NATION

PASSWORD

Why do/don't you believe in a higher power? (Any HP)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
The Blaatschapen
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 53363
Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:49 pm

Nazis in Space wrote:
The blAAtschApen wrote:So who is your favourite?

Beckenbauer?

I don't think that senility is a sign of divinity.


Please. Yahweh took one day of rest and forgot all about us.
Forumer mod, now a rocker mocker. Thank you Ringo
Heaven is other people
Behind the invisible hand of the market hides the iron fist of the state.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect - Mark Twain
Silent is an anagram of listen.
Proud adopter of a lamb called violet: http://imgur.com/a/pxnSf
Male. Please address me as 'he'.
This is the 8th line. If your sig is longer than mine, it is too long.

User avatar
Segral
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1458
Founded: Sep 06, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Segral » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:52 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:All I read in this thread is "cancer, cancer, cancer". Let me tell you a story. I almost died when I was 5 years old (not from cancer, but death is death). I don't even know how I survived this long. In addition to that, and seperate to that, I have a genetic disease called Thallasemia Minor, I have aspberger's syndrome. All of these don't mean that God isn't real. All of these don't mean that God is evil. Just because you don't understand why God does something, it doesn't mean that God is evil. I learnt that the hard way. (And no, before you strawman me, I am NOT saying that cancer is good. We should try to fight cancer as hard as possible, as we are doing, which is an excellent thing). Atheists keep talking about how morality is subjective, and indeed, 200 years ago, it was perfectly considered perfectly acceptable to think that one race was superior to other races, yet we changed our perspective of that, why? (Well, in all honesty, because Hitler took that concept way too far, causing the rest of us to see how idiotic it was.) Up until 200 years ago, slavery was perfectly acceptable, but then we abandoned it, why, I don't know. Now as for cancer, cancer is an evil and horrible thing, I rhink so, you think so and God thinks so. So why does God allow such a horrid thing to exist? I don't know. What I do know however, is that we humans cannot agree on what is good and evil, because we don't have access to the bigger picture, God who has access to the bigger picture, is capable of knowing how to run the universe, and has remained fairly consistant with His morality. Why does God allow cancer? Does He enjoy watch people suffer? No, of coarse not, in fact, it's the opposite, God suffers with them. So why does He allow cancer? I don't know. All I know ia that God is more knowlegable than me. Trying to argue that God is evil for the simple reason that you don't understand His will, is like trying to argue that your mechanic is evil because you don't understand why He changed the motor oil. Trying to argue that God is evil because you don't understand His will, is like trying to argue that your hotel receptionist is evil, because you don't understand why she's charging you for room service, etc.



First off, your story is inspiring man, that must have been very difficult to get through.

I agree with you that just because cancer and "bad things" in this world exist doesn't mean God isn't real. I believe that God puts us through these challenges and trials to make humanity stronger and keep the balance in life (of course, I don't mean that God is the once causing brain tumors, but as I said before, I believe God has a hand in affecting certain aspects of the world), not because he hates us, but because he's a man(?) with a plan. The slavery model isn't the best analogy, as well as some of your other points, but I agree with your basic underlying ideas. Although at the same time, I think this thread should be less about trying to convince others to believe or not believe in God, but rather understanding others perspectives and gaining insights as to what the individual members of this community believe in.
Call me Seg for short, it's much faster that way.

Proud Canadian and roleplayer, mostly kicking around the Fantasy, Slice of Life, and Superhuman genres.


User avatar
Australian rePublic
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16462
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Anarchy

