

It lies inside it, and most of the power of our political class is restricted by what the civil service will let it do.

So Yes, Minister has taught us :p. Damn I can't find the clip on YouTube where Sir Humphrey explains the role of ministers in the decision making process (ie none)
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.38
Grave_n_idle: That's much better, that's not creepy at all. Nothing creepy about dropping a hook in someone's brain soup.
Mad hatters in jeans:Why is there a whirlpool inside your head?

Eofaerwic
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Eofaerwic » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:27 am

greed and death wrote:
Abel Zealand wrote:One of the few men who understand the causes of the recession and he has the solutions. Do you think he would make a good chancellor? I evidently do.

Because a guy who can't even pay his electric bills on time can fix the economy.

I fail to see how the two are related. When you're busy and working long-hours it can be easy for things to get pushed back. Receiving reminders is hardly a big deal. I have on occasion forgotten to pay a bill until I got the reminder, I have not however ever forgotten things that are vital to my work. Shocking politicians are also human, would you believe. I personally do not see that as impairing his ability to do the job of chancellor.
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.38
Grave_n_idle: That's much better, that's not creepy at all. Nothing creepy about dropping a hook in someone's brain soup.
Mad hatters in jeans:Why is there a whirlpool inside your head?

Chumblywumbly
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Chumblywumbly » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:41 am

greed and death wrote:If this guy is kinda forgetful it is all to easy for a bureaucrat to hide a decision in a pile of papers, then take it to him with only an hour or two left and say Mr. Chancellor you forgot this. You need to make a decision by close of business, here is what I recommend, and don't worry I wont mention any of this slip up to the public.

They could also steal the Treasury keys and fly off on a magic unicorn, if we're going to use random hypotheticals to critique politicians.
I suffer, I labour, I dream, I enjoy, I think; and, in a word, when my last hour strikes, I shall have lived.

Previous

Return to General