NATION

PASSWORD

A Hypothetical Re Aqua Man

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Which Side Do You Back?

Ocean Master ("THE TIME FOR TALK IS OVER!")
12
40%
Aqua Man ("...perhapSH jay can be... eh-JOOH-gayted")
18
60%
 
Total votes : 30

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21532
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Father Knows Best State

A Hypothetical Re Aqua Man

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:29 pm

Please consider the following hypothetical:

This is heavily based on the DC movie but the facts are not the same:

The city of Atlantis is underwater and its real; it is populated by underwater superhumans ruled by a king and possesses technology far more advanced that anything Surface Dwellers (the people on the surface of Earth) have.

You are one of these superhuman Atlanteans in this hypothetical.

For thousands of years the Atlanteans have pursued a policy of Non-Contact with Surface Dwellers. However, in light of increasing maritime pollution, overfishing, global warming, and other environmental disasters caused by the Surface Dwellers... there are increasing calls that something be done about it. If the environmental destruction continues, then eventually even Atlantis will be doomed.

The Surface Dwellers do not know it, but in fact, they are about 2-3 decades from causing complete planetary destruction.

At this critical juncture in history there is a civil war for control of the Atlantean throne. The two contenders represent two different ideologies with how to deal with the Surface Dweller Environmental Problem.

Pay close attention because the Discussion Point will be: Assuming you MUST support one of these two factions vying for the throne, who do you back and why?

Contender 1: Ocean Master

Ocean Master believes that war with the Surface is the only way to ensure the environmental safety of Atlantis and the planet.

"THE TIME FOR TALK IS OVER"

Ocean Master will use Atlantis' overwhelmingly superior technology to wage war against the Surface, killing millions-billions of humans if necessary. Despite the Surface Dwellers being more numerous, Atlantis will win due to overwhelmingly superior technology (in fact, it is expected that only a dozen Atlanteans will be killed for every billion Surface casualty if even that). At the war's conclusion, the Surface will be forced to follow very harsh (but necessary) pro-environmental peace terms like a ban on commercial fishing, extremely strict emissions reduction targets, and materials restrictions. This will save the planet.

Contender 2: Aqua Man

Aqua Man agrees with Ocean Master that the Surface Dwellers cannot by themselves be entrusted to advert environmental catastrophe in time. However, he wants to take a more liberal approach than his adversary. His slogan is:

"J-eese SH-urface 'Wellers are a PRIMITIVE Ray-sHHHHHHH.... but perhapSH jay can be... eh-JOOH-gayted" (translation: "these surface dwellers are a primitive race... but perhaps they can be... educated")

Aquaman suggests that instead of waging war against the Surface, Atlantis instead make contact with the Surface, educate the Surface about the true depravity of their actions, and then share Atlantis' advanced technology with the Surface. After which, once the Surface becomes "enlightened" they can be peacefully guided towards being stewards rather the foes of the planet. There is however one major risk with Aqua Man's plan: once the Surface Dwellers have some of Atlantis' technology, they may be able to use it to catch up to Atlantis or in some way become a much greater threat to Atlantis. While Atlantis has superior technology, it can be reverse engineered with ease. If a war then breaks out, the Surface might win. Obviously another risk is that if the humans DON'T listen or work together in time, in 2-3 decades we are all dead.

...

Which side do you support (assuming that these are the only two factions and you cannot stay neutral)? Why? Provide your justification.

Ocean Master. It is time for war. The time for talk is over. Aqua Man's plan sounds too risky, the Surface Dwellers may turn against us.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Reincarnation and Successor of God Kefka +~4500 posts


Art Thread (http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic ... #p19679163)
[/b]

User avatar
Olthar
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 59254
Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Corporate Police State

Postby Olthar » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:38 pm

I'll vote for option 2 because how can you say no to Jason Momoa? He threatens to turn me straight.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

User avatar
Cetacea
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5639
Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Cetacea » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:00 am

why does Aqaman sound like Sean Connery in my head?

anyway because I'm an Atlantean I vote Ocean Master go for it,
I'm going to kick back in the south pacific with some coconut toddy, mussels, seaweed and mercury loaded Tuna steaks

User avatar
Wunderstrafanstalt
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 146
Founded: Feb 19, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Wunderstrafanstalt » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:39 am

Considering my responsibility will be for the Atlanteans, I'm going the Ocean Master route. But it's not like I'm going to massacre half of the world's poor or something - being technologically advanced, I can definitely limit casualty and then establish a and proclaim myself the benevolent emperor of the new world order.

