NATION

PASSWORD

Why do/don't you believe in a higher power? (Any HP)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Alvecia
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18672
Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:14 am

Bardarus wrote:I believe in God because God is a Father who created the world and everything in in, for example:Have you ever wondered how it is that you exist in this world as a man or a woman and why do you exist as such, we're not on this planet by our own will and strengh but because we have been created as such. And as for the concept of Heaven and Hell i hope you know the Gardnen of Eden story about Adam and Eve, Satan tricked Adam(All of humanity since according to Christianity Adam is the ancestor of all of man and woman that live today) into defiyng God's Words and since Adam did not listen to God that seperated Adam from God just like sin in real life obstructs our communication with God, thus creating a large impassable chasm called Hell whereas Heaven is following Jesus Christ's path to Salvation and accepting his sacrifice on the Cross which is atonement for our sins and wrongful deeds.

I hope i made my point clear enough for folks to understand because im really bad at making a point online.

Not really. It just reads like "I believe in god because god exists".
Your example isn't an example, it's just an explaination of Christian theology.
British
Atheist
IT Support
That there is no exception to the rule "There is an exception to every rule" is the exception that proves the rule.
---
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll stop asking you to catch his fish.
That's not happening
That shouldn't be happening
Why is that happening?
That's why it's happening?
How has this ever worked?

User avatar
The New California Republic
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19368
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:48 am

Bardarus wrote:I believe in God because God is a Father who created the world and everything in in, for example:Have you ever wondered how it is that you exist in this world as a man or a woman

There are many intersex people, and there are many species that do not conform to binary gender, which spectacularly contradicts what the Bible says.

Bardarus wrote:we're not on this planet by our own will and strengh but because we have been created as such.

Formed by evolution over eons.

Bardarus wrote:And as for the concept of Heaven and Hell i hope you know the Gardnen of Eden story about Adam and Eve

There is considerable scientific evidence related to evolution to debunk the Adam and Eve story. The genetic similarities between primates and humans has been firmly established by the Human Genome Project, indicating that an evolutionary relationship exists between primates and humans.
Last edited by Friedrich Nietzsche on Thu Jan 03, 1889 13:05 pm, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the complete victory over Caesar's Legion, and the pacification and annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.
Current President of The NCR: Aaron Kimball.
Current NCR Ambassador to The World Assembly: Colonel James Hsu, NCR Army (Ret.)
.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Salandriagado
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18961
Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Salandriagado » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:54 am

The blAAtschApen wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:So all of you who refuse to believe in God, because of lack of evidence, where do you stand on aliens?


I believe aliens exist.

I am one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_(law)


No you aren't. You're a sheep. You can't fool me!

Bardarus wrote:I believe in God because God is a Father who created the world and everything in in, for example:Have you ever wondered how it is that you exist in this world as a man or a woman and why do you exist as such,


I'm not convinced that I do. The answer, in as much as "why" is even a reasonable question, is "because sexual reproduction is a massive evolutionary advantage": it allows for much higher DNA mixing rates, and therefore much faster evolution (in terms of numbers of generations).

we're not on this planet by our own will and strengh but because we have been created as such.


Nope. We're here because of some fancy physics/chemistry/biology.

And as for the concept of Heaven and Hell i hope you know the Gardnen of Eden story about Adam and Eve, Satan tricked Adam(All of humanity since according to Christianity Adam is the ancestor of all of man and woman that live today)


This absolutely did not happen.

into defiyng God's Words and since Adam did not listen to God that seperated Adam from God


God did a fucking awful job of making humanity, then, didn't he?

just like sin in real life obstructs our communication with God, thus creating a large impassable chasm called Hell whereas Heaven is following Jesus Christ's path to Salvation and accepting his sacrifice on the Cross which is atonement for our sins and wrongful deeds.


This says literally nothing.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

User avatar
Erbilstan
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 12
Founded: Nov 16, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Erbilstan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:08 am

I don't believe in a god because religion has been forced down on our throats during the Age of Exploration. So... there.

