NATION

PASSWORD

ICE attempts to deport American born citizen

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Petrasylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrasylvania » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:25 am

Republic of the Northern Star wrote:
Arayas wrote:Imagine if the NPCs that say abolish ice treated invaders with the same level of collectivized guilt as they do ICE. But that would require a working brain.

Imagine if fascists treated their own race with the same level of collectivized discrimination they treat other races. Don't think I didn't see the fucking Mussolini-style fasces on your flag.

Imagine if people who consider roleplayers to be virgin losers stopped unironically appropriating roleplaying terms like "NPC".
Crimes committed by Muslims will be proof of a pan-Islamic plot and Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand, crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of mentally ill lone wolves who do not represent their professed belief system at all.
The probability of someone secretly participating in homosexual acts is directly proportional to the frequency and loudness of their publicly professed disapproval and/or disgust for homosexuality.
If Donald Trump accuses an individual of malfeasance without evidence, it is almost a certainty either he or someone associated with him has in fact committed that very same malfeasance to a greater degree.

New Flag Courtesy of The Realist Polities

His Excellence
Envoy

Founded: Sep 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby His Excellence » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:59 am

Keramos wrote:
The Grims wrote:So were the cops arrested for their racist behaviour ?

Is racism a crime?

Racism in itself isn't a crime, but the deplorable and blatantly racist actions of those officers would certainly be hate crimes.

Purgatio wrote:Smoking weed creates the demand for a product which contributes to deaths owing to traffic accidents and other injuries arising from the impaired judgment of getting high on weed. It's a social menace and governments have made a rational decision to criminalise it.

I read those articles expecting something at least slightly substantial, but frankly, "talk about overreacting, if not blatant misdirection" is about the only response they mustered out of me.

First problem: the article talking about marijuana use as if it was responsible for the users' depression. Anyone familiar with depression (or other subtler mental health issues) will know that such conditions aren't always obvious to the people around you. If someone's depressed, tries in vain to self medicate, and falls further down the depressive slope... that's not the drug's fault, that's depression's fault. Their depression just wasn't as obvious until they became desperate enough to turn to drug use as a solution, and taking such a backwards "cart before the horse" view of the situation is a tremendous disservice to people suffering from depression, especially ones who either can't afford professional help and pharmaceutical anti-depressants, or just don't want to use anti-depressants because they view them as the more zombifying option. Yeah, using pot to self medicate isn't a great decision (it doesn't cure the issue, it just distracts from it), but it would be a symptom of depression, not the cause.

Second: injury rates. Those owe more to personal misuse (which at least partly stems from how legalization has allowed stronger strains to become available that users haven't adjusted to, I will concede) than the drug itself; cell phone use while driving causes way more traffic accidents, should we ban those too? Not to mention how low those numbers even are. Marijuana clearly doesn't hold a candle to alcohol related deaths, or deaths caused by much more mundane objects/circumstances, but these articles try to blow up a few incidents as being some kind of epidemic. Exaggeration doesn't help anyone.

Third: overdoses, and pot as a gateway drug. The connection there is very 'Hitler ate sugar' ("he lit up a doobie in high school, then OD'd on smack some years later, SO IT WAS THE POT'S FAULT!"), and self-reinforced by how moral guardians try to claim that pot's as bad as other harder drugs. When someone grows up being told about how "drugs are bad m'kay, and pot is a debilitating addictive substance," means that if they try it and see it's not nearly as harmful as they'd been led to believe, they'll assume they were lied to about crack, meth, etc as well, and be more willing to try them on this basis. The kicker being that those harder drugs actually are debilitating and highly addictive. So good job anti-pot crusaders, you made the gateway with your false conflation.

In summation, the overall lesson to be taken here is that society's overreactions to marijuana are more harmful than the substance itself. When we've got people trying to rationalize how trying to deport someone from the country they were born in, alongside the incredibly appalling treatment that person received during detainment, as being okay because he broke parole by smoking the Devil's lettuce... this much speaks for itself.
Last edited by His Excellence on Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:00 am

Nation Tracker wrote:
Valrifell wrote:A government agency that relies on the cooperation of people that can't get people to cooperate with it is fucking abysmally pointless.

By that standard, we should also abolish the IRS.

Not seeing a problem :p
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:06 am

South Ccanda wrote:
Purgatio wrote:
Well, not under current law, no. I agree. Under current US law, the US isn't allowed to make its own citizens Stateless. But it should. If society is better off without a parasitic individual in its borders sucking up limited resources and contributing to public nuisances and menacing our communities, we should be able to eject him. We need to move away from this notion that citizenship within a community is a right, it's not. The community should be able to eject you when you're no longer being productive.

hell, why deport the pot smoker when we can just kill them? deportation costs hundreds of dollars, but a 9mm bullet is just 15 cents a round!

