NATION

PASSWORD

Le Champion

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Does Leblanc get any money?

0 dollars (money is for champion only)
37
44%
A number meant to cause further injury (ex 1 dollar)
8
10%
X dollars, the EXACT amount needed for the healthcare treatment (technical compensation, that's all that's owned)
18
21%
1 million dollars
3
4%
1-4 million dollars
6
7%
5 million dollars (50% of all winnings)
7
8%
>5 million dollars
0
No votes
10 million dollars
5
6%
 
Total votes : 84

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22057
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Le Champion

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:49 pm

This is a follow up ethical dilemma scenario to "The Price of Victory":

You were a participant in a cut throat turn-based magical duelling world tournament in which the winner got 2 billion dollars and all non-winners lost 2/3 of their total wealth. You really wanted to be the champion. You made it to the finals where you faced off against a French duelist, Emilia Leblanc, on a floating platform high above the city of Rome.

You were going to win but Leblanc walks to the very edge of the platform and said to you:

"I have come too far to back down now. Either I walk away the champion, or I die. That's how much I am determined to win. You can win. But you'll have to kill me. Are you willing to do what it takes to win?

After some hesitation, you warn her to step away from the edge because you are going to attack. She refuses. When the timer is very close, you order your wizard to attack the Pyramid. The force of the impact knocks Leblanc off the edge of the platform; she screams as she falls through the sky and lands many many stories below on the concrete.

...

Following the above events, Leblanc is hospitalised. She has survived her injuries. However, she is severely and permanently maimed. She's lost the use of both of her legs (from the shattering of the joints), the neural connections to her left arm have also been "severed" by the shock of the impact, making her unable to move it ever again.

You become the Champion and pocket your 2 billion dollars. Unfortunately, after a whole bunch of taxes, surprise twister regulations, and a lot of corruption on the part of the judges, you only pocket 10 million dollars. As per the customs of the games, the law does not come after you for the "attempted murder."

A few weeks later, while Leblanc is still in the hospital, she demands an audience with you. You hesitate but decide to show up in any regard.

Leblanc ironically and coldly congratulates you over your victory, saying that you "deserve" to be the Champion because you did what was necessary. She remarks that she can never walk again and that she basically only has one arm now. She tells you that she hopes you enjoy your win. However, after a few lines of conversation exchange, she blatantly tells you that she hopes you die a slow and painful death and burn in the fires of hell.

You get out before things escalate further.

On your way out of the hospital, you are approached by Leblanc's sister. The sister tells you that Leblanc was supposed to ask you for a favour but was too proud to ask. She apologises on behalf of Leblanc for any unbecoming comments. The sister then tells you the following:

1. After losing 2/3 of her wealth and the rest of the liabilities, play out, Leblanc is in fact in serious financial trouble. She cannot even afford the expensive healthcare treatment that she's undergoing right now (free healthcare/government subsidies of healthcare all over Europe have generally been abolished).

2. The sister then says you should consider giving Leblanc some of the prize money to help her out. Its completely unfair that the runner-up to Champion gets absolutely nothing. "You don't need the entire 10 million, you already get the glory of being the Champion." Why not give her a few millions to help her lick her wounds? "She's going to spend the rest of her life without the use of her legs and with only one hand."

After some verification with your investigators, you find out that the above statements are true.

You have 10 million dollars from the win.

So then what do you do? Do you give Leblanc any money? How much? What is your justification?

(due to the complexity of the scenario, OP reserves the rights to make edits/clarifications)

Because I feel deeply uncomfortable about what I have done and I want to feel like a good person again, I will give her 3 million dollars. Being crippled for life is some serious hardship.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:32 am, edited 7 times in total.
Reincarnation and Successor of God Kefka +~4500 posts


Art Thread (http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic ... #p19679163)
[/b]

User avatar
Dogmeat
Minister
 
Posts: 2060
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:52 pm

Screw Leblanc, I have money!

User avatar
Bombadil
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8924
Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Bombadil » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:08 pm

Can you remind me if she offered to give me any portion of the winnings in her whole 'I'll fall..' gambit, because if not then I don't see why she expects me to give her anything.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22057
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:14 pm

Bombadil wrote:Can you remind me if she offered to give me any portion of the winnings in her whole 'I'll fall..' gambit, because if not then I don't see why she expects me to give her anything.


