NATION

PASSWORD

Why do/don't you believe in a higher power? (Any HP)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
New Legland
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 155
Founded: Apr 21, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Legland » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:04 am

Telcz wrote:Jesus Christ is the only way to salvation. Accept Christ and trust Him as your savior, and you'll be saved forever!

Some proofs are:

* the prophesy of Jesus Christ in the old testament

I know I'm not acknowledging your other pieces of evidence, but those require more time and effort to address and research, and I don't have the time for that. As for this one... just, no. You can't marvel at a prophecy in a text that was fulfilled in the same text. That's as illogical as saying God is real because the Bible says so and that the Bible is true because it's God's word.
Telcz wrote:* NDEs

Testimonials aren't proof and hallucinations are a thing. People of many different faiths have near-death experiences that supposedly support their beliefs. There's nothing that makes those that support yours any more significant.
Last edited by New Legland on Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
don't expect much of me

User avatar
Page
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8891
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:05 am

Heraswed wrote:Whenever I hear theists try to argue in favour of God, or Allah or whatever, they often try to define atheists as people 'hurt by the faith' or something of that ilk. Now, in most cases, this is untrue, however I, in a loose sense, fit this description.


Even worse are the ones who say atheists are people who are angry at God. Christian movies are infamous for this, and the great, hilarious irony is that in almost every Christian movie ever made, the atheist villain isn't an atheist at all. In fact, I don't know of any Christian movie where the atheist is actually an atheist.

It's always like "My daughter died of cancer so I hate God and now I try to get people to not believe in God because he let my kid die!" Dude, that's not an atheist. Being angry at God and being an atheist are mutually exclusive.

Also, good to see another Telltale subscribe here. I have learned a lot about Jehovah's Witnesses since I discovered his channel, I honestly had no idea just how extreme they are - they make Mormons look like Unitarian Universalists.
I am a libertarian socialist.
I am ungovernable.
I owe no allegiance to any state.
I am bound to my conscience, not to the law.
I stand for liberty, justice, and peace.

User avatar
Salandriagado
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17500
Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Salandriagado » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:19 am

Telcz wrote:Jesus Christ is the only way to salvation. Accept Christ and trust Him as your savior, and you'll be saved forever!

Some proofs are:

* the shroud of Turin


It's a dirty bit of cloth.

* stigmata


Trivial to fake.

* the prophesy of Jesus Christ in the old testament


Jesus, as described in the new testament, does not fulfill it.

* NDEs


Are fucking dreams.

and many more.


Got any that aren't blatant bullshit?
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

User avatar
Geneviev
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8320
Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Geneviev » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:15 pm

Telcz wrote:Jesus Christ is the only way to salvation. Accept Christ and trust Him as your savior, and you'll be saved forever!

Some proofs are:

* the shroud of Turin
* stigmata
* the prophesy of Jesus Christ in the old testament
* NDEs

and many more.

Not to mention miraculous healings.
Give music to dementia patients
Bring music education back to schools
"When words fail, music speaks." -Shakespeare
"Music expresses feeling and thought, without language; it was below and before speech, and it is above and beyond all words." -Robert G. Ingersoll
Now 15 years old. Listen to music and have a nice day.

User avatar
Tharramides
Civil Servant
 
Posts: 8
Founded: Jan 19, 2019
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Tharramides » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:20 pm

I don't hold any faith because there's no concrete proof that they exist and since it cannot be proven that there is a higher power, I'm unwilling to devote myself to it.

User avatar
Thuzbekistan
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1354
Founded: Dec 29, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Thuzbekistan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:22 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
Thuzbekistan wrote:You cant just say "in English" and act like that saved you. You're gonna have to go back to the oldest copies you have and explain how this creation myth is just bad translation.

I'm not a theologist, and am not qualified to do that. You're not either

Then don't assert it as a defense if you cannot defend it.

Australian rePublic wrote:Sorry about not replying to the aliens question, but I was like 15 pages behind in reading this thread when I posted it, and it takes time to formulate a response. I have a life outside of this thread. So here we go. I won't reply to all of them individually, as they're all similar, so here we go:

1. Do we humans know every creature that exists on this planet? Do we know every creature that exists in the ocean? If the answer is no, then we move on to the next question...

