NATION

PASSWORD

2019-2020 US Elections Megathread I- It Begins

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which Candidate do you support?

Bernie
33%
Beto
1%
Biden
5%
Buttigieg
9%
Harris
1%
Warren
6%
Yang
8%
Trump
29%
Weld
1%
Other
8%

Total votes : 308

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:03 pm

Myrensis wrote:Yes, 4 years after launching an investigation into real estate deals Clinton was involved in the 70's and 80's, Starr finally 'nailed' him and Republicans rushed to impeach because he...lied about having an affair with an intern in the 90's.

My advice is to not lie under oath if you want to stay in office.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

South Odreria
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 31, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby South Odreria » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:09 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:If anyone here supports Gillibrand:

WHY?

Just curious.

She is going hard for the #resistance twitter troll crowd.
pro: bad
anti: good

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:45 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:Bernie is the left's Ron Paul but far less intelligent.

People you disagree with aren't stupid.

No, but there are such things as economic illiterates.
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Mystic Warriors
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:41 pm

Funny the right thinks Trump is a slam dunk winner. The Russia thing wasn't the only reason he is hated.
Proud Trump Hater. Ban Fascism in all its forms. Disagreeing with a comment because you hate who said it is childish.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:43 pm

Mystic Warriors wrote:Funny the right thinks Trump is a slam dunk winner. The Russia thing wasn't the only reason he is hated.

His odds will improve because of this.

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:59 pm

Mystic Warriors wrote:Funny the right thinks Trump is a slam dunk winner. The Russia thing wasn't the only reason he is hated.

isn't.
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
Parent, spouse, leftist Christian and suspected witch.
She/her.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:09 pm

Yusseria wrote:
Eternal Lotharia wrote:If anyone here supports Gillibrand:

WHY?

Just curious.

She has a vagina.

That's about it.

This comic book style reductivism would work better if there weren't several women running. You're gonna have to start writing new material.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:18 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
People you disagree with aren't stupid.

No, but there are such things as economic illiterates.

There are also competing economic schools of thought, not exactly a hard science with only one correct orthodoxy.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Seangoli
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:46 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Myrensis wrote:Yes, 4 years after launching an investigation into real estate deals Clinton was involved in the 70's and 80's, Starr finally 'nailed' him and Republicans rushed to impeach because he...lied about having an affair with an intern in the 90's.

My advice is to not lie under oath if you want to stay in office.

Welp, tell that to the Trump folks who gor charged with the same.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:59 pm

Indeed. He stopped hillary getting into the white house. A lot of people hate him for that. Anyone in their right minds however thinks this alone makes him great.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:01 pm

Big Jim P wrote:

Indeed. He stopped hillary getting into the white house. A lot of people hate him for that. Anyone in their right minds however thinks this alone makes him great.

Imagine drinking this much kool-aid.

Sapientia Et Bellum
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 10, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sapientia Et Bellum » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:02 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:No, but there are such things as economic illiterates.

There are also competing economic schools of thought, not exactly a hard science with only one correct orthodoxy.

The fact that Keynesians and Austrians debate over the role of government in the economy does not suddenly justify ridiculous policies such as the NGD, those who support it and other reforms that spit upon the essential conjectures of economic thought are indeed economic illiterates...
Il Duce Gianfranco Fini
"We are fascists, the heirs of fascism, the fascism of the year 2000" - Il Duce Gianfranco Fini

Economics Major (My ideals swing wildly between the parties occasionally due to my current education), Pro Interventionism, Pro NATO, Anti UN, Capitalist, Anti Russia, Anti China (Tariffs are still dumb though), and pro libertarian equality
In The Long Run, We Are All Dead

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:04 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Imagine hillary in the white house. :blink:
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:18 pm

Sapientia Et Bellum wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

The fact that Keynesians and Austrians debate over the role of government in the economy does not suddenly justify ridiculous policies such as the NGD, those who support it and other reforms that spit upon the essential conjectures of economic thought are indeed economic illiterates...

NGD?

North German Realm
Senator

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:24 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Eh. It would be only slightly better than Trump in the white house.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North German Confederation
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 6th place!

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:29 pm

North German Realm wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Eh. It would be only slightly better than Trump in the white house.

Far worse. The only thing she could have done is make obama look less bad.
Hail Satan!

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:36 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
North German Realm wrote:Eh. It would be only slightly better than Trump in the white house.