User avatar
The World Capitalist Confederation
Minister
 
Posts: 3490
Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:10 am

Bardarus wrote:I believe in God because God is a Father who created the world and everything in in, for example:Have you ever wondered how it is that you exist in this world as a man or a woman and why do you exist as such, we're not on this planet by our own will and strengh but because we have been created as such. And as for the concept of Heaven and Hell i hope you know the Gardnen of Eden story about Adam and Eve, Satan tricked Adam(All of humanity since according to Christianity Adam is the ancestor of all of man and woman that live today) into defiyng God's Words and since Adam did not listen to God that seperated Adam from God just like sin in real life obstructs our communication with God, thus creating a large impassable chasm called Hell whereas Heaven is following Jesus Christ's path to Salvation and accepting his sacrifice on the Cross which is atonement for our sins and wrongful deeds.

I hope i made my point clear enough for folks to understand because im really bad at making a point online.


So, to clarify, you believe a magic man in the sky created 2 people who violated his own rules whilst being forged in his own image? If anything, that's an indictment of God as a hypocrite and generally as an evil man. Also, the fact there were only 2 people at the beginning means there was a whole lot of incest, which is prohibited in the Bible. Why do you think he, of all people, did it? Why couldn't it be a teapot or a Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Meelducan wrote:He probably wouldn't get an endorsement from Weight Watchers.

New Political RP here!

User avatar
Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11633
Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nazis in Space » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:31 am

I do believe in God.

I believe in Yahweh. I believe in Marduk and Enki. I believe in Ra and Osiris, in Huitzilopochtli, Thor and Odin. I believe in Shiva and Zeus. And I believe in many more.

What I want to know is why there are people who believe only in some, sometimes even in just one of the many Gods that Man has worshipped over the ages.

Not worship - if you prefer one or several Gods over the rest, that's perfectly fine and fair. We all have favourites.

But to only believe in one amongst the myriad in existence? To deny the existence of every other God?

That, I cannot understand.

User avatar
The New California Republic
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19368
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:01 pm

Nazis in Space wrote:I do believe in God.

I believe in Yahweh. I believe in Marduk and Enki. I believe in Ra and Osiris, in Huitzilopochtli, Thor and Odin. I believe in Shiva and Zeus. And I believe in many more.

What I want to know is why there are people who believe only in some, sometimes even in just one of the many Gods that Man has worshipped over the ages.

Not worship - if you prefer one or several Gods over the rest, that's perfectly fine and fair. We all have favourites.

But to only believe in one amongst the myriad in existence? To deny the existence of every other God?

That, I cannot understand.

There might be a problem with that, since Yahweh is a jealous God...
Last edited by Friedrich Nietzsche on Thu Jan 03, 1889 13:05 pm, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the complete victory over Caesar's Legion, and the pacification and annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.
Current President of The NCR: Aaron Kimball.
Current NCR Ambassador to The World Assembly: Colonel James Hsu, NCR Army (Ret.)
.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
The Blaatschapen
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 54118
Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:08 pm

Nazis in Space wrote:I do believe in God.

I believe in Yahweh. I believe in Marduk and Enki. I believe in Ra and Osiris, in Huitzilopochtli, Thor and Odin. I believe in Shiva and Zeus. And I believe in many more.

What I want to know is why there are people who believe only in some, sometimes even in just one of the many Gods that Man has worshipped over the ages.

Not worship - if you prefer one or several Gods over the rest, that's perfectly fine and fair. We all have favourites.

But to only believe in one amongst the myriad in existence? To deny the existence of every other God?

That, I cannot understand.


So who is your favourite?

Beckenbauer?
Forumer mod, now a rocker mocker. Thank you Ringo
Heaven is other people
Behind the invisible hand of the market hides the iron fist of the state.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect - Mark Twain
Silent is an anagram of listen.
Proud adopter of a lamb called violet: http://imgur.com/a/pxnSf
Male. Please address me as 'he'.
This is the 8th line. If your sig is longer than mine, it is too long.

User avatar
Olthar
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 59474
Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:11 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Nazis in Space wrote:I do believe in God.

I believe in Yahweh. I believe in Marduk and Enki. I believe in Ra and Osiris, in Huitzilopochtli, Thor and Odin. I believe in Shiva and Zeus. And I believe in many more.

What I want to know is why there are people who believe only in some, sometimes even in just one of the many Gods that Man has worshipped over the ages.

Not worship - if you prefer one or several Gods over the rest, that's perfectly fine and fair. We all have favourites.