2. If we are incapable of knowing every creature on our planet, then how are we capable of knowing what lies outside our galaxy? We don't. We can't even imagine what life in other galaxies would look like. If we saw a creature from a different galaxy, would we even recognise it as human life? If not

3. If we would be unable to determine whether or not a creature that shares a universe with us constitues as life, how are we going to determine whether or not a creature which exists outside of time and space exists. If we can't even identify a creature within time and space, how are we going to identify a creature outside of time and space? Now, if that (for lack of a better word) "creature" wishes to interact with us, and we keep an open mind, we can see its interactions. If it decides to manifest itself to us, then we can identify it as conscious. Otherwise, how would we be able to identify it. Considering that we can't even agree about whether or not a virus, an organism which lives inside us, is alive, how will be able to indentify the conscious of something which exists outside of time and space? Now all of this assumes that anythibg exists outside of time and space. Which I'll address in my next point:

4. Many here believe in the concept of a multiverse. If you don't believe in the multiverse, then fine, you can argue that nothing exists outside of time and space. If you do believe ina multiverse, then, by definition, things do exist outside of time and space. The various universes exist outside of time and space. Now, if multiple universes exist, there may be an overseer overlooking one or more of these universe. This overseer, would probably be god. Now, if multiple universes don't exist then it's still possible that sentient being/s exist outside of time and space. If we can't even prove whether or not aliens exist in time and space, how would we even beging to know how to prove the existence of something outside of time and space? The only thing we could do is examine our lives, and try to determine whether or not its interacting with us in a such a manner that said interaction is not apparent, unless we actively look for it with an open mind.


The answer to this supposed dilemma is simple: Don't believe things that don't have evidence for their existence and assume you know nothing in comparison to what you can learn and always base what you think you know on the evidence before you. If you want to answer a question, pursue the evidence for it.

Regardless, you set up a string of assumptions and questions that don't really flow together and don't necessarily lead to the ignorance you are trying to display. But whatever. I'll bite.

1. Do we humans know every creature that exists on this planet? Do we know every creature that exists in the ocean? If the answer is no, then we move on to the next question...


The number of organic lifeforms on this planet is finite, but changing. It is possible, if we develop the technologies and traverse every square inch of the Earth, to discover every species on Earth. However, due to the nature of such exploration, we can never say for certain that we have found all life on this planet. This doesn't mean anything, but let's see where you go.

2. If we are incapable of knowing every creature on our planet, then how are we capable of knowing what lies outside our galaxy? We don't. We can't even imagine what life in other galaxies would look like. If we saw a creature from a different galaxy, would we even recognise it as human life? If not

We are not incapable, it is just difficult to do so and would require a lot of work and effort and new technologies to possibly see what is below. It's possible we may never know as there are some places we cannot physically go. As for the second part of your question regarding extraterrestrial life, I think you forget that life HAS to be built up of chemicals and molecules that already exist in the universe and they HAVE to obey the laws of this universe because we are in this universe. Galaxies are mostly just like the Milky way in so much as they are built with all the same things. So, if there is life out there, we would probably recognize it as life as we have already described the behavior of things which are alive. According to this, an individual is called an organism if it displays all of the following:
• respond to their environment
• grow and change
• reproduce and have offspring
• have a complex chemistry
• maintain homeostasis
• are built of structures called cells
• pass their traits onto their offspring

So, as long as it responds to this, I'm sure we can decide whether something is alive. And, while NASA is looking at the various possible ways that life COULD develop, the only one we know of right now is carbon based. So, I imagine alien life would resemble us in the basic characteristics of life and in structure.

3. If we would be unable to determine whether or not a creature that shares a universe with us constitues as life, how are we going to determine whether or not a creature which exists outside of time and space exists. If we can't even identify a creature within time and space, how are we going to identify a creature outside of time and space? Now, if that (for lack of a better word) "creature" wishes to interact with us, and we keep an open mind, we can see its interactions. If it decides to manifest itself to us, then we can identify it as conscious. Otherwise, how would we be able to identify it. Considering that we can't even agree about whether or not a virus, an organism which lives inside us, is alive, how will be able to indentify the conscious of something which exists outside of time and space? Now all of this assumes that anythibg exists outside of time and space. Which I'll address in my next point:

