NATION

PASSWORD

US Government Shutdown- It's Over!... For Now

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Will the government shutdown in three weeks?

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes : 134

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:41 pm

Chernoslavia wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Ones who are being asked to work now without pay. Ones who are temporarily laid off, not as clear. Government contractors whose contracts are put on hold and therefore so are their employees, not so much. The people who needed the services provided who cannot avail themselves of services are effected.

We've been over this. It's a googleable thing, you weren't looking for the answer. You were trying to suggest that since we haven't gathered behind a circle of buses at an oil well while Humungus asks us to 'just walk away', the shutdown has no affect. It'd be disingenuous to even call that an argument. Take your hacky played out nonsense to the Yahoo comments section.

They fucking get back payments!

Not everyone will be made whole, not to mention costs incrued by delayed payment. But you know this, you just want to make a disingenuous argument.
Chernoslavia wrote:You lot are real pathetic at trying to make this like such a major crisis.

It is. We don't have to make anything.
Chernoslavia wrote: And surely you don’t need me to tell you where you can take your piece of shit source.

You are free to provide a better one. Or substantially refute the facts presented.
Chernoslavia wrote:You want to fix this mess?

No. I want the President to stop manufacturing it.
Chernoslavia wrote: How about getting your fucking side to just hand over the wall, and stop fucking pretending that 7 Billion is such a big fucking waste of money, when you lot have no problem spending over ten times that fucking amount for illegals. Oh but no! That would mean giving the big evil orange man what he wants :roll:

"BUuuuuuuut I waaaaaaaaaant iiiiiiiiittttt!" is not a good argument for a wall nor a reason to shut down a government.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:42 pm

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
Not to mention the lawsuits.

"Governor, why'd you call in the National Guard on federal workers?"

"I AIN'T NEVEH SCARED"

*Nat'l gaurd deploys Ma-Duece.*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHG2-45grEk
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012

Postby New haven america » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:42 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
See, the issue isn't necessarily the cost (although the 7 billion figure is still laughably and unrealistically optimistic), the issue lies with where the cost is going and what we could've spent it on.

Either we spend it on a wall that, as countlessly many have pointed out, would be ineffective at best and hilariously useless at worst, or we spend on stuff that we can get a return on. Like roads or something.

To be fair, what's more libertarian than encouraging a megalomaniac wannabe-autocrat into forcing a nation of 300 million people into funding a frankly idiotic building project purely to spite the very concept of government?

Telconi wrote:
I do find it funny how quickly "fiscal responsibility" becomes a virtue when the government wants to spend money on policies folks disagree with, and how quickly that virtue evaporates when the tables are turned.

Haha yeah it's really funny to the almost 3 million people who's vote didn't count in the election because of the broken Electoral College system.

When was the last time a Republican candidate won the popular vote? 12 years ago?

HAHA. IT'S SO FUNNY WHEN THE MAJORITY OF VOTERS IN THE COUNTRY DON'T GET WHAT THEY WANT. HAHA.

But Rich, don't you see, this system keeps us from having to deal with the unthinkable: Majority Rule, or also known as Tyranny by the Majority.
Last edited by New haven america on Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:43 pm

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
Not to mention the lawsuits.

"Governor, why'd you call in the National Guard on federal workers?"

"I AIN'T NEVEH SCARED"

*Nat'l gaurd deploys Ma-Duece.*

Ya and the American people where fucking furious after that.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:45 pm

New haven america wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
To be fair, what's more libertarian than encouraging a megalomaniac wannabe-autocrat into forcing a nation of 300 million people into funding a frankly idiotic building project purely to spite the very concept of government?

Haha yeah it's really funny to the almost 3 million people who's vote didn't count in the election because of the broken Electoral College system.

When was the last time a Republican candidate won the popular vote? 12 years ago?

HAHA. IT'S SO FUNNY WHEN THE MAJORITY OF VOTERS IN THE COUNTRY DON'T GET WHAT THEY WANT. HAHA.

But Rich, don't you see, this system keeps us from having to deal with the unthinkable: Majority Rule, or also known as Tyranny by the Majority.

