NATION

PASSWORD

A Hypothetical Re Aqua Man

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which Side Do You Back?

Ocean Master ("THE TIME FOR TALK IS OVER!")
41%
Aqua Man ("...perhapSH jay can be... eh-JOOH-gayted")
59%

Total votes : 32

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:47 pm

Risottia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:Which side do you support

I support the surface dwellers. Their "inferior technology" is so superior that even by using it while meaning no harm to Atlanteans they're already destroying Atlantis. Like this. Casually. Without even knowing it exists. While the Atlanteans cannot even protect themselves from a bit of pollution.
Just imagine what the surface dwellers could actually DO if they knew there were an enemy city bent on killing them all. Like, dunno, dropping five-hundred megaton-range nukes from orbit on Atlantis and turning the seafloor into trinitite.

The Atlanteans are xenos. Purge them.

Uh... watch this.

Long story short: Not very fucking much. Hell, humanity wasn't even their main target in the story.
Last edited by New haven america on Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:50 pm

Ifreann wrote:
Risottia wrote:I support the surface dwellers. Their "inferior technology" is so superior that even by using it while meaning no harm to Atlanteans they're already destroying Atlantis. Like this. Casually. Without even knowing it exists. While the Atlanteans cannot even protect themselves from a bit of pollution.
Just imagine what the surface dwellers could actually DO if they knew there were an enemy city bent on killing them all. Like, dunno, dropping five-hundred megaton-range nukes from orbit on Atlantis and turning the seafloor into trinitite.

The Atlanteans are xenos. Purge them.

How are they xenos? They live on Earth.

Ackshuallly, in most of the comics they're alien colonists that came to Earth usually shortly after the KT Event and continued to evolve alongside humans.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:26 pm

Option 3: We take Atlantis, and push it somewhere else.

Cetacea wrote:why does Aqaman sound like Sean Connery in my head?

I don't know why, but because you said that and I read it before the OP I've been reading everything in this thread in his voice.

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:44 pm

I like both options with my own adjustments:

Teach the surface world how to live in an environmentally friendly way that won't affect my home. If they need new tech to do this, give them just enough to do so, nothing more, nothing less. If the surface world refuses, declare war jihad-style, not the way option 1 says.
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:45 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:I like both options with my own adjustments:

Teach the surface world how to live in an environmentally friendly way that won't affect my home. If they need new tech to do this, give them just enough to do so, nothing more, nothing less. If the surface world refuses, declare war jihad-style, not the way option 1 says.

I don't think Atlanteans follow Islam.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:46 pm

Olthar wrote:

They follow homoeroticism, I made sure of that.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:50 pm

Olthar wrote:

In my scenario they do ;)

Besides, if I'm the military leader or whatever, I can make them right how I wish, and I'd make them right according to Shari'ah.
Last edited by El-Amin Caliphate on Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:52 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Olthar wrote:I don't think Atlanteans follow Islam.

They follow homoeroticism, I made sure of that.

Atlanteans all look like hunky chippendales.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:01 pm

Heloin wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:They follow homoeroticism, I made sure of that.

Atlanteans all look like hunky chippendales.

You just know that there are gay bathhouses in Atlantis. I dunno how exactly that would work underwater, but...¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:02 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Olthar wrote:I don't think Atlanteans follow Islam.

In my scenario they do ;)

Besides, if I'm the military leader or whatever, I can make them right how I wish, and I'd make them right according to Shari'ah.

How are you going to do that when you don't even know what Islam is, being that you were born and raised in Atlantis which sunk long before the religion was invented?

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:04 pm

Olthar wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:In my scenario they do ;)

How are you going to do that when you don't even know what Islam is, being that you were born and raised in Atlantis which sunk long before the religion was invented?

Maybe a ship carrying a whole bunch of Korans sank and settled near Atlantis?

Wave on, wave on

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:07 pm

Olthar wrote:How are you going to do that when you don't even know what Islam is, being that you were born and raised in Atlantis which sunk long before the religion was invented?

But water tends to destroy books. Do they make copies of the Koran chiseled on stone tablets?

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:10 pm

Olthar wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Maybe a ship carrying a whole bunch of Korans sank and settled near Atlantis?

But water tends to destroy books. Do they make copies of the Koran chiseled on stone tablets?

It does, but it takes a bit of time, enough time for an Atlantean scholar to make sense of it.

Wave on, wave on

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:12 pm

Heloin wrote:Atlanteans all look like hunky chippendales.

You just know that there are gay bathhouses in Atlantis. I dunno how exactly that would work underwater, but...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Underwater lakes. The underwater gay bathhouses are going to make a splash :p

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:13 pm

Olthar wrote:But water tends to destroy books. Do they make copies of the Koran chiseled on stone tablets?

It does, but it takes a bit of time, enough time for an Atlantean scholar to make sense of it.

Perhaps, but what if they just see it as some sort of bad fiction? They don't have the context telling then that it's supposed to be taken as truth, and they're unfamiliar with the concept of holy books being that such things didn't exist in antiquity.

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:20 pm

Olthar wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:In my scenario they do ;)

1: Correction: it wasn't finalised then. More on that in the Islamic Discussion Thread if you wanna learn about that.
2: Aquaman was part mermaid part human and lived on the surface. So if that's me, I'd probs have a familiarity with Al-Islam (and if I was adopted into a Muslim family that's even more connection and a plus)
3: Good gosh man have an imagination! :lol2:
Olthar wrote:How are you going to do that when you don't even know what Islam is, being that you were born and raised in Atlantis which sunk long before the religion was invented?

