NATION

PASSWORD

Harry Potter Scenario

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

How would you react to having a Witch/Wizard in your family if you're non-magical?

Embrace their magic, be supportive.
67%
Hesitantly accept their magic and let them go.
13%
Let them decide what they want to do.
17%
Ignore the letter(s) or actively try to prevent contact with Wizarding world.
No votes
"We're going away, far away. Where they can't find us!"
3%

Total votes : 60

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:15 pm

Petrasylvania wrote:
New haven america wrote:There's no American Public Magic Schools though, there's only the 1.

1 school, serving a population of over ~3,500,000 people of 2 different nationalities that lives spread out in an area of over 7,000,000 sq mi.

Am I the only one who sees a problem with this place? Honestly, I think a Public Magic School would probably be better than the half-assed monstrosity that is Ilvermorney.

FOUND IT!

INNER-CITY WIZARD SCHOOL

Still looks more well run than a school with 3000000+ students.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:17 pm

New haven america wrote:
Petrasylvania wrote:FOUND IT!

INNER-CITY WIZARD SCHOOL

Still looks more well run than a school with 3000000+ students.

It wouldn't have 3 million students though, their wouldn't even be 3 million witches and wizards in America.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:28 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
New haven america wrote:Still looks more well run than a school with 3000000+ students.

It wouldn't have 3 million students though, their wouldn't even be 3 million witches and wizards in America.

Ah, my bad, I accidently took the US and Canadian populations as a whole. I've been studying for finals a lot today, forgive me. Revised numbers for the school would be ~800,000... that's still not good.

However, yes, there would be 3000000+ wizards in the US and ~300000 in Canada, as ~1% of the human population can practice magic.
Last edited by New haven america on Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:31 pm

New haven america wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:It wouldn't have 3 million students though, their wouldn't even be 3 million witches and wizards in America.

Ah, my bad, I was accidently took the US and Canadian populations as a whole. I've been studying for finals a lot today, forgive me. Revised numbers for the school would be ~800,000... that's still not good.

However, yes, there would be 3000000+ wizards in the US and ~300000 in Canada, as ~1% of the human population can practice magic.

Hogwarts numbers don't stack up then.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:31 pm

New haven america wrote:
Xmara wrote:I guess I'd have to let them go. I'd be incredibly jealous that my kid has magical powers and I don't, though.

Wonder if parents of geniuses/prodigies feel that way about their kids' gifts?

A lot of them basically take control of their child's lives and start living vicariously through them.

My parents did that a little with music, but it's better that way. Especially with Hogwarts. Everyone should be allowed to go to Hogwarts.

Heloin wrote:My whole reaction would be, "Cool, so magic does exist. Well off you go kid."

Geneviev wrote:It's probably like in the Bible, practicing magic is a sin too.

The Vatican has policies on how to deal with vampires and demonic possessions, while also noting that vampires don't exists and demons can't possess people.

Well... at least they're trying.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:31 pm

Do Canadians witches get to go to Ilvermorny?

Are there Wizarding schools in the Far East too (Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan etc)?

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:31 pm

New haven america wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:It wouldn't have 3 million students though, their wouldn't even be 3 million witches and wizards in America.

Ah, my bad, I was accidently took the US and Canadian populations as a whole. I've been studying for finals a lot today, forgive me. Revised numbers for the school would be ~800,000... that's still not good.

I've never read or watched Harry Potter so I guess here's as good of a place as any to ask. Why the hell can't any person learn to use magic?

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:32 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
New haven america wrote:Ah, my bad, I was accidently took the US and Canadian populations as a whole. I've been studying for finals a lot today, forgive me. Revised numbers for the school would be ~800,000... that's still not good.

Hogwarts numbers don't stack up then.

Yes, that's a noted plot hole people have been talking about for years now.

There are a lot of plot holes and things that don't really sense in the HP universe. Almost as if JK didn't have that much a roadmap when writing the books or something...
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:33 pm

Heloin wrote:
New haven america wrote:Ah, my bad, I was accidently took the US and Canadian populations as a whole. I've been studying for finals a lot today, forgive me. Revised numbers for the school would be ~800,000... that's still not good.

I've never read or watched Harry Potter so I guess here's as good of a place as any to ask. Why the hell can't any person learn to use magic?

Because as Malfoy would put it:

“Clearly, some of us are BATTER then others”

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:35 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:Do Canadians witches get to go to Ilvermorny?

Yes, Ilvermorny serves both the entirety of the US and Canada (Even Quebec).

No, I don't know how that works.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Bering
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bering » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:36 pm

New haven america wrote:

I mean, I wouldn't put too much stock in any solid number, since at one point Rowling said the Wizarding population of the UK was 3,000.

