NATION

PASSWORD

#MeToo Becomes #LeaveMeAlone

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Earestinia
Civilian

Founded: Oct 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Earestinia » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:18 pm

Can I just say I love how reasonable the discourse in this forum is? I'm so glad its not the toxic trash fire I expected it to be. I was expecting the comment section on any political news video, instead I got an actual reasonable argument with valid points on both sides. Luv this community.
I personally tend to learn more liberal on this issue, but I get the point of the right. It does suck how hard it is to prove. really it surprises me that this is one of the only crimes with such a weird complication. I think thats partially due to the culture tho. regular assault, we all tend to agree on a definition, everyone knows it when they see it, and we all agree its wrong. Very few cases of people reporting false assaults become newsworthy because regular assault is uncontroversial. Maybe if we stopped loading sexual assault with all this political aggression and focused more on what we agree on it would stop being such a big deal.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:21 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
And where do you get that idea from?

Well there's the fact that people are upset by Spain using multiple crimes instead of multiple degrees and nobody saying shit about the fact a man as a matter of law cannot be raped by a woman in the United Kingdom. We still won't classify "made to penetrate" as rape for statistical purposes. Organizations teach people to downplay the harm done to male victims. So you know, looking at stuff.

I think these ladies need to check their female privilege
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:22 pm

Earestinia wrote:Can I just say I love how reasonable the discourse in this forum is? I'm so glad its not the toxic trash fire I expected it to be. I was expecting the comment section on any political news video, instead I got an actual reasonable argument with valid points on both sides. Luv this community.
I personally tend to learn more liberal on this issue, but I get the point of the right. It does suck how hard it is to prove. really it surprises me that this is one of the only crimes with such a weird complication. I think thats partially due to the culture tho. regular assault, we all tend to agree on a definition, everyone knows it when they see it, and we all agree its wrong. Very few cases of people reporting false assaults become newsworthy because regular assault is uncontroversial. Maybe if we stopped loading sexual assault with all this political aggression and focused more on what we agree on it would stop being such a big deal.

It's not purely political, if most people occasionally stabbed one another and the survival of our species in fact depended on it investigating when someone said they weren't down to be stabbed would be difficult.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Dirty Americans
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dirty Americans » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:22 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:Agriculturalism and poor mechanisation led to people having larger families, not values.

Values do play a role in family size, but that is in contrast to a more modern selfish contraceptive mode which postpones children for as long as possible. Once you take that out of the equation, things get strange rather quickly. The new neighbors (as in the couples in general, not one set of neighbors) on my block aren't particularly religious nor are they agricultural. But the babies keep popping up in the strollers (like on in the stroller and one in the you know what).

I was going to say "oven" but sometimes euphemisms actually sound worse than the word they are trying to represent.
Dirty Americans of The East Pacific
Member of the Tzorsland Puppet Federation
Mike Rowe, Leader / John Henry, Ambassador
Bill Nye Science Guy / Rosie O'Donnel Social Warrior/ Michelle Obama Food Expert

Mzeusia
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Mzeusia » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:22 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Mzeusia wrote:The is that Cultural Conservatism will bring back traditionalist values and therefore people will start having larger families.

Agriculturalism and poor mechanisation led to people having larger families, not values. Even in conservative nations the birth rate is declining rapidly, because we don't need kids to work the farm anymore. Even a sexually repressive backlash to things like this wont increase birth rates.

Yeah, I guess that's true. Well, better break out those ploughs and get me some cabbage soup.
If you are interested in having the Mzeusian Library write something for your nation, click here!

Pro: volone is an Italian cheese made from cow's milk.
Anti: gua is one of the 2 major islands that make up the Caribbean nation of Antigua and Barbuda. I wonder what the other island is?

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:24 pm

Earestinia wrote:Can I just say I love how reasonable the discourse in this forum is? I'm so glad its not the toxic trash fire I expected it to be. I was expecting the comment section on any political news video, instead I got an actual reasonable argument with valid points on both sides. Luv this community.

Rape victims would like their rapests in jail, people who like due process would like a high standard of proof, as both one has to win out.
If he was in jail now, would I be happy? I suppose in some senses yes, but ultimately...what does it do to me. He's done the damage now, I'll never see this man again because he's fucked off back to Belgium hopefully never to return. I'd just like society to take male rape victims anywhere near as seriously as it does female ones and give them close to the same amount of support, it isn't much to ask.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:24 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:

I don't think that's a healthy or productive way of thinking or behaving.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:40 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

It isn't. If it sounds bad this way, it's equally bad when ppl yell "check your cis white male privilege!" It's satire. I'm not even white in america and im growing tired of everyone claiming to be oppressed and it's all the fault of the evil white man. I wish these so called "vulnerable minorities" would visit a north korean labor camp so they could see what real oppression is, as opposed to some neckbeard calling you a sexist name or racist slur online
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:50 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:

