NATION

PASSWORD

Remembering December 7th, 1941

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Monsa
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Monsa » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:51 am

Page wrote:
Earth Luna and Mars wrote:Welp the Day Of Infamy is here! May we never forget the events that took place at Pearl Harbor.

((Which is ironic to say since every American citizen forgets Pearl Harbor))

Time is a powerful force. If I were to do a comedy bit about 9/11, a lot of people would be offended, but if I were to joke about the Black Plague in Medieval Europe, no one is crying out "Millions of people died, you can't joke about that!" because it's been hundreds of years. Centuries later, events like 9/11 and the Holocaust will still be a part of history, but with no emotions attached, just like now there are no emotions attached to the Black Plague or the Mongols' burning and raping cities or Caesar's murder and enslavement of millions of Gauls.

We're soon approaching a time in which no living person remembers Pearl Harbor, it will be even more forgotten then than it is now. I don't see this as a bad thing or a good thing, that's just the way it is.

It might have some emotion for 1-2 gentrations a.k.a. people who knew someone who lived through it but beyond that I agree

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:43 am

An attack like this not followed by infantry landings will achieve nothing in the long run. Now if the Japanese had landed 50.000 troops then who knows what might have happened.
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Mohacian
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 09, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mohacian » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:29 am

After they bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the japanese claimed that the U.S had won.

U.S: OK IM TIRED OF JAPAN ATTACKING PEARL HARBOR THATS IT IM ATTACKING BACK! >:( :twisted:

Japan: NO 20x

U.S: TOO BAD SO SAD!

After they bombed 2 cities

Japan: OK You got me you won the war.

U.S: AND THATS WHAT YOU GET BY ATTACKING PEARL HARBOR! >:(

Japan: Ive learned my lesson. I promise i will never ever attcack you again.

U.S: OK thats im wating for.

US-SSR
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby US-SSR » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:06 pm

Solorni wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Japan was only in theory willing to surrender, because Japan did not have single individual powerful enough to make a decision and was too divided on what terms, if any they would find acceptable. Parts of the Army still tried to launch a coup even after the nukes.

So the Japanese government would still have sat around dithering and arguing while the country starved to death. Still millions die.

Certainly we did wish to preserve Japan as a functioning entity for strategic purposes.
We had the ability to utterly destroy it forever but that would have benefited no one.

I'm pretty certain that they were going to surrender, simply not unconditionally. But the Americans wanted it to be unconditionally.
The Huskar Social Union wrote:They wanted to try and use the USSR as a mediator but then the Soviets invaded Manchuria and that plan went out the window.
To be fair, the Soviets entering the war was based on an agreement with Roosevelt. This led to a lot of problems later on because Truman and other American Presidents were far less friendly to the Soviets and resented their influence, particularly in Korea.

The Soviet entry into the Pacific theater was an agreement with the Allies, Churchill included, not just FDR. The reason it was problematic was that the US might not get a chance to use the A-bomb on Japan, demonstrating its military supremacy, before the Russian invasion -- which occurred exactly on schedule -- ended the war. Truman, contemplating the invasion, wrote in his journal that it would mean "bye-bye Japs." Though he did not himself order the A-bombings -- he simply allowed the military's plans for them to proceed -- he certainly did nothing to stop them until after Nagasaki.
8:46

We're not going to control the pandemic!

It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute.

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

Mohacian
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 09, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mohacian » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:23 pm

I feel bad for Pearl Habor's army i hope there ok in heaven.

Previous

Return to General