NATION

PASSWORD

Why do/don't you believe in a higher power? (Any HP)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Wunderstrafanstalt
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Wunderstrafanstalt » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:46 pm

What guarantee your or anyone's interpretation to be correct and why God made his holy book to need complicated interpretation at all? Just like the Quran, the bible can be reinterpreted and used to justify both good stuff and wicked, fucked up stuff. Not to mention we end up with like like 33000 sects denominations. Except if most of them have "Angus" as their name yet they put sugar on their porridge.
Last edited by Wunderstrafanstalt on Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CFR WUNDERSTRAFANSTALT - LAIRAN UNION
"Ad astra et ultra" - "To the stars and beyond"

14.0 | MT | F17 | $LFD | Kurzgesagt | IC Flag | Flag Patron: Bill Gates

Voiced - Artemsday, 12019-5-7: PT party pledged vote for Kalvar's Green Initiative | PETRAL donated Ł1.1 mil to PT | PT voted against Green Initiative.
Your average lowkey maritime Southeast Asian on NS | C e n t r i s t social liberal | Muslim (secretly atheist, don't tell mom) | RK for President 2024, Musk for Planetary Emperor 2100
Just refer to me as "WS" instead of that long-ass name

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:52 pm

Coruscanti Nations wrote:I read it the way that original readers would have read it, and anyone reading it should do the same, as doing otherwise leads to the wrong conclusions

The original readers of the Bible likely included a great many skeptics as well, so saying stuff like "we should read it the way that the original readers would have read it" says fuck all, absolutely fuck all.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Coruscanti Nations
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Coruscanti Nations » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:27 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Coruscanti Nations wrote:I read it the way that original readers would have read it, and anyone reading it should do the same, as doing otherwise leads to the wrong conclusions

The original readers of the Bible likely included a great many skeptics as well, so saying stuff like "we should read it the way that the original readers would have read it" says fuck all, absolutely fuck all.

That's a pretty dumb assertion when you consider that Israelites in the ancient period post and pre exile and the Christians of the first century were the ones that read it.

These were written to ancient Israelites and first century Christians, not to you.
Apologist ~ Bane of Heretics ~ Defender of the Faith ~ Master of the Jedi Order

Against: Dictatorships, freedom from responsibility, liberalism, Ebola-chan, people who claim Earth-chan is flat, anti-vaxxers, and heretics

For: Sensibility, logic, actually using the brain, democracy, and state secularism

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:32 pm

Coruscanti Nations wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:The original readers of the Bible likely included a great many skeptics as well, so saying stuff like "we should read it the way that the original readers would have read it" says fuck all, absolutely fuck all.

That's a pretty dumb assertion when you consider that Israelites in the ancient period post and pre exile and the Christians of the first century were the ones that read it.

These were written to ancient Israelites and first century Christians, not to you.

There would have been skeptics amongst them, it's an impossibility that every single one of the original readers completely accepted the Bible. So no, it isn't a "dumb assertion" at all.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 07, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:40 pm

Korhal IVV wrote:
Godular wrote:
Filed once more under: "No U"

I really am curious for an example of skeptics cherrypicking scripture 100% of the time. You're rather quick to accuse us of not understanding the stuff we read, but it really does seem that the trend leans the other way.

No U?

No U No U No U No U No U No U No U No U No U No U No U

It is hilarious how you ignore so many things: ex., the nature of God as unbound by human mindsets.

For example, Richard Dawkins calls God petty, and yet does not consider that God was extrenely gracious to people, like how He would be willing to spare Sodom if only TEN righteous Sodomites can be found. Or just how long He was delaying judgement for VERY long to give second chances to a depraved humanity (100 years before the Flood, 400 years for the Canaanites, and the entirety of history so far for humanity in general).

Or how people assume that He is sinking to Pharaoh's level when He isn't human to begin with, and when other passages stresses that vengeance belongs to God, not to those who follow him.

Or how people call Him a magical skyman, which is dumber than anti-vaxxers and flat-earthers combined.

Or on how people say it is unfair for God to only let some people into Heaven and not all... when being fair is sending all to hell.

Or when people go insane over that Psalm that described Babylonian infants getting smashed against the rockd when it is in fact a psalm of retribution and lamentation against Babylobian oppression.

