NATION

PASSWORD

Ireland legalized abortion: what do YOU think about this?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:04 pm

West Leas Oros 2 wrote:
Hakons wrote:
"So let's just kill the fetus" isn't monstrous? When people are ill, we don't murder them to get it over with. Murder doesn't become legal if a person is terminally ill.

Isn’t it legal to euthanize someone if they give consent?

I really don't think he cares too much about that kind of thing either, given the hissy fit here:

Hakons wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:I would switch off the life support machine of a human who was brain dead.

I really can't talk with you if you think it's fine to kill humans. As is usual for this thread, carry on with your murderous barbarism.

:roll:
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:43 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
West Leas Oros 2 wrote:Isn’t it legal to euthanize someone if they give consent?

I really don't think he cares too much about that kind of thing either, given the hissy fit here:

Hakons wrote:I really can't talk with you if you think it's fine to kill humans. As is usual for this thread, carry on with your murderous barbarism.

Throwing out an insult and storming out is the sign of a truly enlightened debater.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:14 pm

Genivaria wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:I really don't think he cares too much about that kind of thing either, given the hissy fit here:

Throwing out an insult and storming out is the sign of a truly enlightened debater.

Yeah, it's an art that is only matched by saving power by removing cooling systems of devices.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:22 pm

Ors Might wrote:
An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:
Where do I do that?

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:
What makes you feel disgust differs from individual to individual. I find the Catholic Church disgusting.

In this particular post, you treat disgust with ending the lives of humans as a difference of taste rather than as a valued moral principle.

These aren't human lives. They are consciousnessless biological existences.

From the scientific standpoint, an early-term abortion is basically on a similar level to tumor removal or weeding a garden out.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:28 pm

The National Salvation Front for Russia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Shame that a fetus isn't classed as a child tho, so your statement really doesn't apply here. ;)

And forcing the woman to carry the unwanted fetus to term is enslavement of the woman to the fetus for 9 months, giving the fetus a right over her that no person has.

It's troubling that you're willing to permanently end the life of an unborn child, even the potential to life with everything in it with no second chances because of semantics.

Why care about any possibility that the person affected would not be aware of?

Hakons
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:35 pm

Genivaria wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:I really don't think he cares too much about that kind of thing either, given the hissy fit here:

Pro-life arguments are an extreme minority here, so whenever I post about this happens.

Hakons wrote:
"So let's just kill the fetus" isn't monstrous? When people are ill, we don't murder them to get it over with. Murder doesn't become legal if a person is terminally ill.

Fetuses aren't people. Jeez man, how many times do we need to hammer this point home? :roll:

Voluntary euthanasia is a completely different kettle of fish. And we do allow people to die, as shown by the presence of the Dignitas clinic.

And the fetus in this case is going to die anyway:
Ifreann wrote:Scans reportedly show that the foetus' organs are growing outside its body, an abnormality that the woman's doctor and two consultants agree will prove fatal

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Hakons wrote:

Its a fatal abnormality, the foetus is done for anyway. All they are doing is making the woman suffer for longer. Its organs are growing outside of its body. Three medical professionals, the womans own doctor and two others have stated this.

Dogmeat wrote:
Hakons wrote:

I love that your moral outrage is directed in favor of making two people suffer pointlessly for a month.

I mean, Jesus Christ. That kid's organs are on the outside. That's got to be agony. And it's not like he or she has any mitigating factor that might make life worth living. Their existence is an airless, dark, fleshy sack. There are punishments in The Inferno that aren't as bad as this.

Genivaria wrote:
Hakons wrote:

So you want to make 2 people suffer instead of one despite the fact that the fetus is doomed regardless? Jesus Christ bro.

Estanglia wrote:
Hakons wrote:

Firstly, fetuses aren't people.

Secondly, the fetus will die anyway. All you're doing by denying this woman an abortion is prolonging her suffering. That's monstrous.

West Leas Oros 2 wrote:
Hakons wrote:

I can respond to them. This is evidently one of my more passionate issues, but at some point one has to realize arguing ad naseum on an obscure internet forum isn't a productive use of time.

West Leas Oros 2 wrote:Isn’t it legal to euthanize someone if they give consent?

Hakons wrote:I really can't talk with you if you think it's fine to kill humans. As is usual for this thread, carry on with your murderous barbarism.

That's from a different thread, but thanks for being petty. I believe that was shortly before you whined to moderation. "Don't use mods as a weapon" has unfortunately become something of a joke.
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:41 pm

Oh jeez, Pope Francis is nuh gunna be happy 'bout dis. o-o

"THE WOMEN ARE DOING WHAT WITH THEIR BODIES?! UNNACEPPTABLEEEEEEEEE"
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:46 pm

Hakons wrote:I can respond to them. This is evidently one of my more passionate issues, but at some point one has to realize arguing ad naseum on an obscure internet forum isn't a productive use of time.