1. We can determine what is alive or not. We created the definition and we classified it.
2. No one can determine that such a being outside of time and space exists because it would not offer any evidence of existing in our universe unless it acted upon the universe, which we could then measure the effect of that action on our universe and rule out all other options. Given that the Christian God among many others have acted on our universe in their books and supposedly act all around the world, its amazing that there is always a natural explanation for any supernatural claims or we find that those things which were claimed to have happened either a) don't happen at all or b) don't happen in the way they were described and have a natural explanation.
3. If this creature made itself known to us, it would HAVE to manifest itself in the physical reality in which we exist, thus it could be scientifically measured and detected.
4. A Virus is alive. An organism is alive by definition.
5. Because if something is alive, it has the characteristics seen above.

4. Many here believe in the concept of a multiverse. If you don't believe in the multiverse, then fine, you can argue that nothing exists outside of time and space. If you do believe ina multiverse, then, by definition, things do exist outside of time and space. The various universes exist outside of time and space. Now, if multiple universes exist, there may be an overseer overlooking one or more of these universe. This overseer, would probably be god. Now, if multiple universes don't exist then it's still possible that sentient being/s exist outside of time and space. If we can't even prove whether or not aliens exist in time and space, how would we even beging to know how to prove the existence of something outside of time and space? The only thing we could do is examine our lives, and try to determine whether or not its interacting with us in a such a manner that said interaction is not apparent, unless we actively look for it with an open mind.

1. These supposed universes, which we have no evidence for existing yet and just exists as a possible scenario, would have completely different laws than our own, according to what I've read. Lots of things could exist completely differently than they do here. But, until we find evidence of other Universes, then we don't know.
2. This overseer, would probably be god. How do you know this?
3. It is possible that those beings exist. It's also possible that a tea pot is orbiting Earth. But you need evidence to show that it is not a mere possibility. That's what science is all about. Explaining observations and providing evidence for explanations for those observations. Until that Tea Pot is found or until God is observed, there's no reason to believe they exist.
4. We can't "Prove" aliens exist until we observe them. However, as has been explained to you, it is highly likely that somewhere in this vast universe, aliens have evolved because life has already developed here, on Earth and we know that Earth is not unique at all. We are the only thing unique about Earth at the moment.
5. Examine our lives and decide whether WHAT is interacting with us? If you cannot observe it or define it, then you cannot decide whether it is interacting with you. At this point, you have led us down a LONG rabbit hole to where you basically say "I don't know if anything outside of time exists, but you don't either." and then you go on to make the emotional and irrational assertion that we should search our personal lives for the helping hand of a creature that exists outside of Time and Space. But let's say you think that you detected it? In what way would you know that it wasn't some force called "fate" "Karma" or an omnipotent god called "yahweh" or "Allah" or a god of the Hindus?

Once again, your whole argument is a mess of badly worded questions and incorrect assumptions.
Proud Member of The Western Isles, the Best RP region on NS.
An RP I'm Proud of: Orsandian Civil War

Economic Left/Right: -5.0
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.72

User avatar
Jolthig
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11704
Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby Jolthig » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:55 pm

Telcz wrote:Jesus Christ is the only way to salvation. Accept Christ and trust Him as your savior, and you'll be saved forever!

Some proofs are:

* the shroud of Turin
* stigmata
* the prophesy of Jesus Christ in the old testament
* NDEs

and many more.

Eh, asides from my own disbelief in your God, christ, NDEs are a quite tricky topic because there are also NDE accounts of Buddha, Muhammad, Krishna. Etc

I've heard that the body naturally produces DMT as you go near death.
Your friendly Ahmadi Muslim NSGer, Jolthig; telegrams are welcome. Want my discord? Jolthig #9602.

OOC Links:

Want to know more about the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community?

Alislam.org
True Islam
Muslims For Peace

Other OOC links:

The Islamic Discussion Thread
My OOC Political Views
My Top 10 Favorite Bands

IC:

Factbook
This nation does not represent my RL political views.

Fan of various genres of both rock and metal
.

Ahmadiyya Muslim (converted on November 15, 2016)
None.
Eternal Lotharia wrote:...

I NEVER WANTED TO BE A CRACKBABY!