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:56 pm

Segral wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:All I read in this thread is "cancer, cancer, cancer". Let me tell you a story. I almost died when I was 5 years old (not from cancer, but death is death). I don't even know how I survived this long. In addition to that, and seperate to that, I have a genetic disease called Thallasemia Minor, I have aspberger's syndrome. All of these don't mean that God isn't real. All of these don't mean that God is evil. Just because you don't understand why God does something, it doesn't mean that God is evil. I learnt that the hard way. (And no, before you strawman me, I am NOT saying that cancer is good. We should try to fight cancer as hard as possible, as we are doing, which is an excellent thing). Atheists keep talking about how morality is subjective, and indeed, 200 years ago, it was perfectly considered perfectly acceptable to think that one race was superior to other races, yet we changed our perspective of that, why? (Well, in all honesty, because Hitler took that concept way too far, causing the rest of us to see how idiotic it was.) Up until 200 years ago, slavery was perfectly acceptable, but then we abandoned it, why, I don't know. Now as for cancer, cancer is an evil and horrible thing, I rhink so, you think so and God thinks so. So why does God allow such a horrid thing to exist? I don't know. What I do know however, is that we humans cannot agree on what is good and evil, because we don't have access to the bigger picture, God who has access to the bigger picture, is capable of knowing how to run the universe, and has remained fairly consistant with His morality. Why does God allow cancer? Does He enjoy watch people suffer? No, of coarse not, in fact, it's the opposite, God suffers with them. So why does He allow cancer? I don't know. All I know ia that God is more knowlegable than me. Trying to argue that God is evil for the simple reason that you don't understand His will, is like trying to argue that your mechanic is evil because you don't understand why He changed the motor oil. Trying to argue that God is evil because you don't understand His will, is like trying to argue that your hotel receptionist is evil, because you don't understand why she's charging you for room service, etc.



First off, your story is inspiring man, that must have been very difficult to get through.

I agree with you that just because cancer and "bad things" in this world exist doesn't mean God isn't real. I believe that God puts us through these challenges and trials to make humanity stronger and keep the balance in life (of course, I don't mean that God is the once causing brain tumors, but as I said before, I believe God has a hand in affecting certain aspects of the world), not because he hates us, but because he's a man(?) with a plan. The slavery model isn't the best analogy, as well as some of your other points, but I agree with your basic underlying ideas. Although at the same time, I think this thread should be less about trying to convince others to believe or not believe in God, but rather understanding others perspectives and gaining insights as to what the individual members of this community believe in.

Well, that was my initial plan for this thread, but I'm thinking, why can't we have both?
Disclaimer: In-Character posts are NOT a reflection of the real world Australian government, any government departments, or any Australian states or territories. I have no authority over real world government decisions.
This nation does not reflect my views, as I am trying to unlock banners
From Sydney, NSW. From Greek ancestry. Orthodox Christian
Why stylised as "rePublic"
15 Published Issues
Please sign my petition to transport water across Australia (real life)
Issue Ideas You Can Steal

User avatar
Segral
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1458
Founded: Sep 06, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Segral » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:02 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
Segral wrote:

First off, your story is inspiring man, that must have been very difficult to get through.

I agree with you that just because cancer and "bad things" in this world exist doesn't mean God isn't real. I believe that God puts us through these challenges and trials to make humanity stronger and keep the balance in life (of course, I don't mean that God is the once causing brain tumors, but as I said before, I believe God has a hand in affecting certain aspects of the world), not because he hates us, but because he's a man(?) with a plan. The slavery model isn't the best analogy, as well as some of your other points, but I agree with your basic underlying ideas. Although at the same time, I think this thread should be less about trying to convince others to believe or not believe in God, but rather understanding others perspectives and gaining insights as to what the individual members of this community believe in.

Well, that was my initial plan for this thread, but I'm thinking, why can't we have both?


Well, I know from personal experience that I don't like it when people shove their beliefs on/try to convince me that they are right about religion, even to the point of trying to convince me that my beliefs are false and nonexistent (happened once). Plus, we could always try to hold ourselves to a better standard than the rest of NSG ;)
Call me Seg for short, it's much faster that way.

Proud Canadian and roleplayer, mostly kicking around the Fantasy, Slice of Life, and Superhuman genres.


User avatar
Australian rePublic
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16462
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Anarchy

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:11 pm

Segral wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Well, that was my initial plan for this thread, but I'm thinking, why can't we have both?


Well, I know from personal experience that I don't like it when people shove their beliefs on/try to convince me that they are right about religion, even to the point of trying to convince me that my beliefs are false and nonexistent (happened once). Plus, we could always try to hold ourselves to a better standard than the rest of NSG ;)

Then why are you actively and willing participating in a thread whose entire purpose is to give you other's perspectives of religion?
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: In-Character posts are NOT a reflection of the real world Australian government, any government departments, or any Australian states or territories. I have no authority over real world government decisions.
This nation does not reflect my views, as I am trying to unlock banners
From Sydney, NSW. From Greek ancestry. Orthodox Christian
Why stylised as "rePublic"
15 Published Issues
Please sign my petition to transport water across Australia (real life)
Issue Ideas You Can Steal

User avatar
Asherahan
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1860
Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Asherahan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:12 pm

I am a ireligious anti theist.

