NATION

PASSWORD

Public Areas Smoking Ban

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
I detest smoking
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

Public Areas Smoking Ban

Postby I detest smoking » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:37 am

So this has been something that has increasingly annoying as of late, given my recent move to a large city (UK for context). Sure, smoking is banned in all enclosed spaces - which is undeniably a great thing. But this is not the heart of my problem. Why is it still allowed in public areas and specifically, on the streets?

This clearly violates health principles. When you are walking on the street with people smoking, you are going to be inhaling smoke passively, and this has been considered to be a huge health hazard as shown by numerous medical studies. So why is it still tolerated? I don't get it. I couldn't care less what the price of cigarettes are or where you get them from. Just don't do it in public. I'm not saying don't smoke. I'm saying don't smoke in public. If you feel it is that necessary to willingly shorten your lifespan, feel free to do so - in private. A clear violation of the harm principle. I couldn't care what you do in private as long as it doesn't harm others. In a perfect world, smokers would have the decency or self-awareness to avoid doing so.
Last edited by I detest smoking on Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:44 am

People get to drive cars and spit out all the noxious fumes that come with that. As long as it's outside, how is cigarette smoking particularly worse? Indoor smoking is not a good idea, though it should still be decided by the business in question whether or not they allow it rather than the state.
Insert trite farewell here

Hrythingia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hrythingia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:50 am

It is a great shame. There are no longer any real pubs left in Britain since you cannot smoke inside them -nothing better than the smoky interior of a thatched pub to go with your real ale and humongous roast lunch over a few smokes or maybe on a special occasion some cigars.
The Wielderdom of Hrythingia
Þæs Ƿealdaríċe Hrýðinglondes

State type: Semi-Elective Monarchy
Leader: Earl Wynmar II of The Ashwold, Hrythwealda
Capital: Ernburh
Language: Hrystic (Old English)
Religion: Catholicism
Characteristics: Isolationist, mercantile, conservative, rural, deeply religious
Industries: sheep/beef agriculture, fishing, offshore oil, financial services
Britonnis nati, Anglis Dei Gratia! A Catholic Conservative Briton, Late Antiquities Student and Reservist Officer in training. Interests: hunting, rugby, choral music, history, literature, linguistics and alcohol.

Ar i Dduw, er mwyn fy Ngheidwad, Roddi i mi galon lân.

Se Þræd Eald Englisċes

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:51 am

Hrythingia wrote:It is a great shame. There are no longer any real pubs left in Britain since you cannot smoke inside them -nothing better than the smoky interior of a thatched pub to go with your real ale and humongous roast lunch over a few smokes or maybe on a special occasion some cigars.

Wanna trade? Berlin has waay too many pubs where people smoke :(

It makes my wool stink >:(
The Blaatschapen should resign

Hrythingia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hrythingia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:53 am

The blAAtschApen wrote:
Hrythingia wrote:It is a great shame. There are no longer any real pubs left in Britain since you cannot smoke inside them -nothing better than the smoky interior of a thatched pub to go with your real ale and humongous roast lunch over a few smokes or maybe on a special occasion some cigars.

As in me move to Berlin...? No thank you ho ho, I'm not desperate enough to live in the Merkelreich of Krautland.

Characteristics: Isolationist, mercantile, conservative, rural, deeply religious
Britonnis nati, Anglis Dei Gratia! A Catholic Conservative Briton, Late Antiquities Student and Reservist Officer in training. Interests: hunting, rugby, choral music, history, literature, linguistics and alcohol.

Se Þræd Eald Englisċes

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:54 am

Hrythingia wrote:
The blAAtschApen wrote:

As in me move to Berlin...? No thank you ho ho, I'm not desperate enough to live in the Merkelreich of Krautland.

No no no, we already have plenty immigrants here from impoverished european countries.

Just trading the pubs.

Hrythingia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hrythingia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:56 am

The blAAtschApen wrote:
Hrythingia wrote:As in me move to Berlin...? No thank you ho ho, I'm not desperate enough to live in the Merkelreich of Krautland.

No no no, we already have plenty immigrants here from impoverished european countries.

Just trading the pubs.

'Impoverished' oi, you cheeky perisher.
Nah, Teutonic pubs are worth a visit when on holiday but they aren't the same as a good british pub. Different drinks, different grub et cetera.