The issue of the prize money was not raised during the match nor during her gambit

Probably fair to assume it was a winner take all mentality at that time
Reincarnation and Successor of God Kefka +~4500 posts


Art Thread (http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic ... #p19679163)
[/b]

User avatar
Bombadil
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8924
Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Bombadil » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:16 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Bombadil wrote:Can you remind me if she offered to give me any portion of the winnings in her whole 'I'll fall..' gambit, because if not then I don't see why she expects me to give her anything.


The issue of the prize money was not raised during the match nor during her gambit

Probably fair to assume it was a winner take all mentality at that time


Maybe she should have thought it through better.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22057
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:18 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
The issue of the prize money was not raised during the match nor during her gambit

Probably fair to assume it was a winner take all mentality at that time


Maybe she should have thought it through better.


So as Michael corleone might say

“My offer is... Nothing.”

Is that your position?
Reincarnation and Successor of God Kefka +~4500 posts


Art Thread (http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic ... #p19679163)
[/b]

User avatar
Valentine Z
Senator
 
Posts: 3955
Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Valentine Z » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:21 pm

$1. She can use it to pay the Ferryman Charon to cross the River Styx.

All's fair in the game, and sure, I feel bad for injuring her, but I wouldn't say all those words if we switched places (that is, I became the injured and she was the victor).

And she brought it upon herself. There's a difference between me coldly doing something and being in control (that is, I chose to injure her), but for this scenario? She chose to attempt to plummet to her own death, so that's her loss and in her control. Could have just accepted defeat and swallow that pride.

Enjoy the $1. You'll need it.

(I would also ask how in the hell I only get 0.5 % of my promised winnings, but I will assume that it went to the mobs, the corruption, and to my mom).
Last edited by Valentine Z on Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Sierlijke und Verwonderlijk Feline Utopia et its Heerlijk Autonomous Opperheerschappij ov Valentine Z !
>>> >>> >>> Q & A Here! <<< <<< <<<
• About me.
• You thought I'm a She. But it is I, a dude!
Silver Commonwealth is the long-lost, evil, and short brother of Valentine Z!
• Eat my freaking tranquility. - Zenyatta
• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.

User avatar
Bombadil
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8924
Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Bombadil » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:32 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Maybe she should have thought it through better.


So as Michael corleone might say

“My offer is... Nothing.”

Is that your position?


I'll throw her a million.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22057
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:37 pm

Valentine Z wrote:$1. She can use it to pay the Ferryman Charon to cross the River Styx.

All's fair in the game, and sure, I feel bad for injuring her, but I wouldn't say all those words if we switched places (that is, I became the injured and she was the victor).

And she brought it upon herself. There's a difference between me coldly doing something and being in control (that is, I chose to injure her), but for this scenario? She chose to attempt to plummet to her own death, so that's her loss and in her control. Could have just accepted defeat and swallow that pride.

Enjoy the $1. You'll need it.

(I would also ask how in the hell I only get 0.5 % of my promised winnings, but I will assume that it went to the mobs, the corruption, and to my mom).


But why not just give nothing?

0_O

Why add to the injury?
Reincarnation and Successor of God Kefka +~4500 posts


Art Thread (http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic ... #p19679163)
[/b]

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22057
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:38 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
So as Michael corleone might say

“My offer is... Nothing.”

Is that your position?


I'll throw her a million.


I see...
Reincarnation and Successor of God Kefka +~4500 posts


Art Thread (http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic ... #p19679163)
[/b]

User avatar
Valentine Z
Senator
 
Posts: 3955
Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Valentine Z » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:39 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:$1. She can use it to pay the Ferryman Charon to cross the River Styx.

All's fair in the game, and sure, I feel bad for injuring her, but I wouldn't say all those words if we switched places (that is, I became the injured and she was the victor).

And she brought it upon herself. There's a difference between me coldly doing something and being in control (that is, I chose to injure her), but for this scenario? She chose to attempt to plummet to her own death, so that's her loss and in her control. Could have just accepted defeat and swallow that pride.

Enjoy the $1. You'll need it.

(I would also ask how in the hell I only get 0.5 % of my promised winnings, but I will assume that it went to the mobs, the corruption, and to my mom).


But why not just give nothing?

0_O

Why add to the injury?


Words hurt, man. I mean, I can self-praise that I am not a heartless bastard, but when she used words, I will use a small action to get back at her. ;)

I will probably do this if along the way she insulted my Ma.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Sierlijke und Verwonderlijk Feline Utopia et its Heerlijk Autonomous Opperheerschappij ov Valentine Z !
>>> >>> >>> Q & A Here! <<< <<< <<<
• About me.
• You thought I'm a She. But it is I, a dude!
Silver Commonwealth is the long-lost, evil, and short brother of Valentine Z!
• Eat my freaking tranquility. - Zenyatta
• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22057
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:40 pm

Valentine Z wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
But why not just give nothing?