Why?

I am too sleepy to answer.
Status: Serial Forum Lurker
Ideologically a Left Statist
Who Likes: Single Party Democracy | Democratic Centralism | State Capitalism | Blanquism | State Atheism | Sex Positive Feminism & Socialist Feminism
Former Resident of NSG CTALNH here since 2011 - Add like 10000 to my post number.
Political Stances

User avatar
The Blaatschapen
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 53363
Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:14 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
Segral wrote:

First off, your story is inspiring man, that must have been very difficult to get through.

I agree with you that just because cancer and "bad things" in this world exist doesn't mean God isn't real. I believe that God puts us through these challenges and trials to make humanity stronger and keep the balance in life (of course, I don't mean that God is the once causing brain tumors, but as I said before, I believe God has a hand in affecting certain aspects of the world), not because he hates us, but because he's a man(?) with a plan. The slavery model isn't the best analogy, as well as some of your other points, but I agree with your basic underlying ideas. Although at the same time, I think this thread should be less about trying to convince others to believe or not believe in God, but rather understanding others perspectives and gaining insights as to what the individual members of this community believe in.

Well, that was my initial plan for this thread, but I'm thinking, why can't we have both?


Both what? Gaining insights and convincing others?
Forumer mod, now a rocker mocker. Thank you Ringo
Heaven is other people
Behind the invisible hand of the market hides the iron fist of the state.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect - Mark Twain
Silent is an anagram of listen.
Proud adopter of a lamb called violet: http://imgur.com/a/pxnSf
Male. Please address me as 'he'.
This is the 8th line. If your sig is longer than mine, it is too long.

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16462
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Anarchy

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:14 pm

Segral wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:All I read in this thread is "cancer, cancer, cancer". Let me tell you a story. I almost died when I was 5 years old (not from cancer, but death is death). I don't even know how I survived this long. In addition to that, and seperate to that, I have a genetic disease called Thallasemia Minor, I have aspberger's syndrome. All of these don't mean that God isn't real. All of these don't mean that God is evil. Just because you don't understand why God does something, it doesn't mean that God is evil. I learnt that the hard way. (And no, before you strawman me, I am NOT saying that cancer is good. We should try to fight cancer as hard as possible, as we are doing, which is an excellent thing). Atheists keep talking about how morality is subjective, and indeed, 200 years ago, it was perfectly considered perfectly acceptable to think that one race was superior to other races, yet we changed our perspective of that, why? (Well, in all honesty, because Hitler took that concept way too far, causing the rest of us to see how idiotic it was.) Up until 200 years ago, slavery was perfectly acceptable, but then we abandoned it, why, I don't know. Now as for cancer, cancer is an evil and horrible thing, I rhink so, you think so and God thinks so. So why does God allow such a horrid thing to exist? I don't know. What I do know however, is that we humans cannot agree on what is good and evil, because we don't have access to the bigger picture, God who has access to the bigger picture, is capable of knowing how to run the universe, and has remained fairly consistant with His morality. Why does God allow cancer? Does He enjoy watch people suffer? No, of coarse not, in fact, it's the opposite, God suffers with them. So why does He allow cancer? I don't know. All I know ia that God is more knowlegable than me. Trying to argue that God is evil for the simple reason that you don't understand His will, is like trying to argue that your mechanic is evil because you don't understand why He changed the motor oil. Trying to argue that God is evil because you don't understand His will, is like trying to argue that your hotel receptionist is evil, because you don't understand why she's charging you for room service, etc.



First off, your story is inspiring man, that must have been very difficult to get through.

