NATION

PASSWORD

The obsolete constitution

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

The obsolete constitution

Postby Joohan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:31 pm

This is more directed towards those who consider themselves as ardent supporters of the constitution and are dissatisfied with the current liberal climate of the United States.

Acknowledging your current dissatisfaction with the state of affairs in this nation, how is it that you can continue to support the current US constitution? You may argue that our nation has ran itself upon it's current course as a result of individuals and leaders ignoring the rules within the constitution or the intent of them, thus the document itself is not to blame but poor leaders; however, in such a case, it must be acknowledged that the constitution was powerless and failed to stop such corruptions from occurring - thus making it incompetent. The other line of thought then would be that the constitution does in fact uphold our current state of affairs because of how loosely organized and defined it was in the first place, such a case meaning that it is the foundation of a state which you are at odds with. If the constitution can only either be found as incompetent in upholding the vision held by the founders or as being the basis for our current state, then, why would you support it?

I am personally dissatisfied with our constitution, though I admire the vision upheld by our founding fathers - it was a very different time, and 200 years of wear and tear has demonstrated the documents many weaknesses. I am not entirely certain of what I would support as an alternative, but I am sure that a radical change is necessary.
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:43 pm

Joohan wrote:This is more directed towards those who consider themselves as ardent supporters of the constitution and are dissatisfied with the current liberal climate of the United States.

Acknowledging your current dissatisfaction with the state of affairs in this nation, how is it that you can continue to support the current US constitution? You may argue that our nation has ran itself upon it's current course as a result of individuals and leaders ignoring the rules within the constitution or the intent of them, thus the document itself is not to blame but poor leaders; however, in such a case, it must be acknowledged that the constitution was powerless and failed to stop such corruptions from occurring - thus making it incompetent. The other line of thought then would be that the constitution does in fact uphold our current state of affairs because of how loosely organized and defined it was in the first place, such a case meaning that it is the foundation of a state which you are at odds with. If the constitution can only either be found as incompetent in upholding the vision held by the founders or as being the basis for our current state, then, why would you support it?

I am personally dissatisfied with our constitution, though I admire the vision upheld by our founding fathers - it was a very different time, and 200 years of wear and tear has demonstrated the documents many weaknesses. I am not entirely certain of what I would support as an alternative, but I am sure that a radical change is necessary.

What faults specifically do you think that it has? You have given vague references to it being incompetent in the face of corruption, but isn't that the case with almost every document of law out there, that they can either be circumvented or corrupted in various ways, or are unable to prevent corruption? It could be argued that documents themselves cannot prevent corruption, only the actions of people can, so the point about the constitution being unable to prevent corruption is invalidated from the start.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The Galactic Liberal Democracy
Minister

Founded: Jun 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Galactic Liberal Democracy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:45 pm

I'll mention one obvious point: it can be amended.
NOT STORMTROOPERS
Cossack Khanate wrote:This shall forever be known as World War Sh*t: Newark Aggression. Now if I see one more troop deployed, I will call on the force of all the Hindu gods to reverse time and wipe your race of the face of the planet. Cease.

The Black Party wrote:(TBP kamikaze's into all 99999999999 nukes before they hit our territory because we just have that many pilots ready to die for dah blak regime, we also counter-attack into your nation with our entire population of 45 million because this RP allows it.)

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Galatic Liberal Democracy short-circuits all of NS with FACTS and LOGIC

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:49 pm

The Galactic Liberal Democracy wrote:I'll mention one obvious point: it can be amended.

Indeed it can. But it seems that the OP considers the flaws in it to be much more fundamental than that, requiring the constitution to be completely scrapped.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Flawless Walruses
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Flawless Walruses » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:49 pm

"The strength of a wall depends on the courage of the men who who defend it."
- apocryphal, attributed to Genghis Khan

The men who command the bayonets (and banknotes) cannot be compelled by a piece of paper, only by their dependency on others.