Since Obama looked pretty good, are you saying that she would make Obama look great while she was only mediocre. Better mediocre then shit like Trump has been.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:38 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Since Obama looked pretty good, are you saying that she would make Obama look great while she was only mediocre. Better mediocre then shit like Trump has been.

>Obama looked pretty good.

Oh boy.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

North German Realm
Senator

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:40 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
North German Realm wrote:Eh. It would be only slightly better than Trump in the white house.

Obama's been the best president of this Century in the US though. I mean, that's not much of a competition given what he succeeded and what succeeded him but, you know.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North German Confederation
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 6th place!

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Indo-Malaysia
Minister

Founded: Nov 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Indo-Malaysia » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:53 pm

So when are they abolishing the electoral committee and making the popular vote the sole method of election?
Tsar of the Order of the Southern North.
The Midnight Order guy

Winner of the Best Delegate of Warzone Africa award

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:53 pm

Telconi wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Since Obama looked pretty good, are you saying that she would make Obama look great while she was only mediocre. Better mediocre then shit like Trump has been.

>Obama looked pretty good.

Oh boy.

Hard to accept your views aren't the majority or mainstream, I know.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:12 am

I can't vote but I can speculate. I reacon Donald Trump would win
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Myrensis » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:14 am

Indo-Malaysia wrote:So when are they abolishing the electoral committee and making the popular vote the sole method of election?

Sadly Republicans believe that square footage of empty space is more important than actual people.

And since there are people in their 30's now who can't remember a Republican President who actually won the White House with the popular vote, that's not likely to change anytime soon.

Sapientia Et Bellum
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 10, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sapientia Et Bellum » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:31 am

Myrensis wrote:
Indo-Malaysia wrote:So when are they abolishing the electoral committee and making the popular vote the sole method of election?

Sadly Republicans believe that square footage of empty space is more important than actual people.

And since there are people in their 30's now who can't remember a Republican President who actually won the White House with the popular vote, that's not likely to change anytime soon.

>insert 2004 election

Regardless, its not a matter of empty space vs people... its a matter of those few who live in that empty space being dominated by those in the cities which trend wildly more liberal/progrssive.... The founding fathers gave the right for the state, not explicitly the people, to elect the president because they recognized the threat that direct democracy and tyranny of the majority would have on those within the dissenting opinion...

The key fact of the matter is that we are not a democracy, we are a representative republic in which the states are given an equal playing field to one another in politics despite population size (hence why our legislator has a senate and a house and not just the house).

"A popular election in this case is radically vicious. The ignorance of the people would put it in the power of some one set of men dispersed through the Union, and acting in concert, to delude them into any appointment." — Delegate Gerry, July 25, 1787
Il Duce Gianfranco Fini
"We are fascists, the heirs of fascism, the fascism of the year 2000" - Il Duce Gianfranco Fini

Economics Major (My ideals swing wildly between the parties occasionally due to my current education), Pro Interventionism, Pro NATO, Anti UN, Capitalist, Anti Russia, Anti China (Tariffs are still dumb though), and pro libertarian equality
In The Long Run, We Are All Dead

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:31 am

Sapientia Et Bellum wrote:
Myrensis wrote:

>insert 2004 election

Regardless, its not a matter of empty space vs people... its a matter of those few who live in that empty space being dominated by those in the cities which trend wildly more liberal/progrssive.... The founding fathers gave the right for the state, not explicitly the people, to elect the president because they recognized the threat that direct democracy and tyranny of the majority would have on those within the dissenting opinion...

The key fact of the matter is that we are not a democracy, we are a representative republic in which the states are given an equal playing field to one another in politics despite population size (hence why our legislator has a senate and a house and not just the house).

"A popular election in this case is radically vicious. The ignorance of the people would put it in the power of some one set of men dispersed through the Union, and acting in concert, to delude them into any appointment." — Delegate Gerry, July 25, 1787

The Electoral College was not designed with rural areas in mind, nor did it have anything to do with preventing tyranny of the majority. It was part of a compromise to get states with low citizen populations but high slave populations to ratify the Constitution. The 3/5th Compromise offered slave states more representation in Congress than they would have had if only their citizen population was counted, but these states also wanted the same compromise to give them more influence over the Presidency; therefore the Electoral College was created. If slavery didn't exist in the early days of the United States, or if slavery did exist but there was no 3/5th Compromise, there would be no Electoral College.

The Electoral College is a vestige of slavery. It had nothing to do with balancing rural vs. urban areas; it was about offering slave states incentive to ratify the Constitution.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General