I agree with you that just because cancer and "bad things" in this world exist doesn't mean God isn't real. I believe that God puts us through these challenges and trials to make humanity stronger and keep the balance in life (of course, I don't mean that God is the once causing brain tumors, but as I said before, I believe God has a hand in affecting certain aspects of the world), not because he hates us, but because he's a man(?) with a plan. The slavery model isn't the best analogy, as well as some of your other points, but I agree with your basic underlying ideas. Although at the same time, I think this thread should be less about trying to convince others to believe or not believe in God, but rather understanding others perspectives and gaining insights as to what the individual members of this community believe in.

Fun fact, (this is something I've learnt from my tourism/hospitality degree) Did you know that room service is very rarely profitable? I most cases, it makes a loss? :)
Disclaimer: In-Character posts are NOT a reflection of the real world Australian government, any government departments, or any Australian states or territories. I have no authority over real world government decisions.
This nation does not reflect my views, as I am trying to unlock banners
From Sydney, NSW. From Greek ancestry. Orthodox Christian
Why stylised as "rePublic"
15 Published Issues
Please sign my petition to transport water across Australia (real life)
Issue Ideas You Can Steal

User avatar
Segral
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1458
Founded: Sep 06, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Segral » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:16 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
Segral wrote:
Well, I know from personal experience that I don't like it when people shove their beliefs on/try to convince me that they are right about religion, even to the point of trying to convince me that my beliefs are false and nonexistent (happened once). Plus, we could always try to hold ourselves to a better standard than the rest of NSG ;)

Then why are you actively and willing participating in a thread whose entire purpose is to give you other's perspectives of religion?


Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I don't want to hear about other's perspectives on religion. I would just rather hear about it in a constructive and acknowledgeable debate over having people try to convince me of what is the "right" opinion. Not calling out anyone in particular, just sayin' that I think it would be best if we didn't stray into a toxic territory.
Call me Seg for short, it's much faster that way.

Proud Canadian and roleplayer, mostly kicking around the Fantasy, Slice of Life, and Superhuman genres.


User avatar
The World Capitalist Confederation
Minister
 
Posts: 2099
Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:16 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:All I read in this thread is "cancer, cancer, cancer". Let me tell you a story. I almost died when I was 5 years old (not from cancer, but death is death). I don't even know how I survived this long. In addition to that, and seperate to that, I have a genetic disease called Thallasemia Minor, I have aspberger's syndrome. All of these don't mean that God isn't real. All of these don't mean that God is evil. Just because you don't understand why God does something, it doesn't mean that God is evil. I learnt that the hard way. (And no, before you strawman me, I am NOT saying that cancer is good. We should try to fight cancer as hard as possible, as we are doing, which is an excellent thing). Atheists keep talking about how morality is subjective, and indeed, 200 years ago, it was perfectly considered perfectly acceptable to think that one race was superior to other races, yet we changed our perspective of that, why? (Well, in all honesty, because Hitler took that concept way too far, causing the rest of us to see how idiotic it was.) Up until 200 years ago, slavery was perfectly acceptable, but then we abandoned it, why, I don't know. Now as for cancer, cancer is an evil and horrible thing, I rhink so, you think so and God thinks so. So why does God allow such a horrid thing to exist? I don't know. What I do know however, is that we humans cannot agree on what is good and evil, because we don't have access to the bigger picture, God who has access to the bigger picture, is capable of knowing how to run the universe, and has remained fairly consistant with His morality. Why does God allow cancer? Does He enjoy watch people suffer? No, of coarse not, in fact, it's the opposite, God suffers with them. So why does He allow cancer? I don't know. All I know ia that God is more knowlegable than me. Trying to argue that God is evil for the simple reason that you don't understand His will, is like trying to argue that your mechanic is evil because you don't understand why He changed the motor oil. Trying to argue that God is evil because you don't understand His will, is like trying to argue that your hotel receptionist is evil, because you don't understand why she's charging you for room service, etc.

It doesn't matter about the will of some completely random, immeasurable and therefore infinitely weak being. It only matters what exists in the universe. Stories don't help your argument, it's really just fluff if I'm being honest. Logical arguments are supposed to be made from reason and evidence, not your own experiences (doing so, in fact, is a logical fallacy). Do you know the real, honest answer slavery was banned? Because of economic interest. Rich industrialists banned slavery in order to get a larger share of the market. Simple as that. There is no objective morality and there is no right or wrong, just whatever exists in the universe. We can't keep pleading ignorance. If such a being wants to keep us in the dark from why, it clearly has extremely bad intentions. There is no reason for it to be hiding something unless it is attempting to kill the human race. So, again, I posit two possible solutions:

1. There is an evil/morally ignorant deity.
2. There are no deities.

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16462
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Anarchy

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:18 pm

Segral wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Then why are you actively and willing participating in a thread whose entire purpose is to give you other's perspectives of religion?


Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I don't want to hear about other's perspectives on religion. I would just rather hear about it in a constructive and acknowledgeable debate over having people try to convince me of what is the "right" opinion. Not calling out anyone in particular, just sayin' that I think it would be best if we didn't stray into a toxic territory.

Fair enough
Disclaimer: In-Character posts are NOT a reflection of the real world Australian government, any government departments, or any Australian states or territories. I have no authority over real world government decisions.
This nation does not reflect my views, as I am trying to unlock banners
From Sydney, NSW. From Greek ancestry. Orthodox Christian
Why stylised as "rePublic"
15 Published Issues
Please sign my petition to transport water across Australia (real life)
Issue Ideas You Can Steal

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16462
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Anarchy

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:20 pm

The blAAtschApen wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Well, that was my initial plan for this thread, but I'm thinking, why can't we have both?


Both what? Gaining insights and convincing others?

My initial plan was gaining insights, but I can't see why we can't do both- gain insights and convince others
Disclaimer: In-Character posts are NOT a reflection of the real world Australian government, any government departments, or any Australian states or territories. I have no authority over real world government decisions.
This nation does not reflect my views, as I am trying to unlock banners
From Sydney, NSW. From Greek ancestry. Orthodox Christian
Why stylised as "rePublic"
15 Published Issues
Please sign my petition to transport water across Australia (real life)
Issue Ideas You Can Steal

User avatar
New Merakh
Secretary
 
Posts: 26
Founded: Jun 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Merakh » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:21 pm

When I was younger, I hated G-d and religion as a whole. I had such negative experiences with in growing up in a deeply Baptist area that I didn't feel welcomed in. I used to lie in bed trying to pray, trying to ask for a sign or proof that a god was out there. Of course, nothing happened, but I still sought out spiritual and religious ways to interpret the world and myself. For me personally, converting to Judaism (which I am still in the process of doing) was the perfect middle ground between blind hatred and blind faith. The values of questioning and wrestling with G-d makes it easy for me to 'believe' in G-d while still questioning what G-d is, if they are real, if their actions are just, if they plays a role in the world as it is today for better or for worse.

I feel satisfied to believe in G-d, but recognize G-d is sometimes a shitty, absentee father even when they want the best for you
The Union of New Merakh
Wikipedia | Political Compass
MT | Maps | Facts Over Stats
Gerhard ⚧ 18
Featured Art
Carrying the Scrolls of the Law
Featured Music Manifest

User avatar
Ausinia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 798
Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ausinia » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:24 pm

The blAAtschApen wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:So all of you who refuse to believe in God, because of lack of evidence, where do you stand on aliens?


I believe aliens exist.

I am one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_(law)

I was hoping that someone would say it
Im currently working on my storefront and factbooks, estimated time of completion: ERROR
This nation does not completely agree with my views
You though I was bothered? No, not yet
Ausinia Weapons & Tech
THE UNITED COMMONWEALTH of AUSINIA
You should join SUN| Visit PAS | War with Tongarlia

User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Post Czar
 
Posts: 39106
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:04 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:So all of you who refuse to believe in God, because of lack of evidence, where do you stand on aliens?

I believe they probably exist. Universe is way too big for earth to be the only planet with sentient life.

But at the moment we dont know for sure.
Scary Spooky Leftist #19879417 An Atheist Irishman from Belfast Loyal to Dragonstone and the King in the Narrow Sea

WHY BOOB SMALL? WHY YOU HATE?
-oppressed gamer
Yeh: The Red Agenda, Purging the Xenos, Not being a prick, Vidya Gaemz, Art, Science, History, Old Gregg, Blondes, Redheads, Tattooed girls, Erecting fortifications, Tanks.
Neh: The Blue Agenda, Being a prick, Xenos, Racism, National/Religious wankery, Zealots, Gatekeeping, Alt-right/SJW Snowflakes, Random lists, Dismantling Fortifications, Cabbage.

