NATION

PASSWORD

Remembering December 7th, 1941

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vespertania
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Vespertania » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:42 am

"Remember Pearl Harbor, Never Again."
Frisbeeteria wrote:
Deltanium wrote:how shitty is the AN?
Shitty enough to give you a Warning for trolling and lock this topic.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:34 am

Japanese gamble to try and scare America out of a possible confrontation by hitting their biggest naval assets in the pacific. Failed miserably and japan had half a year to go crazy before the allies turned the tide against them.

They were doomed from the start.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:08 am

It ultimately led to Germany declaring war on the USA, so it likely brought about defeat for the Axis a lot faster.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Nolo gap
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Nolo gap » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:12 am

i'm more interested in the cause of it, and it was far from being without justification.

granted it didn't turn out to be the best possible move, but its not like japan had a whole lot of other options.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:20 am

Nolo gap wrote:i'm more interested in the cause of it, and it was far from being without justification.

granted it didn't turn out to be the best possible move, but its not like japan had a whole lot of other options.

Continuing Japan’s genocide against the Chinese was the “justification”!
Japan could have:
A not been so damn genocidal in the first place
B stopped being so genocidal and negotiated a withdrawal from China

How was the Rape of Nanking justified?

It should be noted Japan deliberately attacked US ships in China, looted American property in China, and a Japanese soldier slapped a US consul in Naking.

That combined with brutal genocide against a government friendly to the US.

Japan was doing pretty much everything possible to provoke a US response. The US had more than justified cause to declare war on Japan, but only went with some limited sanctions.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:39 am

The Untied Federation of Russia wrote:
Teachian wrote:It was a pretty shocking and ballsy move. Though if I remember correctly, didn’t they fail to deal any real damage to the station’s infrastructure (at least when it came to fuel) and missed all the U.S. aircraft carriers (who were out on a training exercise)?

Not to say that it wasn’t a good move, or that we don’t have the benefit of hindsight, but the surprise attack mostly ended up angering America more than crippling it. Though, in all fairness, I highly doubt there was any scenario Japan wouldn’t have hard to wear the U.S. down before they gave up, which means it was a lost cause from the beginning.

From what I know Japan did fail to destroy any infrastructure at Pearl Harbor which is how the U.S. still had a strong Pacific Fleet.

Well it is unlikely Japan could have destroyed too much. Hitting the oil tanks would have done more perhaps, but their carrier planes did not have the payload to actually seriously damage the most infrastructure there.

And the more important infrastructure, the ship yards of the North East US, the steel mills, the oil wells of Texas, were all completely out of reach.

It would have only maybe kept Japan in the war a little longer.
By 1943 the US had an overwhelming adavantage in quantity and quality.
By 1945 70% of all military ships in the world were American. The US Navy was so absurdly huge by that point it could have destroyed every other navy in the world.

Japan simply did not have the resources for a protracted war, and no way to end the war quickly.
The Japanese strategy was entirely based on the premise that the US had no will to fight a protracted war. Which was of course completely wrong.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:20 am

I remember reading a World War 2 book about Pearl Harbor. According to the book the Soviet Union some how "knew" about the attack but, didn't try to warn the United States about it.

I'm not sure if it's 100% true but it makes me wonder if there were nations that knew about the Japanese attack before it happened.

But in my opinion Japan should've told the Axis they were going to do something crazy like bombing Pearl Harbor. If they did I'm sure Germany and Italy would suggest that Japan shouldn't attack America.
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:25 am

Aeritai wrote:I remember reading a World War 2 book about Pearl Harbor. According to the book the Soviet Union some how "knew" about the attack but, didn't try to warn the United States about it.

I'm not sure if it's 100% true but it makes me wonder if there were nations that knew about the Japanese attack before it happened.

But in my opinion Japan should've told the Axis they were going to do something crazy like bombing Pearl Harbor. If they did I'm sure Germany and Italy would suggest that Japan shouldn't attack America.

Well I don´t see how the Soviets would know about Pearl Habor but if you could give me that source I would be very interested in it.

