NATION

PASSWORD

Why do/don't you believe in a higher power? (Any HP)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:44 pm

Free Arabian Nation wrote:
Geneviev wrote:That is God answering their prayer through you. God sends people to do his will.

Why does he gotta use humans to do his will? Isn't he omnipotent? Can't he just make it rain food whenever he wants to?

He could technically do that, and he did in the Bible. But God doesn't always intervene that directly. That's why it's important to do his will.

Andsed wrote:
Geneviev wrote:That is God answering their prayer through you. God sends people to do his will.

No it is not. Humans have free will remember? These are humans helping out fellow humans. Not god doing anything.

Humans are helping fellow humans because God told them to. They're pretty much missionaries.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Free Arabian Nation
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Arabian Nation » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:45 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Free Arabian Nation wrote:Why does he gotta use humans to do his will? Isn't he omnipotent? Can't he just make it rain food whenever he wants to?

He could technically do that, and he did in the Bible. But God doesn't always intervene that directly. That's why it's important to do his will.

Because if they didn't, their prayers would not be answered and God would just let these people die. Gotcha
العرب الأحرار
I don't use NS Stats, for they are against the will of Liberty and God.

News
Open to TGs

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:46 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Free Arabian Nation wrote:Why does he gotta use humans to do his will? Isn't he omnipotent? Can't he just make it rain food whenever he wants to?

Andsed wrote:No it is not. Humans have free will remember? These are humans helping out fellow humans. Not god doing anything.

Humans are helping fellow humans because God told them to. They're pretty much missionaries.

Bullshit. No where on their site does it say that. It's only reference to religion is saying how they were inspired by Jesus.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:47 pm

Geneviev wrote:He could technically do that, and he did in the Bible. But God doesn't always intervene that directly. That's why it's important to do his will.

Because if they didn't, their prayers would not be answered and God would just let these people die. Gotcha

Either God would intervene directly then, or he would accept free will.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:47 pm

San Carlos Islands wrote:
Aglanen wrote:
To be fair, that argument is quite exhausted. It always goes like this.

Atheist: “There is no evidence for god.”
Christian: “YES THERE IS!”
Atheist: “Okay, show me.”
Christian: “Uh... EVERYTHING OF COURSE!”
Atheist: “That makes no sense.”
Christian: “ EVERYTHINNNNGGGG”
Atheist: “Care to elaborate?”
Christian: “ WELL THE BIBLE SAYS...”
Atheist: "A book is not evidence."
Christian: "Well...you have no evidence HE DOESN'T EXIST! SO THEREFORE HE EXIST! Checkmate atheist."

At the end of the day, it all comes down to how you think we were created, no one can really answer that. So believing or not really doesn't matter.

We absolutely can answer that.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:48 pm

San Carlos Islands wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
Quick thing but created has implications I do not agree with. Also, when you mean we do you mean humans or the universe? Also are you saying we can never figure it out?

The universe. I look at it from a pragmatic stance. You can keep breaking the big bang, then the pre-big bang particles, etc. down until you get to a place where you don't know how things started. I fill that place in with a faith-based belief and do believe in a God. However, there is merit to what Athiests want to believe just as much merit there is to what I believe. To answer your last question, we may learn, we may not; I'll certainly know after death.

You certainly won't know: you won't have a brain to store the knowledge in.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Free Arabian Nation
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Arabian Nation » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:48 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Free Arabian Nation wrote:Because if they didn't, their prayers would not be answered and God would just let these people die. Gotcha

Either God would intervene directly then, or he would accept free will.

So, it is free will then and not god directly helping these people and answering their prayers?
العرب الأحرار

News
Open to TGs

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:48 pm

Andsed wrote:
Geneviev wrote:He could technically do that, and he did in the Bible. But God doesn't always intervene that directly. That's why it's important to do his will.

Bullshit. No where on their site does it say that. It's only reference to religion is saying how they were inspired by Jesus.

Yes, exactly, God told them to do the work.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:49 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Andsed wrote:Bullshit. No where on their site does it say that. It's only reference to religion is saying how they were inspired by Jesus.

