NATION

PASSWORD

Mankind's Deadliest Biological Weapon

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:05 pm

Page wrote:You just know that a cat took a shit on the OP's bed one time in their life...

One can only hope.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Grimmsland
Envoy

Founded: Dec 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Grimmsland » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:08 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Page wrote:You just know that a cat took a shit on the OP's bed one time in their life...

One can only hope.

:lol2: man that would be awful.. but would prefer a poo than piss. argh.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:13 pm

Scomagia wrote:Wouldn't this problem be partially mitigated if people stopped feeling it was acceptable to just let your cat roam wherever it pleases? I mean, people don't do the same with dogs.

Actually a lot of people do do it with dogs. Which is worse, because cats will only attack people in self defense.

But still I agree. I have two cats. But they only go outside on a leash.

If you have a farm the cat needs to roam free. Otherwise keep them indoors, in a fenced area or on a leash. Same should be done with dogs. Admittedly cats are harder to keep in a fenced yard because they can easily defeat most fences. But “invisible” fences still work, and cat resistant fencing is an option.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:22 pm

Grimmsland wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:One can only hope.

:lol2: man that would be awful.. but would prefer a poo than piss. argh.

Pee tends to legitimately ruin furniture if you don't catch it in time, especially cat pee which will make it never smell the same way again.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:38 pm

Novus America wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Wouldn't this problem be partially mitigated if people stopped feeling it was acceptable to just let your cat roam wherever it pleases? I mean, people don't do the same with dogs.

Actually a lot of people do do it with dogs. Which is worse, because cats will only attack people in self defense.

If you have a farm the cat needs to roam free. Otherwise keep them indoors, in a fenced area or on a leash. Same should be done with dogs. Admittedly cats are harder to keep in a fenced yard because they can easily defeat most fences. But “invisible” fences still work, and cat resistant fencing is an option.

It's generally illegal to let your dogs roam at large. That's what I was getting at.
Insert trite farewell here

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:15 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Novus America wrote:

It's generally illegal to let your dogs roam at large. That's what I was getting at.

Fair enough. I agree both dogs and cats should be restricted from just randomly roaming in most cases, though dogs are far more dangerous to people.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:39 pm

I wasn't aware Gareth Morgan was on Nationstates.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:44 pm

Joohan wrote:What do y'all think should be done about the biological menace this is the cat?

I love cats. They're cute, affectionate, little murderers.

Where I live, cats are one of the main predators of native birds, and therefore I'm in favour of having a ban on cat ownership around protected areas to give native birds a chance to expand beyond these areas and establish more stable populations.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:25 pm

-Ocelot- wrote:After countless white supremacist, pro-fascist and other politically extremist posts, NS forums swoop to a new low: advocating for the mass exterminations of cats.

What brave and radical opinions will this haven of free speech bring a few months from now? Dog cooking and eating?

Been there, done that, as well as a thread on exterminating all dogs.
Cannibalism

I've never seen it, but it might have happened.
Human slavery?

Oh, that gets advocated for all the time. We've had threads on it.
The possibilities are endless.

Welcome to NSG.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:31 pm

I would be in favor of restrictions on outdoor cats and public funding for catching strays for spaying/neutering, but cat death squads are unnecessary and barbaric.
Last edited by Olthar on Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:54 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Why do it by half measures? .50 BMG. Even more painless.

No, a 57 mm recoiless would probably be even quicker and more painless.

Just go ahead a shell the general area with 45cm naval guns
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:55 pm

Novus America wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Why do it by half measures? .50 BMG. Even more painless.

.50 BMG? Pfft.
Use this instead.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Cr ... ear_device)

A real recoiless gun. Non of that pansy crap.

I’d rather not have Irradiated zombie cats
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:12 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Novus America wrote:
.50 BMG? Pfft.
Use this instead.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Cr ... ear_device)

A real recoiless gun. Non of that pansy crap.

I’d rather not have Irradiated zombie cats

You are no fun... :(
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:20 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:No, a 57 mm recoiless would probably be even quicker and more painless.

Just go ahead a shell the general area with 45cm naval guns

Chairman meow will lead us

https://longlivethekitty.com/about-chairman-meow/

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:25 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Just go ahead a shell the general area with 45cm naval guns

Chairman Meow's bunker caught a Paveway right through the cat flap. Sorry.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:26 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

Chairman Meow's bunker caught a Paveway right through the cat flap. Sorry.

Ha! He has 9 lives, ..... well I guess 8 now, the revolution continues.!