Written constitutions and codes of law must have seemed magical and mysterious in an age of general illiteracy (Hamurabi's, for example), but they have teeth only as long as they represent the will of the members of powerful. As soon as they don't, creative minds have always "reinterpreted" them to permit whatever the powerful want, and oppose whatever the powerful oppose. Witness Article 1 section 8, and the expansive definitions of "interstate commerce". When creativity fails, judges and politicians can simply make up loopholes where no loophole ever existed - "obscenity" and "national security" .

The only way to give Constitutions teeth is to make them out of something other than paper, something that can enforce itself. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_contract is one way to do it, but building a "smart contract" and political consensus to create chain of dependency all the way from a mathematical blockchain to a soldier in the rain is going to be a daunting project.
Last edited by Flawless Walruses on Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Torrocca wrote:The people are the militia, comrade. :^)

Dagnia
Senator

Founded: Jul 27, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dagnia » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:02 pm

What specifically should be changed? Dissatisfaction with leadership is high in most democracies at the moment, and there is no common theme in the way their government is run (presidential, semi-presidential, parliamentary, unitary, federal, social democratic, darwinian capitalist, elections every x# years, etc.). The only common theme is the people running these countries, old elites who can jet themselves or just their money to anywhere in the world and have no real stake in anything and will happily see you starve if your existence gets in the way of their visions for the world or just them making an extra dollar.
Wait an hour, and it will be now again

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:21 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Joohan wrote:This is more directed towards those who consider themselves as ardent supporters of the constitution and are dissatisfied with the current liberal climate of the United States.

What faults specifically do you think that it has? You have given vague references to it being incompetent in the face of corruption, but isn't that the case with almost every document of law out there, that they can either be circumvented or corrupted in various ways, or are unable to prevent corruption? It could be argued that documents themselves cannot prevent corruption, only the actions of people can, so the point about the constitution being unable to prevent corruption is invalidated from the start.

My OP was vague on purpose. I am not pointing to any single article of the constitution as the cause of it's inadequacies, but rather the document as it's whole as being inadequate. The point of the constitution upon it's creation was to establish a system free from the corrupting tendencies prevalent in the British model. However, over the course of this nation's history, we have found that despite the safeguards initially placed in our constitution that we have adopted numerous negative qualities: a nearly supreme judiciary, party domination of government institutions, machine politics, ghost backers, etc ( nothing to mention of the social aspects, if you are of that ideological persuasion ).

The initial intent of the constitution was to avoid such qualities - and we find now that it is insufficient. Something new, and more than an amendment, is needed.
Last edited by Joohan on Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:22 pm

The Galactic Liberal Democracy wrote:I'll mention one obvious point: it can be amended.

An amendment isn't going to reverse 241 years of jurisprudence.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:25 pm

Flawless Walruses wrote:"The strength of a wall depends on the courage of the men who who defend it."
- apocryphal, attributed to Genghis Khan

The men who command the bayonets (and banknotes) cannot be compelled by a piece of paper, only by their dependency on others.

Written constitutions and codes of law must have seemed magical and mysterious in an age of general illiteracy (Hamurabi's, for example), but they have teeth only as long as they represent the will of the members of powerful. As soon as they don't, creative minds have always "reinterpreted" them to permit whatever the powerful want, and oppose whatever the powerful oppose. Witness Article 1 section 8, and the expansive definitions of "interstate commerce". When creativity fails, judges and politicians can simply make up loopholes where no loophole ever existed - "obscenity" and "national security" .

The only way to give Constitutions teeth is to make them out of something other than paper, something that can enforce itself. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_contract is one way to do it, but building a "smart contract" and political consensus to create chain of dependency all the way from a mathematical blockchain to a soldier in the rain is going to be a daunting project.

I am not too familiar with smart contracts. Could you explain the idea you had in mind?

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:31 pm

It will be amusing to observe the gyrations of those who image they have the power to replace this foundational document.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:32 pm

Pope Joan wrote:It will be amusing to observe the gyrations of those who image they have the power to replace this foundational document.

Isn't that pretty much all debate on the internet is? :roll:

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:36 pm

It may be imperfect and perhaps a complete rewrite might be in order but.. it's a headache even contemplating the amount of partisan screaming that would be involved in doing so..

