NATION

PASSWORD

Why do/don't you believe in a higher power? (Any HP)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:05 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Which one? I don't remember every post I replied to

This.

Ignoring the fact that I called a liar, yea sure, why not?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:06 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:The irony is that he totally gets the Bible is difficult... when he wants to. Any time you bring up a passage that even hints at something he doesn't like "that's a mistranslation."

No I said that the mistranslated parts are irrelevant details.

Just because you dismiss them as irrelevant details doesn't mean that they are.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:08 pm

Dogmeat wrote:The irony is that he totally gets the Bible is difficult... when he wants to. Any time you bring up a passage that even hints at something he doesn't like "that's a mistranslation."

No I said that the mistranslated parts are irrelevant details. For example, Noah's flood might not have actually lasted 40 days, but that's irrelevant to the main story, which is love. I feel like I've discussed this before. If not, I'd be happy to make a post about it

The story of the flood is not about 'love', you cannot attach love to genocide.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:08 pm

The New California Republic wrote:This.

Ignoring the fact that I called a liar, yea sure, why not?

You called an author a liar, on the basis of absolutely nothing. Right. That is a non-answer. Glad that has been made clear.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:09 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:No I said that the mistranslated parts are irrelevant details.

Just because you dismiss them as irrelevant details doesn't mean that they are.

Why is the chronology of a flood relevant to loving one's neighbour? Why does it matter if the stars or the Earth was created first, when it comes to loving thy neighbour. I don't get it
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:10 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Ignoring the fact that I called a liar, yea sure, why not?

You called an author a liar, on the basis of absolutely nothing. Right. That is a non-answer. Glad that has been made clear.

He might be referring to me calling out that he lied.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:10 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:No I said that the mistranslated parts are irrelevant details. For example, Noah's flood might not have actually lasted 40 days, but that's irrelevant to the main story, which is love. I feel like I've discussed this before. If not, I'd be happy to make a post about it

The story of the flood is not about 'love', you cannot attach love to genocide.

I mean, who wouldn't think that a story about killing off almost the entirety of the Earth's populace is about love?

/s

Wave on, wave on

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:10 pm

No I said that the mistranslated parts are irrelevant details. For example, Noah's flood might not have actually lasted 40 days, but that's irrelevant to the main story, which is love. I feel like I've discussed this before. If not, I'd be happy to make a post about it

Why would the divinely inspired word of God give an erroneous number of days?
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:11 pm

Dogmeat wrote:
Thuzbekistan wrote:Because those books were written an extremely long time ago by men. Interpretation and translation issues aside, you can hardly trust what men who supposedly had divine revelation say about God. The whole point of the argument is that god could much more easily have an active presence in the world without violating free will. He could communicate in much more overt ways than the bible. But you're not listening to that point at all. You're just like "well he did 2k years ago. Why isnt that good enough?"

The irony is that he totally gets the Bible is difficult... when he wants to. Any time you bring up a passage that even hints at something he doesn't like "that's a mistranslation."

I don't like genocide, but I didn't gloss over that.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:12 pm

The New California Republic wrote:Just because you dismiss them as irrelevant details doesn't mean that they are.

Why is the chronology of a flood relevant to loving one's neighbour? Why does it matter if the stars or the Earth was created first, when it comes to loving thy neighbour. I don't get it

What are you talking about? Why are you putting the flood and loving one's neighbour together? :eyebrow:

Wave on, wave on

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:13 pm

Page wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:No I said that the mistranslated parts are irrelevant details. For example, Noah's flood might not have actually lasted 40 days, but that's irrelevant to the main story, which is love. I feel like I've discussed this before. If not, I'd be happy to make a post about it

Why would the divinely inspired word of God give an erroneous number of days?

"40 days and 40 nights" is a Hebrew expression which means "a really long time". It's a figure of speech, just like in English, where "Raining cats and dogs" involves no fury animals whatsoever

The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:14 pm

The New California Republic wrote:Just because you dismiss them as irrelevant details doesn't mean that they are.

It depends on whether you're looking at things from the perspective of a "pure" theologian or whether you're looking at things from the perspective of a "pure" moral philosopher. Of course, a religion without theology would better be described as a civic religion or moral system, a religion without morals would be better described as a metaphysical system or else a very strange religion indeed.

Do I make any sense?
< THE HIGH SWAGLORD | 8VALUES | POLITISCALES >
My NS stats are not indicative of my OOC views. NS stats are meant to be rather silly. My OOC political and ideological inspirations are as such:
The Republic, by Plato | Leviathan, by Thomas Hobbes | The Confucian civil service system of imperial China | The "Golden Liberty" elective
monarchy system of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth | The corporatist/technocratic philosophy of Henri de Saint-Simon | The communitarian
ideological framework of the Singaporean People's Action Party | "New Deal"-style societal regimentation | Kantian/Mohist/Stoic philosophy

Free Arabian Nation
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Arabian Nation » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:15 pm

Because the bible is much more than just loving thy neighbor?