User avatar
An Alan Smithee Nation
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1828
Founded: Apr 18, 2018
New York Times Democracy

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:03 pm

Jolthig wrote:I've heard that the body naturally produces DMT as you go near death.


If there is a god, they must be inordinately fond of DMT considering the number of places it occurs.
Last edited by An Alan Smithee Nation on Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jolthig
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11704
Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby Jolthig » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:06 pm

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:
Jolthig wrote:I've heard that the body naturally produces DMT as you go near death.


If there is a god, they must be inordinately fond of DMT considering the number of places it occurs.

Well, still, considering how NDEs of various people often contradict one another, and how science says DMT is involved, it may be at best a possible hallucination on a significant scale.
Your friendly Ahmadi Muslim NSGer, Jolthig; telegrams are welcome. Want my discord? Jolthig #9602.

OOC Links:

Want to know more about the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community?

Alislam.org
True Islam
Muslims For Peace

Other OOC links:

The Islamic Discussion Thread
My OOC Political Views
My Top 10 Favorite Bands

IC:

Factbook
This nation does not represent my RL political views.

Fan of various genres of both rock and metal
.

Ahmadiyya Muslim (converted on November 15, 2016)
None.
Eternal Lotharia wrote:...

I NEVER WANTED TO BE A CRACKBABY!

User avatar
Alvecia
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17350
Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Alvecia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:11 pm

Jolthig wrote:
An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:
If there is a god, they must be inordinately fond of DMT considering the number of places it occurs.

Well, still, considering how NDEs of various people often contradict one another, and how science says DMT is involved, it may be at best a possible hallucination on a significant scale.

More evidence for that is that what people claim to experience is often informed by their religion/cultural upbringing.
British
Atheist
IT Support
That there is no exception to the rule "There is an exception to every rule" is the exception that proves the rule.
---
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll stop asking you to catch his fish.
That's not happening
That shouldn't be happening
Why is that happening?
That's why it's happening?
How has this ever worked?

User avatar
Jolthig
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11704
Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby Jolthig » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:13 pm

Alvecia wrote:
Jolthig wrote:Well, still, considering how NDEs of various people often contradict one another, and how science says DMT is involved, it may be at best a possible hallucination on a significant scale.

More evidence for that is that what people claim to experience is often informed by their religion/cultural upbringing.

Pretty much. Whatever is in their subconscious.

There's actually an account of an atheist having a NDE, and he claimed he saw nothing. Hence, NDE don't validate as proof of whatever god they're preaching of, and this is coming from a Muslim.
Your friendly Ahmadi Muslim NSGer, Jolthig; telegrams are welcome. Want my discord? Jolthig #9602.

OOC Links:

Want to know more about the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community?

Alislam.org
True Islam
Muslims For Peace

Other OOC links:

The Islamic Discussion Thread
My OOC Political Views
My Top 10 Favorite Bands

IC:

Factbook
This nation does not represent my RL political views.

Fan of various genres of both rock and metal
.

Ahmadiyya Muslim (converted on November 15, 2016)
None.
Eternal Lotharia wrote:...

I NEVER WANTED TO BE A CRACKBABY!

User avatar
Segral
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1415
Founded: Sep 06, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Segral » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:26 pm

Jolthig wrote:
Alvecia wrote:More evidence for that is that what people claim to experience is often informed by their religion/cultural upbringing.

Pretty much. Whatever is in their subconscious.

There's actually an account of an atheist having a NDE, and he claimed he saw nothing. Hence, NDE don't validate as proof of whatever god they're preaching of, and this is coming from a Muslim.


Yeah, the accounts of NDE's are too widespread and unfocused to be taken seriously. If there was widespread claims of someone seeing Muhammed, or Jesus, or Krishna, then one could take the prospect of a God seriously. But at the same time, people who have NDE's generally see what they want to see, so there's no real way to achieve this prospect.
Call me Seg for short, it's much faster that way.

Proud Canadian and roleplayer, mostly kicking around the Fantasy, Slice of Life, and Superhuman genres.


User avatar
Jolthig
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11704
Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby Jolthig » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:29 pm

Segral wrote:
Jolthig wrote:Pretty much. Whatever is in their subconscious.

There's actually an account of an atheist having a NDE, and he claimed he saw nothing. Hence, NDE don't validate as proof of whatever god they're preaching of, and this is coming from a Muslim.