Se Þræd Eald Englisċes

Lillorainen
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Lillorainen » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:57 am

Ahh, sitting in a nicely warm and cozy pub and chilling with mates with a beer and a cigarette ... damn, I miss these times. :(

The blAAtschApen wrote:

Guy from NRW here. Open for trade.
Since Lillorainen's geography is currently being overhauled a 'tiny' bit, most information on it posted before December 12, 2018, is not entirely reliable anymore. Until there's a new, proper factfile, everything you might need to know can be found here. Thank you. #RetconOfDoom (Very late update, 2020/08/30 - it's still going on ...)

South Ccanda
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby South Ccanda » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:57 am

I detest smoking wrote:So this has been something that has increasingly annoying as of late, given my recent move to a large city (UK for context). Sure, smoking is banned in all enclosed spaces - which is undeniably a great thing. But this is not the heart of my problem. Why is it still allowed in public areas and specifically, on the streets?

This clearly violates health principles. When you are walking on the street with people smoking, you are going to be inhaling smoke passively, and this has been considered to be a huge health hazard as shown by numerous medical studies. So why is it still tolerated? I don't get it. I couldn't care less what the price of cigarettes are or where you get them from. Just don't do it in public. I'm not saying don't smoke. I'm saying don't smoke in public. If you feel it is that necessary to willingly shorten your lifespan, feel free to do so - in private. A clear violation of the harm principle. I couldn't care what you do in private as long as it doesn't harm others. In a perfect world, smokers would have the decency or self-awareness to avoid doing so.

1. Its tolerated because cigarette smoke dissipates much quicker in open air rather than an enclosed room.
2. its already been a cut on a persons civil rights to smoke indoors, yet everyone agrees, even smokers. but when you say you can't smoke in public at all is a huge step over the line. smoking is an addiction that they can't really help, especially in america where smoking alternatives either don't work or aren't worth the money. so saying you can't smoke in public would mean that people would have to go after these alternatives.
3. that "perfect world" argument is just your opinion. the perfect world to a smoker would be that they can smoke where ever the want.
Last edited by South Ccanda on Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am Center-Left Libertarian. (-3,-3) on the Political Compass. My friends call me Whiskey cause I was named after a bottle of Jack Daniel's.

I've been drowning myself in work, I just started Culinary School, and I recently got called a Boot Licker for thanking a veteran for their service. I'm sad that I have to witness the part of history where supporting Cops and Troops is seen and a radical ideology.
Updated on August 25th, 2020

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:57 am

OP's name checks out
All shall tremble before me

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:57 am

Society is not going to collapse just because your rose-tinted stereotypes have vanished into the past.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:58 am

Lillorainen wrote:

Ahh, sitting in a nicely warm and cozy pub and chilling with mates with a beer and a cigarette ... damn, I miss these times. :(

The blAAtschApen wrote:

Alright, bring you pubs here.

South Ccanda
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby South Ccanda » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:00 pm

Hammer Britannia wrote:OP's name checks out

i just realised the name lol
I am Center-Left Libertarian. (-3,-3) on the Political Compass. My friends call me Whiskey cause I was named after a bottle of Jack Daniel's.

I've been drowning myself in work, I just started Culinary School, and I recently got called a Boot Licker for thanking a veteran for their service. I'm sad that I have to witness the part of history where supporting Cops and Troops is seen and a radical ideology.

Former Citizens of the Nimbus System
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 21, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Former Citizens of the Nimbus System » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:03 pm

Scomagia wrote:People get to drive cars and spit out all the noxious fumes that come with that. As long as it's outside, how is cigarette smoking particularly worse?

An excellent point; we should indeed also be legislating against combustion-driven cars!

In all seriousness, I agree entirely with the OP. Not only would this eliminate the effects of passive smoking in public places (especially immediately outside public buildings, where the problem is particularly severe), I would imagine that it would also significantly de-normalise smoking which would hopefully reduce the rate of people taking it up.

(And yes, I do think that we should be moving towards bans on the manufacture of new petrol and diesel cars too.)
Last edited by Former Citizens of the Nimbus System on Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are the Nexus Wardship of Former Citizens of the Nimbus System, not just a collection of people; please shorten to the pre-title or use the full name!