Or when people say that God can't handle mockery, ignoring that He is the ruler of the universe and such mockery is in a different level higher than mocking Vladimir Putin or Constantine the Great.

Filed under: “You’re just not GETTING it!”

You are not the arbiter of which interpretation is correct. Also, that is a LOT of displacement you’re ladling on me without any justification whatsoever.
Godulan Puppet #2, RPing as technologically advanced tribal society founded by mongols and vikings (and later with multiple other Asian and Native American cultures) motivated by an intrinsic devotion to the spirit of competition. They'll walk softly, talk softly, and make soothing noises as they stab you in the back and take your stuff... unless you're another Caleshan, whereupon they'll only stab you in the back figuratively!

Used NS stats: Population. That’s it. Anything else not stated in the factbooks is not used.

Intro RP: Gravity Ships and Garden Snips (involved tribes: Plainsrider, Hawkeye, Wavecrasher)
Current RP: A Rock Out of Place (involved tribes: Night Wolf, Deep Kraken, Starwalker)

Coruscanti Nations
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Coruscanti Nations » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:40 pm

Coruscanti Nations wrote:That's a pretty dumb assertion when you consider that Israelites in the ancient period post and pre exile and the Christians of the first century were the ones that read it.

There would have been skeptics amongst them, it's an impossibility that every single one of the original readers completely accepted the Bible. So no, it isn't a "dumb assertion" at all.

Except that I was referring to individual books (each of which had a SPECIFIC purpose), not to the document that was formed by church councils and put together by St. Jerome ad the Vulgate in AD 400.

Skepticsm has only been strong in the last two or so centuries, so if there were anyone that didn't accept of the books, it would be Israel when it had its idolatrous phases (which wasn't rejection at all, but rather, forgetting the Torah and the law of Moses), people who took offense to the truth (like some of the Corinthians, who took offence on Paul's letter), and similar cases. Atheism was almost nonexistent back then.

There may be some who did not agree, but they still understand the text differently than us and would be getting the message exactly as it was meant to. After all, the OT was written in Hebrew, and the NT in Koine Greek, and the terms of the Bronze Age and the First Century are different from the modern time.

Against: Dictatorships, freedom from responsibility, liberalism, Ebola-chan, people who claim Earth-chan is flat, anti-vaxxers, and heretics

For: Sensibility, logic, actually using the brain, democracy, and state secularism

Toklax
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Toklax » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:10 pm

Alvecia wrote:
Ithreland wrote:I believe because I've personally witnessed a miracle and too many things fit together in the universe. Science can rely on stable things despite an insistence that it's all RNG even in the face of entropy.

I'm not certain how I feel about labels besides "Christian", but I was raised Protestant/Assemblies of God; I guess I'm non-denominational.

I’d be interested to hear what miracle you believe you witnessed.

Ithreland's puppet here, haven't kept up with the thread because I had no reason to until I noticed there was a reply.

Obviously this is an easily-dismissed anecdote, but I asked God for a yes/no sign on something personal to me (that I won't be disclosing) in the form of an acquaintance of mine who mainly attended church on Wednesdays, but would rarely come back on Sundays. The sign was basically: "Is [personal thing] a waste of time? If no, have [Name] show up tomorrow[Sunday] morning." Something immediately clicked in my head that [Name] would show up, and so he did. It was a week before the senior graduation recognition we were to attend onstage and he showed up because he thought it was that Sunday and not the week after. I would have had no reason to expect him due to being acquaintances and not friends.

The personal thing has since slipped out of my grasp and I have no idea what to make of it and the (minor prophecy?) event now, but there you go. I haven't told anyone this before, not even family/friends, because the personal thing has screwed me up for the past four years.
Any suggestions that Toklax sounds like a laxative will be met with state execution.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:34 am

The New California Republic wrote:There would have been skeptics amongst them, it's an impossibility that every single one of the original readers completely accepted the Bible. So no, it isn't a "dumb assertion" at all.

Except that I was referring to individual books (each of which had a SPECIFIC purpose), not to the document that was formed by church councils and put together by St. Jerome ad the Vulgate in AD 400.