Yeah, the accounts of NDE's are too widespread and unfocused to be taken seriously. If there was widespread claims of someone seeing Muhammed, or Jesus, or Krishna, then one could take the prospect of a God seriously. But at the same time, people who have NDE's generally see what they want to see, so there's no real way to achieve this prospect.

At best, a NDE is as real as a psychedelic trip.
Your friendly Ahmadi Muslim NSGer, Jolthig; telegrams are welcome. Want my discord? Jolthig #9602.

OOC Links:

Want to know more about the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community?

Alislam.org
True Islam
Muslims For Peace

Other OOC links:

The Islamic Discussion Thread
My OOC Political Views
My Top 10 Favorite Bands

IC:

Factbook
This nation does not represent my RL political views.

Fan of various genres of both rock and metal
.

Ahmadiyya Muslim (converted on November 15, 2016)
None.
Eternal Lotharia wrote:...

I NEVER WANTED TO BE A CRACKBABY!

User avatar
Segral
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1415
Founded: Sep 06, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Segral » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:30 pm

Jolthig wrote:
Segral wrote:
Yeah, the accounts of NDE's are too widespread and unfocused to be taken seriously. If there was widespread claims of someone seeing Muhammed, or Jesus, or Krishna, then one could take the prospect of a God seriously. But at the same time, people who have NDE's generally see what they want to see, so there's no real way to achieve this prospect.

At best, a NDE is as real as a psychedelic trip.


Lol, true. Although does that mean the act of taking drugs is religious? :p
Call me Seg for short, it's much faster that way.

Proud Canadian and roleplayer, mostly kicking around the Fantasy, Slice of Life, and Superhuman genres.


User avatar
Jolthig
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11704
Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby Jolthig » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:32 pm

Segral wrote:
Jolthig wrote:At best, a NDE is as real as a psychedelic trip.


Lol, true. Although does that mean the act of taking drugs is religious? :p

Actually in a way, yes. Some sects of Hindus do it to pray to krishna.
Your friendly Ahmadi Muslim NSGer, Jolthig; telegrams are welcome. Want my discord? Jolthig #9602.

OOC Links:

Want to know more about the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community?

Alislam.org
True Islam
Muslims For Peace

Other OOC links:

The Islamic Discussion Thread
My OOC Political Views
My Top 10 Favorite Bands

IC:

Factbook
This nation does not represent my RL political views.

Fan of various genres of both rock and metal
.

Ahmadiyya Muslim (converted on November 15, 2016)
None.
Eternal Lotharia wrote:...

I NEVER WANTED TO BE A CRACKBABY!

User avatar
Neutraligon
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 30758
Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:11 pm

Thuzbekistan wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:I'm not a theologist, and am not qualified to do that. You're not either

Then don't assert it as a defense if you cannot defend it.

Australian rePublic wrote:Sorry about not replying to the aliens question, but I was like 15 pages behind in reading this thread when I posted it, and it takes time to formulate a response. I have a life outside of this thread. So here we go. I won't reply to all of them individually, as they're all similar, so here we go:

1. Do we humans know every creature that exists on this planet? Do we know every creature that exists in the ocean? If the answer is no, then we move on to the next question...

2. If we are incapable of knowing every creature on our planet, then how are we capable of knowing what lies outside our galaxy? We don't. We can't even imagine what life in other galaxies would look like. If we saw a creature from a different galaxy, would we even recognise it as human life? If not

3. If we would be unable to determine whether or not a creature that shares a universe with us constitues as life, how are we going to determine whether or not a creature which exists outside of time and space exists. If we can't even identify a creature within time and space, how are we going to identify a creature outside of time and space? Now, if that (for lack of a better word) "creature" wishes to interact with us, and we keep an open mind, we can see its interactions. If it decides to manifest itself to us, then we can identify it as conscious. Otherwise, how would we be able to identify it. Considering that we can't even agree about whether or not a virus, an organism which lives inside us, is alive, how will be able to indentify the conscious of something which exists outside of time and space? Now all of this assumes that anythibg exists outside of time and space. Which I'll address in my next point:

4. Many here believe in the concept of a multiverse. If you don't believe in the multiverse, then fine, you can argue that nothing exists outside of time and space. If you do believe ina multiverse, then, by definition, things do exist outside of time and space. The various universes exist outside of time and space. Now, if multiple universes exist, there may be an overseer overlooking one or more of these universe. This overseer, would probably be god. Now, if multiple universes don't exist then it's still possible that sentient being/s exist outside of time and space. If we can't even prove whether or not aliens exist in time and space, how would we even beging to know how to prove the existence of something outside of time and space? The only thing we could do is examine our lives, and try to determine whether or not its interacting with us in a such a manner that said interaction is not apparent, unless we actively look for it with an open mind.


