NATION

PASSWORD

2019-2020 US Elections Megathread I- It Begins

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which Candidate do you support?

Bernie
33%
Beto
1%
Biden
5%
Buttigieg
9%
Harris
1%
Warren
6%
Yang
8%
Trump
29%
Weld
1%
Other
8%

Total votes : 308

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:28 pm

With Yang's tweet about abolishing the penny I am now officially convinced he's just adopting policy based on whatever he thinks will fly well with Internet goers. More specifically the Reddit crowd.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:31 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:I beg you to reconsider.

As the ideological opposite to the poster, I must also beg you to reconsider.

As someone who predicted 32/33 election seats in 2018, I won't beg anyone: Yang has no chance. Nor does Booker, Buttigieg, Inslee, Messam, or Williamson. I'm only paying attention to Booker for da funneh! Out of those who have yet to enter, I'm only seeing McAuliffe and Biden as viable candidates.
Last edited by Shofercia on Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Oranjea
Secretary

Founded: Jan 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Oranjea » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:32 pm

Valrifell wrote:With Yang's tweet about abolishing the penny I am now officially convinced he's just adopting policy based on whatever he thinks will fly well with Internet goers. More specifically the Reddit crowd.

Do you work for the zinc industry?

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:32 pm

Oranjea wrote:
Valrifell wrote:With Yang's tweet about abolishing the penny I am now officially convinced he's just adopting policy based on whatever he thinks will fly well with Internet goers. More specifically the Reddit crowd.

Oh shi-

I've been found out. Big Zinc, save me!

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:36 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Oranjea wrote:

Oh shi-

Yes, there's a card game for that :P
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:37 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
Oh shi-

I'm interested, but that would be off-topic.

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:46 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

nothings off topic in politics like just yesterday a video played by cbs evening news showed that beto somehow tried to shoehorn trump into what happened in Christchurch and then try to blame him for a fire bombing of a mosque right after he issued the travel ban. so he's helping the Democratic candidates by digging their hole deeper and deeper while several others are shooting themselves in the foot.
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:40 pm

Gig em Aggies wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

nothings off topic in politics like just yesterday a video played by cbs evening news showed that beto somehow tried to shoehorn trump into what happened in Christchurch and then try to blame him for a fire bombing of a mosque right after he issued the travel ban. so he's helping the Democratic candidates by digging their hole deeper and deeper while several others are shooting themselves in the foot.

Trump doesn't have to be shoehorned, he's right there in the shooter's manifesto.

Tyrassueb
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 25, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Tyrassueb » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:52 pm

Oranjea wrote:Isn't Bernie just too old? He would enter office at the age of 79, which coincidentally is the average life expectancy of American men. There is a serious chance he will die in office, or otherwise be severely impaired (Reagan ringing a bell?) His VP pick better be good.

No he isn't and debates about his age are ageist. And I agree, his VP pick will be very very important.
Justice Berniecrat

If the Colonel cooked chicken as well as Bernie does politics, he'd have been a General.

The Galactic Liberal Democracy
Minister

Founded: Jun 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Galactic Liberal Democracy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:53 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Oranjea wrote:

Oh shi-

We are destroying the conspirators one at a time. Our Reign of Truth will not stop every single one of you cannot establish globalism.
Last edited by The Galactic Liberal Democracy on Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOT STORMTROOPERS
Cossack Khanate wrote:This shall forever be known as World War Sh*t: Newark Aggression. Now if I see one more troop deployed, I will call on the force of all the Hindu gods to reverse time and wipe your race of the face of the planet. Cease.

The Black Party wrote:(TBP kamikaze's into all 99999999999 nukes before they hit our territory because we just have that many pilots ready to die for dah blak regime, we also counter-attack into your nation with our entire population of 45 million because this RP allows it.)

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Galatic Liberal Democracy short-circuits all of NS with FACTS and LOGIC

Oranjea
Secretary

Founded: Jan 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Oranjea » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:06 pm

Tyrassueb wrote:
Oranjea wrote:Isn't Bernie just too old? He would enter office at the age of 79, which coincidentally is the average life expectancy of American men. There is a serious chance he will die in office, or otherwise be severely impaired (Reagan ringing a bell?) His VP pick better be good.

