NATION

PASSWORD

MAGAThread XV: Because Another

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:47 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Galloism wrote:Shit people, fire your tax guy.

I sent my truckers back to renegotiate with their companies and get those companies to set up an accountable plan with nontaxable per diem reimbursement. One changed jobs to a company that had an accountable plan.

A tax guy isn’t just there to calculate the past, but also reshape the future.

Assumption being he didn't try. Family members are members of the cult of donnie. We tried to tell them the tax cuts wouldn't do what they expected. They didn't believe us and they are stunned at how little they got back or had to pay......

A lot of that is about your approach.

I approach it as "if nothing changes about your situation, you're going to get screwed. However, we can change your situation slightly, and you'll wind off even better under the new code than you were under the old status quo."
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:55 am

Galloism wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Assumption being he didn't try. Family members are members of the cult of donnie. We tried to tell them the tax cuts wouldn't do what they expected. They didn't believe us and they are stunned at how little they got back or had to pay......

A lot of that is about your approach.

I approach it as "if nothing changes about your situation, you're going to get screwed. However, we can change your situation slightly, and you'll wind off even better under the new code than you were under the old status quo."

It also helps to have their finance info and be able to show projections. We didn't have that. What is surprising is they complain but still think donnie is maga.......
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:57 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Galloism wrote:A lot of that is about your approach.

It also helps to have their finance info and be able to show projections. We didn't have that. What is surprising is they complain but still think donnie is maga.......

Well, that's true. I very specifically have that info for clients. They give it to me freely because they know I can execute magic on it and make money appear, or at least make less money disappear.

But in the article I linked, it was tax pros grousing about how their truck driver clients got screwed by the new tax law. I'm scoffing a bit because that's kind of their fault - they didn't look to the future when the law was passed. They're just grousing about things that they watched happen and did nothing about, saying how horrible it is for their clients. They knew this was going to happen, or should have known, and did nothing.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:06 am

Galloism wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Well, that's true. I very specifically have that info for clients. They give it to me freely because they know I can execute magic on it and make money appear, or at least make less money disappear.

But in the article I linked, it was tax pros grousing about how their truck driver clients got screwed by the new tax law. I'm scoffing a bit because that's kind of their fault - they didn't look to the future when the law was passed. They're just grousing about things that they watched happen and did nothing about, saying how horrible it is for their clients. They knew this was going to happen, or should have known, and did nothing.

Indeed. The probably drank the koolaid and thought everything was going to be great. I am sorry when it comes to household income; I never trust a politician. Least of all Republicans (got screwed by St. Reagan).

People seem to have stopped checking on things like this. Few seem to realize the future loss of mortgage deduction has begun.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 20, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:04 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:Trump vetoes bill to end US support for the Saudi led Yemen War, because he is Saudi's bitch.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47958014

Who wants to bet his business tax returns will show investment in Saudi Arabia, that's if we ever see them.
A Golden Civic: The New Pragmatic Libertarian
My Words: Indeed, Indubitably & Malarkey
Retired Admin in NSGS and NS Parliament

Accountant, Author, History Buff, Political Junkie
“Has ambition so eclipsed principle?” ~ Mitt Romney
"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein
"Trust, but verify." ~ Ronald Reagan

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:10 am

Zurkerx wrote:
An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:Trump vetoes bill to end US support for the Saudi led Yemen War, because he is Saudi's bitch.

Who wants to bet his business tax returns will show investment in Saudi Arabia, that's if we ever see them.

We won't and dealings with Russia and Saudi Arabia are why.
Economic:-8.12 Social:-7.59 Moral Rules:5 Moral Order:-5
Muravyets: Maineiacs, you are brilliant, too! I stand in delighted awe.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
Galloism: If someone will build a wall around Donald Trump, I'll pay for it.
Bottle tells it like it is
add 6,928 to post count

Bahktar
Envoy

Founded: Mar 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Bahktar » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:31 am

San Lumen wrote:

Racists deny their actions have consequences. His base eats his despicable racist comments up and believes everything his says.

I think the prize goes to this comment to that tweet:

She's been very disrespectful in my opinion, so whatever happens to her, she deserves it. Very presidential!

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:13 am

Maineiacs wrote:
Zurkerx wrote:

I mean, he has but, I'm pretty sure Congress will get them one way or another. Even if they can't get them while he's President, when he finishes his 1st/2nd term, they may still go after him and in that case, he won't have an excuse. But time will tell.

Bahktar wrote:
San Lumen wrote:Racists deny their actions have consequences. His base eats his despicable racist comments up and believes everything his says.

She's been very disrespectful in my opinion, so whatever happens to her, she deserves it. Very presidential!

I can't wait for Republicans to start bashing a Democrat President that acts like Trump, the hypocrisy will be its finest.

"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:14 am

Zurkerx wrote:

But he is under an audit!

Bahktar
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Bahktar » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:05 pm

Zurkerx wrote:
I can't wait for Republicans to start bashing a Democrat President that acts like Trump, the hypocrisy will be its finest.