Emmet: You might see a mess -
Lord Business: Exactly: a bunch of weird, dorky stuff that ruined my perfectly good stuff!
Emmet: Okay. What I see are people, inspired by each other and by you - people taking what you made and making something new out of it.

The central Nimban cultural ideal summed up in an exchange from The Lego Movie.

Supporter of the campaign to add Economic Freedom to the home page!

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:04 pm

Vassenor wrote:

Society is not going to collapse just because your rose-tinted stereotypes have vanished into the past.

I don't believe they said it would. Your aimless hostility is getting pretty dull. Maybe it's time for a new schtick?

Pachenstein
Attaché

Founded: Jun 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Pachenstein » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:06 pm

Here here! I love that smoking is allowed in pubs in Austria.
Hochstift Pachenstein - Prince-Bishopric of Pachenstein

About me: M/21/British (currently resident in Austria). My interests include the German language, history, philosophy, classical music, ice hockey and rugby.

Northern Syria
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Syria » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:06 pm

I detest smoking wrote:When you are walking on the street with people smoking, you are going to be inhaling smoke passively, and this has been considered to be a huge health hazard as shown by numerous medical studies.

The health risk of inhaling secondhand smoke in an outdoors public place is pretty negligible. They're open places, so not much smoke from a passing by smoker would enter your lungs.

I found a PBS article where an interviewed health professor makes the case that the rationale for banning smoking in public places is to protect the smoker. The motivation is to make it more difficult for smokers to smoke. So I guess the question really comes down to should the government regulate people's smoking habits?
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/the ... oking-bans
Last edited by Northern Syria on Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I searched myself." ~Heraclitus

Hrythingia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hrythingia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:09 pm

Vassenor wrote:

At what point did I say it was going to collapse? :eyebrow:

Se Þræd Eald Englisċes

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:11 pm

Hrythingia wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

You miss "The good old days" when you could smoke in pubs, Ergo, you're Alex Jones
All shall tremble before me

Hrythingia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hrythingia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:12 pm

Lillorainen wrote:

The blAAtschApen wrote:

Its those sundays after mass as you shamble home, full to the belly with a huge roast lunch, multiple pints of thick ale and a good few cigars, simply glorious. You are left completely immobilised but excellent stuff. Always a good roar with the lads too, maybe even the lasses too if we let them come along.

Se Þræd Eald Englisċes

South Ccanda
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby South Ccanda » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:12 pm

Hammer Britannia wrote:
Hrythingia wrote:At what point did I say it was going to collapse? :eyebrow:

You miss "The good old days" when you could smoke in pubs, Ergo, you're Alex Jones

"I just wanna smoke in bars! it must be, it must...the frogs....."
Last edited by South Ccanda on Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hrythingia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hrythingia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:13 pm

Hammer Britannia wrote:
Hrythingia wrote:At what point did I say it was going to collapse? :eyebrow:

Ah yes, I'm a tin foil hat wearing fat semi deranged Texan bedroom ogre. Cracking stuff.

Se Þræd Eald Englisċes

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:14 pm

Hrythingia wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

You didn't. This is what Vassenor does. They come into a thread and sling shit, hostility, and strawmen.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:17 pm

I detest smoking wrote:So this has been something that has increasingly annoying as of late, given my recent move to a large city (UK for context). Sure, smoking is banned in all enclosed spaces - which is undeniably a great thing. But this is not the heart of my problem. Why is it still allowed in public areas and specifically, on the streets?

Open areas tend to have more space for the smoke to dissipate. It doesn't tend to be a problem unless people are cheek by jowl.

I detest smoking wrote:This clearly violates health principles. When you are walking on the street with people smoking, you are going to be inhaling smoke passively.

See my statement above.

I detest smoking wrote:So why is it still tolerated? I don't get it. I couldn't care less what the price of cigarettes are or where you get them from. Just don't do it in public. I'm not saying don't smoke. I'm saying don't smoke in public. If you feel it is that necessary to willingly shorten your lifespan, feel free to do so - in private. A clear violation of the harm principle. I couldn't care what you do in private as long as it doesn't harm others. In a perfect world, smokers would have the decency or self-awareness to avoid doing so.

Again, the harm caused by passive smoking in areas that are not substantially enclosed is negligible.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:17 pm

Vassenor wrote:

Where did he stay that? He just said he misses when he could smoke with some pals in a bar. He never said anything about society collapsing.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General