NATION

PASSWORD

Why do/don't you believe in a higher power? (Any HP)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:43 am

Frievolk wrote:
Andsed wrote:Also why did does god only seem to answer certain prayers? I mean he clearly does not answer kids in Africa prayers so why did he choose to answer yours?

In the words of a person who I genuinely don't like too much,

A particular prayer in a particular church, in a particular style with a particular stuff, and for particular problems that aren't particularly tough, [...]; A particular prayer in a particular spot, to a particular version of a particular god; and if you get that right, he just might take a break from giving babies malaria and pop down to your local area to fix the cataracts of your mum!

Nice.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:53 am

I don’t personally believe but I think it’s entirely possible God exists.

I can see the appeal though. A powerful, honorable Ned Stark like figure watching all of us and protecting us from evil. You have a direct cell phone line through prayer so you are never alone. When life gets bad, you can ask for counsel from Gor or his servants.

Really comforting stuff, plus the feeling of practical immortality and invulnerability (if you strike me down, I will go to heaven for eternity)
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:01 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:You have a direct cell phone line through prayer so you are never alone.

It's more akin to leaving tons of voicemails on someone's phone and they never reply to you; you don't even get a confirmation that you have got through to the right person or even that your call has got through at all...

Infected Mushroom wrote:When life gets bad, you can ask for counsel from Gor.

Who is this Gor fellow? He sounds dreamy. He also sounds like an orc.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:06 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:You have a direct cell phone line through prayer so you are never alone.

It's more akin to leaving tons of voicemails on someone's phone and they never reply to you; you don't even get a confirmation that you have got through to the right person or even that your call has got through at all...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gor

It’s a series of sword-and-planet science fantasy novels, but with themes of male-dominant BDSM.
< THE HIGH SWAGLORD | 8VALUES | POLITISCALES >
My NS stats are not indicative of my OOC views. NS stats are meant to be rather silly. My OOC political and ideological inspirations are as such:
The Republic, by Plato | Leviathan, by Thomas Hobbes | The Confucian civil service system of imperial China | The "Golden Liberty" elective
monarchy system of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth | The corporatist/technocratic philosophy of Henri de Saint-Simon | The communitarian
ideological framework of the Singaporean People's Action Party | "New Deal"-style societal regimentation | Kantian/Mohist/Stoic philosophy

Korhal IVV
Senator

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:08 am

Obviously a typo.
ABTH Music Education ~ AB Journalism ~ RPer ~ Keyboard Warrior ~ Futurist ~ INTJ

Economic Left/Right: -0.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
Supports: Christianity, economic development, democracy, common sense, vaccines, space colonization, and health programs
Against: Adding 100 genders, Gay marriage in a church, heresy, Nazism, abortion for no good reason, anti-vaxxers, SJW liberals, and indecency
This nation does reflect my real-life beliefs.
My vocabulary is stranger than a Tzeentchian sorceror. Bare with me.

"Whatever a person may be like, we must still love them because we love God." ~ John Calvin

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:08 am

The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:It's more akin to leaving tons of voicemails on someone's phone and they never reply to you; you don't even get a confirmation that you have got through to the right person or even that your call has got through at all...

It’s a series of sword-and-planet science fantasy novels, but with themes of male-dominant BDSM.

. . .

Is there a place to hide right now?

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:09 am

Korhal IVV wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:It's more akin to leaving tons of voicemails on someone's phone and they never reply to you; you don't even get a confirmation that you have got through to the right person or even that your call has got through at all...

Obviously a typo.

Hmmm... no comment

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:09 am

The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Who is this Gor fellow? He sounds dreamy. He also sounds like an orc.

I changed my mind, I do not want this. :?
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Korhal IVV
Senator

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:13 am

The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gor

I changed my mind, I do not want this. :?

By the Emperor, you have brought heresy to this thread!
ABTH Music Education ~ AB Journalism ~ RPer ~ Keyboard Warrior ~ Futurist ~ INTJ

Economic Left/Right: -0.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
Supports: Christianity, economic development, democracy, common sense, vaccines, space colonization, and health programs
Against: Adding 100 genders, Gay marriage in a church, heresy, Nazism, abortion for no good reason, anti-vaxxers, SJW liberals, and indecency
This nation does reflect my real-life beliefs.
My vocabulary is stranger than a Tzeentchian sorceror. Bare with me.

"Whatever a person may be like, we must still love them because we love God." ~ John Calvin

Ausinia
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ausinia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:25 pm

Man, i just love my school hammering religion into my head, that I didn’t ask for, an don’t want.
I’m sure a couple of my friends feel the same way
[url]Discord, cus why not [To be fixed][/url]
-Astoria wrote:‘WE'RE NOT COMMUNISTS, DAMMIT!’

