NATION

PASSWORD

Why do/don't you believe in a higher power? (Any HP)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:50 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
I'll admit, arguing with a Hindu, sun-worshiper, neo-pagan, or wiccan on the nature of religion would be a nice change of pace.

Well I've made religious arguments in this thread about the nature of why I believe in my religion, no one chose to respond to them though.

Sorry about that buddy. I'm well versed on Bhuddism. Care to elaborate further?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:57 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
United Muscovite Nations wrote:Christianity would respond that God created the universe and all within it so that he could have something to love.

Boy, your god sure fucking likes vacuum, doesn't he?

Yea, and? Are you trying to argue that God doesn't exist simply because He has a fondness for emptiness?
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:02 pm

Hystaria wrote:...Cause my belief is to not belief/live around it until it is proven that it exists.

Its more likely dragons in some form existed than an all powerful space dude with a fetish of one planet and one species.

...I like to keep this civil, so please dont damn me or something. I have morals, I think the devil doesn't exist too. Im not against Christianity specifically, and no, my father did not have an influence on my ideas.

I am merely a dictionary atheist: a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

On the assumption that there's only life on Earth. In either case, fondness of empty space=/=non-existance

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:02 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Yea, and? Are you trying to argue that God doesn't exist simply because He has a fondness for emptiness?

Yes. If you're arguing the universe was intelligently designed by a being who was principally concerned with earth and one species on it the fact that EVERYTHING ELSE exists is fucking ridiculous.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:05 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
United Muscovite Nations wrote:Because there must have been something to set off the concentrated singularity, as otherwise presumably it would have remained as it was for eternity, as it would have nothing acting on it to cause it to change.

Why? Why, for example, could such a hot singularity not just spontaneously throw out a universe? We know that things happen spontaneously for no external reason all the damned time, so why not that one?

Why did it happen? If it was just sitting there for all eternity unchanging, why did it decide to change of a sudden

Thuzbekistan
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Thuzbekistan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:12 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Why? Why, for example, could such a hot singularity not just spontaneously throw out a universe? We know that things happen spontaneously for no external reason all the damned time, so why not that one?

Why did it happen? If it was just sitting there for all eternity unchanging, why did it decide to change of a sudden

Dont know. Scientists are still researching. Would you like us to claim or guess without evidence?
Proud Member of The Western Isles, the Best RP region on NS.
An RP I'm Proud of: Orsandian Civil War
An INTJ, -A/-T

Economic Left/Right: -5.0
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.72

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:14 pm

Kowani wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Except God specifically prevented Abraham from killing his son

If Abraham claimed that story today, he’d be put in an asylum.

Yes, and if God wanted to test Abraham's loyalty today, He would have given a different test.

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:16 pm

Thuzbekistan wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Why did it happen? If it was just sitting there for all eternity unchanging, why did it decide to change of a sudden

Dont know. Scientists are still researching. Would you like us to claim or guess without evidence?

Didn't you know? Everything we don't know is proof of his god.

"We don't know, therefore we know" sayth the Apologist.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:16 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Yes, and if God wanted to test Abraham's loyalty today, He would have given a different test.

Because people have less faith? I mean if God exists and says kill your kid should you do it?
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.

The National Salvation Front for Russia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The National Salvation Front for Russia » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:18 pm

I wonder how many Christians believe but cannot explain or justify their belief? I used to be a virulent atheist until I wasn't anymore. I can't explain the change, I can't point to one event that set me to faith, but there it is.

Anyone else have a similar experience (or lack of it)?
Russian Nationalist
Christian Democrat & Regionalist
Мы спасeм Россию!

Cлужить России - To Serve Russia
I support the Community for Democracy and Rights of Nations

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:18 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Godular wrote:

Also incorrect, we came up with mathematics to describe our own understanding of the universe, but that does not mean that mathematics itself is an independent entity. If anything, it suffers from similar shortcomings to science, in that it is limited by our perceptions on the matter. You cannot say that a triangle is a triangle always, or 2 + 2 = 4 always, because this is not in point of fact always so.

No, actually. A triangle is always a triangle, and 2 + 2 is always 4. No exceptions, ever. The first is a tautology, the latter a trivial consequence of the definitions of "2", "4", "+", and "=".

Mathematics does exist outside of humanity.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:20 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:If people are dickhead's, that's not God's fault.

Yes it literally is, just like if I buy a car and it breaks down within an hour than it's the designer's fault (as well as my own for getting a Chevy ayooooo)

Or the manufacturer's fault. Or the mechanic's fault. Or any number of persons, really

Dogmeat
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:21 pm

The National Salvation Front for Russia wrote:I wonder how many Christians believe but cannot explain or justify their belief? I used to be a virulent atheist until I wasn't anymore. I can't explain the change, I can't point to one event that set me to faith, but there it is.

Can't say I was ever "virulent," but my deconversion was brought about by my (at the time) fairly-serious girlfriend asking if I believed in God. I started to answer "yes" before realizing that I couldn't lie to her. Which is when I realized I didn't believe.

So yes, I can understand that.
Immortal God Dog
天狗

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:22 pm

Dogmeat wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Also, no, Job's suffering was Satan

Only if you've never read the Bible. God totally made a bet with Satan to do every bad thing he could think of to Job. You can't argue that's not on God.