All told, it's been a fairly inconsistent number: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Wizar ... the_scenes

Not to argue your point of one school being to few for the US and Canada. Though if it were 1%, the number would be closer to 400k based on these infographics and dividing by 100:
https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... 1538604983
https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... 1538604942

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:36 pm

New haven america wrote:

Yes, Ilvermorny serves both the entirety of the US and Canada (Even Quebec).

Was there a Wizarding version of decolonization/American Revolution?

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:36 pm

Heloin wrote:

They have to be born with the ability.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Bering
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bering » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:37 pm

This is Japan's at least: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Mahou ... l_of_Magic

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:38 pm

Heloin wrote:

Magic is genetic, and better yet, it's also a recessive trait. So not anyone can learn it, you have to be born into it. (There are some exceptions though, like people who have 2 regular parents but develop magical abilities despite that fact, or people with 1 or 2 magical parents but never develop powers, etc...)

There's a lot of inbreeding and interfamily marriage going on in the HP universe...
Last edited by New haven america on Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Bering
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bering » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:40 pm

New haven america wrote:There's a lot of inbreeding and interfamily marriage going on in the HP universe...

And the fact that that's probably one of their lesser problems speaks volumes of at least UK wizarding society.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:48 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
New haven america wrote:Yes, Ilvermorny serves both the entirety of the US and Canada (Even Quebec).

No idea.

And looking at the Fantastic Beasts series, I don't think Rowling has any either.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:49 pm

New haven america wrote:
Heloin wrote:I've never read or watched Harry Potter so I guess here's as good of a place as any to ask. Why the hell can't any person learn to use magic?

Magic is genetic, and better yet, it's also a recessive trait. So not anyone can learn it, you have to be born into it. (There are some exceptions though, like people who have 2 regular parents but develop magical abilities despite that fact, or people with 1 or 2 magical parents but never develop powers, etc...)

There's a lot of inbreeding and interfamily marriage going on in the HP universe...

So wizards are basically just Hill Billy's according to J. K. Rowling?

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:54 pm

Heloin wrote:
New haven america wrote:Magic is genetic, and better yet, it's also a recessive trait. So not anyone can learn it, you have to be born into it. (There are some exceptions though, like people who have 2 regular parents but develop magical abilities despite that fact, or people with 1 or 2 magical parents but never develop powers, etc...)

sort of

however, pure blood status is celebrated (even though it maybe implies more inbreeding)
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:56 pm

New haven america wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

No idea.

And looking at the Fantastic Beasts series, I don't think Rowling has any either.

Muggles had a reason for separating from the British Empire (tax evasion by the rich, democratic propaganda etc)

What's the wizarding excuse for separating from the British Ministry of Magic/Crown?

If anything, the wizards in America should have stayed loyal to London

Also, why the hell does Grindelwald need an Obscurial when he already has the supposedly unbeatable Elder Wand (its not actually unbeatable but he doesn't know that right)?
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:59 pm

Heloin wrote:
New haven america wrote:Magic is genetic, and better yet, it's also a recessive trait. So not anyone can learn it, you have to be born into it. (There are some exceptions though, like people who have 2 regular parents but develop magical abilities despite that fact, or people with 1 or 2 magical parents but never develop powers, etc...)

Kinda. It's like of mix of royal inbreeding (To keep titles, money, property, etc... in check) and good ol' Alabama lovin' (There's no one else around...).
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Bering
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bering » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:00 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
New haven america wrote:No idea.

Muggles had a reason for separating from the British Empire (tax evasion by the rich, democratic propaganda etc)

What's the wizarding excuse for separating from the British Ministry of Magic/Crown?

If anything, the wizards in America should have stayed loyal to London

Also, why the hell does Grindelwald need an Obscurial when he already has the supposedly unbeatable Elder Wand (its not actually unbeatable but he doesn't know that right)?

Remember, the original holder of the wand was murdered for it (and is a well known story) and it has changed hands several times in the past. Just because he has the strongest wand in the world, doesn't mean he can't be overwhelmed by numbers of ambushed.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:01 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Heloin wrote:So wizards are basically just Hill Billy's according to J. K. Rowling?

sort of

however, pure blood status is celebrated (even though it maybe implies more inbreeding)

The great wizarding house of Hatfield and the rival wizard house McCoy.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:02 pm

Heloin wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
sort of

The great wizarding house of Hatfield and the rival wizard house McCoy.

My business prof. is a Hatfield.

Doesn't relate to anything, just felt like sharing.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:28 pm

Bering wrote:
New haven america wrote:There's a lot of inbreeding and interfamily marriage going on in the HP universe...

And the fact that that's probably one of their lesser problems speaks volumes of at least UK wizarding society.

Like how poverty and homelessness still somehow exists in the wizarding community even though they're capable of making interiors over 10x their size? Or how you could theoretically trade regular money for wizard money and get rich off of the trade off (Seriously, Rowling has never covered how this could be prevented)? Or the rampant racism going on in the community (With a school who's system seemingly encourages it)? Etc...
Last edited by New haven america on Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General