Then explain the hammer-and-sickle on your flag. Otherwise, X.
This nation does not completely agree with my views.
Cooperation, Command, Control
THE UNITED COMMONWEALTH of AUSINIA
The Ausinian National:Due to recent baby booms in Ausinia, a general board has being formed, the leaders in new ways of fair population control. Suggested methods already include standardised testing in schools, for the most fit and intelligent to stand out.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:05 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:
Geneviev wrote:1. People have seen heaven and come back. It's the same as when other people go to Belgium and then say it's real. And the book of Revelation is like a map.
2. I assumed debate in that list is if you argue with people. At least that's how my church interprets it.
3. Prideful Christians sin because pride is a sin, but that toddler wouldn't be actually disobedient.
4. Lying will always hurt someone, so God doesn't want that.
5. Jokes aren't useful for the kingdom of God. They shouldn't be a sin, technically, but that isn't necessary.

1. Near Death Experiences may have a biological basis in neural activity. They do not necessarily make heaven real. The veracity of Belgium is confirmed (and Belgium can be visited at will by anyone with a spare weekend and some spare cash -- you can't say that for Heaven). And the Book of Revelations is not the same as the topographical map.
2. All debate involves taking an opposite stance and arguing your point. When people have opposing views and take different sides in a debate, there is always argument involved. Even when it is civil.
3. My point on the Christians was more about hypocrisy. What if the toddler persistently refused. Some conservative Christians would argue the child was being disobedient and believe in "training up a child"(even of babies only a few months old -- discretion advised)
4. "Yes, your backside does look absolutely huge in that" hurts less than, "Of course your bum doesn't look big in that, but I saw something over there that would look even better?" :eyebrow:
5. It's listed as a sin (along with fornication, adulterousness, covetousness -- again -- filthiness and foolish-talk), so the Bible's wrong? 3-7 says:
But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks. For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. Be not ye therefore partakers with them.

"Wrath of God" sounds pretty strong. And, I have to say that Heaven sounds pretty miserable with no jollity.

Incidentally, humour is always necessary. It makes life better.

1. The Book of Revelations shows what Heaven looks like. It's the same idea. And near death experiences where someone sees heaven exactly as the Bible describes it aren't a coincidence.
2. What I meant is if it's dividing the church or hurting the church somehow.
3. I'm sure if God created people, he would be aware that the toddler isn't aware of what he's doing. And what's in that link isn't something that Christians should ever agree with, since the Bible says fathers shouldn't exasperate their children.
4. It's better to be honest, yes.
5. It's not listed as a sin, it's just recommended that you don't waste time. But I believe that God needed some humor to make people.

Andsed wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:One can say for certain that if you were in a coma from an infection then you would have had some high-level medical interventions to keep you alive. It is rare to be rendered comatose by a pathogen and to pull through without medical care. With prayer alone you would almost certainly be dead.

Also why did does god only seem to answer certain prayers? I mean he clearly does not answer kids in Africa prayers so why did he choose to answer yours?

He answers all prayers, but sometimes he has a better plan.

Thuzbekistan wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Christians have to do that you know.

Only cuz you think you have too.

And so does the Bible.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:08 pm

Geneviev wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:1. Near Death Experiences may have a biological basis in neural activity. They do not necessarily make heaven real. The veracity of Belgium is confirmed (and Belgium can be visited at will by anyone with a spare weekend and some spare cash -- you can't say that for Heaven). And the Book of Revelations is not the same as the topographical map.
2. All debate involves taking an opposite stance and arguing your point. When people have opposing views and take different sides in a debate, there is always argument involved. Even when it is civil.
3. My point on the Christians was more about hypocrisy. What if the toddler persistently refused. Some conservative Christians would argue the child was being disobedient and believe in "training up a child"(even of babies only a few months old -- discretion advised)
4. "Yes, your backside does look absolutely huge in that" hurts less than, "Of course your bum doesn't look big in that, but I saw something over there that would look even better?" :eyebrow:
5. It's listed as a sin (along with fornication, adulterousness, covetousness -- again -- filthiness and foolish-talk), so the Bible's wrong? 3-7 says:
But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks. For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. Be not ye therefore partakers with them.

"Wrath of God" sounds pretty strong. And, I have to say that Heaven sounds pretty miserable with no jollity.

Incidentally, humour is always necessary. It makes life better.

1. The Book of Revelations shows what Heaven looks like. It's the same idea. And near death experiences where someone sees heaven exactly as the Bible describes it aren't a coincidence.
3. I'm sure if God created people, he would be aware that the toddler isn't aware of what he's doing. And what's in that link isn't something that Christians should ever agree with, since the Bible says fathers shouldn't exasperate their children.
5. It's not listed as a sin, it's just recommended that you don't waste time. But I believe that God needed some humor to make people.