I would much rather have that than fucking Tyranny By The Flyover States.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:48 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
See, the issue isn't necessarily the cost (although the 7 billion figure is still laughably and unrealistically optimistic), the issue lies with where the cost is going and what we could've spent it on.

Either we spend it on a wall that, as countlessly many have pointed out, would be ineffective at best and hilariously useless at worst, or we spend on stuff that we can get a return on. Like roads or something.

Telconi wrote:
I do find it funny how quickly "fiscal responsibility" becomes a virtue when the government wants to spend money on policies folks disagree with, and how quickly that virtue evaporates when the tables are turned.

Who pissed in your coffee this morning?
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:48 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
New haven america wrote:But Rich, don't you see, this system keeps us from having to deal with the unthinkable: Majority Rule, or also known as Tyranny by the Majority.

Which is why they believe we have the EC, to keep them from being screwed over by your metropolitan ideas like Religious Equality, or Women's Rights, or the evil that is UHC.

In reality it was made for in order to keep the slave states happy and keep the common man from making a choice the government doesn't agree with, cause you know, apparently being a republic means American can't be a democracy (Yes, these are actually things Pro-ECers have told me).
Last edited by New haven america on Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:50 pm

New haven america wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

Which is why they believe we have the EC, to keep them from being screwed over by your metropolitan ideas like Religious Equality, or Women's Rights, or the evil that is UHC.

In reality it was made for in order to keep the slave states happy and keep the common man from making a choice the government doesn't agree with, cause you know, apparently being a republic means American can't be a democracy (Yes, these are actually things Pro-ECers have told me).

Sure, abolishing the Electoral College would certainly be a boon for democracy and the Democrats...

But how funny of 'em to never put Proportional Representation on the table as well!

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:52 pm

New haven america wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

I’d prefer a two round system for the president, 5 member district for each state elected by STV for the senate, and a 500 member HoR elected by closed list PR
Last edited by Thermodolia on Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:54 pm

Western Vale Confederacy wrote:
New haven america wrote:Which is why they believe we have the EC, to keep them from being screwed over by your metropolitan ideas like Religious Equality, or Women's Rights, or the evil that is UHC.

Sure, abolishing the Electoral College would certainly be a boon for democracy and the Democrats...

But how funny of 'em to never put Proportional Representation on the table as well!

The EC is bad because it has caused a shift towards Republicans, not because it's unfair.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:55 pm

New haven america wrote:Which is why they believe we have the EC, to keep them from being screwed over by your metropolitan ideas like Religious Equality, or Women's Rights, or the evil that is UHC.

You know darn heckin' well that the bulk of the posters on this board who've advocated abolishing the EC have also pushed for that kind of thing.

I know as a centrist than an ideologically consistent partisan is your worst nightmare, but here we are.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:55 pm

Telconi wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

Who pissed in your coffee this morning?

The coffee maker.

Who pissed in YOUR coffee? Hillary Clinton?

Probably drank that shit up too.

I don't think we have to go THAT far.

What else you want us to do, drink tea and eat biscuits? We ain't Brits here.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:58 pm

Telconi wrote:

The EC is bad because it has caused a shift towards Republicans, not because it's unfair.

If you think that's why I dislike the EC, then you really haven't been paying attention these past, oh... 3 or so years.
Last edited by New haven america on Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:00 pm

New haven america wrote:
Telconi wrote:

If you think that's why I dislike the EC, then you really haven't been paying attention these past, oh... 3 or so years.

Same thing can be said for anybody who still supports Trump, frankly.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:03 pm

Chernoslavia wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Ones who are being asked to work now without pay. Ones who are temporarily laid off, not as clear. Government contractors whose contracts are put on hold and therefore so are their employees, not so much. The people who needed the services provided who cannot avail themselves of services are effected.

We've been over this. It's a googleable thing, you weren't looking for the answer. You were trying to suggest that since we haven't gathered behind a circle of buses at an oil well while Humungus asks us to 'just walk away', the shutdown has no affect. It'd be disingenuous to even call that an argument. Take your hacky played out nonsense to the Yahoo comments section.

You lot are real pathetic at trying to make this like such a major crisis.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:03 pm

New haven america wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

This claim would have some truth to it if the EC did bring about significant changes in religious equality, women's rights, or UHC.
It has not.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:03 pm

New haven america wrote:
Telconi wrote:

Sure I have.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:05 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Chernoslavia wrote:
They fucking get back payments!