Also apparently when Hitler learned about Pearl Habor he was happy saying:

¨We can’t lose the war at all. We now have an ally which has never been conquered in 3,000 years¨ I think this article is a pretty good explanation on why: https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2011/1207/Pearl-Harbor-Day-How-did-Adolf-Hitler-react-to-the-attack
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:30 am

They also failed to destroy strategic resource spots across Pearl Harbor,like the oil towers.
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:17 am

Washington Resistance Army wrote:FDR did Pearl Harbor

nonono

Pearl Harbor did FDR
All shall tremble before me

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:33 am

Hammer Britannia wrote:
Washington Resistance Army wrote:FDR did Pearl Harbor

nonono

Pearl Harbor did FDR

So a habor banged the wheelchair bound president.... Kinky.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:37 am

Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:They also failed to destroy strategic resource spots across Pearl Harbor,like the oil towers.

Um...they weren't even targeted in the first place, they weren't one of the objectives, so criticizing them for failing to destroy something that wasn't even an objective seems a bit weird:

Important base installations such as the power station, dry dock, shipyard, maintenance, and fuel and torpedo storage facilities, as well as the submarine piers and headquarters building (also home of the intelligence section), were not attacked.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Pearl_Harbor
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:40 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:They also failed to destroy strategic resource spots across Pearl Harbor,like the oil towers.

Um...they weren't even targeted in the first place, they weren't one of the objectives, so criticizing them for failing to destroy something that wasn't even an objective seems a bit weird:

Important base installations such as the power station, dry dock, shipyard, maintenance, and fuel and torpedo storage facilities, as well as the submarine piers and headquarters building (also home of the intelligence section), were not attacked.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Pearl_Harbor

I mean you can criticize the Japaneses commanders for not targeting such important objectives like the oil towers.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:26 am

Andsed wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Um...they weren't even targeted in the first place, they weren't one of the objectives, so criticizing them for failing to destroy something that wasn't even an objective seems a bit weird:

I mean you can criticize the Japaneses commanders for not targeting such important objectives like the oil towers.

Targeting the fuel would only have given short term gains, as it can be replaced within relatively short order, hence the focus on the ships themselves. It is debatable whether Japan would have been able to muster enough air power to take out every potential target at Pearl Harbor anyway, hence why they had to focus what they had against what was strategically important.

Wave on, wave on

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:36 am

Horrible unwarranted attack.

Vespertania wrote:"Remember Pearl Harbor, Never Again."

...someone should have told that to the CIA before they supported the Mujahideen.
Last edited by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp on Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:51 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Horrible unwarranted attack.

...someone should have told that to the CIA before they supported the Mujahideen.

That is a completely different issue and the contention Mujahideen = Al Qaeda just because a few who fought against the Soviets in Afghanistan later joined Al Queda or the Taliban is false. Many Mujahideen also fought AGAINST Al Queda.

A broad decentralized movement having a variety of factions gets rather complicated, especially when said factions are fighting amongst themselves.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Taliostia
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Taliostia » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:53 pm

Perl Harbor forced America into World War 2.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:56 pm

Yes, we must remember our fallen soldiers who gave their lives so we could be free.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Teachian
Envoy

Founded: Sep 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Teachian » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:04 pm

The New California Republic wrote:Targeting the fuel would only have given short term gains, as it can be replaced within relatively short order, hence the focus on the ships themselves. It is debatable whether Japan would have been able to muster enough air power to take out every potential target at Pearl Harbor anyway, hence why they had to focus what they had against what was strategically important.

I can agree that the alternative option wouldn’t have crippled the U.S. much, but I’d argue that just means neither were a viable strategy.

Maybe part of it was pragmatics (in that sense that ships are harder to replace than fuel), but I also think it was their priority of targets (“knocking out conventional naval ships=victory” in their mind). But Pearl Harbor ended up being more of an attack on the fleet than an attack on the port, and America showed they could repair/replace the fleet far quicker than Japan would have liked. I don’t have the hard numbers on me, but it’s interesting to wonder if damaging America’s ability to maintain a fleet in the Pacific would have been any different than damaging the fleet.

(And, I mean, I get that Japan was limited in what they could do, and that we have hindsight. But I think their leaders deserve a little flak for initiating an operation that couldn’t achieve a crippling blow against a nation they weren’t at war with with. On some level, I think either overconfidence played it, or an underestimation of their enemies.)
Was looking for the washroom, somehow became president

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:51 pm

Teachian wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Targeting the fuel would only have given short term gains, as it can be replaced within relatively short order, hence the focus on the ships themselves. It is debatable whether Japan would have been able to muster enough air power to take out every potential target at Pearl Harbor anyway, hence why they had to focus what they had against what was strategically important.