Skepticsm has only been strong in the last two or so centuries, so if there were anyone that didn't accept of the books, it would be Israel when it had its idolatrous phases (which wasn't rejection at all, but rather, forgetting the Torah and the law of Moses), people who took offense to the truth (like some of the Corinthians, who took offence on Paul's letter), and similar cases. Atheism was almost nonexistent back then.

There may be some who did not agree, but they still understand the text differently than us and would be getting the message exactly as it was meant to. After all, the OT was written in Hebrew, and the NT in Koine Greek, and the terms of the Bronze Age and the First Century are different from the modern time.

Splitting hairs. God was constantly on the case of the skeptics, as shown by his constant admonishment of people who disbelieved amongst the Jews. Moses threw down the tablets and smashed them because people had fell away from the teachings and embraced new beliefs. The only way they could fall away from the teachings is to have had some skepticism regarding them. Moses wasn't away for long enough for the Jews to forget their beliefs, he was only away for 40 days at a time. The Jews would have needed memories like sieves to simply forget their beliefs in that short time. Skepticism as part of our questioning nature is part and parcel of being human, so skeptics existed back then too.

And I beg to differ. Atheism has existed since God was invented.

Wave on, wave on

Coruscanti Nations
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Coruscanti Nations » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:45 am

Coruscanti Nations wrote:Except that I was referring to individual books (each of which had a SPECIFIC purpose), not to the document that was formed by church councils and put together by St. Jerome ad the Vulgate in AD 400.

Splitting hairs. God was constantly on the case of the skeptics, as shown by his constant admonishment of people who disbelieved amongst the Jews. Moses threw down the tablets and smashed them because people had fell away from the teachings and embraced new beliefs. The only way they could fall away from the teachings is to have had some skepticism regarding them. Moses wasn't away for long enough for the Jews to forget their beliefs, he was only away for 40 days at a time. The Jews would have needed memories like sieves to simply forget their beliefs in that short time. Skepticism as part of our questioning nature is part and parcel of being human, so skeptics existed back then too.

They didn’t embrace new things. They were surrounded by idolatry in Egypt, remember? And just because the Tribe of Levi and whatnot are dedicated to Yahweh, historically speaking, the idolatrous saturation they experienced while under slavery (it can be assumed that they made temples for Egyptians gods as well) would have heavily affected their psyche. It is similar to what happened when Roman Catholicism was mixed with animistic beliefs in Latin America and in the Philippines. They weren’t exactly disbelieving and neither were they embracing anything new, because golden calves were originally an Egyptian thing. They were mixing things up, as Aaron said, “Look, Israel. This is the God that brought you out of Egypt.” They were accustomed to seeing material things for their belief, and it was difficult for them to be accustomed to an invisivle deity, and were reliant on Moses to sustain their faith.

In the absence of Moses, the judicial authority had been delegated to Aaron, and a vast crowd gathered about his tent, with the demand, “Make us gods, which shall go before us; for as for this Moses, the man that brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we wot not what is become of him.” ] The cloud, they said, that had heretofore led them, now rested permanently upon the mount; it would no longer direct their travels. They must have an image in its place; and if, as had been suggested, they should decide to return to Egypt, they would find favor with the Egyptians by bearing this image before them and acknowledging it as their god.

Such a crisis demanded a man of firmness, decision, and unflinching courage; one who held the honor of God above popular favor, personal safety, or life itself. But the present leader of Israel was not of this character. Aaron feebly remonstrated with the people, but his wavering and timidity at the critical moment only rendered them the more determined. The tumult increased. A blind, unreasoning frenzy seemed to take possession of the multitude. There were some who remained true to their covenant with God, but the greater part of the people joined in the apostasy. A few who ventured to denounce the proposed image making as idolatry, were set upon and roughly treated, and in the confusion and excitement they finally lost their lives.