But to only believe in one amongst the myriad in existence? To deny the existence of every other God?

That, I cannot understand.

There might be a problem with that, since Yahweh is a jealous God...

That's why you send him a Christmas card but don't invite him to the party.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

User avatar
Dogmeat
Minister
 
Posts: 2310
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:39 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Nazis in Space wrote:I do believe in God.

I believe in Yahweh. I believe in Marduk and Enki. I believe in Ra and Osiris, in Huitzilopochtli, Thor and Odin. I believe in Shiva and Zeus. And I believe in many more.

What I want to know is why there are people who believe only in some, sometimes even in just one of the many Gods that Man has worshipped over the ages.

Not worship - if you prefer one or several Gods over the rest, that's perfectly fine and fair. We all have favourites.

But to only believe in one amongst the myriad in existence? To deny the existence of every other God?

That, I cannot understand.

There might be a problem with that, since Yahweh is a jealous God...

Like most Gods, he chilled out quite a bit after getting laid.

We really need to set up a dating service for angry deities.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

User avatar
Adad Civilization
Envoy
 
Posts: 206
Founded: Jun 08, 2018
Libertarian Police State

Postby Adad Civilization » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:41 pm

Dogmeat wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:There might be a problem with that, since Yahweh is a jealous God...

Like most Gods, he chilled out quite a bit after getting laid.

We really need to set up a dating service for angry deities.

Jesus was the son of the angel John Cena.

She's still a virgin because nobody saw him
IC Year: 5278 BCE
Were NSstats even invented yet in 5000 BC? (Plus it made me a left-leaning college state because I allowed free press so... #### them)
Inspired by Haja-Mishu (but I am not a puppet of him) and Mesopotamian Kingdoms of the early bronze age
Pro: Nothing, Anti: Nothing, Neutral Opinion: Political Apathy.
Proud member of the >50K gang | My Q&A | My Discord: BimmyTheGreat#2883, HMU

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17381
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:47 pm

Holy Epoch wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Actully, God is genderless. Refering to God with male pronouns is because of a bad mistranslation


Actually, God *looks* like man. He made Adam in his image, and made Eve as a companion to Adam. Thus we can infer that God at least looks masculine, and we can judge that he is.

"Imagine and likeness of God means that our soul posses the same qualities, namely: freedom, wisdom, imoratality (pf the soul, NOT the body) and other things like that. It does NOT mean that we phyisically look like God
Disclaimer: In-Character posts are NOT a reflection of the real world Australian government, any government departments, or any Australian states or territories. I have no authority over real world government decisions. This nation does not reflect my views, as I am trying to unlock banners
From Sydney, NSW. From Greek ancestry. Orthodox Christian.
Why stylised as "rePublic"
16 Published Issues and 1 WA Resolution
Issue Ideas You Can Steal

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17381
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:02 pm

Novo Vaticanus wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

It seems like your whole problem with God is that kids get cancer. This is a very, very common argument against the faithand it really doesn't hold any kind of logical water if you think about it.

God created the universe apart from Himself. That means He gave up some level of His complete control in doing so. Cancer is just a thing that occurs in this Universe, which follows Newton's laws. It isn't like God created the whole fucking universe to just make cancer, haha. He created it so that we could exist within it, and then choose Him.

You had a lot more to say, but the only issue with the faith I could really distinguish was this, so, I'm glad to try and offer a refutation to any other theological claims you'd like to make against the Church.

I've said it many times before, and I'll say it a million more, there's no argument against the Catholic faith which can't be refuted.

Agreed. Disease=/=God does not exist
Disclaimer: In-Character posts are NOT a reflection of the real world Australian government, any government departments, or any Australian states or territories. I have no authority over real world government decisions. This nation does not reflect my views, as I am trying to unlock banners
From Sydney, NSW. From Greek ancestry. Orthodox Christian.
Why stylised as "rePublic"
16 Published Issues and 1 WA Resolution
Issue Ideas You Can Steal

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17381
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:16 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
The Free Panama Commune wrote:Here are my reasons for Belief in God (Ironically my nation is Atheist) :

-The bible is too unique to have been made up, although it can be interpreted to be aligned with scientific fact. For example, the bible says that the world was created in 6 days and on the 7th day God rested. Our vision of a 24 hour day could be a lot different than those who actually wrote those accounts. Those "days" could be a multiple millenniums.