It isn't. If it sounds bad this way, it's equally bad when ppl yell "check your cis white male privilege!" It's satire. I'm not even white in america and im growing tired of everyone claiming to be oppressed and it's all the fault of the evil white man. I wish these so called "vulnerable minorities" would visit a north korean labor camp so they could see what real oppression is, as opposed to some neckbeard calling you a sexist name or racist slur online

Are we doing Oppression Olympics again?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:53 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:

Still not productive Rojava old bean. I get the motivation, and how easy it might be to resort to those tactics, but sending someone to a labour camp just because of wrongthink is no better than those you are criticising.
Last edited by Hirota on Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:56 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:It isn't. If it sounds bad this way, it's equally bad when ppl yell "check your cis white male privilege!" It's satire. I'm not even white in america and im growing tired of everyone claiming to be oppressed and it's all the fault of the evil white man. I wish these so called "vulnerable minorities" would visit a north korean labor camp so they could see what real oppression is, as opposed to some neckbeard calling you a sexist name or racist slur online

When you see someone's shit as unwarranted and destructive mimicking them is not the solution.

Rezmaeristan
Envoy

Founded: Nov 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rezmaeristan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:00 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Rezmaeristan wrote:My hope is that this eventually reverses the sexual revolution ushering in a new age of cultural conservatism, high fertility rates, and general good feelings.

How will cultural conservatism improve fertility rates?

And how will constant repression make people feel good?

Cultural conservatism says getting married and having kids ASAP is important. In a culturally conservative society, being a "Christmas Cake"(not married at 25) will be seen as a negative(unless you're a priest or ascetic) Also, if we could get fewer people going to college(i.e. all the people going there who wouldn't have 35 years ago), that would help.

As for "constant repression" aka chastity and ordered sexual desires:

No more objectification. People will see each other as people, not as sex objects. There will always be few bad apples but it won't be the norm. Also, a greater stigma on pre/extra-marital sex will reduce its negative effects on relationships.
Last edited by Rezmaeristan on Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pro:Cultural Nationalism, Traditionalism, Workers' Rights, Fascism, Legal Equality, Limited Immigration, Environment
Anti:Capitalism, Communism, Globalism, Progressivism, Mass Immigration, Imperialism, Equality of Outcome,
Rezmaeristan mostly represents my views, but in some ways represents stereotypes of fascist countries.
A South-Central Asian national syndicalist elected monarchy, isolated by mountains and deserts.
✠ (Put this in your Signature if you are a Fascist Nation!)
"Neither left, nor right, nor even center" - Official position of the Mouvement Populaire de la Revolution

I'm a proud member of the Dark Light Family
Forum posts are non-canon if they conflict with the Factbook.
Accidental policies: No Sports

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:09 pm

Rezmaeristan wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Cultural conservatism says getting married and having kids ASAP is important. In a culturally conservative society, being a "Christmas Cake"(not married at 25) will be seen as a negative(unless you're a priest or ascetic) Also, if we could get fewer people going to college(i.e. all the people going there who wouldn't have 35 years ago), that would help.

No more objectification. People will see each other as people, not as sex objects. There will always be few bad apples but it won't be the norm. Also, a greater stigma on pre/extra-marital sex will reduce its negative effects on relationships.

Or we could, you know, not drag society kicking and screaming back to the nineteenth century.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:11 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Rojava might be, you might be projecting. Das and I are arguing against indulging in it and sending people to the work gangs for wrongthink
Last edited by Hirota on Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Rezmaeristan
Envoy

Founded: Nov 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rezmaeristan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:12 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Rezmaeristan wrote:

Or we could, you know, not drag society kicking and screaming back to the nineteenth century.

Much of Central Africa is like this at the moment. Is it any wonder they're breeding like rabbits? If we wish to breed like rabbits(which we're not at the moment, unfortunately), we must study those who do.
Pro:Cultural Nationalism, Traditionalism, Workers' Rights, Fascism, Legal Equality, Limited Immigration, Environment
Anti:Capitalism, Communism, Globalism, Progressivism, Mass Immigration, Imperialism, Equality of Outcome,
Rezmaeristan mostly represents my views, but in some ways represents stereotypes of fascist countries.
A South-Central Asian national syndicalist elected monarchy, isolated by mountains and deserts.
✠ (Put this in your Signature if you are a Fascist Nation!)
"Neither left, nor right, nor even center" - Official position of the Mouvement Populaire de la Revolution

I'm a proud member of the Dark Light Family
Forum posts are non-canon if they conflict with the Factbook.
Accidental policies: No Sports

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:12 pm

Hirota wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Rojava might be, you might be projecting. Das and I are arguing against indulging in it.

I mean I think saying that we can't debate about problems that may or may not exist in our society because people elsewhere have it worse is kind of stupid.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:17 pm

Rezmaeristan wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Much of Central Africa is like this at the moment. Is it any wonder they're breeding like rabbits? If we wish to breed like rabbits(which we're not at the moment, unfortunately), we must study those who do.

