NATION

PASSWORD

Must Santa always be an fat old white guy?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:12 pm

Skarten wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Where is the war here?

I didn't mean an actual war you imbecile

So why use casus belli then?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:12 pm

Skarten wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Where is the war here?

I love how you assume she wasn't extending the metaphor.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 21, 2018
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:13 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba wrote:Dude it is called multiculturalism political correctness.

Not really?

Just shoving a bunch of buzzwords into your post doesn't magically make it true.

lol, as I said legally anyone can do whatever they want to do, but it should not be changed based on the tradition and culture it was based on, I rest my case. No more back and forth on this one from me.
Last edited by Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba on Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miami Shores is a Province of Greater La Habana Cuba, and La Habana Cuba is a regional Province of Greater Miami Shores, democratic capitalist Republic.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:13 pm

Skarten wrote:
The South Falls wrote:He still doesn't have to be white. Does anyone care that much?

Because it's a tradition that's been happening for centuries, but forgert that because now we must change it for the sake of Inclusion™ And Historical Revisionism®

You must be able to differentiate "I don't care" with "saints were not white".
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:14 pm

Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Not really?

Just shoving a bunch of buzzwords into your post doesn't magically make it true.

lol, as I said legally anyone can do whatever they want to do, but it should be changed based on the tradition and culture it was based on, I rest my case. No more back and forth on this one from me.

So basically you don't have an argument besides "because tradition".
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:16 pm

Earth Luna and Mars wrote:Must SJWs always use the "Race card" to whine about something?

It was actually racists who were whining about it this time. Of course, it's not surprising given where I live (one of the places in the OP) is 90.6% white.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Skarten
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:16 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Skarten wrote:
Why are you even disussing this then? You people asked Why must santa be a "fat old white guy", i gave my reasons. I'm not saying people are trying to change it, i'm saying trying to do so would be bad.
Also, it's not a "bizarre attachment to fictional characters", it's a thing called culture, something which you don't seem to have.

Tradition isn't exactly a compelling reason on it's own, and you seem to be stuck in this circular reason where something is good because it's traditional, and being traditional is good because that's how we've always done it.

This, to say the least, is a flawed lens to view the world through.

What?

The thing about is that it's culture. Depending on your situation, your parents did it, your grandparents did it, your grand-grandparents did it, and so on. Unless it's a bad tradition, then there is no reason to not continue doing it. And no, Santa being a "fat old white guy" is not an bad tradition.

Skarten
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:17 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Skarten wrote:

I love how you assume she wasn't extending the metaphor.

wdym by she

Skarten
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:18 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba wrote:lol, as I said legally anyone can do whatever they want to do, but it should be changed based on the tradition and culture it was based on, I rest my case. No more back and forth on this one from me.

And you don't have an argument besides "why not"

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:18 pm

Skarten wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

And you don't have an argument besides "why not"

So do I need to have a massive treatise on how it's OK to depict Santa however you want?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Skarten
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:18 pm

The South Falls wrote:
Skarten wrote:
Because it's a tradition that's been happening for centuries, but forgert that because now we must change it for the sake of Inclusion™ And Historical Revisionism®

You must be able to differentiate "I don't care" with "saints were not white".

He said "he still doesn't have to be white".

But he was. Saying that there's no reason for him not to be non-white is historical revisionism.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:19 pm

Skarten wrote:
The South Falls wrote:You must be able to differentiate "I don't care" with "saints were not white".

He said "he still doesn't have to be white".

But he was. Saying that there's no reason for him not to be non-white is historical revisionism.

How do you know he was white? What primary sources do you have for his ethnicity?

Then again society retconned Jesus to be white so I shouldn't be surprised.
Last edited by Vassenor on Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 21, 2018
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:20 pm

Skarten wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
Tradition isn't exactly a compelling reason on it's own, and you seem to be stuck in this circular reason where something is good because it's traditional, and being traditional is good because that's how we've always done it.

What?

The thing about is that it's culture. Depending on your situation, your parents did it, your grandparents did it, your grand-grandparents did it, and so on. Unless it's a bad tradition, then there is no reason to not continue doing it. And no, Santa being a "fat old white guy" is not an bad tradition.

lol, we agree, this back and forth all of us are having is about multiculturalism or tradition and culture. My last post on this thread for at least today, I am going back to the RP forums and other general forum topics for awhile.
Miami Shores is a Province of Greater La Habana Cuba, and La Habana Cuba is a regional Province of Greater Miami Shores, democratic capitalist Republic.

