NATION

PASSWORD

Hungary’s “Slave Law”

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Novus Wrepland
Attaché

Founded: Nov 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus Wrepland » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:28 pm

Kaggeceria wrote:
Othelos wrote:The OP phrased it as "extra hours employers can demand", implying compulsion.

OP is misleading. Read the article.

The extra hours are not compulsory.

If you were mislead it was due to your own inability. The relevant section was quoted for you to learn that the law has gone through changes. Furthermore, in my own writing this is what you will find: “Why did Fidesz feel the need to squeeze Hungarian labor.” I am very particular with my words. The most important part of the op (the question posed, as per NSG’s guidelines) , being the thing which should receive the most attention, referred to the past-tense motivation of the prime mover behind the legislation. If I were misleading I would have said something on the lines of “why does Fidesz do this?” but that is unfortunately not the case.
Last edited by Novus Wrepland on Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:37 pm

Kaggeceria wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
Did you miss the part about said workers being qualified? Something tells me that economic immigrants from a random, constantly bombed country in the Middle East, aren't going to, at least not usually, be qualified. One of the best ways to prevent immigration, is to stop bombing random countries in the name of "Liberation" as said stoppage in bombing would decrease the flow of economic immigrants.

A smarter approach for Hungary would be to train its own citizens, into becoming qualified workers, since there is unemployment among unqualified Hungarians. Also, forcing an employee to work three additional hours a week isn't slavery. It's not even remotely equivalent to slavery. You shorten your lunch by 6 minutes per day, and you stay 30 minutes later. In what World is that equivalent to slavery?

But hey, let's talk about this "Culture of Slavery" in Hungary. I looked it up. It's dire. Absolutely dire: https://businessculture.org/eastern-eur ... e-balance/

Wow, you mean to tell me that Hungarians working forty hours a week, might have to work 48 hours? Oh tragedy of tragedies, this is slavery! It's not like the average American would ever have to work 48 hours a week - that'd be slavery... unless you count driving time, for which you're also not paid, but it's hard to work without getting to work. Maybe next time look up simple statistics, before equating a forty eight hour workweek to slavery, eh Wrepland?

>tfw an extra three hours of work is slavery
Europeans are a funny sort.
hey now, they take maximum work weeks seriously, and that's commendable.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:40 am

Novus Wrepland wrote:
Kaggeceria wrote:OP is misleading. Read the article.

The extra hours are not compulsory.

If you were mislead it was due to your own inability. The relevant section was quoted for you to learn that the law has gone through changes. Furthermore, in my own writing this is what you will find: “Why did Fidesz feel the need to squeeze Hungarian labor.” I am very particular with my words. The most important part of the op (the question posed, as per NSG’s guidelines) , being the thing which should receive the most attention, referred to the past-tense motivation of the prime mover behind the legislation. If I were misleading I would have said something on the lines of “why does Fidesz do this?” but that is unfortunately not the case.

Are you claiming that you can interpret feelings of a political party?
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Aellex
Senator

Founded: Apr 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aellex » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:35 am

Liriena wrote:
Novus Wrepland wrote:Hungary, like other countries in eastern Europe, is struggling with a labor shortage that’s drawn complaints from companies that they can’t find enough qualified workers to fill vacant posts.

Hmmm... this sounds like the sort of problem that could be mitigated by allowing qualified workers from abroad to come live in their countries... but nah, why stop being a dick to foreigners when you can just be a dick to your own working people too?

Tbf, the immigration the Hungarians have been cracking down upon is the illegal one and it's a non/very low skilled one.
Citoyen Français. Disillusioned Gaulliste. Catholique.

Tombé au champ d'honneur, add 11400 posts.

Member of the Committee
for Proletarian Morality

RIP Balk, you were too good a shitposter for this site.

Previous

Return to General