-There is tons of archaeological proof of a prophet who came to save sinners

-It is not possible for the universe to spontaneously explode through the "Big Bang" without something triggering it


The bible is hardly unique. Many fo the stories are based on legends that have long since existed (look at Noahs flood). Second your saying the day was different so it could mean millenia is simply interpretation, it is not what the bible actually says, and so it cannot be said to be scientifically accurate.

There really isn't

Show that something is a god, show that it could not have happened spontaneously.

Point Number 2: Nope. The Bible, in the original Hebrew, uses the word "Yom". "Yom" can apparently mean any number of things , a physical day "24 hours" (the most common translation), an unspecified amount of time, an unspecified consistant length of time, millenia, or anything else, really
Disclaimer: In-Character posts are NOT a reflection of the real world Australian government, any government departments, or any Australian states or territories. I have no authority over real world government decisions. This nation does not reflect my views, as I am trying to unlock banners
From Sydney, NSW. From Greek ancestry. Orthodox Christian.
Why stylised as "rePublic"
16 Published Issues and 1 WA Resolution
Issue Ideas You Can Steal

User avatar
Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11633
Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nazis in Space » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:16 pm

The blAAtschApen wrote:So who is your favourite?

Beckenbauer?

I don't think that senility is a sign of divinity.

User avatar
Jolthig
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15049
Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby Jolthig » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:17 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
The bible is hardly unique. Many fo the stories are based on legends that have long since existed (look at Noahs flood). Second your saying the day was different so it could mean millenia is simply interpretation, it is not what the bible actually says, and so it cannot be said to be scientifically accurate.

There really isn't

Show that something is a god, show that it could not have happened spontaneously.

Point Number 2: Nope. The Bible, in the original Hebrew, uses the word "Yom". "Yom" can apparently mean any number of things , a physical day "24 hours" (the most common translation), an unspecified amount of time, an unspecified consistant length of time, millenia, or anything else, really

That is interesting because Arabic has a similar word called "Yaum" which is also used in its creation references, and it basically has the same meanings as Yom
Ahmadi Muslim • Khaddam of Ahmadiyya • theistic evolutionist • Star Wars fan • rock and metal fan • Pragmatic on politics
Retiring from NS, guys.

Grenartia wrote:Then we Marshall Plan it.

Kowani wrote:
Jolthig wrote:Lol why

“Und Mirza”

:lol2:

Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:
LiberNovusAmericae wrote:Isn't that what NSG is for though to a degree?

YOU’RE WRONG.

Allow me to explain using several fallacies, veiled insults, and insinuations that you’re ugly and dumb.

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17381
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:20 pm

Godular wrote:
The Free Panama Commune wrote:Here are my reasons for Belief in God (Ironically my nation is Atheist) :

-The bible is too unique to have been made up, although it can be interpreted to be aligned with scientific fact. For example, the bible says that the world was created in 6 days and on the 7th day God rested. Our vision of a 24 hour day could be a lot different than those who actually wrote those accounts. Those "days" could be a multiple millenniums.

-There is tons of archaeological proof of a prophet who came to save sinners

-It is not possible for the universe to spontaneously explode through the "Big Bang" without something triggering it


The big bang was not an explosion. Try not to place too much stock in the semantics of the event.

Then let's use the same arguments that most atheists have used here against God. If it's not an explosion, why is it called "Big Bang"
Disclaimer: In-Character posts are NOT a reflection of the real world Australian government, any government departments, or any Australian states or territories. I have no authority over real world government decisions. This nation does not reflect my views, as I am trying to unlock banners
From Sydney, NSW. From Greek ancestry. Orthodox Christian.
Why stylised as "rePublic"
16 Published Issues and 1 WA Resolution
Issue Ideas You Can Steal

User avatar
Page
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10606
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:20 pm

Novo Vaticanus wrote:You had a lot more to say, but the only issue with the faith I could really distinguish was this, so, I'm glad to try and offer a refutation to any other theological claims you'd like to make against the Church.

I've said it many times before, and I'll say it a million more, there's no argument against the Catholic faith which can't be refuted.