So your response to "why should the woman and fetus be made to suffer unnecessarily" is: "this is a waste of time". What a shameless cop out.

Hakons wrote:That's from a different thread, but thanks for being petty. I believe that was shortly before you whined to moderation.

It's from a different thread, but it shows a pattern of behavior that needed to be brought forward to show your attitude to such things.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Hakons
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:56 pm

Hakons wrote:I can respond to them. This is evidently one of my more passionate issues, but at some point one has to realize arguing ad naseum on an obscure internet forum isn't a productive use of time.

So your response to "why should the woman and fetus be made to suffer unnecessarily" is: "this is a waste of time". What a shameless cop out.

Hakons wrote:That's from a different thread, but thanks for being petty. I believe that was shortly before you whined to moderation.

It's from a different thread, but it shows a pattern of behavior that needed to be brought forward to show your attitude to such things.

In brief, I'm not utilitarian. The ends do not justify the means. Abortion is a murderous action, which is worse then temporary suffering. It is certainly a difficult choice, but it is better to have the fetus die from natural causes than to kill him/her. When someone is ill, we don't rip them apart, we let nature take its course for their death. My position is incomprehensible if one just sees abortion as a medical procedure on a clump of cells, and not the murderous destruction of a human.

Happy? I'm going to guess not. Now you'll provide a rebuttal (along with several other people), and you'll expect a prompt response, calling me a coward if I refuse.
Last edited by Hakons on Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:00 pm

Hakons wrote:

In brief, I'm not utilitarian. The ends do not justify the means. Abortion is a murderous action, which is worse then temporary suffering. It is certainly a difficult choice, but it is better to have the fetus die from natural causes than to kill him/her. When someone is ill, we don't rip them apart, we let nature take its course for their death. My position is incomprehensible if one just sees abortion as a medical procedure on a clump of cells, and not the murderous distraction of a human.

Happy? I'm going to guess not. Now you'll provide a rebuttal (along with several other people), and you'll expect a prompt response, calling me a coward if I refuse.

Its better to have it die from natural causes? So its okay to put this woman through 4 more weeks of unnecessary pain and stress even though the fucking foetus is going to die anyway and that it cannot be saved. That is not fucking better, it is completely unnecessary

That is fucking stupid.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:01 pm

I hope the department of health intervenes in this case and overrules the board. Its a shambles that this woman is being denied her constitutional right to an abortion despite the requirements for termination being met and is now being told to by her doctor to go to england instead.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:02 pm

Hakons wrote:In brief, I'm not utilitarian. The ends do not justify the means. Abortion is a murderous action, which is worse then temporary suffering. It is certainly a difficult choice, but it is better to have the fetus die from natural causes than to kill him/her.

And the woman is expected to suffer, even though the fetus has no chance at life? What is the point of that?

Hakons wrote:When someone is ill, we don't rip them apart, we let nature take its course for their death.

Complete fucking nonsense. Medicine intervenes repeatedly when someone is ill, so you can't try to play that card.

Hakons wrote:My position is incomprehensible if one just sees abortion as a medical procedure on a clump of cells, and not the murderous distraction of a human.

Your position is perfectly comprehensible from the perspective of expecting the woman to suffer while a dying fetus is left inside of her for a month.

Wave on, wave on

Hakons
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:07 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Hakons wrote:
In brief, I'm not utilitarian. The ends do not justify the means. Abortion is a murderous action, which is worse then temporary suffering. It is certainly a difficult choice, but it is better to have the fetus die from natural causes than to kill him/her. When someone is ill, we don't rip them apart, we let nature take its course for their death. My position is incomprehensible if one just sees abortion as a medical procedure on a clump of cells, and not the murderous distraction of a human.

Its better to have it die from natural causes? So its okay to put this woman through 4 more weeks of unnecessary pain and stress even though the fucking foetus is going to die anyway and that it cannot be saved. That is not fucking better, it is completely unnecessary

That is fucking stupid.

Hakons wrote:In brief, I'm not utilitarian. The ends do not justify the means. Abortion is a murderous action, which is worse then temporary suffering. It is certainly a difficult choice, but it is better to have the fetus die from natural causes than to kill him/her.

And the woman is expected to suffer, even though the fetus has no chance at life? What is the point of that?

Hakons wrote:When someone is ill, we don't rip them apart, we let nature take its course for their death.

Complete fucking nonsense. Medicine intervenes repeatedly when someone is ill, so you can't try to play that card.

Hakons wrote:My position is incomprehensible if one just sees abortion as a medical procedure on a clump of cells, and not the murderous distraction of a human.

Your position is perfectly comprehensible from the perspective of expecting the woman to suffer while a dying fetus is left inside of her for a month.

You guys are expressing my point. The argument goes on without end. My mind instantly reaches for the well-worn reply, but the heart wants to argue no more.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:18 pm

Hakons wrote:You guys are expressing my point. The argument goes on without end. My mind instantly reaches for the well-worn reply, but the heart wants to argue no more.

