NATION

PASSWORD

Riots in France over fuel tax rises

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Macron...

Like the guy and his policies
14%
Like the guy but not his policies
18%
Dislike the guy but not his policies
4%
Dislike the guy and his policies
64%

Total votes : 242

Eilodon
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Eilodon » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:24 pm

Petrolheadia wrote:
Great. Now we're doing crony dumping and planning duping Americans into buying outdated stuff by proper advertising.

But hasn't that always happened? As an American, I can say with confidence that we are pretty retarded. Show some propaganda and advertising and we will do anything or be loyal and fight for anything. Whether it be fidget spinners or bloody glow up sneakers. Or vote for Republicans & Democrats.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:25 pm

The South Falls wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:Great. Now we're doing crony dumping and planning duping Americans into buying outdated stuff by proper advertising.

Outdated stuff? Huh? How is a new car outdated?

The Beetle was outdated the moment Europe and Asia were rebuilt enough for competitors to invest into economy cars. Even contemporary designs of a "people's car", like the Citroen 2CV or Steyr Baby, were more advanced.

Americans were keeping it afloat, and even them gravitated towards Opels, Fords, Toyotas, Datsuns and all that jazz by the late 60s and early 70s.
Last edited by Petrolheadia on Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:27 pm

Eilodon wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:
Great. Now we're doing crony dumping and planning duping Americans into buying outdated stuff by proper advertising.

But hasn't that always happened? As an American, I can say with confidence that we are pretty retarded. Show some propaganda and advertising and we will do anything or be loyal and fight for anything. Whether it be fidget spinners or bloody glow up sneakers. Or vote for Republicans & Democrats.

Most countries would do that.

It's that in the US nobody bothered to really challenge the Beetle - until the Japanese did and gave it a beatdown (with American help).
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:27 pm

Petrolheadia wrote:
The South Falls wrote:Outdated stuff? Huh? How is a new car outdated?

The Beetle was outdated the moment Europe and Asia were rebuilt enough for competitors to invest into economy cars. Even contemporary designs of a "people's car", like the Citroen 2CV or Steyr Baby, were more advanced.

Americans were keeping it afloat, and even them gravitated towards Opels, Fords, Toyotas, Datsuns and all that jazz by the late 60s and early 70s.

I mean, it wouldn't literally be a Volkswagen, would it? The idea of the people's car is not outdated. You can still have a car that's mostly for those with less income.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:28 pm

Petrolheadia wrote:

The beetle was a thirty year old design by the time it ever saw serious production.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:28 pm

I still maintain it ain't a true French riot without the Parisian barricades.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:31 pm

The South Falls wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:The Beetle was outdated the moment Europe and Asia were rebuilt enough for competitors to invest into economy cars. Even contemporary designs of a "people's car", like the Citroen 2CV or Steyr Baby, were more advanced.

I mean, it wouldn't literally be a Volkswagen, would it? The idea of the people's car is not outdated. You can still have a car that's mostly for those with less income.

Except that just a few years of serious post-war research into economy car showed you can build one with four doors, independent front suspension, unibody construction and possibly FWD, as opposed to the VW's two doors, torsion bar, body on frame and rear engine RWD.
Last edited by Petrolheadia on Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:32 pm

Petrolheadia wrote:

However, I didn't say I wanted the car to be outdated.

Only that the hypothetical French car manufacturer would be based on an idea like Volkswagen.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:33 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:The Beetle was outdated the moment Europe and Asia were rebuilt enough for competitors to invest into economy cars. Even contemporary designs of a "people's car", like the Citroen 2CV or Steyr Baby, were more advanced.

Only that the hypothetical French car manufacturer would be based on an idea like Volkswagen.

Which was a crony soon-to-be-outdated compromise.

The only thing keeping it from being quickly outdated was WWII, and we certainly do not want another one.
Last edited by Petrolheadia on Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:35 pm

Petrolheadia wrote:

Which was a crony soon-to-be-outdated compromise.

The concept around an economy car is not however. Making my original point stand.

Make an electric economy car for the people of France. Gas price problem solved.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:39 pm

Petrolheadia wrote:Which was a crony soon-to-be-outdated compromise.

The concept around an economy car is not however. Making my original point stand.

Make an electric economy car for the people of France. Gas price problem solved.

You wasn't talking about any economy car, but the soon-outdated crony scheme of Volkswagen.