The answer to this supposed dilemma is simple: Don't believe things that don't have evidence for their existence and assume you know nothing in comparison to what you can learn and always base what you think you know on the evidence before you. If you want to answer a question, pursue the evidence for it.

Regardless, you set up a string of assumptions and questions that don't really flow together and don't necessarily lead to the ignorance you are trying to display. But whatever. I'll bite.

1. Do we humans know every creature that exists on this planet? Do we know every creature that exists in the ocean? If the answer is no, then we move on to the next question...


The number of organic lifeforms on this planet is finite, but changing. It is possible, if we develop the technologies and traverse every square inch of the Earth, to discover every species on Earth. However, due to the nature of such exploration, we can never say for certain that we have found all life on this planet. This doesn't mean anything, but let's see where you go.

2. If we are incapable of knowing every creature on our planet, then how are we capable of knowing what lies outside our galaxy? We don't. We can't even imagine what life in other galaxies would look like. If we saw a creature from a different galaxy, would we even recognise it as human life? If not

We are not incapable, it is just difficult to do so and would require a lot of work and effort and new technologies to possibly see what is below. It's possible we may never know as there are some places we cannot physically go. As for the second part of your question regarding extraterrestrial life, I think you forget that life HAS to be built up of chemicals and molecules that already exist in the universe and they HAVE to obey the laws of this universe because we are in this universe. Galaxies are mostly just like the Milky way in so much as they are built with all the same things. So, if there is life out there, we would probably recognize it as life as we have already described the behavior of things which are alive. According to this, an individual is called an organism if it displays all of the following:
• respond to their environment
• grow and change
• reproduce and have offspring
• have a complex chemistry
• maintain homeostasis
• are built of structures called cells
• pass their traits onto their offspring

So, as long as it responds to this, I'm sure we can decide whether something is alive. And, while NASA is looking at the various possible ways that life COULD develop, the only one we know of right now is carbon based. So, I imagine alien life would resemble us in the basic characteristics of life and in structure.

3. If we would be unable to determine whether or not a creature that shares a universe with us constitues as life, how are we going to determine whether or not a creature which exists outside of time and space exists. If we can't even identify a creature within time and space, how are we going to identify a creature outside of time and space? Now, if that (for lack of a better word) "creature" wishes to interact with us, and we keep an open mind, we can see its interactions. If it decides to manifest itself to us, then we can identify it as conscious. Otherwise, how would we be able to identify it. Considering that we can't even agree about whether or not a virus, an organism which lives inside us, is alive, how will be able to indentify the conscious of something which exists outside of time and space? Now all of this assumes that anythibg exists outside of time and space. Which I'll address in my next point:

1. We can determine what is alive or not. We created the definition and we classified it.
2. No one can determine that such a being outside of time and space exists because it would not offer any evidence of existing in our universe unless it acted upon the universe, which we could then measure the effect of that action on our universe and rule out all other options. Given that the Christian God among many others have acted on our universe in their books and supposedly act all around the world, its amazing that there is always a natural explanation for any supernatural claims or we find that those things which were claimed to have happened either a) don't happen at all or b) don't happen in the way they were described and have a natural explanation.
3. If this creature made itself known to us, it would HAVE to manifest itself in the physical reality in which we exist, thus it could be scientifically measured and detected.
4. A Virus is alive. An organism is alive by definition.
5. Because if something is alive, it has the characteristics seen above.