Why execute pot smokers when we can just legalize weed? It costs nothing and actually makes money
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

His Excellence
Envoy

Founded: Sep 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby His Excellence » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:27 am

Thermodolia wrote:
South Ccanda wrote:hell, why deport the pot smoker when we can just kill them? deportation costs hundreds of dollars, but a 9mm bullet is just 15 cents a round!

Why execute pot smokers when we can just legalize weed? It costs nothing and actually makes money

Didn't you read Purgatio's post? Anyone who's not a productive drone 24/7 is a drain on society and should be deported.

South Ccanda
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby South Ccanda » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:34 am

Thermodolia wrote:
South Ccanda wrote:hell, why deport the pot smoker when we can just kill them? deportation costs hundreds of dollars, but a 9mm bullet is just 15 cents a round!

I was making a strawman
I am Center-Left Libertarian. (-3,-3) on the Political Compass. My friends call me Whiskey cause I was named after a bottle of Jack Daniel's.

I've been drowning myself in work, I just started Culinary School, and I recently got called a Boot Licker for thanking a veteran for their service. I'm sad that I have to witness the part of history where supporting Cops and Troops is seen and a radical ideology.
Updated on August 25th, 2020

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:38 am

Arayas wrote:Imagine if the NPCs that say abolish ice treated invaders with the same level of collectivized guilt as they do ICE. But that would require a working brain.

It's a major leap to call some women and kids running across the border "invaders." They arent plundering cities, killing the men and taking the women and children as slaves. They arent exterminating the American population by the millions. They arent removing entire cities from the earth. They aren't going to overthrow the government and replace it with some bizarre anti white dictatorship that goes to your house and says "alright blue eyed diablo, la casa you own belong to DeQuan Jamal Harris now, so relinquish it a Dequan ahora," and when you dont comply they murder your entire family. The Alt Right (white supremacists) equate some desperate civilians from Honduras to like the Nazis marching on Paris, and this is the major problem with this country. Everything is so damn overblown. The fear mongering is real

what is it with this NPC crap anyhow? No snowflake, not everyone who disagrees with you is some kind of automated robot. We're also not Hillary supporters or communists or mostly muslim either. We're just descent human beings whose first reaction to a homeless Venezuelan woman and kids isn't to pull out a damn gun on them like some psychotic lunatic
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:45 am

Sounds like to me, they mistook him for someone, he said he had citizenship, and the ICE worker thought he was trying to divert his attention and ignored him. Talk about bad luck, and what a lousy worker. Bit of a overstatement to say his rights were violated so easily though.
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:46 am

Page wrote:A more accurate headline: American who didn't do anything wrong kidnapped by an armed gang. And unfortunately, many people are living in fear of this gang which gets to run wild in our communities.

I would laugh if I saw some ICE agents get run out of Los Angeles by an angry mob. I'd laugh harder if they weren't able to run fast enough. :rofl:
What a crooked circle of fiends they are. The sooner they're gone, the better
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:58 am

Purgatio wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Because there is a reason why we have prisons. To imprison citizens who broke the law. We have deporting people for people of citizens of other countries who broke the law.

The US can't make it's own citizens stateless.

Well, not under current law, no. I agree. Under current US law, the US isn't allowed to make its own citizens Stateless. But it should. If society is better off without a parasitic individual in its borders sucking up limited resources and contributing to public nuisances and menacing our communities, we should be able to eject him. We need to move away from this notion that citizenship within a community is a right, it's not. The community should be able to eject you when you're no longer being productive.

Citizenship is a right and we should not deport people beacuse "you are no longer being productive".

Because the ruling party gets to decide what is and isn't productive. This can turn into tyranny very fast.

I disagree with your idea very much.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:06 am

Purgatio wrote:

Citizenship is a right and we should not deport people beacuse "you are no longer being productive".

Because the ruling party gets to decide what is and isn't productive. This can turn into tyranny very fast.

If it was up to Trump, he would deport that 60% of Americans who disapprove of him and retain only his loyal fanbase and a few undecided people, turning America into the Beverely Hillbillies and making America a 5th world country

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:09 am

Rojava Free State wrote:

If it was up to Trump, he would deport that 60% of Americans who disapprove of him and retain only his loyal fanbase and a few undecided people, turning America into the Beverely Hillbillies and making America a 5th world country

Huh, didn’t think Trump had it in him. I don’t remember my grandparents being hill billies.
Last edited by Holy Tedalonia on Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

South Ccanda
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby South Ccanda » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:09 am

Rojava Free State wrote:

I would bet money against that, but I'll guess we will never know. simply put, President Donald Trump would see that 60% and more just try to profit off of them rather than deport them. He's a businessman, but not a bloody monster.
I am Center-Left Libertarian. (-3,-3) on the Political Compass. My friends call me Whiskey cause I was named after a bottle of Jack Daniel's.

