NATION

PASSWORD

Why do/don't you believe in a higher power? (Any HP)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 07, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:27 pm

New Legland wrote:this is so sad

Mourn not that it is gone, but rejoice that it was here.
Godulan Puppet #2, RPing as technologically advanced tribal society founded by mongols and vikings (and later with multiple other Asian and Native American cultures) motivated by an intrinsic devotion to the spirit of competition. They'll walk softly, talk softly, and make soothing noises as they stab you in the back and take your stuff... unless you're another Caleshan, whereupon they'll only stab you in the back figuratively!

Used NS stats: Population. That’s it. Anything else not stated in the factbooks is not used.

Intro RP: Gravity Ships and Garden Snips (involved tribes: Plainsrider, Hawkeye, Wavecrasher)
Current RP: A Rock Out of Place (involved tribes: Night Wolf, Deep Kraken, Starwalker)

The Grims
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grims » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:37 pm

The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:
New Legland wrote:this is so sad

Why ? This thread showed us that a significant part of NSG has very shallow reasons to believe what they believe or not believe, very little knowledge about their own belief system, almost zero about others and neglible desire to learn.

And this is NSG. A forum only accessible to people who had enough education to write in English and use a computer, so about the top 20 percent of the worlds population education wise.

It is simply sad :(
Though it did lead to some selfreflection, since I was just as guilty.

Thuzbekistan
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Thuzbekistan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:41 pm

The Grims wrote:

Why ? This thread showed us that a significant part of NSG has very shallow reasons to believe what they believe or not believe, very little knowledge about their own belief system, almost zero about others and neglible desire to learn.

And this is NSG. A forum only accessible to people who had enough education to write in English and use a computer, so about the top 20 percent of the worlds population education wise.

I mean, do you need complex reasons to believe or not believe something? Religion is mostly emotional, so "I feel him interacting with me" is just as valid to that person as "there is no evidence to convince me" is to an atheist. One can reinforce their beliefs with complex reasoning, but, generally, people are predisposed to belief or non belief based on their own experiences.
Proud Member of The Western Isles, the Best RP region on NS.
An RP I'm Proud of: Orsandian Civil War
An INTJ, -A/-T

Economic Left/Right: -5.0
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.72

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:59 pm

Thuzbekistan wrote:
The Grims wrote:

I mean, do you need complex reasons to believe or not believe something? Religion is mostly emotional, so "I feel him interacting with me" is just as valid to that person as "there is no evidence to convince me" is to an atheist. One can reinforce their beliefs with complex reasoning, but, generally, people are predisposed to belief or non belief based on their own experiences.

What do you think I was trying to say this whole time?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:12 pm

--EDITED-OUT--
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:13 pm

The Grims wrote:

The only thing that this thread did is prove that I'm a total and utter moron

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:51 pm

Thuzbekistan wrote:
The Grims wrote:

I've always held that beliefs are an obligate condition. Generally speaking if your reasons are good enough, I will helplessly believe you. Even if I don't like what you're saying, or want it to be true.

Doing otherwise feels dishonest.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Thuzbekistan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Thuzbekistan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:22 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
The Grims wrote:

You're not a moron by any means. I think you bit off more than you could chew taking on a mostly liberal, irreligious community on your own. You were trying to make points made in philosophical arguments without really knowing those arguments. If you do some reading and research, you'll be in a much better position to debate this again.

Debate.org is a great place to read good debates and learn arguing skills as well. You aren't dumb, and dont think that. Read, learn, and come back for round 2. The internet will be just as toxic as always :)
An INTJ, -A/-T

Thuzbekistan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Thuzbekistan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:23 am

Thuzbekistan wrote:I mean, do you need complex reasons to believe or not believe something? Religion is mostly emotional, so "I feel him interacting with me" is just as valid to that person as "there is no evidence to convince me" is to an atheist. One can reinforce their beliefs with complex reasoning, but, generally, people are predisposed to belief or non belief based on their own experiences.

What do you think I was trying to say this whole time?

A belief being a valid reason to that person is not a good case of ammo to bring to a debate, though.
An INTJ, -A/-T

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:16 am

Thuzbekistan wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:The only thing that this thread did is prove that I'm a total and utter moron

You're not a moron by any means. I think you bit off more than you could chew taking on a mostly liberal, irreligious community on your own. You were trying to make points made in philosophical arguments without really knowing those arguments. If you do some reading and research, you'll be in a much better position to debate this again.