Skarten
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:20 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Skarten wrote:And you don't have an argument besides "why not"

So do I need to have a massive treatise on how it's OK to depict Santa however you want?

What do you even goddamn mean by that?

This is a thread questioning if santa must be portrayed as a "fat old white guy". If you don't actually care, then why are you even commenting here?

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:21 pm

Skarten wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

What do you even goddamn mean by that?

This is a thread questioning if santa must be portrayed as a "fat old white guy". If you don't actually care, then why are you even commenting here?

Oh, does the thread not being an echo chamber annoy you something? :eyebrow:
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Skarten
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:22 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Skarten wrote:He said "he still doesn't have to be white".

How do you know he was white? What primary sources do you have for his ethnicity?

hahahahahhahahahah

wait, are you seriously using the "JESUS WASN'T WHITE" Argument?

Dear God, The more you post, the more ridiculous your posts get

Skarten
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:23 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Skarten wrote:What do you even goddamn mean by that?

Oh, does the thread not being an echo chamber annoy you something? :eyebrow:

...What?

Did you even read what i commented?

Or The Title of this tread?

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU ON ABOUT
Last edited by Skarten on Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:23 pm

Skarten wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

hahahahahhahahahah

So what evidence do you have that Jesus was white rather than a Middle Eastern Jew?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:24 pm

Skarten wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

What?

It's not just "not a bad tradition" it's a purely aesthetic tradition. As in, it completely doesn't matter and I don't understand anyone who gets hung up on this point.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Skarten
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:26 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Skarten wrote:hahahahahhahahahah

So what evidence do you have that Jesus was white rather than a Middle Eastern Jew?

What evidence do you have that he wasn't white, other than "He was in the middle east, thus he can't be white."

You're the one who has to provide proof, you're the accuser.
Last edited by Skarten on Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skarten
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:27 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Skarten wrote:
What?

It's not just "not a bad tradition" it's a purely aesthetic tradition. As in, it completely doesn't matter and I don't understand anyone who gets hung up on this point.

"Just Aesthetic"

B O I

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:28 pm

Skarten wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

What evidence do you have that he wasn't white, other than "He was in the middle east, thus he can't be white."

Way to try to shift the burden of proof.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Skarten
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:29 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Skarten wrote:

How though? You're the accuser here saying that jesus wasn't white. "The necessity of proof always lies with the person who lays charges."
Last edited by Skarten on Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:35 pm

Skarten wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

How though? You're the accuser here saying that jesus wasn't white.

What is the logic for him being white anyway, especially when a good chunk of the scholarly texts refer to him as a Galilean Israelite? And yes, there weren't a whole lot of Northern Europeans in the Levant in the first century CE.

As a Jew in 1st century Judea, Jesus probably looked like a typical Judean man of his time. Research on ancient skeletons in Israel suggests that Judeans of the time were biologically closer to Iraqi Jews than any other contemporary population, and thus in terms of physical appearance the average Judean of the time would have likely had dark brown to black hair, olive skin, and brown eyes. Judean men of the time period were on average about 5.5 feet, or 166 centimeters tall. Scholars have also suggested that it is likely Jesus had short hair and a small beard, in accordance with Jewish practices of the time.
Last edited by Vassenor on Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Skarten
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:37 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Skarten wrote:How though? You're the accuser here saying that jesus wasn't white.

What is the logic for him being white anyway, especially when a good chunk of the scholarly texts refer to him as a Galilean Israelite? And yes, there weren't a whole lot of Northern Europeans in the Levant in the first century CE.

As a Jew in 1st century Judea, Jesus probably looked like a typical Judean man of his time. Research on ancient skeletons in Israel suggests that Judeans of the time were biologically closer to Iraqi Jews than any other contemporary population, and thus in terms of physical appearance the average Judean of the time would have likely had dark brown to black hair, olive skin, and brown eyes. Judean men of the time period were on average about 5.5 feet, or 166 centimeters tall. Scholars have also suggested that it is likely Jesus had short hair and a small beard, in accordance with Jewish practices of the time.

Where is the source though. Just saying "Probably" Doesn't count. Plus ,the Israelites were from many different tribes, you can't simply lump every single judean as one

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General