NATION

PASSWORD

That new anti-privacy law they passed in Australia...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The National Salvation Front for Russia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The National Salvation Front for Russia » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:35 pm

Scomagia wrote:Yeah, just ignore that stable liberal democracies possess the potential for corruption and degradation into tyranny. "It can't happen here!" :roll:

They can, but usually during times of crisis. Assuming that remains the rule for Australia, I'll have bigger things to worry about.

And in addition, your generalisation is useless because it ignores the individual factors of each country. We don't have a large ultra-nationalist or communist movement, nor do we have intense polarisation. In fact, plenty of liberals are looking to be discount-Labor. Worrying about the rise of a dictatorship in Australia is like worrying about being hit by car in the middle of the desert. Sure, it could happen, but it's unlikely.
Russian Nationalist
Christian Democrat & Regionalist
Мы спасeм Россию!

Cлужить России - To Serve Russia
I support the Community for Democracy and Rights of Nations

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:17 pm

Scomagia wrote:
The National Salvation Front for Russia wrote:This isn't a big deal. I've got nothing to hide, and I'm not a paranoid nut who fears a 180-turn to dictatorship. This is Australia ffs, the PM-a-year country.

Yeah, just ignore that stable liberal democracies possess the potential for corruption and degradation into tyranny. "It can't happen here!" :roll:

Why do people think this is a good argument? Ignoring, as has been pointed out just above, that it's an irrational fear, it's not a reasonable thing to think that privacy is your leading concern if your country does become a corrupt tyranny. Your big problem in such a situation is that you live in a corrupt tyranny. In such a country, for instance, you don't need to worry about things you actually wrote being used to frame you... if they actually wanted to frame you, they'd just make up the evidence (if you even got a trial).
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Previous

Return to General