4. Many here believe in the concept of a multiverse. If you don't believe in the multiverse, then fine, you can argue that nothing exists outside of time and space. If you do believe ina multiverse, then, by definition, things do exist outside of time and space. The various universes exist outside of time and space. Now, if multiple universes exist, there may be an overseer overlooking one or more of these universe. This overseer, would probably be god. Now, if multiple universes don't exist then it's still possible that sentient being/s exist outside of time and space. If we can't even prove whether or not aliens exist in time and space, how would we even beging to know how to prove the existence of something outside of time and space? The only thing we could do is examine our lives, and try to determine whether or not its interacting with us in a such a manner that said interaction is not apparent, unless we actively look for it with an open mind.

1. These supposed universes, which we have no evidence for existing yet and just exists as a possible scenario, would have completely different laws than our own, according to what I've read. Lots of things could exist completely differently than they do here. But, until we find evidence of other Universes, then we don't know.
2. This overseer, would probably be god. How do you know this?
3. It is possible that those beings exist. It's also possible that a tea pot is orbiting Earth. But you need evidence to show that it is not a mere possibility. That's what science is all about. Explaining observations and providing evidence for explanations for those observations. Until that Tea Pot is found or until God is observed, there's no reason to believe they exist.
4. We can't "Prove" aliens exist until we observe them. However, as has been explained to you, it is highly likely that somewhere in this vast universe, aliens have evolved because life has already developed here, on Earth and we know that Earth is not unique at all. We are the only thing unique about Earth at the moment.
5. Examine our lives and decide whether WHAT is interacting with us? If you cannot observe it or define it, then you cannot decide whether it is interacting with you. At this point, you have led us down a LONG rabbit hole to where you basically say "I don't know if anything outside of time exists, but you don't either." and then you go on to make the emotional and irrational assertion that we should search our personal lives for the helping hand of a creature that exists outside of Time and Space. But let's say you think that you detected it? In what way would you know that it wasn't some force called "fate" "Karma" or an omnipotent god called "yahweh" or "Allah" or a god of the Hindus?

Once again, your whole argument is a mess of badly worded questions and incorrect assumptions.

Just a quick correction but it is debated if viruses are alive because they do not clearly fulfill all the requirements to be alive.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

User avatar
Segral
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1415
Founded: Sep 06, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Segral » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:26 pm

Jolthig wrote:
Segral wrote:
Lol, true. Although does that mean the act of taking drugs is religious? :p

Actually in a way, yes. Some sects of Hindus do it to pray to krishna.


The fact that I'm Hindu and didn't know this concerns me slightly XD. Although I suppose that comes from not being very religious in general.

But yeah, in general, NDE's are very unreliable ways to prove that God exists, and really can't be taken seriously from a logical perspective.
Call me Seg for short, it's much faster that way.

Proud Canadian and roleplayer, mostly kicking around the Fantasy, Slice of Life, and Superhuman genres.


User avatar
Cekoviu
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6307
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cekoviu » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:57 pm

Neutraligon wrote:Just a quick correction but it is debated if viruses are alive because they do not clearly fulfill all the requirements to be alive.

It really shouldn't be even debated. It's not a borderline case, they only fulfill half to 4/7 of the requirements depending on how you count.
diacritical materialist, arachno-communist, meta-postmodern feminist, lexical cheondoist, antinatal preemptivist, swedeaboo, frittled potswinging decadarchist, and pichu main in ssbu
F R E E   R A D I C A L S
lesbo gang
/tʃɛˈkoːviu/ (cekovian: /ˈtʃɛkoˌviu/)
best factbooks

User avatar
Thuzbekistan
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1354
Founded: Dec 29, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Thuzbekistan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:57 pm

Neutraligon wrote:Just a quick correction but it is debated if viruses are alive because they do not clearly fulfill all the requirements to be alive.

Ah I didn't know that
Last edited by Thuzbekistan on Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Member of The Western Isles, the Best RP region on NS.
An RP I'm Proud of: Orsandian Civil War

Economic Left/Right: -5.0
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.72

User avatar
The Caleshan Valkyrie
Envoy
 
Posts: 345
Founded: Oct 07, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:41 pm

United States of Americanas wrote:I deleted my well thought out reply and will no longer partake in any religious discussions here.

I thought this was a forum where people would be polite and non judgmental but instead people rip my writing to shreds and defile the HOLY TRUTH.

So GOOD DAY TO YOU ALL.