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:40 pm

Nsg should stop takeing drugs and go to bed

I love doggos and cats

Mass extermantion of cats is stupid

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:04 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Nsg should stop takeing drugs and go to bed

I love doggos and cats

Mass extermantion of cats is stupid

Well not all cats. It could be done with feral cats if there were targeted policies towards dealing with the feral cat problem, especially in places like Australia where they're growing big enough that people are confusing them for panthers.

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:26 pm

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:32 pm

I stared at that for a full minute waiting for something to happen before I realized that it wasn't a gif.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:38 pm

Joohan wrote:

It may come as a shock to most people, but cats are on par with, and in some areas even more dangerous than, humans in terms of environmental destruction. Cats are, but definition, an invasive species everywhere they are present, with the exception of Egypt ( their original ecosystem ). To give a scope of just how destructive cats are to our ecosystem, here are some facts: In 2013, it was estimated that cats killed between 1.3 - 4 billion birds annually, as well as between 6.3-22.3 billion mammals annually ( With the most conservative of estimates, cats kill more birds each year then every hunter in the world combined ); cats have been confirmed to have killed at least 33 species, and are a primary threat to another 36 endangered species; cats are known to spread disease, notably the Toxoplasma gondii parasite, which has killed not only millions of animals but even has begun to affect humans as well; It's not simply feral cats who are to blame for these rash of killings either, with even pets reported to be killing around 2 animals per week, with feral cats killing even more.

It's not a popular opinion, on account of the affection with which the general population views cats with, but it may prove necessary to actively start regulating the cat population so as to mitigate their effect upon the environment ( particularly feral cats ). TNR, trap-neuter-return, is being used by a number of communities in order to mitigate their feral cat population via sterilization. TNR has hadmixed results, with many researchers expressing doubts as to it's effectiveness on account of needing to sterilize around 75% of the population in order for any program to be effective. Some have suggested mandates to keep felines inside during night time, fines for abandoning cats, the legalization of eating cats, legal protection against suits for cats killed on private property, legalization of drowning kittens, legalization of cat traps, and even active campaigns to exterminate feral cats.

What do y'all think should be done about the biological menace this is the cat?

Personally, I am all for feline death squads. Cats are an incredibly invasive species everywhere they go, and their effect upon the local ecosystem needs to be curved by limiting their numbers and when they can go outdoors. I am all for the proactive measures listed above.

what about dogs?

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:47 pm

Olthar wrote:

I stared at that for a full minute waiting for something to happen before I realized that it wasn't a gif.

That would be my cat, who likes to perch himself on the edge of the bathtub.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:48 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Joohan wrote:

It may come as a shock to most people, but cats are on par with, and in some areas even more dangerous than, humans in terms of environmental destruction. Cats are, but definition, an invasive species everywhere they are present, with the exception of Egypt ( their original ecosystem ). To give a scope of just how destructive cats are to our ecosystem, here are some facts: In 2013, it was estimated that cats killed between 1.3 - 4 billion birds annually, as well as between 6.3-22.3 billion mammals annually ( With the most conservative of estimates, cats kill more birds each year then every hunter in the world combined ); cats have been confirmed to have killed at least 33 species, and are a primary threat to another 36 endangered species; cats are known to spread disease, notably the Toxoplasma gondii parasite, which has killed not only millions of animals but even has begun to affect humans as well; It's not simply feral cats who are to blame for these rash of killings either, with even pets reported to be killing around 2 animals per week, with feral cats killing even more.

It's not a popular opinion, on account of the affection with which the general population views cats with, but it may prove necessary to actively start regulating the cat population so as to mitigate their effect upon the environment ( particularly feral cats ). TNR, trap-neuter-return, is being used by a number of communities in order to mitigate their feral cat population via sterilization. TNR has hadmixed results, with many researchers expressing doubts as to it's effectiveness on account of needing to sterilize around 75% of the population in order for any program to be effective. Some have suggested mandates to keep felines inside during night time, fines for abandoning cats, the legalization of eating cats, legal protection against suits for cats killed on private property, legalization of drowning kittens, legalization of cat traps, and even active campaigns to exterminate feral cats.

What do y'all think should be done about the biological menace this is the cat?

Personally, I am all for feline death squads. Cats are an incredibly invasive species everywhere they go, and their effect upon the local ecosystem needs to be curved by limiting their numbers and when they can go outdoors. I am all for the proactive measures listed above.

what about dogs?

We will be dumping all dogs and cats in your immediate vicinity
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:55 pm

thats purrfect . but this hairball scheme is only scratching the surface and hasnt got snowballs chance of getting within a whisker of succeeding.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:01 pm

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General