0_O

Why add to the injury?


Words hurt, man. I mean, I can self-praise that I am not a heartless bastard, but when she used words, I will use a small action to get back at her. ;)

I will probably do this if along the way she insulted my Ma.


So it’s in retaliation to her attitude at the hospital meeting?
Reincarnation and Successor of God Kefka +~4500 posts


Art Thread (http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic ... #p19679163)
[/b]

User avatar
Valentine Z
Senator
 
Posts: 3955
Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Valentine Z » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:42 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:
Words hurt, man. I mean, I can self-praise that I am not a heartless bastard, but when she used words, I will use a small action to get back at her. ;)

I will probably do this if along the way she insulted my Ma.


So it’s in retaliation to her attitude at the hospital meeting?


Yup.
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Sierlijke und Verwonderlijk Feline Utopia et its Heerlijk Autonomous Opperheerschappij ov Valentine Z !
>>> >>> >>> Q & A Here! <<< <<< <<<
• About me.
• You thought I'm a She. But it is I, a dude!
Silver Commonwealth is the long-lost, evil, and short brother of Valentine Z!
• Eat my freaking tranquility. - Zenyatta
• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22057
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:44 pm

Valentine Z wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
So it’s in retaliation to her attitude at the hospital meeting?


Yup.


What if she didn’t say those things out of instinctive anger/resentment?

Would she have gotten any money?
Reincarnation and Successor of God Kefka +~4500 posts


Art Thread (http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic ... #p19679163)
[/b]

User avatar
Valentine Z
Senator
 
Posts: 3955
Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Valentine Z » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:55 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:
Yup.


What if she didn’t say those things out of instinctive anger/resentment?

Would she have gotten any money?


Maybe a million... or two. Then I will lecture her about how asinine and dumb she was for manipulating me.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Sierlijke und Verwonderlijk Feline Utopia et its Heerlijk Autonomous Opperheerschappij ov Valentine Z !
>>> >>> >>> Q & A Here! <<< <<< <<<
• About me.
• You thought I'm a She. But it is I, a dude!
Silver Commonwealth is the long-lost, evil, and short brother of Valentine Z!
• Eat my freaking tranquility. - Zenyatta
• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.

User avatar
Sougra
Envoy
 
Posts: 219
Founded: Mar 20, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sougra » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:59 pm

In the scenario, I'd give her an amount I'd consider acceptable, so long as I'm also able to meet my expenses, because I believe my mom is still hospitalized and I'm still in debt (unless you edited those parts out). I may have won, but that's a fight and this is life, one suggests a certain approach, the other has a completely different one. After a fight, you go ahead and treat the other person no differently than you, and I'd give her some money, just because I'd consider it the right thing to do. Doing a good thing to a horrible human being doesn't negate the fact that it's a good action. Of course that's me, the person.

Would the character from the last one do it? Well, the difference is that your OP in the other one suggested a certain ideology that those who participate in this tournament would prescribe to, as well as there being some logical inferences, but this is being framed as "would I, the person, do it?", at least to me.

But the character from the last one may not, simply because they see it as this being the rightful outcome of her stupid and frankly idiotic gambit. In their eyes, all is fair in love and war. Now, as me the person, I disagree with that, otherwise people wouldn't argue about who was right in any given conflict, but that's another discussion. For them, if you're the loser, lose gracefully, and accept it. They wouldn't expect mercy from the victor, so why should she? Of course, that's just the character, I've already given you my idea as me the person.
"Nobody here on NSG is sane, including me."



Just in case, whenever I really discuss something, it's usually under the pretense of the Socratic Method or the devil's advocate, so just know that I don't always advocate for what I'm saying. Thank you.

P.S. I know my sig is ugly, so send me tips through TGs if you're really that bothered by it. Thanks.

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22057
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:33 pm

Valentine Z wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
What if she didn’t say those things out of instinctive anger/resentment?

Would she have gotten any money?