No they don’t. They are not legally entitled to back pay.

You lot are real pathetic at trying to make this like such a major crisis. And surely you don’t need me to tell you where you can take your piece of shit source.

It is a major crisis. Any day all 15,000 ATC workers could go on strike crippling the economy. The FDA isn’t inspecting any food anymore so I hope you like salmonella. You probably aren’t going to get your tax refund either. Oh and the coast guard is just out their without pay.

But sure this isn’t a crisis.

You want to fix this mess? How about getting your fucking side to just hand over the wall, and stop fucking pretending that 7 Billion is such a big fucking waste of money,

And what tell Trump that if he pitches a fit he gets his way? Ya no fuck that.

when you lot have no problem spending over ten times that fucking amount for illegals. Oh but no! That would mean giving the big evil orange man what he wants :roll:

You spend way too much time drinking the kool aid

1. And the FDA has immediately resumed inspections afterwards...just without pay. Also there’s no shortage of produce going on.

2. Yes they do, they always have and always will.

3. Dude at this point both sides are being whiney bitches.
Last edited by Chernoslavia on Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:12 pm

Chernoslavia wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:No they don’t. They are not legally entitled to back pay.

It is a major crisis. Any day all 15,000 ATC workers could go on strike crippling the economy. The FDA isn’t inspecting any food anymore so I hope you like salmonella. You probably aren’t going to get your tax refund either. Oh and the coast guard is just out their without pay.

1. And the FDA has immediately resumed inspections afterwards...just without pay. Also there’s no shortage of produce going on.

And they should work without pay beacuse?

I don't see how the FDA not getting pay is a good thing.

No just the side that shut down the government because mommy congress said that the Super Wall man action figure was too expensive.

All Trump is doing is just throwing a tantrum at the toy store.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:17 pm

Chernoslavia wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:No they don’t. They are not legally entitled to back pay.

Says the guy who wants the wall NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:21 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Chernoslavia wrote:

No just the side that shut down the government because mommy congress said that the Super Wall man action figure was too expensive.

This is fairly typical Trump, getting people to work for him and not paying them. Trust me, despite all the noises he's made, he doesn't care a jot about the people not getting paid.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:21 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Chernoslavia wrote:

But rich, he really really wants the wall!!! All the cool kids at school have one.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:22 pm

The Rich Port wrote:

But rich, he really really wants the wall!!! All the cool kids at school have one.

NO YO0UR'E WH9INING

Edit: typing with gloves on, but this works fine anyway XD
Last edited by The Rich Port on Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:32 pm

Chernoslavia wrote:

I think everyone should get paid for their labor. But the FDA is not going to seize food inspections because of the shut down and nor will farms stop producing food.

I’m getting fairly annoyed of people acting like the apocalypse just started or shit has hit the fan. I’m supposed to be the paranoid militia guy in NSG!

Yeah and the people suddenly giving a shit about government spending even when the wall will only affect less than 1 percent of our spending, when really it’s more about saying “no” to Trump.
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:43 pm

Chernoslavia wrote:

I think everyone should get paid for their labor. But the FDA is not going to seize food inspections because of the shut down and nor will farms stop producing food.

I’m getting fairly annoyed of people acting like the apocalypse just started or shit has hit the fan. I’m supposed to be the paranoid militia guy in NSG!

Yeah and the people suddenly giving a shit about government spending even when the wall will only affect less than 1 percent of our spending, when really it’s more about saying “no” to Trump.

Unless the FDA goes on strike. Which they should as part of a general strike.

The most powerful nation on earth has shut down beacuse the leader of zed nation wants a wall and congress disagrees. This leads to lots of people getting fucked out of pay over a wall. At least it's embarrassing. At most it's a massive problem for the people not getting payed and businesses that rely on them as customers.

It is a useless overpriced wall. It's about finding a more cost-effective way to combat this shrinking problem. Oh and a way that would actually work. Because a wall wouldn't stop the number one way Illegals get in, overstaying there visas. Drug dealers don't care about the wall ether.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General