Calling a "bet" is a very poor understanding of the situation of Job

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:23 pm

Page wrote:The whole notion of God judging us is ludicrous. If God is an omnipotent, omniscient being, then we are to God what bacteria are to us. Do you have any interest in which bacteria are good and which bacteria are sinful? We are infinitely closer to bacteria than we are to an all-powerful God. Compared to such a being, we are hardly even sentient.

If there's a God, the last thing he cares about is human affairs. That humans think a god would have human emotions like love and jealousy points to god being made by man.

I was racking my brain trying to think of why God created us. Obly reason I could think of was... well... to be totally honest.... boredom...

Dogmeat
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:25 pm

Dogmeat wrote:Only if you've never read the Bible. God totally made a bet with Satan to do every bad thing he could think of to Job. You can't argue that's not on God.

Calling a "bet" is a very poor understanding of the situation of Job

I don't trust your understanding of the Bible to any degree whatsoever. So far you have demonstrated nothing which leads me to believe you are more qualified to interpret the Bible then I am, and several thing which lead me to believe you are not.

And yeah, a "bet" is functionally what that was. Go back and read it if you don't believe me.
Immortal God Dog
天狗

Reverend Norv
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:26 pm

The National Salvation Front for Russia wrote:I wonder how many Christians believe but cannot explain or justify their belief? I used to be a virulent atheist until I wasn't anymore. I can't explain the change, I can't point to one event that set me to faith, but there it is.

I think that's how it happens for a lot of folks, myself included - though I was never an atheist per se, I didn't always have a living or defining faith. To this day, I certainly can't explain or justify my belief. I also don't feel any need to do so. I couldn't tell you why I fell in love, either, or why a very beautiful day will sometimes make me cry. The explanation's not the point.
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.
Col. Thomas Rainsborough, Putney Debates, 1647

A God who let us prove His existence would be an idol.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:27 pm

Dogmeat wrote:Can't say I was ever "virulent," but my deconversion was brought about by my (at the time) fairly-serious girlfriend asking if I believed in God. I started to answer "yes" before realizing that I couldn't lie to her. Which is when I realized I didn't believe.

I realized I that regardless of what I said I didn't actually think of religion as more than stories. I don't think most people who say they believe believe. I believe that if I pick up a rock and let go of it it's going to fall to the earth not float away. I don't think people believe in God the way they believe in Gravity.
Last edited by Des-Bal on Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dogmeat
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:28 pm

Genivaria wrote:Yes it literally is, just like if I buy a car and it breaks down within an hour than it's the designer's fault (as well as my own for getting a Chevy ayooooo)

Or the manufacturer's fault. Or the mechanic's fault. Or any number of persons, really

This is a lame attempt at a dodge. Putting aside that it is unlikely they brought the car to a mechanic "within an hour" of buying it, in order for your nitpick to apply to the analogy, you would have to postulate that God uses "mechanics."
Immortal God Dog
天狗

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:28 pm

Isn't this the same thing as the "why don't/do you believe in Allah SWT" thread? Was tye name changed or something?
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:29 pm

Kyoki Chudoku wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:If God didn't tell people how to act, fewer people would act compassionately

This sort of argument kind of really irks me. How can we make that sort of judgment? I mean, we don’t know that God exists, let alone whether he tells people how to act. And we can’t just blame everything negative- e.g, committing murder- on the people themselves, and say all the nice parts are the work of all-powerful deity. So even if they did exist, they’d be responsible for all actions humanity undertakes, good and bad. Even if you bring up free will, if they’re an all-powerful deity, they would be omniscient and therefore know exactly what everyone would do, including all the bad things, and still let it pass.

Now, I’m guessing that stuff has probably already been brought up at this point in the thread, but I’m tired and saw this and was compelled to respond. So yeah.

No. You misunderstand. Some people need religion in order to be good. Were it not for religion, these people wouldn't be good. Whether or not their faith is true, they believe it strongly enough to obey it and comit good acts that they wouldn't have otherwise comitted. Same applies to people who use religion for evil (unless of cource, their evil interpretations of their holy book is intentionally interpreted with malice)

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:29 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Isn't this the same thing as the "why don't/do you believe in Allah SWT" thread? Was tye name changed or something?

<.<

It's always had this title.

>.>
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:30 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:Can't say I was ever "virulent," but my deconversion was brought about by my (at the time) fairly-serious girlfriend asking if I believed in God. I started to answer "yes" before realizing that I couldn't lie to her. Which is when I realized I didn't believe.

I realized I that regardless of what I said I didn't actually think of religion as more than stories. I don't think most people who say they believe believe. I believe that if I pick up a rock and let go of it it's going to fall to the earth not float away. I don't think people believe in God the way they believe in Gravity.

What are you trying to say?
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Dogmeat
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:30 pm

Des-Bal wrote:

You should try living in a Bethesda engine. That rock could go anywhere.
Immortal God Dog
天狗

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:31 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:If God didn't tell people how to act, fewer people would act compassionately

So, those good Christians who step over the homeless man on their way home from the sermon about loving their neighbour would feel free to spit on the homeless man without the Bible?

Or those atheistic doctors working on cures for cancer would just go "nah, don't feel like it, mate" if science could ever prove they were correct?

Wouldn't that say more about the individuals than the existence of God?

Yes, which was the point that I was trying to make

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General