Maybe a million... or two. Then I will lecture her about how asinine and dumb she was for manipulating me.


so what you're saying is that her pride did her in twice?
Reincarnation and Successor of God Kefka +~4500 posts


Art Thread (http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic ... #p19679163)
[/b]

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22057
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:42 pm

Dogmeat wrote:Screw Leblanc, I have money!


so you're not giving her anything?

why not?
Reincarnation and Successor of God Kefka +~4500 posts


Art Thread (http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic ... #p19679163)
[/b]

User avatar
Geneviev
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8317
Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Geneviev » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:05 pm

She gets all of the money. After all, what happened was my fault in this situation.
Give music to dementia patients
Bring music education back to schools
"When words fail, music speaks." -Shakespeare
"Music expresses feeling and thought, without language; it was below and before speech, and it is above and beyond all words." -Robert G. Ingersoll
Now 15 years old. Listen to music and have a nice day.

User avatar
The National Salvation Front for Russia
Envoy
 
Posts: 327
Founded: Nov 19, 2018
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby The National Salvation Front for Russia » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:12 pm

Yeah, I'd fork over enough cash for the medical treatment and not a dime more.

But I'd donate a million or two to some charity so that she might get the benefit if she stops being an asshole.
Russian Nationalist & Christian Democrat
Мы спасeм Россию!

Cлужить России - To Serve Russia

User avatar
The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 6016
Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:26 pm

Sougra wrote:In the scenario, I'd give her an amount I'd consider acceptable, so long as I'm also able to meet my expenses, because I believe my mom is still hospitalized and I'm still in debt (unless you edited those parts out).

Last I saw, those parts had been edited out.

As for LeBlanc, she gets the exact amount of money -- to the penny -- needed to cover her medical care. On condition that my character will be photographed donating the money, being sickly sweet and sympathetic to her poor, broken compatriot.

The images of the permanently damaged LeBlanc will then be used as promotional images -- vastly inflated and hung from every wall -- for a multi-million campaign to ban the sport that so injured her (instead funding healthier sports).

With the rest of the money, my character plans to live comfortably on her reputation as a truly charitable person (and the interest).
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

The Writer's Block Possible Issue Error? or Unusual Issue Effects? (check OPs) Current Issues (Spoilers!)

My nation is not representative of my beliefs or politics.

User avatar
Heloin
Minister
 
Posts: 2070
Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Heloin » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:30 pm

Why would I visit her in the hospital?
Suck whatever genitals you find least appealing. - Gabriel Morton
Go Springboks! Go Sables!
I've got an Art Thread, check it out!
Names Jennifer
Proud Zimbabwean
LGBT
Rare White Zimbo
Loves dogs

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22057
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:35 pm

Heloin wrote:Why would I visit her in the hospital?


In part because you didn’t think to refuse and in part because,

As Calvin Candie might say in a thick accent:

“It’s a custom here in this game... that upon the completion of the finals and the winner being decided that the two par-tays... SHAKE HANDS. It’s a gesture of goodwill.”

Needlessly to say the conversation went south with her so you left with no handshake
Reincarnation and Successor of God Kefka +~4500 posts


Art Thread (http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic ... #p19679163)
[/b]

User avatar
The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 6016
Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:36 pm

Heloin wrote:Why would I visit her in the hospital?

*shrug*

Why would I, as a person, have entered the competition? I view it as a character I'm playing.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

The Writer's Block Possible Issue Error? or Unusual Issue Effects? (check OPs) Current Issues (Spoilers!)

My nation is not representative of my beliefs or politics.

User avatar
Heloin
Minister
 
Posts: 2070
Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Heloin » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:40 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Heloin wrote:Why would I visit her in the hospital?


In part because you didn’t think to refuse and in part because,

As Calvin Candie might say in a thick accent:

“It’s a custom here in this game... that upon the completion of the finals and the winner being decided that the two par-tays... SHAKE HANDS. It’s a gesture of goodwill.”

Needlessly to say the conversation went south with her so you left with no handshake

Well I'd of just walked over to her mangled body at the bottom of the death Yu-Gi-Oh thing. and shouted "Good Game" as they carted her off, and be done with it.
Suck whatever genitals you find least appealing. - Gabriel Morton
Go Springboks! Go Sables!
I've got an Art Thread, check it out!
Names Jennifer
Proud Zimbabwean
LGBT
Rare White Zimbo
Loves dogs

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cesken, Dresderstan, Google [Bot], Greater La Habana Cuba and Miami Shores, Hiachijan, Internationalist Bastard, Las Palmeras, Luniten, Miekzhemy, New haven america, Novus America, Puertollano, Selissu, Shrillland, The Grand Empire of Kertha, Tinhampton, Trollzyn the Infinite, Trumptonium1, Uiiop, United Kingdom of Poland, Valrifell, Xmara, Yahoo [Bot]

Advertisement

Remove ads