The funny thing here is that the response to your dissertation was actually quite civil. Seems to me that you were expecting all of us heathens to drop to our knees in supplication, and when we didn’t you got offended. Reflects more on you than anything else.
Godulan Puppet #2, RPing as technologically advanced tribal society combined between several groups of ancient arabs and mongols with vikings.

Current Intro RP: Gravity Ships and Garden Snips

User avatar
Ausinia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 648
Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ausinia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:56 pm

Telcz wrote:Jesus Christ is the only way to salvation. Accept Christ and trust Him as your savior, and you'll be saved forever!

Some proofs are:

* the shroud of Turin
* stigmata
* the prophesy of Jesus Christ in the old testament
* NDEs

and many more.

I thought this thread was a debate about wether god exists, and where you sit, we aren’t aren’t looking for a new religion.
Eventual link
Im currently working on my storefront and factbooks, estimated time of completion: ERROR
This nation does not completely agree with my views
You though I was bothered? No, not yet
Ausinia Weapons & Tech
THE UNITED COMMONWEALTH of AUSINIA
Maybe, soon :(
My Battery’s low and it’s getting dark...

User avatar
Menassa
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33351
Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Menassa » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:32 pm

Telcz wrote:[...]
* the prophesy of Jesus Christ in the old testament
[...]

Nope, Chuck Testa.
-NS's one and only Tanna!
Radical Monotheist
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
The NS Steam Thread
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

User avatar
Kowani
Senator
 
Posts: 3552
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kowani » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:38 pm

Menassa wrote:
Telcz wrote:[...]
* the prophesy of Jesus Christ in the old testament
[...]

Nope, Chuck Testa.

Stealing this for future usagez. 8)
My Nation doesn’t reflect my actual views, nor do I use NS stats for Roleplay.
Atheist and proud of it.
Pro: Freedom of Speech, LGBT rights, Abortion, Atheism, Secularism, Technophilia, Humanity, Peace in general, Egalitarianism, Pizza.
Anti: Religion, Violence, Misogyny, Misandry, Racism, Pedophilia, Facism, SJW’s, Willful Ignorance, Promotion of harmful cultural practices in the name of “cultural diversity”, whoever created "Ebola-chan."
Catalan Separatist. Catalunya Independiente!

User avatar
Thermodolia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 48429
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:01 pm

United States of Americanas wrote:Mods, I request that this thread be locked. It is unhealthy flame bait.

Look dude you can’t request shit to get locked. Doesn’t happen that way
Male, centrist cultural nationalist, lives somewhere in the Deep South, loves dogs particularly German Shepherds, give me any good Irish or Scottish whiskey and I will be your friend for life. I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
>Xovland: I keep getting ads for printer ink. Sometimes, when you get that feeling down there, you have to look at some steamy printer pictures.
Click for Da Funies
Click Here for RP Info Embassy Program
Ambassadors to the WA:
Ambassador to the GA Jon Æthr
Ambassador to the SC Eve Šanœ

RIP Dya

User avatar
The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 6020
Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:15 pm

The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:
United States of Americanas wrote:I deleted my well thought out reply and will no longer partake in any religious discussions here.

I thought this was a forum where people would be polite and non judgmental but instead people rip my writing to shreds and defile the HOLY TRUTH.

So GOOD DAY TO YOU ALL.


The funny thing here is that the response to your dissertation was actually quite civil. Seems to me that you were expecting all of us heathens to drop to our knees in supplication, and when we didn’t you got offended. Reflects more on you than anything else.

Maybe they've read a lot of religious tracts? No expert, but I believe that -- in a lot of evangelical tracts -- atheists who genuinely don't believe in God usually disbelieve because they've never actually heard of the concept of God/Jesus etc. And, as soon as they've been told, they're immediately converted, hallelujah and et cetera.

While -- of course -- reality doesn't support that, if someone truly believes that to be true, it must be rather disconcerting when it doesn't happen IRL.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

The Writer's Block Possible Issue Error? or Unusual Issue Effects? (check OPs) Current Issues (Spoilers!)

My nation is not representative of my beliefs or politics.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AESYRiEL, Genivaria, Hediacrana, New haven america, Scotatrova, Shrillland, The Grims, The National Salvation Front for Russia, The Xenopolis Confederation, Warvick

Advertisement

Remove ads