Uh no. They read the bible and were inspired by it. Being inspired by something and being told to do something are two different thing.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Free Arabian Nation
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Arabian Nation » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:50 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Andsed wrote:Bullshit. No where on their site does it say that. It's only reference to religion is saying how they were inspired by Jesus.

He told them to, he didn't make them do it

A person can tell me to go walk across the street to a nice restaurant, but my choice to eat there is by my own free will. Even if that person is my father
العرب الأحرار

News
Open to TGs

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:51 pm

Geneviev wrote:Either God would intervene directly then, or he would accept free will.

So, it is free will then and not god directly helping these people and answering their prayers?

It's God telling someone else to do something to answer the prayer, and if that person doesn't do it then God might or might not intervene directly.

Andsed wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Yes, exactly, God told them to do the work.

Uh no. They read the bible and were inspired by it. Being inspired by something and being told to do something are two different thing.

Being divinely inspired is being told to do something by God.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:53 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Free Arabian Nation wrote:So, it is free will then and not god directly helping these people and answering their prayers?

It's God telling someone else to do something to answer the prayer, and if that person doesn't do it then God might or might not intervene directly.

Andsed wrote:Uh no. They read the bible and were inspired by it. Being inspired by something and being told to do something are two different thing.

No it is reading a book and getting inspired to do something good by it. God had nothing to do with this.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:53 pm

Geneviev wrote:

If humans get blamed for using their free will to do things god does not like then humans also get credit for doing things god does like, and none of it is god taking action. So no, god is not fulfilling any prayers, that would be humans fulfilling someone's prayer but because we are limited being unable to fulfill all prayers. God seems rather...impotent.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Free Arabian Nation
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Arabian Nation » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:54 pm

Geneviev wrote:Being divinely inspired is being told to do something by God.

I can tell- "Inspire" my, hypothetical, son to build a house for my needy friend. Was that house built by me? No, it wasn't. It was my son's actions and my friend should be thanking the son and not my up-my-own-ass arrogant self.

I would also like to point out the fallacy that only prayers made to Yahweh are answered. No, there are plenty of stories from Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Pagans, and many others praying to their respective god(s) and also getting what they want.
Last edited by Free Arabian Nation on Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
العرب الأحرار

News
Open to TGs

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:55 pm

Korhal IVV wrote:
Aglanen wrote:
To be fair, that argument is quite exhausted. It always goes like this.

Atheist: “There is no evidence for god.”
Christian: “YES THERE IS!”
Atheist: “Okay, show me.”
Christian: “Uh... EVERYTHING OF COURSE!”
Atheist: “That makes no sense.”
Christian: “ EVERYTHINNNNGGGG”
Atheist: “Care to elaborate?”
Christian: “ WELL THE BIBLE SAYS...”
Atheist: "A book is not evidence."
Christian: "Well...you have no evidence HE DOESN'T EXIST! SO THEREFORE HE EXIST! Checkmate atheist."

“Everything” would more or less refer to the created order of the universe.

If the universe has a "created order", then we can conclude something about the preferences of the creator:

1. This creator is fucking obsessed with Hydrogen and Helium. Seriously, 97.9% of the mass of the universe.
2. This creator is also a massive fan of empty space.
3. Third on the list of favourites comes "barren lifeless rock".
4. If we restrict to living things, then this creator really, really likes microbes, earthworms, krill, fungi, and trees. Humans don't even begin to make it onto into that list.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:57 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Korhal IVV wrote:“Everything” would more or less refer to the created order of the universe.

If the universe has a "created order", then we can conclude something about the preferences of the creator:

1. This creator is fucking obsessed with Hydrogen and Helium. Seriously, 97.9% of the mass of the universe.
4. If we restrict to living things, then this creator really, really likes microbes, earthworms, krill, fungi, and trees. Humans don't even begin to make it onto into that list.

Don't forget beetles.
Just A Little though

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:57 pm

He told them to, he didn't make them do it

A person can tell me to go walk across the street to a nice restaurant, but my choice to eat there is by my own free will. Even if that person is my father

That's true.

Andsed wrote:
Geneviev wrote:It's God telling someone else to do something to answer the prayer, and if that person doesn't do it then God might or might not intervene directly.