So why is there a need to increase fertility rates?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:27 pm

Vassenor wrote:So why is there a need to increase fertility rates?

Among other things, developed countries have a birthrate at the moment that is below the rate of replacement, that is, countries are projected to start shrinking in population rather than grow. Japan and Germany are two of these countries that spring to mind.

This may cause a number of consequences, chief among which is the smaller tax base from which governments can draw the money needed to fund social services, particularly pensions. There's also the issue of having not enough qualified workers in certain industries, these can cause production issues for manufacturing companies and generally have businesses not running effectively.

This should "concern" most people (I obviously don't give a single fuck because I'll be dead before I'm 60) because our generation and those following us will be seeing the effects of this in the future.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

-Ocelot-
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby -Ocelot- » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:45 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Rezmaeristan wrote:

So why is there a need to increase fertility rates?

To speed up resource depletion and guarantee disastrous climate change, of course!

Lendenburgh
Envoy

Founded: Nov 16, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Lendenburgh » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:09 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
Vassenor wrote:So why is there a need to increase fertility rates?

Among other things, developed countries have a birthrate at the moment that is below the rate of replacement, that is, countries are projected to start shrinking in population rather than grow. Japan and Germany are two of these countries that spring to mind.

This may cause a number of consequences, chief among which is the smaller tax base from which governments can draw the money needed to fund social services, particularly pensions. There's also the issue of having not enough qualified workers in certain industries, these can cause production issues for manufacturing companies and generally have businesses not running effectively.

This should "concern" most people (I obviously don't give a single fuck because I'll be dead before I'm 60) because our generation and those following us will be seeing the effects of this in the future.

Or, we could accept the conventional logic accepted by most human geographers that birth rates fall in developed societies, and the world population will level out around 10 billion, and instead use immigration to fill gaps in the economy. Automation will reduce the need for low-skilled labor anyways, so it doesn't equate that we need more people for labor... and if the economy is constantly improving in productivity and generating more wealth regardless of population (Germany's economy has been growing quite in pace with its comparable counterparts, and Japan's economy isn't exactly crashing either), the need for more native-born people in any given society just... isn't there. Once again, in places like Japan there is a need for labor (at least in the short term) which could arguably be filled by immigration.

In terms of supporting pensioners, immigrants would help balance the age distribution of the population and would lead to more tax-paying citizens. (Specific to America: It would also help if state pensions didn't get raided into trillions of dollars in debt as well)

Petrasylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrasylvania » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:18 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Rezmaeristan wrote:

Wonder how many cried upon realizing The Handmaid's Tale isn't a documentary.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be proof of a pan-Islamic plot and Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand, crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of mentally ill lone wolves who do not represent their professed belief system at all.
The probability of someone secretly participating in homosexual acts is directly proportional to the frequency and loudness of their publicly professed disapproval and/or disgust for homosexuality.
If Donald Trump accuses an individual of malfeasance without evidence, it is almost a certainty either he or someone associated with him has in fact committed that very same malfeasance to a greater degree.

New Flag Courtesy of The Realist Polities

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:46 pm

Petrasylvania wrote:Wonder how many cried upon realizing The Handmaid's Tale isn't a documentary.

They probably rejoiced when they found out they get to beat men to death if they're falsely accused of rape.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:55 pm

Petrasylvania wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Wonder how many cried upon realizing The Handmaid's Tale isn't a documentary.

I wonder how many people genuinely believe that sound bites make you look better at debating. Their's a fair few.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:59 pm

Hirota wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:
Still not productive Rojava old bean. I get the motivation, and how easy it might be to resort to those tactics, but sending someone to a labour camp just because of wrongthink is no better than those you are criticising.

Jacksonville is more akin to escape from new york. we drop u in and u fight your way through streets of angry gang members, homeless people, giant terrifying bugs, hot weather and alligators.
In all seriousness it was a joke and a sneak diss at florida, but fr we need to stop treating these kinds of ppl as any more respectable than flat earthers

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:04 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Hirota wrote:Rojava might be, you might be projecting. Das and I are arguing against indulging in it.

I mean I think saying that we can't debate about problems that may or may not exist in our society because people elsewhere have it worse is kind of stupid.

There's a difference between facing societal ills and literally claiming oppression. It's like if someone who didnt like me smashed my front window with a rock and i compared it to the war in iraq. That's a huge leap, just like it's a huge leap to turn a rude online comment or the ignorance of some fellow citizens into "oppression." Women are not oppressed in America. The government is not terrorizing women with gun squads or forcing businesses to not pay them or denying them the right to vote as a group anymore. You cannot convince me that any entire demographic group in America is oppressed, because many of those who claim it the most refer to the behavior of some random asshole or harmless comments that easily offended them as proof of "oppression." We can criticize aspects of our society and i think there's plenty to fix with america, but female oppression is not on the list
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General