Where in the Bible are sins categorized as venial or mortal, and what is the scriptural basis for Purgatory?

Figured I'd give you a difficult one, I'm an ex-Catholic so I already know all the apologetics for more common questions like the problem of evil.
I am a libertarian socialist.
I am ungovernable.
I owe no allegiance to any state.
I am bound to my conscience, not to the law.
I stand for liberty, justice, and peace.

User avatar
The World Capitalist Confederation
Minister
 
Posts: 3490
Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:21 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
Novo Vaticanus wrote:It seems like your whole problem with God is that kids get cancer. This is a very, very common argument against the faithand it really doesn't hold any kind of logical water if you think about it.

God created the universe apart from Himself. That means He gave up some level of His complete control in doing so. Cancer is just a thing that occurs in this Universe, which follows Newton's laws. It isn't like God created the whole fucking universe to just make cancer, haha. He created it so that we could exist within it, and then choose Him.

You had a lot more to say, but the only issue with the faith I could really distinguish was this, so, I'm glad to try and offer a refutation to any other theological claims you'd like to make against the Church.

I've said it many times before, and I'll say it a million more, there's no argument against the Catholic faith which can't be refuted.

Agreed. Disease=/=God does not exist

Or does it? You must either reject the fact he is omnibenevolent, making him still exist but not acceptable to worship (unless you're a coward, that is), or reject his entire existence altogether. An omnipotent being will still have complete control of the universe, due to the nature of omnipotence. Furthermore, if such a being were to exist, why can we not measure it? This makes it either infinitely weak (and therefore not omnipotent), magic (which is an impossibility) or not exist.

Meelducan wrote:He probably wouldn't get an endorsement from Weight Watchers.

New Political RP here!

User avatar
Jolthig
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15049
Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby Jolthig » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:24 pm

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Agreed. Disease=/=God does not exist

Or does it? You must either reject the fact he is omnibenevolent, making him still exist but not acceptable to worship (unless you're a coward, that is), or reject his entire existence altogether. An omnipotent being will still have complete control of the universe, due to the nature of omnipotence. Furthermore, if such a being were to exist, why can we not measure it? This makes it either infinitely weak (and therefore not omnipotent), magic (which is an impossibility) or not exist.

(Not a Catholic or Christian; Ahmadi Muslim)

Because if you measured God, he wouldn't be infinite nor omnipotent. He would resemble more of a pagan god.
Ahmadi Muslim • Khaddam of Ahmadiyya • theistic evolutionist • Star Wars fan • rock and metal fan • Pragmatic on politics
Retiring from NS, guys.

Grenartia wrote:Then we Marshall Plan it.

Kowani wrote:
Jolthig wrote:Lol why

“Und Mirza”

:lol2:

Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:
LiberNovusAmericae wrote:Isn't that what NSG is for though to a degree?

YOU’RE WRONG.

Allow me to explain using several fallacies, veiled insults, and insinuations that you’re ugly and dumb.

User avatar
Dogmeat
Minister
 
Posts: 2310
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:25 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
The bible is hardly unique. Many fo the stories are based on legends that have long since existed (look at Noahs flood). Second your saying the day was different so it could mean millenia is simply interpretation, it is not what the bible actually says, and so it cannot be said to be scientifically accurate.

There really isn't

Show that something is a god, show that it could not have happened spontaneously.

Point Number 2: Nope. The Bible, in the original Hebrew, uses the word "Yom". "Yom" can apparently mean any number of things , a physical day "24 hours" (the most common translation), an unspecified amount of time, an unspecified consistant length of time, millenia, or anything else, really

This is kind of silly, since Genesis even defines what it means by day: "And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day." So we're clearly talking about actual days.

But even if it were true that these are epochs or something, the story still gets the order of everything wrong. With God creating the Earth and plantlife before the sun and stars. So it doesn't matter how long the days are, the story is still clearly wrong.

Australian rePublic wrote:Then let's use the same arguments that most atheists have used here against God. If it's not an explosion, why is it called "Big Bang"

Fred Hoyle came up with the name as an insult. It's not something scientists are committed to, it just sort of stuck.
Last edited by Dogmeat on Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

User avatar
New Legland
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 396
Founded: Apr 21, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Legland » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:27 pm

Sacara wrote:
  • First, if you look at our universe, it's hard for me not to think that is the result of a Creator. There are so many variables that could've been changed by the most minute of fractions and the universe and as a product would not exist.