Andsed wrote:Also why did does god only seem to answer certain prayers? I mean he clearly does not answer kids in Africa prayers so why did he choose to answer yours?

Thuzbekistan wrote:Only cuz you think you have too.

And so does the Bible.

No he does not. He has done nothing to help the kids in Africa or any other people in poor places in the world.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:12 pm

Andsed wrote:
Geneviev wrote:1. The Book of Revelations shows what Heaven looks like. It's the same idea. And near death experiences where someone sees heaven exactly as the Bible describes it aren't a coincidence.

And so does the Bible.

No he does not. He has done nothing to help the kids in Africa or any other people in poor places in the world.

He has done a lot. You might not know about it.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Free Arabian Nation
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Arabian Nation » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:15 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Andsed wrote:No he does not. He has done nothing to help the kids in Africa or any other people in poor places in the world.

He has done a lot. You might not know about it.

Starving a kid to death who prays to food is not answering prayers, that's being misleading at best and cruel at worst.
العرب الأحرار
I don't use NS Stats, for they are against the will of Liberty and God.

News
Open to TGs

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:17 pm

Free Arabian Nation wrote:
Geneviev wrote:He has done a lot. You might not know about it.

Starving a kid to death who prays to food is not answering prayers, that's being misleading at best and cruel at worst.

He also miraculously feeds and heals them.

Free Arabian Nation
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Arabian Nation » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:20 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Free Arabian Nation wrote:Starving a kid to death who prays to food is not answering prayers, that's being misleading at best and cruel at worst.

Whataboutism is not gonna get you anywhere

The fact of the matter is is that there are billions of people across the globe praying for things as minute as finding their car keys to praying they have enough food to last another day. Not everyone finds their car keys and not everyone gets food. This Yahweh guy does not answer all prayers, and if he does, he sucks/is malicious at it.
العرب الأحرار

News
Open to TGs

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:26 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Free Arabian Nation wrote:Starving a kid to death who prays to food is not answering prayers, that's being misleading at best and cruel at worst.

No he does not. The people who feed and help them or other humans. God has nothing to do with all of the great people helping those in poverty. In fact if one of those people is atheist he sends them to hell.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:28 pm

Geneviev wrote:He also miraculously feeds and heals them.

Whataboutism is not gonna get you anywhere

The fact of the matter is is that there are billions of people across the globe praying for things as minute as finding their car keys to praying they have enough food to last another day. Not everyone finds their car keys and not everyone gets food. This Yahweh guy does not answer all prayers, and if he does, he sucks/is malicious at it.

God doesn't always give people what they want. I don't know why. But he definitely has answered a lot of prayers in ways that should have been impossible, and that includes the starving children praying for food.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:29 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Free Arabian Nation wrote:Whataboutism is not gonna get you anywhere

God doesn't always give people what they want. I don't know why. But he definitely has answered a lot of prayers in ways that should have been impossible, and that includes the starving children praying for food.

Oh really? Please provide us a link showing this.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:34 pm

Andsed wrote:
Geneviev wrote:God doesn't always give people what they want. I don't know why. But he definitely has answered a lot of prayers in ways that should have been impossible, and that includes the starving children praying for food.

Oh really? Please provide us a link showing this.

What these people are doing. Most miracles sadly aren't recorded.

Free Arabian Nation
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Arabian Nation » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:36 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Andsed wrote:Oh really? Please provide us a link showing this.

Yes, humans giving people food out of their good, but free, will

That has nothing to do with answering prayers. If I went to Africa and gave a kid a Chicken Leg, that does not mean a god granted their prayer for food. It just means I went to Africa and gave them a Chicken Leg.
العرب الأحرار

News
Open to TGs

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:38 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Andsed wrote:Oh really? Please provide us a link showing this.

Uh no. That is not god that is humans helping out fellow humans. God has nothing to do with this.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:38 pm

Geneviev wrote:What these people are doing. Most miracles sadly aren't recorded.

Yes, humans giving people food out of their good, but free, will

That has nothing to do with answering prayers. If I went to Africa and gave a kid a Chicken Leg, that does not mean a god granted their prayer for food. It just means I went to Africa and gave them a Chicken Leg.

That is God answering their prayer through you. God sends people to do his will.

Free Arabian Nation
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Arabian Nation » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:40 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Free Arabian Nation wrote:Yes, humans giving people food out of their good, but free, will

That is God answering their prayer through you. God sends people to do his will.

Why does he gotta use humans to do his will? Isn't he omnipotent? Can't he just make it rain food whenever he wants to?
العرب الأحرار

News
Open to TGs

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:41 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Free Arabian Nation wrote:Yes, humans giving people food out of their good, but free, will

No it is not. Humans have free will remember? These are humans helping out fellow humans. Not god doing anything.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General