I've been drowning myself in work, I just started Culinary School, and I recently got called a Boot Licker for thanking a veteran for their service. I'm sad that I have to witness the part of history where supporting Cops and Troops is seen and a radical ideology.
Updated on August 25th, 2020

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:15 am

Purgatio wrote:

By that logic we shouldn't have any punishments at all.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:17 am

Telconi wrote:

You underestimate how okay I am with this.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:19 am

Telconi wrote:

I am not following your logic here.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:19 am

Valrifell wrote:
Telconi wrote:

You underestimate how okay I am with this.

I don't recall having made such an estimation.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:23 am

Vassenor wrote:
Telconi wrote:

I don't doubt that.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:24 am

Telconi wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

I don't doubt that.

So why don't you explain how not being able to deport someone who's a citizen has a train of logic that leads to not being able to punish anyone for crimes committed.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Kollin
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Kollin » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:27 am

Why are people acting like this is a new thing. American citizens getting deported by our immigration system has been happening for almost 2 decades at least.

It's not a Trump thing, it's just an incompetent government thing. This is what happens when you have 57 immigration courts in a nation of 320 million with over 10 million illegal immigrants, a back log of 500,000 cases and judges who can get fired for not meeting quota.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:34 am

He's a businessman, but not a bloody monster.

This is the man who ordered that babies be taken from mothers and locked inside detention centers, suggested we kill ISIS family members and encouraged his supporters to violently assault protesters and reporters. He most certainly is "a bloody monster." This man would be the devil himself if he wasn't so unfortunately stupid
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:35 am

Vassenor wrote:
Telconi wrote:
I don't doubt that.

So why don't you explain how not being able to deport someone who's a citizen has a train of logic that leads to not being able to punish anyone for crimes committed.

Because trying to provoke understanding in a person hell bent on misunderstanding seems like. foolish waste of time.
Last edited by Telconi on Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:35 am

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Huh, didn’t think Trump had it in him. I don’t remember my grandparents being hill billies.

If they aren't, then they sure are on the side of those people. Two words. Space Force. Your grandparents voted for this ignorance and joke of a president, and I'm disappointed if they still haven't realized what a horrific mistake they made. America will never recover from the embarassment and hostility Trump has brought about

Borovan entered the region as he
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Borovan entered the region as he » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:36 am

Sad deporting a citizen

Serailia
Envoy

Founded: Oct 08, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Serailia » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:38 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:the sause

Peter Sean Brown, a U.S. citizen born in Philadelphia, was held by local police executing ICE orders when he was almost deported to Jamaica.
Peter Sean Brown was born in Philadelphia.

But when he showed up at a Florida sheriff’s office for violating probation after testing positive for marijuana, he was told he would be detained and flagged for deportation — to the island of Jamaica — based on a request from Immigration and Customs Enforcement, according to a federal lawsuit filed Monday.

Brown repeatedly told officers at the Monroe County Sheriff's Office in Florida that he was a U.S. citizen, and even offered to show his birth certificate, according to the lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union, the Southern Poverty Law Center, and Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP.

Brown, 50, had been living in Florida for the last decade, according to the suit.

"Despite his repeated protests to multiple jail officers, his offer to produce proof, and the jail’s own records, the sheriff’s office held Mr. Brown so that ICE could deport him to Jamaica — a country where he has never lived and knows no one," the complaint said.

The lawsuit also claims that Brown's inmate file at the sheriff's office indicated he was citizen in multiple places, including listing his place of birth as Philadelphia. That file also showed Brown had a valid Florida driver's license, according to the suit.

Brown's friend and manager of the restaurant where he worked, Brooke Lynch, checked Brown's name in an online inmate locater and discovered he had an ICE detainer request against him, according to the suit. But that detainer allegedly had some discrepancies, according to the suit, listing an incorrect birth date for Brown and indicating he was 7 feet tall when he is 5 foot 7 inches.

During his time in jail, the suit alleges the officers mocked him, one telling him "‘everything’s gonna be alright’ in a Jamaican accent."

When Brown tried to tell officers he was born in Philadelphia, one guard sang to him the theme of the 1990s sitcom "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air," where actor Will Smith raps about being "born and raised" in West Philadelphia.

Brown spent three weeks in jail in April before he was turned over to the Krome immigration detention center in Miami, according to the lawsuit.

"Mr. Brown was terrified that he could be put on a plane at any moment and deported to Jamaica," the suit said.

While he was jailed, Brown filed several formal complaints with Sheriff Rick Ramsay saying he was being falsely accused, according to the suit.

"I have been wrongly accused and threatened with deportation from ICE," he wrote in one, according to the lawsuit. "I am and have always been a citizen of the United States."