No it is reading a book and getting inspired to do something good by it. God had nothing to do with this.

World Vision themselves call it divine inspiration.

Neutraligon wrote:

If humans get blamed for using their free will to do things god does not like then humans also get credit for doing things god does like, and none of it is god taking action. So no, god is not fulfilling any prayers, that would be humans fulfilling someone's prayer but because we are limited being unable to fulfill all prayers. God seems rather...impotent.

God is fulfilling prayers through people. That's how he usually fulfills prayers. And humans who do what God commands will be rewarded in heaven, so they do get credit for what they're doing. But it still comes from God.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:03 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Don't forget beetles.

Beetles are objectively really cool, though, so having them near the top of the list is understandable.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:03 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Free Arabian Nation wrote:He told them to, he didn't make them do it

That's true.

Andsed wrote:No it is reading a book and getting inspired to do something good by it. God had nothing to do with this.

Neutraligon wrote:If humans get blamed for using their free will to do things god does not like then humans also get credit for doing things god does like, and none of it is god taking action. So no, god is not fulfilling any prayers, that would be humans fulfilling someone's prayer but because we are limited being unable to fulfill all prayers. God seems rather...impotent.

God is fulfilling prayers through people. That's how he usually fulfills prayers. And humans who do what God commands will be rewarded in heaven, so they do get credit for what they're doing. But it still comes from God.

If humans doing something like that is god fulfilling prayer, then humans not doing things (and god also not doing anything directly) is god not fulfilling prayers. You don't get to give god credit for the good while excusing him from the bad.
Just A Little though

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:09 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Geneviev wrote:That's true.

If humans doing something like that is god fulfilling prayer, then humans not doing things (and god also not doing anything directly) is god not fulfilling prayers. You don't get to give god credit for the good while excusing him from the bad.

When people don't do what God wants, it's not God's fault. He can't do anything to force them without interfering with their free will.

Free Arabian Nation
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Arabian Nation » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:11 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:If humans doing something like that is god fulfilling prayer, then humans not doing things (and god also not doing anything directly) is god not fulfilling prayers. You don't get to give god credit for the good while excusing him from the bad.

When people don't do what God wants, it's not God's fault. He can't do anything to force them without interfering with their free will.

So he's not answering prayers, he's just gambling that some person will listen to him and do his will?
العرب الأحرار

News
Open to TGs

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:13 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:If humans doing something like that is god fulfilling prayer, then humans not doing things (and god also not doing anything directly) is god not fulfilling prayers. You don't get to give god credit for the good while excusing him from the bad.

Then by the same logic he is not answering people's prayers, since he also cannot force anyone to do anything. So once again that is not god answering prayers, that is humans answering prayers.
Just A Little though

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:14 pm

Geneviev wrote:When people don't do what God wants, it's not God's fault. He can't do anything to force them without interfering with their free will.

So he's not answering prayers, he's just gambling that some person will listen to him and do his will?

Close enough. He's doing what is going to answer the prayer, and that's why the Bible says Christians must obey God.

Neutraligon wrote:
Geneviev wrote:When people don't do what God wants, it's not God's fault. He can't do anything to force them without interfering with their free will.

Then by the same logic he is not answering people's prayers, since he also cannot force anyone to do anything. So once again that is not god answering prayers, that is humans answering prayers.

God is instructing humans to answer prayers. They wouldn't know what to do otherwise.

Free Arabian Nation
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Arabian Nation » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:15 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Free Arabian Nation wrote:So he's not answering prayers, he's just gambling that some person will listen to him and do his will?

Close enough. He's doing what is going to answer the prayer, and that's why the Bible says Christians must obey God.

And if the Christian doesn't obey? Like if he's sick or something? And by the time god finds a replacement, it's far too late for the prayer to be answered?
العرب الأحرار

News
Open to TGs

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:17 pm

Geneviev wrote:Close enough. He's doing what is going to answer the prayer, and that's why the Bible says Christians must obey God.

And if the Christian doesn't obey? Like if he's sick or something? And by the time god finds a replacement, it's far too late for the prayer to be answered?

God will find someone else or intervene directly if he has to. Sometimes he doesn't.

And the Christian should always obey.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General