I can agree that the alternative option wouldn’t have crippled the U.S. much, but I’d argue that just means neither were a viable strategy.

Maybe part of it was pragmatics (in that sense that ships are harder to replace than fuel), but I also think it was their priority of targets (“knocking out conventional naval ships=victory” in their mind). But Pearl Harbor ended up being more of an attack on the fleet than an attack on the port, and America showed they could repair/replace the fleet far quicker than Japan would have liked. I don’t have the hard numbers on me, but it’s interesting to wonder if damaging America’s ability to maintain a fleet in the Pacific would have been any different than damaging the fleet.

(And, I mean, I get that Japan was limited in what they could do, and that we have hindsight. But I think their leaders deserve a little flak for initiating an operation that couldn’t achieve a crippling blow against a nation they weren’t at war with with. On some level, I think either overconfidence played it, or an underestimation of their enemies.)

Japans focus was south, they wanted control of Asia and the Pacific which meant getting the British, French and Dutch colonies out. The war in Europe made that bit easy the only other threat was the US Pacific Fleet.
We now know they under estimated on how quickly the Americans would recover after Pearl Hatbour and also miscalculated the US strategy - ie a long trip to the Phillipines. Also no one had planned for the atrocities of Hiroshima

Monsa
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Monsa » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:54 pm

Just like the Germans in Barbrossa. Operation AI was not the greatest move looking back.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:01 pm

Cetacea wrote:
Teachian wrote:

Japans focus was south, they wanted control of Asia and the Pacific which meant getting the British, French and Dutch colonies out. The war in Europe made that bit easy the only other threat was the US Pacific Fleet.
We now know they under estimated on how quickly the Americans would recover after Pearl Hatbour and also miscalculated the US strategy - ie a long trip to the Phillipines. Also no one had planned for the atrocities of Hiroshima

Hiroshima and Nagasaki actually saved lives. Japan has already long lost the war at that point.
After the Marianas it completely lost, but the Japanese despite knowing the lost would not give up.

The only alternatives was a ground invasion or waiting for the Japtto starve to death, neither of which was preferable.

Japan did not underestimate the US ability to recover that badly. They were fully aware a they would lose a protracted war.
Their big mistake was assuming that the US had no will to fight, despite having the ability to win.

It was a bizzare decision for Japan to make an all or nothing gamble on such a dubious (and in retrospect completely incorrect notion) instead of ending its stupid and genocidal war in China.

It was really all that Japan was to proud to admit they screwed up in inavading China.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Monsa
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Monsa » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:09 pm

Novus America wrote:
Cetacea wrote:

Hiroshima and Nagasaki actually saved lives. Japan has already long lost the war at that point.
After the Marianas it completely lost, but the Japanese despite knowing the lost would not give up.

The only alternatives was a ground invasion or waiting for the Japtto starve to death, neither of which was preferable.

Japan did not underestimate the US ability to recover that badly. They were fully aware a they would lose a protracted war.
Their big mistake was assuming that the US had no will to fight, despite having the ability to win.

It was a bizzare decision for Japan to make an all or nothing gamble on such a dubious (and in retrospect completely incorrect notion) instead of ending its stupid and genocidal war in China.

It was really all that Japan was to proud to admit they screwed up in inavading China.

Depends on whoose lives. It saved the lives of *Some* would-be sudical bombers and american soldiers. However it also cost the lives of Japanese Civs would might of survived the war.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:44 pm

Monsa wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Depends on whoose lives. It saved the lives of *Some* would-be sudical bombers and american soldiers. However it also cost the lives of Japanese Civs would might of survived the war.

Mass starvation from the war continuing would have killed millions of Japanese civilians.
So would a land invasion.

Japan planned on giving pretty much everyone bamboo spears and sending them charging into battle. There would be few true civilians left as nearly everyone was to fight. Plus the starvation thing would still happen.

Mass civilian deaths was a given. Regardless of the option.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Steampunk World War 1
Secretary

Founded: Feb 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Steampunk World War 1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:48 pm

What's interesting about this entire event is that I believe Japan sent ambassadors to the United States to get their oil supply back. And I do believe Pearl Harbor was under attack at the time when the ambassadors visited.
Last edited by Steampunk World War 1 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General