Private enterprise has been investing into cheap electric cars for quite some time. Nobody's really hit the spot yet, because batteries cost a lot.
Last edited by Petrolheadia on Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:40 pm

Petrolheadia wrote:Which was a crony soon-to-be-outdated compromise.

If the opportunity existed for an economy electric car. someone would have jumped on it. Long story short, there's a reason electric cars are rare, expendive. and of limited use.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Eilodon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Eilodon » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:41 pm

Petrolheadia wrote:
Eilodon wrote:

Most countries would do that.

It's that in the US nobody bothered to really challenge the Beetle - until the Japanese did and gave it a beatdown (with American help).

Heh no arguements here. When it comes to the OG American company, Ford, they aren't even really that popular globally. And in America, they are just... There.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:42 pm

Petrolheadia wrote:

You wasn't talking about any economy car, but the soon-outdated crony scheme of Volkswagen.

Private enterprise has been investing into cheap electric cars for quite some time. Nobody's really hit the spot yet, because batteries cost a lot.

No, I was talking about the concept around Volkswagen and implementing something like that into France.

Well maybe France could hit zed sweet spot?

Eilodon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Eilodon » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:43 pm

Petrolheadia wrote:Private enterprise has been investing into cheap electric cars for quite some time. Nobody's really hit the spot yet, because batteries cost a lot.

Im going out on a limb here, but I can see by your name your a grease monkey? Big car guy?

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:44 pm

Petrolheadia wrote:You wasn't talking about any economy car, but the soon-outdated crony scheme of Volkswagen.

No, I was talking about the concept around Volkswagen and implementing something like that into France.

The VW success model involved cronyism, a tax drain, a war holding rival engineering back and Americans unaware of other import economy cars.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:45 pm

There are other ways to raise taxes. Tax the rich, as a partial solution. If the rich in France are not taxed enough already.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:47 pm

The South Falls wrote:There are other ways to raise taxes. Tax the rich, as a partial solution. If the rich in France are not taxed enough already.

Why the classism?

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:48 pm

Petrolheadia wrote:
The South Falls wrote:There are other ways to raise taxes. Tax the rich, as a partial solution. If the rich in France are not taxed enough already.

Why the classism?

I mean, if France's taxes on the rich are low, start there. Just raise taxes period. It's less noticeable.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:49 pm

The South Falls wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:Why the classism?

I mean, if France's taxes on the rich are low, start there. Just raise taxes period. It's less noticeable.

Why do anything? And then why bias the system against a certain class?
Last edited by Petrolheadia on Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:55 pm

Petrolheadia wrote:

The VW success model involved cronyism, a tax drain, a war holding rival engineering back and Americans unaware of other import economy cars.

It would be a different market sense it would only be in France.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:57 pm

Petrolheadia wrote:The VW success model involved cronyism, a tax drain, a war holding rival engineering back and Americans unaware of other import economy cars.

It would be a different market sense it would only be in France.

>tfw somebody thinks it wouldn't make the idea an even bigger tax drain

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:00 pm

Eilodon wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:Private enterprise has been investing into cheap electric cars for quite some time. Nobody's really hit the spot yet, because batteries cost a lot.

Im going out on a limb here, but I can see by your name your a grease monkey? Big car guy?

Yes.

New Lindale
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Lindale » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:04 pm

Oh France, we all knew it was going to collapse at some point.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:23

Kaggeceria
Minister

Founded: Feb 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaggeceria » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:11 pm

Kaggeceria wrote:Nuclear fusion isn't really going to solve the problem of people not being able to afford gas to go to work.

I don't see anything about what you're talking about in that article.

It would drive down electricity prices to the point where gas could become affordable again.

And how long do you suppose it would take for nuclear fusion to become viable?

It also ties into what I was saying about electric cars. If France could do something like Volkswagen but with electric cars, that would also solve the problem of gas prices.

Petrolheadia wrote:I'd rather the French weren't duped into a too-good-to-be-true army funding fraud.

You missed the point.

Telconi wrote:
TBF the initial Volkswagen scheme only worked because the government was subsidizing it heavily. Specifically with money stolen from people it was murdering...

You'd need another source of subsidy funds, preferably sans genocide.

I'd just tax the rich and get France's unemployed people a job making cheap electric cars for the middle class.

The rich already get taxed in France.
The Kaggecerian Realm (PMT)
I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe
NSG's only Jewish Nazi with the spookiest flag

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General