Aaron feared for his own safety; and instead of nobly standing up for the honor of God, he yielded to the demands of the multitude. His first act was to direct that the golden earrings be collected from all the people and brought to him, hoping that pride would lead them to refuse such a sacrifice. But they willingly yielded up their ornaments; and from these he made a molten calf, in imitation of the gods of Egypt. The people proclaimed, “These be thy gods, O Israel, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.” And Aaron basely permitted this insult to Jehovah. He did more. Seeing with what satisfaction the golden god was received, he built an altar before it, and made proclamation, “Tomorrow is a feast to the Lord.” The announcement was heralded by trumpeters from company to company throughout the camp. “And they rose up early on the morrow, and offered burnt offerings, and brought peace offerings; and the people sat down to eat and to drink and rose up to play.” Under the pretense of holding “a feast to the Lord,” they gave themselves up to gluttony and licentious reveling. .

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:50 am

The New California Republic wrote:Splitting hairs. God was constantly on the case of the skeptics, as shown by his constant admonishment of people who disbelieved amongst the Jews. Moses threw down the tablets and smashed them because people had fell away from the teachings and embraced new beliefs. The only way they could fall away from the teachings is to have had some skepticism regarding them. Moses wasn't away for long enough for the Jews to forget their beliefs, he was only away for 40 days at a time. The Jews would have needed memories like sieves to simply forget their beliefs in that short time. Skepticism as part of our questioning nature is part and parcel of being human, so skeptics existed back then too.

They didn’t embrace new things. They were surrounded by idolatry in Egypt, remember? And just because the Tribe of Levi and whatnot are dedicated to Yahweh, historically speaking, the idolatrous saturation they experienced while under slavery (it can be assumed that they made temples for Egyptians gods as well) would have heavily affected their psyche. It is similar to what happened when Roman Catholicism was mixed with animistic beliefs in Latin America and in the Philippines. They weren’t exactly disbelieving and neither were they embracing anything new, because golden calves were originally an Egyptian thing. They were mixing things up, as Aaron said, “Look, Israel. This is the God that brought you out of Egypt.” They were accustomed to seeing material things for their belief, and it was difficult for them to be accustomed to an invisivle deity, and were reliant on Moses to sustain their faith.

In the absence of Moses, the judicial authority had been delegated to Aaron, and a vast crowd gathered about his tent, with the demand, “Make us gods, which shall go before us; for as for this Moses, the man that brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we wot not what is become of him.” ] The cloud, they said, that had heretofore led them, now rested permanently upon the mount; it would no longer direct their travels. They must have an image in its place; and if, as had been suggested, they should decide to return to Egypt, they would find favor with the Egyptians by bearing this image before them and acknowledging it as their god.

Such a crisis demanded a man of firmness, decision, and unflinching courage; one who held the honor of God above popular favor, personal safety, or life itself. But the present leader of Israel was not of this character. Aaron feebly remonstrated with the people, but his wavering and timidity at the critical moment only rendered them the more determined. The tumult increased. A blind, unreasoning frenzy seemed to take possession of the multitude. There were some who remained true to their covenant with God, but the greater part of the people joined in the apostasy. A few who ventured to denounce the proposed image making as idolatry, were set upon and roughly treated, and in the confusion and excitement they finally lost their lives.

Aaron feared for his own safety; and instead of nobly standing up for the honor of God, he yielded to the demands of the multitude. His first act was to direct that the golden earrings be collected from all the people and brought to him, hoping that pride would lead them to refuse such a sacrifice. But they willingly yielded up their ornaments; and from these he made a molten calf, in imitation of the gods of Egypt. The people proclaimed, “These be thy gods, O Israel, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.” And Aaron basely permitted this insult to Jehovah. He did more. Seeing with what satisfaction the golden god was received, he built an altar before it, and made proclamation, “Tomorrow is a feast to the Lord.” The announcement was heralded by trumpeters from company to company throughout the camp. “And they rose up early on the morrow, and offered burnt offerings, and brought peace offerings; and the people sat down to eat and to drink and rose up to play.” Under the pretense of holding “a feast to the Lord,” they gave themselves up to gluttony and licentious reveling. .

You basically just gave a very verbose affirmation of what I said.