Read: "It is too difficult to argue with you". Cop out. Again. :roll:

Wave on, wave on

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:21 pm

West Leas Oros 2 wrote:
Hakons wrote:

I'm almost positive it is not.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:22 pm

Ifreann wrote:

I'm almost positive it is not.

To a certain extent in some places, because of the existence of Dignitas etc.

Wave on, wave on

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:08 pm

Ifreann wrote:I'm almost positive it is not.

To a certain extent in some places, because of the existence of Dignitas etc.

I would be shocked if euthanasia was legal in Ireland and I had somehow missed that happening until now, and missed all mention of it during the Repeal The 8th campaign.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Ors Might
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:39 pm

Petrolheadia wrote:
Ors Might wrote:

In this particular post, you treat disgust with ending the lives of humans as a difference of taste rather than as a valued moral principle.

These aren't human lives. They are consciousnessless biological existences.

From the scientific standpoint, an early-term abortion is basically on a similar level to tumor removal or weeding a garden out.

Yeah no. They may not be human beings but they are human lives. The term “consciousnessless biological existences” also applies to those in comas but they are still human lives.
https://youtu.be/gvjOG5gboFU Best diss track of all time

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:43 pm

Hakons wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Its better to have it die from natural causes? So its okay to put this woman through 4 more weeks of unnecessary pain and stress even though the fucking foetus is going to die anyway and that it cannot be saved. That is not fucking better, it is completely unnecessary

That is fucking stupid.

The New California Republic wrote:And the woman is expected to suffer, even though the fetus has no chance at life? What is the point of that?

You guys are expressing my point. The argument goes on without end. My mind instantly reaches for the well-worn reply, but the heart wants to argue no more.

Your inability to provide a sound argument is noone's fault but your own.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:13 pm

Hakons wrote:You guys are expressing my point. The argument goes on without end. My mind instantly reaches for the well-worn reply, but the heart wants to argue no more.

Read: "It is too difficult to argue with you". Cop out. Again. :roll:

Also known as the Wings of Redemption Argument.

"I don't wanna do this anymore oh shit we got donations hold up"
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 07, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:47 am

Hakons wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:That is seriously fucked up. I knew that it may take some time for the decision to allow abortions to be fully accepted and implemented, but not when the situation is as clear cut as this is. So the woman has to have her suffering prolonged by a month while waiting for the possibility that the fetus will be miscarried? Completely monstrous.

Next-of-kin can have life support discontinued. Can’t get much more next-of-kin than mom.
Godulan Puppet #2, RPing as technologically advanced tribal society founded by mongols and vikings (and later with multiple other Asian and Native American cultures) motivated by an intrinsic devotion to the spirit of competition. They'll walk softly, talk softly, and make soothing noises as they stab you in the back and take your stuff... unless you're another Caleshan, whereupon they'll only stab you in the back figuratively!

Used NS stats: Population. That’s it. Anything else not stated in the factbooks is not used.

Intro RP: Gravity Ships and Garden Snips (involved tribes: Plainsrider, Hawkeye, Wavecrasher)
Current RP: A Rock Out of Place (involved tribes: Night Wolf, Deep Kraken, Starwalker)

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:18 am

Ifreann wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:To a certain extent in some places, because of the existence of Dignitas etc.

I would be shocked if euthanasia was legal in Ireland and I had somehow missed that happening until now, and missed all mention of it during the Repeal The 8th campaign.

I wasn't meaning Ireland specifically. That is an entirely different mountain that needs to be assailed.

Wave on, wave on

Bardarus
Secretary

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Bardarus » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:03 am

I don't support this decision because to abort a baby in a mother's womb is to deny a human being life, society today has become more selfish in general and cares more about its own wants and needs than the fact that its denying life before it even managed to reach this world.
Proud vassal empire of the Imperium of Man since 701.M41

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:08 am

Bardarus wrote:I don't support this decision because to abort a baby in a mother's womb is to deny a human being life, society today has become more selfish in general and cares more about its own wants and needs than the fact that its denying life before it even managed to reach this world.

Yeah, how selfish of women to not want to be enslaved to the fetus for 9 months if they don't want it to be there but have no legal recourse. How selfish(!) :roll:

Wave on, wave on

Bardarus
Secretary

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Bardarus » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:23 am

Bardarus wrote:I don't support this decision because to abort a baby in a mother's womb is to deny a human being life, society today has become more selfish in general and cares more about its own wants and needs than the fact that its denying life before it even managed to reach this world.

Yeah, how selfish of women to not want to be enslaved to the fetus for 9 months if they don't want it to be there but have no legal recourse. How selfish(!) :roll:

Im not saying that THE WOMAN in question is selfish for wanting to have an abortion because she might have not enough resources to raise her child Im saying that society today has become too abortion oriented and i only support abortion ONLY if the pregnant woman's life is in danger.
Proud vassal empire of the Imperium of Man since 701.M41

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General