No he isn't and debates about his age are ageist. And I agree, his VP pick will be very very important.

Why is it ageist? Do you have no concerns about a president dying in office?

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:28 pm

Tyrassueb wrote:

What the fuck is "ageist" about it?
Last edited by Telconi on Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:30 pm

Oranjea wrote:
Tyrassueb wrote:No he isn't and debates about his age are ageist. And I agree, his VP pick will be very very important.

The appropriate safeguards are already in place for that not to be a catastrophe.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:31 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Oranjea wrote:

The appropriate safeguards are already in place for that not to be a catastrophe.

Debatable.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:32 pm

Telconi wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Debatable.

The 25th exists if the President goes senile while in office and there's a clear line of succession in case the President (and all of his cabinet) goes down.

I don't see any bases uncovered, do you?

Tyrassueb
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 25, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Tyrassueb » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:37 pm

As per Google

Ageist - Adjective & Noun
Adjective: Characterized by or showing prejudice or discrimination on the grounds of a person's age. "A lot of ageist jokes about not being able to use technology"
Noun: a person with ageist views. "Critics who contend that her age is an issue have been dismissed as ageists who are out of touch with the times"

Do I have concerns about Bernie dying in office? No more so than any other president. We've only had 2 presidents die in office of natural causes (Harrison and Roosevelt) but 4 died of assassination (Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, Kennedy). And Bernie shows that he is still active and sound of mind, having stuck to his guns for what? 40 some years and still pounding out the same rhetoric? Dude has more energy than me even - I get worn out just walking a few blocks to turn in books at my local library, Bernie does something like 17 campaign stops in 15 states in around that same number of days or so. I can barely even stomach flying, letting alone being on a plane cross country repeatedly for two weeks (and more, considering he was pinballing around before and after those stops).

But trying to use age as a disqualifier beyond that established in the US Constitution is ageist.
Justice Berniecrat

If the Colonel cooked chicken as well as Bernie does politics, he'd have been a General.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:52 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Telconi wrote:
Debatable.

The 25th exists if the President goes senile while in office and there's a clear line of succession in case the President (and all of his cabinet) goes down.

Having succession doesnt avoid catastrophe, if people in that line are catastrophic.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:53 pm

Telconi wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Having succession doesnt avoid catastrophe, if people in that line are catastrophic.

Well, if people's only concern about Sanders is his age and they like everything else about the guy, then they should have faith in his appointees and people that would take up the mantle in the event of his unfortunate passing.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:55 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Telconi wrote:

Well, if people's only concern about Sanders is his age and they like everything else about the guy, then they should have faith in his appointees and people that would take up the mantle in the event of his unfortunate passing.

Hey, you never know, I had faith in Trumps successors until that monster Pelosi got back on that list.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:06 pm

Telconi wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Hey, you never know, I had faith in Trumps successors until that monster Pelosi got back on that list.

Oh, you're right, Speaker and President Pro Tempore come before cabinet positions. In that case his veep pick is all that matters.

Bahktar
Envoy

Founded: Mar 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Bahktar » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:07 pm

Telconi wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Pelosi would only become President if the POTUS and VPOTUS died at the same time, though.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:12 pm

Bahktar wrote:
Telconi wrote:

Pelosi would only become President if the POTUS and VPOTUS died at the same time, though.

Which is possible.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Bahktar
Envoy

Founded: Mar 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Bahktar » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:13 pm

Telconi wrote:
Bahktar wrote:

Which is possible.

Thankfully, it's very, very, very unlikely.

Mystic Warriors
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:30 pm

Bahktar wrote:
Telconi wrote:
Which is possible.

Thankfully, it's very, very, very unlikely.

Her being POTUS would be a gift from god.
Proud Trump Hater. Ban Fascism in all its forms. Disagreeing with a comment because you hate who said it is childish.

Mystic Warriors
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:30 pm

Bahktar wrote:
Telconi wrote:

False. Just removed.
Proud Trump Hater. Ban Fascism in all its forms. Disagreeing with a comment because you hate who said it is childish.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General