Wave on, wave on

Korhal IVV
Senator

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:53 am

Coruscanti Nations wrote:They didn’t embrace new things. They were surrounded by idolatry in Egypt, remember? And just because the Tribe of Levi and whatnot are dedicated to Yahweh, historically speaking, the idolatrous saturation they experienced while under slavery (it can be assumed that they made temples for Egyptians gods as well) would have heavily affected their psyche. It is similar to what happened when Roman Catholicism was mixed with animistic beliefs in Latin America and in the Philippines. They weren’t exactly disbelieving and neither were they embracing anything new, because golden calves were originally an Egyptian thing. They were mixing things up, as Aaron said, “Look, Israel. This is the God that brought you out of Egypt.” They were accustomed to seeing material things for their belief, and it was difficult for them to be accustomed to an invisivle deity, and were reliant on Moses to sustain their faith.

You basically just gave a very verbose affirmation of what I said.

I see no confirmation of skepticsm.
ABTH Music Education ~ AB Journalism ~ RPer ~ Keyboard Warrior ~ Futurist ~ INTJ

Economic Left/Right: -0.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
Supports: Christianity, economic development, democracy, common sense, vaccines, space colonization, and health programs
Against: Adding 100 genders, Gay marriage in a church, heresy, Nazism, abortion for no good reason, anti-vaxxers, SJW liberals, and indecency
This nation does reflect my real-life beliefs.
My vocabulary is stranger than a Tzeentchian sorceror. Bare with me.

"Whatever a person may be like, we must still love them because we love God." ~ John Calvin

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:04 am

Korhal IVV wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:You basically just gave a very verbose affirmation of what I said.

I see no confirmation of skepticsm.

I do. Skepticism is a prerequisite of being open to the ingress of other beliefs.

Wave on, wave on

Korhal IVV
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:06 am

Korhal IVV wrote:I see no confirmation of skepticsm.

I do. Skepticism is a prerequisite of being open to the ingress of other beliefs.

Except that it was a short return to old beliefs, not an openness to new ones.
ABTH Music Education ~ AB Journalism ~ RPer ~ Keyboard Warrior ~ Futurist ~ INTJ

Supports: Christianity, economic development, democracy, common sense, vaccines, space colonization, and health programs
Against: Adding 100 genders, Gay marriage in a church, heresy, Nazism, abortion for no good reason, anti-vaxxers, SJW liberals, and indecency

"Whatever a person may be like, we must still love them because we love God." ~ John Calvin

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:11 am

Korhal IVV wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:I do. Skepticism is a prerequisite of being open to the ingress of other beliefs.

Except that it was a short return to old beliefs, not an openness to new ones.

Not really essential to what I was saying, splitting hairs a bit, and still confirms what I was saying, but alright.

Wave on, wave on

Luxcentra
Attaché

Founded: Feb 28, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Luxcentra » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:23 am

I believe that those who are positive will have good things happen to them. The universe is on our side, and people are essentially good on the inside.

I do not, however, believe in God. Most theologies reek of the culture they came from, suggesting a man-made origin. I think they can provide peace of mind to the grieving, but they don't provide much else outside of a good story.

The universe has a much crazier origin story that is much less of an offense to its grandeur than a sky daddy who supposedly made liquid water appear before light or heat. Instead of listening to a book that tells me that I'll go to hell for touching or loving someone that sky daddy didn't want me touching or loving, or for not thinking he may totally exist, I think the detailed explanation about how the universe in its very first moments, was essentially frozen in time because it was too hot--with real measurements on how large it was mere fractions of a fraction of a fraction of a second after its creation--is a much more plausible explanation. We have books on those too.

And while one book proposes an Earth age that is younger than ancient pots we've found in the desert, the other book is the product of the same methods that have allowed me to type this very sentence. You tell me which one is based more in reality.
Last edited by Luxcentra on Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
FT Ecumenopolis
Used a base picture of the moon Titan, and made the changes to make it look like a planet-wide city. (Scroll to bottom of link for picture of planet)

Luxcentra was colonized with the goal of becoming the galactic center of NS Commerce.

ENTP|Taurus|Lawful Good|Earth/Light
My Values
Luxcentran Values
Lux Central News -- Preparing For Tomorrow | Residents worried of the President's sudden authoritarian turn | Construction of a new central district to replace the current capital is under way.

Jolthig
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby Jolthig » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:58 am

The New California Republic wrote:There would have been skeptics amongst them, it's an impossibility that every single one of the original readers completely accepted the Bible. So no, it isn't a "dumb assertion" at all.