..for any of its imperfections it can be amended and I think that's probably the way to go.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:38 pm

OP, you're Right. There should be a new constitution

Amendment 1. I am the Senate
Amendment 2. I have Unlimted Power
Amendment 3. You can own whatever firearm you want (Including Tanks, Battleships, and RPGs, no nukes sorry ancaps)
Amendment 4. Pineapple on Pizza is punishable by death
Amendment 5. What am I doing with my life
Amendment 6. Send help, he has a gun. My address is 3303 Sage Rd, Houston HELP

There, it's perfect.
Last edited by Hammer Britannia on Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All shall tremble before me

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:38 pm

On the positive side, it would keep the main stream media occupied for awhile, which would be an improvement
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:38 pm

It is the fact that it can be amended that keeps it from being obsolete.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:39 pm

Bombadil wrote:It may be imperfect and perhaps a complete rewrite might be in order but.. it's a headache even contemplating the amount of partisan screaming that would be involved in doing so..

..for any of its imperfections it can be amended and I think that's probably the way to go.

I don't think that a single amendment will be enough, and if we are doing a plethora of amendments we might as well just rewrite the whole thing. Of course such things are hard - but woe is the life of the easy.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:39 pm

Hammer Britannia wrote:OP, you're Right. There should be a new constitution

Amendment 1. I am the Senate
Amendment 2. I have Unlimted Power
Amendment 3. You can own whatever firearm you want (Including Tanks, Battleships, and RPGs, no nukes sorry ancaps)
Amendment 4. Pineapple on Pizza is punishable by death
Amendment 5. What am I doing with my life

There, it's perfect.

You've got my vote :p

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:40 pm

I'm curious what, exactly, is obsolete? Is there a set of failings in the articles? A balance of powers issue? Or is the notion of a nigh-immutable document of the nation's highest laws itself an issue?
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:41 pm

Godular wrote:It is the fact that it can be amended that keeps it from being obsolete.

a single amendment would be inadequate, and if a plethora were to be proposed than we might as well just rewrite.

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xmara » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:41 pm

And what do we replace it with?
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:42 pm

Joohan wrote:
Godular wrote:It is the fact that it can be amended that keeps it from being obsolete.

a single amendment would be inadequate, and if a plethora were to be proposed than we might as well just rewrite.

Not necessarily. What areas do you believe require adjustment specifically?
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Dark Socialism
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Dark Socialism » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:42 pm

Xmara wrote:And what do we replace it with?

The Futurist Manifesto
Im leaving nationstates to prepare for EMP attack by the US government
A Futuristic Fascist empire in the American southwest where the population is selectively bred for eternal war and spiritual civilization.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:43 pm

Joohan wrote:
Bombadil wrote:It may be imperfect and perhaps a complete rewrite might be in order but.. it's a headache even contemplating the amount of partisan screaming that would be involved in doing so..

I don't think that a single amendment will be enough, and if we are doing a plethora of amendments we might as well just rewrite the whole thing. Of course such things are hard - but woe is the life of the easy.

I think a more pressing issue is campaign finance, that's essentially where the corruption comes in. Honestly a lot of campaigning and lobbying could be managed online.

Remove those and I think the Constitution stands very well as a structure for government. If you've ever seen the EU Constitution, which runs to some billion pages.. that's the likely outcome of a complete rewrite, so much faff it becomes even more political.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:46 pm

The New California Republic wrote:

I believe it might have something to do with treating women as equals and the fact that gay people are allowed to be openly gay and blacks aren’t in slavery
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:46 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Joohan wrote:

I think a more pressing issue is campaign finance, that's essentially where the corruption comes in. Honestly a lot of campaigning and lobbying could be managed online.

Remove those and I think the Constitution stands very well as a structure for government. If you've ever seen the EU Constitution, which runs to some billion pages.. that's the likely outcome of a complete rewrite, so much faff it becomes even more political.

Campaign finance law can be effectively dealt with via statute, though. No need for a constitutional amendment on a topic that will necessarily require routine revisions.

Lawful Evil

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General