Yes
Olthar wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Maybe a ship carrying a whole bunch of Korans sank and settled near Atlantis?

There's actually a paper that can be made from rocks and you can write on it. I saw it on Outrageous Acts of Science iirc.
Olthar wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:It does, but it takes a bit of time, enough time for an Atlantean scholar to make sense of it.

Perhaps, but what if they just see it as some sort of bad fiction? They don't have the context telling then that it's supposed to be taken as truth, and they're unfamiliar with the concept of holy books being that such things didn't exist in antiquity.

I'm pretty sure religious texts did exist in antiquity (depending on how far you're going back). You're also assuming that every Atlantian wouldn't believe it.
Last edited by El-Amin Caliphate on Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:27 pm

Olthar wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:It does, but it takes a bit of time, enough time for an Atlantean scholar to make sense of it.

Highly probable. One of the risks with a text standing on its own and devoid of any qualifying context outside of it is misinterpretation.

Heloin wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:You just know that there are gay bathhouses in Atlantis. I dunno how exactly that would work underwater, but...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Underwater lakes. The underwater gay bathhouses are going to make a splash :p

I suppose there are thermal vents as well that can provide heat.

Wave on, wave on

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:31 pm

Olthar wrote:Perhaps, but what if they just see it as some sort of bad fiction? They don't have the context telling then that it's supposed to be taken as truth, and they're unfamiliar with the concept of holy books being that such things didn't exist in antiquity.

Highly probable. One of the risks with a text standing on its own and devoid of any qualifying context outside of it is misinterpretation.

Well if a sunken ship had Qur'ans on it it'd probs have aHaadith as well. Unless they were on 2 different ships and the one with the aHaadith survived, then they're beat :?
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:42 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:

1: Correction: it wasn't finalised then. More on that in the Islamic Discussion Thread if you wanna learn about that.
2: Aquaman was part mermaid part human and lived on the surface. So if that's me, I'd probs have a familiarity with Al-Islam (and if I was adopted into a Muslim family that's even more connection and a plus)
3: Good gosh man have an imagination! :lol2:

1: If you try telling me that Islam has been around for 9,600 years, I will laugh right in your face.
2: But you're not Aquaman. You're a regular Atlantean citizen.
3: I am not a man.

Olthar wrote:Perhaps, but what if they just see it as some sort of bad fiction? They don't have the context telling then that it's supposed to be taken as truth, and they're unfamiliar with the concept of holy books being that such things didn't exist in antiquity.

I'm pretty sure religious texts did exist in antiquity (depending on how far you're going back). You're also assuming that every Atlantian wouldn't believe it.

Nope. Religion being a thing for the commoner is a relatively recent thing. Back in the old days, religion was dominated by exclusive cults who performed their rituals in absolute secrecy lest a rival cult figure out how they were gaining the favor of the gods. Nothing was written down because text could be stolen, and the knowledge of the rituals was kept to the highest of ranks within the cults. The concept of a unified text being intentionally disseminated as far as possible emerged with the advent of monotheism.

The Grims
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grims » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:53 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Highly probable. One of the risks with a text standing on its own and devoid of any qualifying context outside of it is misinterpretation.

Well if a sunken ship had Qur'ans on it it'd probs have aHaadith as well. Unless they were on 2 different ships and the one with the aHaadith survived, then they're beat :?

Does Islam not deem.humans higher than all other life on earth?
As a Lantean you would be like an angel. Why would you respect the human animals so much ?

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:57 pm

Olthar wrote:2: But you're not Aquaman. You're a regular Atlantean citizen.

Oh ok. Still tho, what I said is what I'd do in this scenario.

Also, is there a poll? Seems there is. An "other" option should be in the poll.
Last edited by El-Amin Caliphate on Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:59 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Olthar wrote:2: But you're not Aquaman. You're a regular Atlantean citizen.

Oh ok. Still tho, what I said is what I'd do in this scenario.

Also, is there a poll?

You'd try to preach a religion you don't even know exists to people who have no reason to believe it? Okay, whatever floats your boat. :?

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:16 pm

The Grims wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Well if a sunken ship had Qur'ans on it it'd probs have aHaadith as well. Unless they were on 2 different ships and the one with the aHaadith survived, then they're beat :?

Does Islam not deem.humans higher than all other life on earth?
As a Lantean you would be like an angel. Why would you respect the human animals so much ?

There's a really good video for just this question: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Slt45rz-OUY
Specifically the part where the Shaykh says "we being preferred over many creation in the universe doesn't mean all creation". But even if we aren't using the ayah like that, or even if we aren't using this ayah at all, here's a fact about the Atlantians that I think you missed:
In "Aquaman", the Atlantians are humans, just evolved to live underwater. In the backstory, the Atlantians used to live on land until their city/country got destroyed and sunk. From there they had to rebuild and evolved to breath and live on the ocean floor. So they are still human, which makes them equal to us. They just look different is all.
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:18 pm

Olthar wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Oh ok. Still tho, what I said is what I'd do in this scenario.

Also, is there a poll?

You'd try to preach a religion you don't even know exists to people who have no reason to believe it?

1: I wasn't preaching, I was giving hypotheticals, aka using my imagination like I told you to do
2: I'm pretty sure Al-Islam exists
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:30 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Olthar wrote:You'd try to preach a religion you don't even know exists to people who have no reason to believe it?

1: I wasn't preaching, I was giving hypotheticals, aka using my imagination like I told you to do
2: I'm pretty sure Al-Islam exists

1: Hypotheticals that are irrelevant to the one IM presented and which this thread is about.
2: Not as far as the isolationist Atlanteans know of which you are one in the hypothetical this thread is about.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General