Considering that atheism is derived from Koine Greek, the language your NT was written (atheos; "without god"), I'll have to disagree with you.
Ahmadi Muslim • Absolute Justice • Star Wars fan • Love For All, Hatred For None • trucker

Want to know more about Ahmadiyya? Click here!

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:25 am

Skepticsm has only been strong in the last two or so centuries,

Skepticism is literally older than the New Testament as a philosophy.

so if there were anyone that didn't accept of the books, it would be Israel when it had its idolatrous phases (which wasn't rejection at all, but rather, forgetting the Torah and the law of Moses),

Those are the same thing.

people who took offense to the truth (like some of the Corinthians, who took offence on Paul's letter), and similar cases.

So nobody was skeptical, apart from all of the people who were skeptical.

Atheism was almost nonexistent back then.

Only true if you take a very narrow definition of "atheist", and entirely irrelevant to the discussion.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

New Legland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 21, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Legland » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:50 pm

well then

Jolthig
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby Jolthig » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:26 pm

New Legland wrote:well then

I'm still here lol
Ahmadi Muslim • Absolute Justice • Star Wars fan • Love For All, Hatred For None • trucker

Want to know more about Ahmadiyya? Click here!

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:41 pm

Lanorth wrote: I am British, and normally all of the British are devout Christians.

U W0T M8?

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:55 pm

The New California Republic wrote:The original readers of the Bible likely included a great many skeptics as well, so saying stuff like "we should read it the way that the original readers would have read it" says fuck all, absolutely fuck all.

And we can thank good old imperialistic military colonisation for taking Johnny Foreigner's land and converting them to the Christian way, or killing them if they didn't.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:01 pm

The New California Republic wrote:Splitting hairs. God was constantly on the case of the skeptics, as shown by his constant admonishment of people who disbelieved amongst the Jews. Moses threw down the tablets and smashed them because people had fell away from the teachings and embraced new beliefs. The only way they could fall away from the teachings is to have had some skepticism regarding them. Moses wasn't away for long enough for the Jews to forget their beliefs, he was only away for 40 days at a time. The Jews would have needed memories like sieves to simply forget their beliefs in that short time. Skepticism as part of our questioning nature is part and parcel of being human, so skeptics existed back then too.

You say historically speaking, yet archaeological records and well documented Egyptian administrations shows there were no mass slaves of Israelites in Egypt at anytime.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Korhal IVV
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:52 am

Celritannia wrote:
Coruscanti Nations wrote:They didn’t embrace new things. They were surrounded by idolatry in Egypt, remember? And just because the Tribe of Levi and whatnot are dedicated to Yahweh, historically speaking, the idolatrous saturation they experienced while under slavery (it can be assumed that they made temples for Egyptians gods as well) would have heavily affected their psyche. It is similar to what happened when Roman Catholicism was mixed with animistic beliefs in Latin America and in the Philippines. They weren’t exactly disbelieving and neither were they embracing anything new, because golden calves were originally an Egyptian thing. They were mixing things up, as Aaron said, “Look, Israel. This is the God that brought you out of Egypt.” They were accustomed to seeing material things for their belief, and it was difficult for them to be accustomed to an invisivle deity, and were reliant on Moses to sustain their faith.

You say historically speaking, yet archaeological records and well documented Egyptian administrations shows there were no mass slaves of Israelites in Egypt at anytime.

There might as well been just 60,000 males instead of 600,000. This kind of numerical innacuracy reflects in a wall killing 27,000 men and Israel having an army of 400,000. They might as well have been a small part of the workforce, and if anything, it was clear that Egypt was crawling with Semitic peoples, Israelite and otherwise.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:00 am

Korhal IVV wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

There might as well been just 60,000 males instead of 600,000. This kind of numerical innacuracy reflects in a wall killing 27,000 men and Israel having an army of 400,000. They might as well have been a small part of the workforce, and if anything, it was clear that Egypt was crawling with Semitic peoples, Israelite and otherwise.

According to what?

Wave on, wave on

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:07 am

Korhal IVV wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

The bold is a lie, and has already been thoroughly refuted by an actual archaeologist in this very thread.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General