That complaint also stated that 20 years ago in New Jersey, the predecessor agency to ICE had mistakenly arrested and then released him after they learned he was a citizen, according to the lawsuit.

After Brown was turned over to ICE, agents agreed to look at Brown’s birth certificate as proof of his citizenship, which his roommate emailed over and ICE determined he was in fact a U.S. citizen, according to the suit.

"After confirming that Mr. Brown was a U.S. citizen, ICE hastily arranged for his release from Krome," the suit said. "Before he left, they confiscated all the documents they had given him regarding his impending deportation."

Ramsay said in a statement from the sheriff's office Tuesday afternoon that, "Local law enforcement throughout this country has been caught in the middle of a political argument regarding immigration."

"Although I can’t respond as much as I would like on this case given the pending litigation, I always strive for transparency with the public, which all of us here at the sheriff’s office serve," he said. "This was an unfortunate case of mistaken identity by ICE regarding a subject who was initially in state custody for violating probation for a felony crime of violence against a police officer."

Ramsay said his office was notified in writing by ICE that Brown had a final order of deportation and that his identity had been confirmed via "biometrics," such as fingerprints or other identifying data.

"It is important to also note that when an inmate is held under an ICE matter, I, as sheriff, do not have the legal authority to release that person," he said. "Though the sheriff’s office does not investigate immigration matters and while I cannot release detainees under ICE custody, I immediately took action when notified of this matter months ago."

Ramsay said he ordered the office's detention deputies to "immediately notify ICE of a detainee’s claims of citizenship and to follow up with those claims."

The sheriff's office said in a statement it told Brown about the ICE detainer "approximately three weeks prior to his transfer to a federal detention center in Miami in an effort to give Mr. Brown and his attorney time to resolve the matter."

"Mr. Brown was detained for about 12 hours total on the ICE matter in the Monroe County Detention Center on Stock Island, before he was picked up by ICE," the statement added.

Records provided by the sheriff's office showed Brown was said to have violated probation on a 2016 charge of resisting an officer with violence after testing positive for marijuana and failing to make court payments.

An immigration detainer provided by the sheriff's office indicated ICE checked boxes indicating there was a final order of removal against Brown and that they had "biometric confirmation" of his identity.

ICE did not immediately respond to request for comment.

While ICE is not named in the lawsuit, the case takes aim at the relationship some local law enforcement authorities have with the federal agency. In Monroe County, officials sent Brown's fingerprints to the FBI, which then forwarded those fingerprints to ICE, according to the lawsuit.

The following day, an ICE officer sent a detainer request for Brown, asking that the jail hold him for up to 48 hours beyond the time he would have been released, according to the lawsuit. The sheriff's office agreed to that request and rearrested Brown after he appeared in court on April 26 for his probation violation, despite a judge ordering his release, according to the suit.

The lawsuit accuses the sheriff's office of "carelessly and aggressively" arresting people for ICE under what's known as a Basic Ordering Agreement between the two, where the sheriff's office receives $50 for each individual it holds at ICE's request.

The sheriff's office said in its statement that under the agreement it can hold an ICE detainee for no longer than 48 hours and money from the detentions goes to the county and not the sheriff's office budget.

The suit, which was filed in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, claims Brown’s Fourth Amendment rights were violated. The Fourth Amendment protects people from unreasonable search and seizure by the government.

Brown's lawyers said his detention caused him to become "severely depressed" and lose his job. The suit asked for the court to award Brown appropriate monetary damages, attorney costs and any other relief the court finds just.

"It’s shocking and not right that somebody can lose their human rights and have all dignity stripped away simply because someone delivers a piece of paper or signs a form," Brown said in a statement released by the ACLU.

ICE did something stupid. The man was arrested for smoking weed while on probation, but despite every possible peace of evidence saying that he was US born, ICE still tried to deport him.

What's worse is that he got severely depressed in a time when the US is still lacking in mental healthcare and lost his job beacuse of the unjust ICE detention.

Yes, the man did do something wrong, but that is no reason to deport a citizen. Arrest yes, but deport to a country the man was never in no.

I think the Trump administration has made everyone too jumpy to just deport people.

But what say you NSG?

This just goes to show how racist and unprogressive the US can be. Weed shouldn't even be illegal.
Serailia - 塞拉利亚 - セライリア - Серайлия - सेलारिया - 세라일리아 - السرايليا

This nation reflects my real life political beliefs.

Scientific Socialist

-
18, Male, HS Senior

Model UN, History Club, Academic and Debate Teams

I like Anime - Evangelion, Chainsawman, Bocchi the Rock, Serial Experiments Lain, Bungo Stray Dogs, Steins;Gate, Omori

Currently Reading Just finished the Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General