Debate.org is a great place to read good debates and learn arguing skills as well. You aren't dumb, and dont think that. Read, learn, and come back for round 2. The internet will be just as toxic as always :)

Ironically, when I Googeld "debate.org" God and ironically, they had similar arguments to me

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:03 am

Thuzbekistan wrote:You're not a moron by any means. I think you bit off more than you could chew taking on a mostly liberal, irreligious community on your own. You were trying to make points made in philosophical arguments without really knowing those arguments. If you do some reading and research, you'll be in a much better position to debate this again.

Ironically, when I Googeld "debate.org" God and ironically, they had similar arguments to me

Christian apologetics have not really changed for hundreds of years.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:08 am

Page wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Ironically, when I Googeld "debate.org" God and ironically, they had similar arguments to me

What's wrong with being an appologist anyway? At least I can math better than them. According to the website, 50% said "yes" and 51% said "no"
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:15 am

Page wrote:

What's wrong with being an appologist anyway? At least I can math better than them. According to the website, 50% said "yes" and 51% said "no"

Broadly, the issue is that those arguments were bad several hundred years ago, and haven't improved with age.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:19 am

Page wrote:

I'm just letting you know that you've been given dull, rusty tools to work with. It doesn't matter how intelligent one is or how eloquently one can speak because when you take up Christian apologetics, you have no choice but to use centuries' old arguments that have had holes poked in them for centuries, and those holes have never been filled.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:19 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:(Image)

Broadly, the issue is that those arguments were bad several hundred years ago, and haven't improved with age.

No. They just got louder :p kinda like the SJWs, but without theaccusations of discrimination
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:22 am

The Grims wrote:

20% is 1 in 5, that's a pretty big chunch...

Thuzbekistan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Thuzbekistan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:35 am

Thuzbekistan wrote:You're not a moron by any means. I think you bit off more than you could chew taking on a mostly liberal, irreligious community on your own. You were trying to make points made in philosophical arguments without really knowing those arguments. If you do some reading and research, you'll be in a much better position to debate this again.

Yip. But they also provide sources as well. You should read those sources.
An INTJ, -A/-T

Korhal IVV
Senator

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:06 am

The Grims wrote:

And that apologists and skeptics will always be arguing over the same things over and over again. XD Based from experience, neither side is willing to concede, and probably never will until the Second Coming or the heat death of the universe, depending on who is actually correct.

As a side note, my own religious experience (or should I say, spiritual experience) was lacking in emotion and “I feel these and that”. It would be along the lines of, “You know what, this all makes sense.” when I reverted from being irreligous.

And now, my teachers in theology are stressing that Christian living is not really about emotion, after all. It is ironic given that most of the faithful are emotionally based... which reflects on how ignorant many people are on their own faith.
ABTH Music Education ~ AB Journalism ~ RPer ~ Keyboard Warrior ~ Futurist ~ INTJ

Economic Left/Right: -0.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
Supports: Christianity, economic development, democracy, common sense, vaccines, space colonization, and health programs
Against: Adding 100 genders, Gay marriage in a church, heresy, Nazism, abortion for no good reason, anti-vaxxers, SJW liberals, and indecency
This nation does reflect my real-life beliefs.
My vocabulary is stranger than a Tzeentchian sorceror. Bare with me.

"Whatever a person may be like, we must still love them because we love God." ~ John Calvin

Wunderstrafanstalt
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Wunderstrafanstalt » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:46 am

Nah, it's more like "you don't change their mind, they change their mind". I've been secretly planting rationalist seeds by showing my religious friends/teachers atheist sites, presenting them as "evil", and then (as they got real triggered) encourage them to find ways to 'debunk' the arguments scientifically. Way more efficient to insert information than a peasant's debate.