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16462
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Anarchy

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:08 pm

Sahansahiye Iran wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:We, as Orthodox Christians, don't believe that we're born in sim

Well, that's not true.

Ha. This is very different to everything I've read from Orthodox sources
Disclaimer: In-Character posts are NOT a reflection of the real world Australian government, any government departments, or any Australian states or territories. I have no authority over real world government decisions.
This nation does not reflect my views, as I am trying to unlock banners
From Sydney, NSW. From Greek ancestry. Orthodox Christian
Why stylised as "rePublic"
15 Published Issues
Please sign my petition to transport water across Australia (real life)
Issue Ideas You Can Steal

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16462
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Anarchy

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:09 pm

The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:So all of you who refuse to believe in God, because of lack of evidence, where do you stand on aliens?


I mean, I'm not technically the right person to ask *cough*Deism*cough*, but I find the existence of extraterrestrial life to be as of yet uncertain, but probable given the vastness of the cosmos/creation and the large numbers of potentially habitable exoplanets out there.

But do you have any proof?
Disclaimer: In-Character posts are NOT a reflection of the real world Australian government, any government departments, or any Australian states or territories. I have no authority over real world government decisions.
This nation does not reflect my views, as I am trying to unlock banners
From Sydney, NSW. From Greek ancestry. Orthodox Christian
Why stylised as "rePublic"
15 Published Issues
Please sign my petition to transport water across Australia (real life)
Issue Ideas You Can Steal

User avatar
New Legland
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 390
Founded: Apr 21, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Legland » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:21 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord wrote:
I mean, I'm not technically the right person to ask *cough*Deism*cough*, but I find the existence of extraterrestrial life to be as of yet uncertain, but probable given the vastness of the cosmos/creation and the large numbers of potentially habitable exoplanets out there.

But do you have any proof?

There's a number differences between a belief in aliens and a belief in a god. You can't use the same logic to justify belief for both of them. I assume the point you're trying to make is that there is a sort of atheist hypocrisy here, right?
Last edited by New Legland on Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16462
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Anarchy

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:21 pm

Dogmeat wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Point Number 2: Nope. The Bible, in the original Hebrew, uses the word "Yom". "Yom" can apparently mean any number of things , a physical day "24 hours" (the most common translation), an unspecified amount of time, an unspecified consistant length of time, millenia, or anything else, really

This is kind of silly, since Genesis even defines what it means by day: "And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day." So we're clearly talking about actual days.

In English

But even if it were true that these are epochs or something, the story still gets the order of everything wrong. With God creating the Earth and plantlife before the sun and stars. So it doesn't matter how long the days are, the story is still clearly wrong.

In English

Australian rePublic wrote:Then let's use the same arguments that most atheists have used here against God. If it's not an explosion, why is it called "Big Bang"

Fred Hoyle came up with the name as an insult. It's not something scientists are committed to, it just sort of stuck.

My point is that we shouldn't get too caught up o n terminology
Disclaimer: In-Character posts are NOT a reflection of the real world Australian government, any government departments, or any Australian states or territories. I have no authority over real world government decisions.
This nation does not reflect my views, as I am trying to unlock banners
From Sydney, NSW. From Greek ancestry. Orthodox Christian
Why stylised as "rePublic"
15 Published Issues
Please sign my petition to transport water across Australia (real life)
Issue Ideas You Can Steal

User avatar
Alvecia
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18159
Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:24 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord wrote:
I mean, I'm not technically the right person to ask *cough*Deism*cough*, but I find the existence of extraterrestrial life to be as of yet uncertain, but probable given the vastness of the cosmos/creation and the large numbers of potentially habitable exoplanets out there.

But do you have any proof?

This is where calling it evidence is actually more appropriate. We do actually have evidence of extraterrestrial life. Ourselves. That we exist is evidence of the possibility of life elsewhere.
Now by no means is it proof, but it is evidence.
British
Atheist
IT Support
That there is no exception to the rule "There is an exception to every rule" is the exception that proves the rule.
---
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll stop asking you to catch his fish.
That's not happening
That shouldn't be happening
Why is that happening?
That's why it's happening?
How has this ever worked?