It has rituals and rules about killing witches, sorcerers, prostitutes, and unborn babies (if it was contracepted from cheating), a "how to" about marry your rape victim, god commanding slaves to obey their earthly masters, god making rules about how to beat your slaves, what kind of foods you can eat, what kinds of drinks you can drink, and about cutting the skin off your penis.

Then you get to the lovey-dovey hippy stuff Christians like to point to when someone brings up something bad.

I have no problems with the "Abrahamic Faiths", but please do not preach this kind of stuff

(OK, rant over, I'm gonna go take a shower)
العرب الأحرار
I don't use NS Stats, for they are against the will of Liberty and God.

News
Open to TGs

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:18 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Ignoring the fact that I called a liar, yea sure, why not?

Yo u called an author a liar, on the basis of absolutely nothing. RIGHT. That is a non-answer. Glad that has been made clear.

Sorry. I meant to say "Ignoring the fact that I called Hitler a liar". Geez, that was an embarrasing typo. I make a lot of typo, there's a chance I'm dislexic...

You called an author a liar, on the basis of absolutely nothing.

Now you're forcing me to bring up Hitler again...
Well that's the pot calling the kettle black

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:21 pm

Free Arabian Nation wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Why is the chronology of a flood relevant to loving one's neighbour? Why does it matter if the stars or the Earth was created first, when it comes to loving thy neighbour. I don't get it

Because the bible is much more than just loving thy neighbor?

It has rituals and rules about killing witches, sorcerers, prostitutes, and unborn babies (if it was contracepted from cheating), a "how to" about marry your rape victim, god commanding slaves to obey their earthly masters, god making rules about how to beat your slaves, what kind of foods you can eat, what kinds of drinks you can drink, and about cutting the skin off your penis.

Then you get to the lovey-dovey hippy stuff Christians like to point to when someone brings up something bad.

I have no problems with the "Abrahamic Faiths", but please do not preach this kind of stuff

:clap: :clap: :clap:
An actual intelligent post on the matter

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:21 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Now you're forcing me to bring up Hitler again...

How did I force you to post on that subject? Ignoring my post was a valid option.

Wave on, wave on

Free Arabian Nation
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Arabian Nation » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:22 pm

Free Arabian Nation wrote:Because the bible is much more than just loving thy neighbor?

Weird snark, but OK
العرب الأحرار
I don't use NS Stats, for they are against the will of Liberty and God.

News
Open to TGs

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:22 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Now you're forcing me to bring up Hitler again...

How did I force you to post on that subject? Ignoring my post was a valid option.

If I ignore your post, then you'll whinge about me ignoring and/or carry on about how your logical fallacy strawman was correct

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:23 pm

Free Arabian Nation wrote:Because the bible is much more than just loving thy neighbor?

There are plenty of intelligent posts here. If you dismiss them out of hand then that doesn't magically make them cease to exist.

Wave on, wave on

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:24 pm

Australian rePublic wrote: :clap: :clap: :clap:

There are plenty of intelligent posts here. If you dismiss them out of hand then that doesn't magically make them cease to exist.

But I've addressed most of them, but we kept running around in circles

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:26 pm

The New California Republic wrote:How did I force you to post on that subject? Ignoring my post was a valid option.

If I ignore your post, then you'll whinge about me ignoring and/or carry on about how your logical fallacy strawman was correct

Again I don't see where any of that means I'm forcing you to post. And I don't see the strawman that you are talking about.

Wave on, wave on

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:28 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:If I ignore your post, then you'll whinge about me ignoring and/or carry on about how your logical fallacy strawman was correct

Again I don't see where any of that means I'm forcing you to post. And I don't see the strawman that you are talking about.

The strawman of assuming that I was comparing all atheists to Hitler

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:32 pm

The New California Republic wrote:Again I don't see where any of that means I'm forcing you to post. And I don't see the strawman that you are talking about.

The strawman of assuming that I was comparing all atheists to Hitler

That really wasn't what I was talking about, but alright. :roll:

Wave on, wave on

New Legland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 21, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Legland » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:35 pm

Kowani wrote:

Love. God drowned everyone because he loved them.

Haven't you ever heard of tough love? I don't know about you, but the first thing I do when my children misbehave is fucking shove their heads in the toilet so they survive within an inch of their own life. If that seems a bit too harsh, don't worry! It was only a last resort. /s (just in case it wasn't obvious enough)
Last edited by New Legland on Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:38 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:The strawman of assuming that I was comparing all atheists to Hitler

That really wasn't what I was talking about, but alright. :roll:

No, I was pointing out your hypocracy. You said that I called the author a liar on the basis of nothing (which is true, but only because of a typo), yet you called me a liar because I rejected that "Hitler is atheists=atheists are Hitler". You baselessly called me a liar for that, then point out me baselessly calling someone a liar. That makes you a hypocrite

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General