CFR WUNDERSTRAFANSTALT - LAIRAN UNION
"Ad astra et ultra" - "To the stars and beyond"

14.0 | MT | F17 | $LFD | Kurzgesagt | Leaders

CommonerThink - Helisday, 2019-1-12-14: Blind of left and right, doctor removed the wrong kidney
Disaster relief donation | Acknowledge IRL me as emperor of the world; this nation in general and this in particular will be the result

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21532
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:37 am

Cetacea wrote:why does Aqaman sound like Sean Connery in my head?


:)
Reincarnation and Successor of God Kefka +~4500 posts


Art Thread (http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic ... #p19679163)
[/b]

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 124988
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ifreann » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:34 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:"J-eese SH-urface 'Wellers are a PRIMITIVE Ray-sHHHHHHH.... but perhapSH jay can be... eh-JOOH-gayted" (translation: "these surface dwellers are a primitive race... but perhaps they can be... educated")

Man, what do you have against Jason Momoa?
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Banter For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Snark That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Sarcasm.

User avatar
The Grims
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 464
Founded: Antiquity
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby The Grims » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:42 am

Option 1 of course. Thousands of years of human history have already shown that humans will immediately try to slaughter us Aquas when given the weapons.

User avatar
The New California Republic
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11089
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Anarchy

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:56 am

Seduce Aquaman and educate him in the ways of humanity, or at least the homoerotic ways of humanity. I might need to get used to the smell of fish though...
Last edited by Friedrich Nietzsche on Thu Jan 03, 1889 13:05 pm, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the complete victory over Caesar's Legion, and the pacification and annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.
Current President of The NCR: Aaron Kimball.
Current NCR Ambassador to The World Assembly: Colonel James Hsu, NCR Army (Ret.)
.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Risottia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 51217
Founded: Sep 05, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Risottia » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:52 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:Which side do you support

I support the surface dwellers. Their "inferior technology" is so superior that even by using it while meaning no harm to Atlanteans they're already destroying Atlantis. Like this. Casually. Without even knowing it exists. While the Atlanteans cannot even protect themselves from a bit of pollution.
Just imagine what the surface dwellers could actually DO if they knew there were an enemy city bent on killing them all. Like, dunno, dropping five-hundred megaton-range nukes from orbit on Atlantis and turning the seafloor into trinitite.

The Atlanteans are xenos. Purge them.
Statanist through and through.
Evilutionist Atheist Crusadjihadist. "Darwinu Akhbar! Dawkins vult!"
Founder of the NSG Peace Prize Committee.
I'm back.

User avatar
Risottia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 51217
Founded: Sep 05, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Risottia » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:57 am

Ifreann wrote:Man, what do you have against Jason Momoa?

A VA-111 for when he's underwater and an aerosol spray for when he's on dry or wet land.
Statanist through and through.
Evilutionist Atheist Crusadjihadist. "Darwinu Akhbar! Dawkins vult!"
Founder of the NSG Peace Prize Committee.
I'm back.

User avatar
The New California Republic
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11089
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Anarchy

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:59 am

Risottia wrote:Just imagine what the surface dwellers could actually DO if they knew there were an enemy city bent on killing them all. Like, dunno, dropping five-hundred megaton-range nukes from orbit on Atlantis and turning the seafloor into trinitite.