If you look at the universe, it's incredibly chaotic. Only the smallest of an infinitesimal portion of the universe is remotely habitable for humans. Hell, the majority of Earth isn't even habitable for humans. As for the chances of our universe coming into existence, it had to happen. If it didn't happen, we wouldn't be talking about it right now. For all we know the same process that created our universe may have occurred trillions of times over until it resulted in one that was habitable enough for life.
Sacara wrote:
  • Second, I like Pascal's Wager as an argument. If I believe in a god, and one does exist, it is a positive outcome. If I believe in a god, or if a do not believe in one, and no god exists, nothing happens and I won't live to tell the tale -- thus, a wash. If I don't believe in a god, and one does exist, then it is an infinitely negative outcome. Plus, it's not like religion is hurting my life in any way.

  • Pascal's Wager is incredibly fallacious in that it only assumes there to be one god to believe in. This is one of the most untrue untruths I've ever heard. In believing in Yahweh, you could be angering thousands of other gods, then where do you stand? Not to mention the fact that this argument implies that God doesn't care about the sincerity of your beliefs and also implies that you change beliefs at the flip of a switch. I don't know about you, but if someone told me to believe that unicorns existed, I would a hard time doing so.
    Sacara wrote:
  • Third and finally, without a higher creator, morals are subjective and human rights cannot be justified. I know many atheists who have morals, but those stem from a Judeo-Christian society.

  • And? Just because the universe doesn't have objective morals doesn't mean we can't impose our own essentially objective morals. In fact, basic "objective" morals concerning things like harm most likely formed because groups of organisms where individuals didn't hurt each other were more likely to survive and reproduce. Things like manners and other morals that vary across the world are just due to ignorance or personal preference.

    User avatar
    Segral
    Ambassador
     
    Posts: 1478
    Founded: Sep 06, 2017
    New York Times Democracy

    Postby Segral » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:29 pm

    Dogmeat wrote:
    Australian rePublic wrote:Then let's use the same arguments that most atheists have used here against God. If it's not an explosion, why is it called "Big Bang"

    Fred Hoyle came up with the name as an insult. It's not something scientists are committed to, it just sort of stuck.


    Yeah, Big Bang is mostly just a name we cobbled together. It stuck because it was catchy, and became a public fixture, so no one ever bothered to change. Although not really sure how that's related to God...

    For me, personally, I believe in God (or Gods, in case of my religion) because I think there is something above us that influences us. Yes, I believe that much of what we do is based on our own actions, but I think there is a higher power who is subtlely shaping the world. However, while I am spiritual, I am not religious. If we're God's children, I don't see why a father would make someone starve themselves through fast for good luck, and other things along that thread.
    Call me Seg for short, it's much faster that way.

    Proud Canadian and roleplayer, mostly kicking around the Fantasy, Slice of Life, and Superhuman genres.


    User avatar
    Australian rePublic
    Post Marshal
     
    Posts: 17381
    Founded: Mar 18, 2013
    Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

    Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:43 pm

    All I read in this thread is "cancer, cancer, cancer". Let me tell you a story. I almost died when I was 5 years old (not from cancer, but death is death). I don't even know how I survived this long. In addition to that, and seperate to that, I have a genetic disease called Thallasemia Minor, I have aspberger's syndrome. All of these don't mean that God isn't real. All of these don't mean that God is evil. Just because you don't understand why God does something, it doesn't mean that God is evil. I learnt that the hard way. (And no, before you strawman me, I am NOT saying that cancer is good. We should try to fight cancer as hard as possible, as we are doing, which is an excellent thing). Atheists keep talking about how morality is subjective, and indeed, 200 years ago, it was perfectly considered perfectly acceptable to think that one race was superior to other races, yet we changed our perspective of that, why? (Well, in all honesty, because Hitler took that concept way too far, causing the rest of us to see how idiotic it was.) Up until 200 years ago, slavery was perfectly acceptable, but then we abandoned it, why, I don't know. Now as for cancer, cancer is an evil and horrible thing, I rhink so, you think so and God thinks so. So why does God allow such a horrid thing to exist? I don't know. What I do know however, is that we humans cannot agree on what is good and evil, because we don't have access to the bigger picture, God who has access to the bigger picture, is capable of knowing how to run the universe, and has remained fairly consistant with His morality. Why does God allow cancer? Does He enjoy watch people suffer? No, of coarse not, in fact, it's the opposite, God suffers with them. So why does He allow cancer? I don't know. All I know ia that God is more knowlegable than me. Trying to argue that God is evil for the simple reason that you don't understand His will, is like trying to argue that your mechanic is evil because you don't understand why He changed the motor oil. Trying to argue that God is evil because you don't understand His will, is like trying to argue that your hotel receptionist is evil, because you don't understand why she's charging you for room service, etc.
    Disclaimer: In-Character posts are NOT a reflection of the real world Australian government, any government departments, or any Australian states or territories. I have no authority over real world government decisions. This nation does not reflect my views, as I am trying to unlock banners
    From Sydney, NSW. From Greek ancestry. Orthodox Christian.
    Why stylised as "rePublic"
    16 Published Issues and 1 WA Resolution
    Issue Ideas You Can Steal

    User avatar
    Jolthig
    Post Marshal
     
    Posts: 15049
    Founded: Aug 31, 2010
    Democratic Socialists

    Postby Jolthig » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:48 pm

    Australian rePublic wrote:All I read in this thread is "cancer, cancer, cancer". Let me tell you a story. I almost died when I was 5 years old (not from cancer, but death is death). I don't even know how I survived this long. In addition to that, and seperate to that, I have a genetic disease called Thallasemia Minor, I have aspberger's syndrome. All of these don't mean that God isn't real. All of these don't mean that God is evil. Just because you don't understand why God does something, it doesn't mean that God is evil. I learnt that the hard way. (And no, before you strawman me, I am NOT saying that cancer is good. We should try to fight cancer as hard as possible, as we are doing, which is an excellent thing). Atheists keep talking about how morality is subjective, and indeed, 200 years ago, it was perfectly considered perfectly acceptable to think that one race was superior to other races, yet we changed our perspective of that, why? (Well, in all honesty, because Hitler took that concept way too far, causing the rest of us to see how idiotic it was.) Up until 200 years ago, slavery was perfectly acceptable, but then we abandoned it, why, I don't know. Now as for cancer, cancer is an evil and horrible thing, I rhink so, you think so and God thinks so. So why does God allow such a horrid thing to exist? I don't know. What I do know however, is that we humans cannot agree on what is good and evil, because we don't have access to the bigger picture, God who has access to the bigger picture, is capable of knowing how to run the universe, and has remained fairly consistant with His morality. Why does God allow cancer? Does He enjoy watch people suffer? No, of coarse not, in fact, it's the opposite, God suffers with them. So why does He allow cancer? I don't know. All I know ia that God is more knowlegable than me. Trying to argue that God is evil for the simple reason that you don't understand His will, is like trying to argue that your mechanic is evil because you don't understand why He changed the motor oil. Trying to argue that God is evil because you don't understand His will, is like trying to argue that your hotel receptionist is evil, because you don't understand why she's charging you for room service, etc.

    Some do people have hostile views. That's how a public forum works. We just gotta deal with it, and go after their arguments.
    Ahmadi Muslim • Khaddam of Ahmadiyya • theistic evolutionist • Star Wars fan • rock and metal fan • Pragmatic on politics
    Retiring from NS, guys.

    Grenartia wrote:Then we Marshall Plan it.

    Kowani wrote:
    Jolthig wrote:Lol why

    “Und Mirza”

    :lol2:

    Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:
    LiberNovusAmericae wrote:Isn't that what NSG is for though to a degree?

    YOU’RE WRONG.

    Allow me to explain using several fallacies, veiled insults, and insinuations that you’re ugly and dumb.

    PreviousNext

    Advertisement

    Remove ads

    Return to General

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Ameriganastan, Dresderstan, Forsher, Galloism, Geneviev, Heloin, Jean-Paul Sartre, Lower Nubia, Nakena, Neanderthaland, Pangurstan, The Black Forrest, The Chuck, Uiiop

    Advertisement

    Remove ads