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16462
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Anarchy

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:24 pm

New Legland wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:But do you have any proof?

There's a number differences between a belief in aliens and a belief in a god. You can't use the same logic to justify belief for both of them.

Why?
Disclaimer: In-Character posts are NOT a reflection of the real world Australian government, any government departments, or any Australian states or territories. I have no authority over real world government decisions.
This nation does not reflect my views, as I am trying to unlock banners
From Sydney, NSW. From Greek ancestry. Orthodox Christian
Why stylised as "rePublic"
15 Published Issues
Please sign my petition to transport water across Australia (real life)
Issue Ideas You Can Steal

User avatar
Andsed
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5901
Founded: Aug 24, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Andsed » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:26 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
New Legland wrote:There's a number differences between a belief in aliens and a belief in a god. You can't use the same logic to justify belief for both of them.

Why?

Because there is much more evidence for aliens and it is much more possible they exist than god. Don’t be obtuse.
Hello I am Andsed welcome to my sig.


Amazing Andsed quotes:
Ok lets get back on topic so we don´t get this thread locked thanks to talking about my church windmill dancing.
Andsed is not legally responsible for any injuries that may occur if you take this seriously and somehow get a trebuchet and try to fling yourself into a plane. You fucking dumbass
NationStates going from serious debates about homosexuality to jokes about Jesus a marijuana dealer in the span of one to two posts since November 13 2002.
Sorry my mind is always in the gutter no it lives in gutter my mind is fuckin called pennywise it is in the gutter so much.
How does one outsource racism? Do you like get an Indian guy to call people and call them racial slurs?

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

User avatar
Farnhamia
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 99702
Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:27 pm

Andsed wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Why?

Because there is much more evidence for aliens and it is much more possible they exist than god. Don’t be obtuse.

Pardon me, but evidence for aliens? What would that be? I would love to learn.
Freedom ... or cake. ~ Ashmoria (RIP)
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16462
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Anarchy

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:29 pm

Andsed wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Why?

Because there is much more evidence for aliens and it is much more possible they exist than god. Don’t be obtuse.

What evidence, exactly?
Disclaimer: In-Character posts are NOT a reflection of the real world Australian government, any government departments, or any Australian states or territories. I have no authority over real world government decisions.
This nation does not reflect my views, as I am trying to unlock banners
From Sydney, NSW. From Greek ancestry. Orthodox Christian
Why stylised as "rePublic"
15 Published Issues
Please sign my petition to transport water across Australia (real life)
Issue Ideas You Can Steal

User avatar
Andsed
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5901
Founded: Aug 24, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Andsed » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:30 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Andsed wrote:Because there is much more evidence for aliens and it is much more possible they exist than god. Don’t be obtuse.

Pardon me, but evidence for aliens? What would that be? I would love to learn.

Okay evidence is the wrong word so let me rephrase. We know that intelligent life can and does exist in the universe because we exist. We also know there are many worlds that have similar conditions to earth so with these two pieces of knowledge we can say it is possible than alien life exist. We cannot say the same for god.
Hello I am Andsed welcome to my sig.


Amazing Andsed quotes:
Ok lets get back on topic so we don´t get this thread locked thanks to talking about my church windmill dancing.
Andsed is not legally responsible for any injuries that may occur if you take this seriously and somehow get a trebuchet and try to fling yourself into a plane. You fucking dumbass
NationStates going from serious debates about homosexuality to jokes about Jesus a marijuana dealer in the span of one to two posts since November 13 2002.
Sorry my mind is always in the gutter no it lives in gutter my mind is fuckin called pennywise it is in the gutter so much.
How does one outsource racism? Do you like get an Indian guy to call people and call them racial slurs?

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chestaan, Duvniask, G-Tech Corporation, Great Aletia, Happy-go-lucky forever, Kragholm Free States, Majestic-12 [Bot], Nakena, Novus America, Philjia, Saciu, Salandriagado, SherpDaWerp, The Huskar Social Union, The Srovsk State, Umpus, Vassenor, Velika Bosna i Hercegovina

Advertisement

Remove ads