NATO also has nuclear depth charges in its inventory for killing submarines. Throw a few of those down there for good measure.
Last edited by Friedrich Nietzsche on Thu Jan 03, 1889 13:05 pm, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the complete victory over Caesar's Legion, and the pacification and annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.
Current President of The NCR: Aaron Kimball.
Current NCR Ambassador to The World Assembly: Colonel James Hsu, NCR Army (Ret.)
.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 124988
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ifreann » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:02 am

Risottia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:Which side do you support

I support the surface dwellers. Their "inferior technology" is so superior that even by using it while meaning no harm to Atlanteans they're already destroying Atlantis. Like this. Casually. Without even knowing it exists. While the Atlanteans cannot even protect themselves from a bit of pollution.
Just imagine what the surface dwellers could actually DO if they knew there were an enemy city bent on killing them all. Like, dunno, dropping five-hundred megaton-range nukes from orbit on Atlantis and turning the seafloor into trinitite.

The Atlanteans are xenos. Purge them.

How are they xenos? They live on Earth.
Last edited by Ifreann on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Banter For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Snark That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Sarcasm.

User avatar
The Galactic Liberal Democracy
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 442
Founded: Jun 13, 2018
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Galactic Liberal Democracy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:06 am

Aqua man saved a Russian military submarine from Americans.
Economic Left/Right: -3.0
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.03
NOT STORMTROOPERS
Cossack Khanate wrote:Honestly spam is the only way this got to like 400 posts. This shall forever be known as World War Sh*t: Newark Aggression. Now if I see one more troop deployed, I will call on the force of all the Hindu gods to reverse time and wipe your race of the face of the planet. Cease.

The Black Party wrote:(TBP kamikaze's into all 99999999999 nukes before they hit our territory because we just have that many pilots ready to die for dah blak regime, we also counter-attack into your nation with our entire population of 45 million because this RP allows it.)

User avatar
The New California Republic
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11089
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Anarchy

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:22 am

The Galactic Liberal Democracy wrote:Aqua man saved a Russian military submarine from Americans.

All the more reason to break out the nuclear depth charges.
Last edited by Friedrich Nietzsche on Thu Jan 03, 1889 13:05 pm, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the complete victory over Caesar's Legion, and the pacification and annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.
Current President of The NCR: Aaron Kimball.
Current NCR Ambassador to The World Assembly: Colonel James Hsu, NCR Army (Ret.)
.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 124988
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ifreann » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:29 am

The New California Republic wrote:
The Galactic Liberal Democracy wrote:Aqua man saved a Russian military submarine from Americans.

All the more reason to break out the nuclear depth charges.

Preventing war? This means war.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Banter For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Snark That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Sarcasm.

User avatar
The New California Republic
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11089
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Anarchy

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:31 am

Ifreann wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:All the more reason to break out the nuclear depth charges.

Preventing war? This means war.

Don't worry, I don't really mean it, Aquaman is my beau after all...
Last edited by Friedrich Nietzsche on Thu Jan 03, 1889 13:05 pm, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the complete victory over Caesar's Legion, and the pacification and annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.
Current President of The NCR: Aaron Kimball.
Current NCR Ambassador to The World Assembly: Colonel James Hsu, NCR Army (Ret.)
.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Risottia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 51217
Founded: Sep 05, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Risottia » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:32 am

Ifreann wrote:How are they xenos? They live on Earth.

They live on the wrong part of the planet, are different from Homo Sapiens, and oppose the Empire of Man.

...

Heretic.


The Galactic Liberal Democracy wrote:Aqua man saved a Russian military submarine from Americans.

Capitalist lies. Russian soobs don't need no Aqvaman.
Last edited by Risottia on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Statanist through and through.
Evilutionist Atheist Crusadjihadist. "Darwinu Akhbar! Dawkins vult!"
Founder of the NSG Peace Prize Committee.
I'm back.

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 124988
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ifreann » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:33 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Preventing war? This means war.

Don't worry, I don't really mean it, Aquaman is my beau after all...

I wonder if Atlantis has gay marriage. You could be the Prince Philip of Atlantis, but younger and less embarrassing.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Banter For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Snark That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Sarcasm.

User avatar
Holy Tedalonia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7782
Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:37 am

Ifreann wrote:
Risottia wrote:I support the surface dwellers. Their "inferior technology" is so superior that even by using it while meaning no harm to Atlanteans they're already destroying Atlantis. Like this. Casually. Without even knowing it exists. While the Atlanteans cannot even protect themselves from a bit of pollution.
Just imagine what the surface dwellers could actually DO if they knew there were an enemy city bent on killing them all. Like, dunno, dropping five-hundred megaton-range nukes from orbit on Atlantis and turning the seafloor into trinitite.