CFR WUNDERSTRAFANSTALT - LAIRAN UNION
"Ad astra et ultra" - "To the stars and beyond"

14.0 | MT | F17 | $LFD | Kurzgesagt | IC Flag | Flag Patron: Bill Gates

Voiced - Artemsday, 12019-5-7: PT party pledged vote for Kalvar's Green Initiative | PETRAL donated Ł1.1 mil to PT | PT voted against Green Initiative.
Your average lowkey maritime Southeast Asian on NS | C e n t r i s t social liberal | Muslim (secretly atheist, don't tell mom) | RK for President 2024, Musk for Planetary Emperor 2100
Just refer to me as "WS" instead of that long-ass name

Korhal IVV
Senator

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:55 am

Wunderstrafanstalt wrote:Nah, it's more like "you don't change their mind, they change their mind". I've been secretly planting rationalist seeds by showing my religious friends/teachers atheist sites, presenting them as "evil", and then (as they got real triggered) encourage them to find ways to 'debunk' the arguments scientifically. Way more efficient to insert information than a peasant's debate.

... it is completely possible to be a rationalist and logical Christian, though. And I believe it has already been stated so many times that one cannot physically measure a metaphysical being.
Last edited by Korhal IVV on Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
ABTH Music Education ~ AB Journalism ~ RPer ~ Keyboard Warrior ~ Futurist ~ INTJ

Economic Left/Right: -0.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
Supports: Christianity, economic development, democracy, common sense, vaccines, space colonization, and health programs
Against: Adding 100 genders, Gay marriage in a church, heresy, Nazism, abortion for no good reason, anti-vaxxers, SJW liberals, and indecency
This nation does reflect my real-life beliefs.
My vocabulary is stranger than a Tzeentchian sorceror. Bare with me.

"Whatever a person may be like, we must still love them because we love God." ~ John Calvin

Wunderstrafanstalt
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Wunderstrafanstalt » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:15 am

Korhal IVV wrote:
Wunderstrafanstalt wrote:Nah, it's more like "you don't change their mind, they change their mind". I've been secretly planting rationalist seeds by showing my religious friends/teachers atheist sites, presenting them as "evil", and then (as they got real triggered) encourage them to find ways to 'debunk' the arguments scientifically. Way more efficient to insert information than a peasant's debate.

... it is completely possible to be a rationalist and logical Christian, though. And I believe it has already been stated so many times that one cannot physically measure a metaphysical being.

Rationalist ≠ atheist, but getting rid of dogmatic culture is one of the big big progress the world had experienced. Good for you if you're Christian because of (reasons), instead of because Papa also is.

Voiced - Artemsday, 12019-5-7: PT party pledged vote for Kalvar's Green Initiative | PETRAL donated Ł1.1 mil to PT | PT voted against Green Initiative.
Your average lowkey maritime Southeast Asian on NS | C e n t r i s t social liberal | Muslim (secretly atheist, don't tell mom) | RK for President 2024, Musk for Planetary Emperor 2100

Lyassa and Nairoa
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 29, 2006
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lyassa and Nairoa » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:19 am

I do believe in a higher power. The source of all matter and energy and order.
If there's a clock, there must be a clock maker.
And It, for lack of a better denonym, must therefore be all powerful.
The fact that we (read "science") don't know the Creator doesn't mean that It doesn't. Science tells us that there is a cause for every consequence.
Well, go back in the history of the universe...and you'll find it. The All and Nothing before everything appeared.

Alvecia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:20 am

Lyassa and Nairoa wrote:If there's a clock, there must be a clock maker.

Following logically, if there is a clock maker, then there must be a clock maker maker.
Science tells us that there is a cause for every consequence.

In the universe. Laws of the universe don't necessarily apply before the universe was
Last edited by Alvecia on Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wunderstrafanstalt
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Wunderstrafanstalt » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:31 am

Lyassa and Nairoa wrote:The fact that we (read "science") don't know the Creator doesn't mean that It doesn't. Science tells us that there is a cause for every consequence.
Well, go back in the history of the universe...and you'll find it. The All and Nothing before everything appeared.

So... "I don't know therefore God"? Oh - and says you. The statement "everything has cause and come from one thing" is debatable, because no comprehensive evidence has been put forward to prove that.

Alvecia wrote:
Lyassa and Nairoa wrote:If there's a clock, there must be a clock maker.

Following logically, if there is a clock maker, then there must be a clock maker maker.

And before everyone started spamming "clock maker maker", I'll end it with "clock maker¹²¹³"

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:36 am

Korhal IVV wrote:

No. It is possible to only suspend your rationality and logic when it comes to Christianity, and to be rationalist and logical in all other contexts.

But you can't get to Christianity by way of rationality and logic, and Christianity makes a large number of assertions that aren't supported by rationality or logic. Like the existence of "metaphysical beings."
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General