I hope that we never, ever get a President like Trump in any other form again. I am sure that if someone like Donald Trump ran for the Democratic Party candidacy, he would have almost no chance of getting it. The Democratic Party is not compromised to the degree that the Trumpublican Republican Party is.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:09 pm

Bahktar wrote:
Zurkerx wrote:

I hope that we never, ever get a President like Trump in any other form again. I am sure that if someone like Donald Trump ran for the Democratic Party candidacy, he would have almost no chance of getting it. The Democratic Party is not compromised to the degree that the Trumpublican Republican Party is.

I have a feeling that a generation from now we'll look back on Trump with longing.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Bahktar
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Bahktar » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:09 pm

Telconi wrote:
Bahktar wrote:

I have a feeling that a generation from now we'll look back on Trump with longing.

I am sure you will :p .

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:09 pm

Zurkerx wrote:
Maineiacs wrote:

I mean, he has but, I'm pretty sure Congress will get them one way or another. Even if they can't get them while he's President, when he finishes his 1st/2nd term, they may still go after him and in that case, he won't have an excuse. But time will tell.

Bahktar wrote:

Hypocrisy is what runs america
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:21 pm

Telconi wrote:
Bahktar wrote:

Hmmmm? I am sure we pretty much hit rock bottom with donnie.

Yes I said it! Let the fates prove me wrong again!

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:25 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Telconi wrote:

I hope so, but it's looking more and more like we haven't.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:35 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Telconi wrote:

I'm not sure if we reached rock bottom considering we'll likely have future President's like Trump regardless of political ideology; he did set that dangerous precedent after all. However, America could have nominated better people too. Eh, time to drink the bottle of wine I got for free from work today.

*pops the cork.

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:38 pm

Bahktar wrote:
Zurkerx wrote:

Both parties are losing support as more and more identify as "independents", which is a stretch because they lean one way or the other. But I do think the Democrats are becoming more and more like a Democrat Trump, just my opinion.

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Zurkerx wrote:

Hypocrisy is what runs america

It unfortunately does.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:52 pm

Zurkerx wrote:
Bahktar wrote:

Both parties are losing support as more and more identify as "independents", which is a stretch because they lean one way or the other. But I do think the Democrats are becoming more and more like a Democrat Trump, just my opinion.

Seems pretty flat to me, honestly.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:01 pm

Good to know NK issue is over and we shall have peace.. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... SApp_Other
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:18 pm

Telconi wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

I hope so, but it's looking more and more like we haven't.

Damn it! I forgot about Don Jr and Eric!

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:33 am

White House and Justice Dept. Officials Discussed Mueller Report Before Release

Well, this is going to turn bad real fast, especially if Trump's Legal Team was able to build defense before its release.

Seangoli
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:01 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Telconi wrote:

As much as I dislike the President, to be frank we have had worse. Harding and Andrew Jackson come tonmind as being almost total piles of crap with few redeemable qualitjes to their tenure. Hell, Trump has nothing on Harding when it comes to corruption or the like. The guy ran so many cons out of the White House, it was almost unbelievable. Hell, even on vacations Harding has Trump beat, as he immediately went on a 9 month vacation after being sworn in, doing jack all during that tine.

Trump does seem like a photo-copy of Harding, appointing business people to positions that are supposed to regulate their businesses, cronyism, and generally taking advantage of his position for gain.

That said, Harding was a hell of a lot more flagrant in his abuse of the office than Trump is, which puts him slightly "ahead" in Rock-Bottom.

Ao basically, Trump isn't rock bottom, he is just a much lazier, off-brand version of Rock bottom.
Last edited by Seangoli on Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:03 am

Seangoli wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

As much as I dislike the President, to be frank we have had worse. Harding and Andrew Jackson come tonmind as being almost total piles of crap with few redeemable qualitjes to their tenure. Hell, Trump has nothing on Harding when it comes to corruption or the like. The guy ran so many cons out of the White House, it was almost unbelievable. Hell, even on vacations Harding has Trump beat, as he immediately went on a 9 month vacation after being sworn in, doing jack all during that tine.

Trump does seem like a photo-copy of Harding, appointing business people to positions that are supposed to regulate their businesses, cronyism, and generally taking advantage of his position for gain.

That said, Harding was a hell of a lot more flagrant in his abuse of the office than Trump is, which puts him slightly "ahead" in Rock-Bottom.

Ao basically, Trump isn't rock bottom, he is just a much lazier, off-brand version of Rock bottom.

Iirc it wasn't exactly that Harding was personally corrupt, he was just a bumbling bafoon and people working in his administration worked the cons on his behalf.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:31 am

Live Updates of Mueller's Report

I'll read the report later but what I'm hearing is that the Trump Campaign "expected" benefit from Russia's illegal actions and the fact they didn't subpoena Trump because "it would delay the investigation". These and more bits are bound to get a lot of attention.

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 20, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:45 am

Holy shit.

"If we had confidence after a thorough investigation of the facts that the President clearly did not commit obstruction of justice, we would so state"

This is clear legalese for 'we found evidence to support that Donald Trump did commit obstruction of justice'. This is monumental.
The name's James. James Usari. Well, my name is not actually James Usari, so don't bother actually looking it up, but it'll do for now.
Lack of a real name means compensation through a real face. My debt is settled
Part-time Kebab tycoon in Glasgow.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General