The Atlanteans are xenos. Purge them.

How are they xenos? They live on Earth.

Xenos = alien

Alien = Foreigner

Trespassing foreigner = Illegal

Wait, there illegal aliens... I don’t think purging them is a problem ;)
Otho Tedgustus President Esteemed of Holy Tedalonia.
FACTBOOK
Status based off index:
Tier: 7
Level: 0
Type: 6
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
NS Stats don't matter | warning leader does not represent everyone's attitude | Massive Update in progress, gist is a succession of power is about to happen. Q&A about Holy Tedalonia and more
Name: Ted
Ideology: Capitalism
Political Compass: Social Libertarian for some reason
Race: Vampire
Political Side: Right
Favorite Senator: Ted Cruz (Ted's have to help out Ted's)
Status: Healthy and as strong as a starved ox
Religion: a Pious Christian (although that doesn't stop me from RPing against good every now and then)
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

User avatar
The Grims
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 464
Founded: Antiquity
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby The Grims » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:37 am

Risottia wrote:
Ifreann wrote:How are they xenos? They live on Earth.

They live on the wrong part of the planet, are different from Homo Sapiens, and oppose the Empire of Man.

...

Heretic.


But what if they are hot ?

User avatar
Risottia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 51217
Founded: Sep 05, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Risottia » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:45 am

The Grims wrote:
Risottia wrote:They live on the wrong part of the planet, are different from Homo Sapiens, and oppose the Empire of Man.

...

Heretic.


But what if they are hot ?

Once it's been heated to 5000 K, everything's hot.
Statanist through and through.
Evilutionist Atheist Crusadjihadist. "Darwinu Akhbar! Dawkins vult!"
Founder of the NSG Peace Prize Committee.
I'm back.

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 124988
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ifreann » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:53 am

Wait, is the villain in the Aquaman movie Ocean Master? I thought it was Black Manta...
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Banter For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Snark That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Sarcasm.

User avatar
Ithreland
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 123
Founded: Jul 11, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ithreland » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:58 am

Ifreann wrote:Wait, is the villain in the Aquaman movie Ocean Master? I thought it was Black Manta...


Bit of both. Ocean Master gives Black Manta some tech.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination
A 15.83 civilization, according to this index.
My 8values score.
"Advertisements read like science journal articles complete with extensive references."
"Ithreland has one of the largest offshore wind farms in the world."
"The entire retail industry has been replaced by online delivery services."
"The government is a proud sponsor of the National Gaming Association."
"Gay couples have to travel to Brancaland to find a church that will actually let them wed."
"The Great Pyramid of Orcance can be seen from miles away."

User avatar
The Galactic Liberal Democracy
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 442
Founded: Jun 13, 2018
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Galactic Liberal Democracy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:58 am

Risottia wrote:
The Galactic Liberal Democracy wrote:Aqua man saved a Russian military submarine from Americans.

Capitalist lies. Russian soobs don't need no Aqvaman.

Okay, I’ll fix it. Aqua man attempted to assist the cornered Russians from being killed, but they didn’t need the help.
Economic Left/Right: -3.0
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.03
NOT STORMTROOPERS
Cossack Khanate wrote:Honestly spam is the only way this got to like 400 posts. This shall forever be known as World War Sh*t: Newark Aggression. Now if I see one more troop deployed, I will call on the force of all the Hindu gods to reverse time and wipe your race of the face of the planet. Cease.

The Black Party wrote:(TBP kamikaze's into all 99999999999 nukes before they hit our territory because we just have that many pilots ready to die for dah blak regime, we also counter-attack into your nation with our entire population of 45 million because this RP allows it.)

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 124988
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ifreann » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:00 am

Ithreland wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Wait, is the villain in the Aquaman movie Ocean Master? I thought it was Black Manta...


Bit of both. Ocean Master gives Black Manta some tech.

Ah, cool.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Banter For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Snark That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Sarcasm.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dresderstan, Western Vale Confederacy, Yahoo [Bot]

Advertisement

Remove ads