NATION

PASSWORD

Missionary killed after trying to convert isolated tribe

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:28 am

Y'know, what the hell did he expect from a tribe that is not only known for immediate acts of violence, but also WAIT on the beach if they even see us coming towards them?

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:31 am

How unfortunate, Rest In Peace.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:32 am

Napkiraly wrote:Lmao imagine thinking his crime is worthy of death.

His crime is worthy of imprisonment and fines. Doing it contains the very real risk of death, part of why it's illegal.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Kaggeceria
Minister

Founded: Feb 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaggeceria » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:41 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
United Muscovite Nations wrote:That doesn't really make it not unfortunate.

Does it not make it fortunate ? He did not manage to infect them all and the world is rid of a criminal.
Sounds like a win/win.

Uh, they killed the dude, dragged his corpse and buried it. Probably got blood on themselves.

If he did have any of those scary preventable diseases he probably already gave it to them.

Guess we'll see if they're still there to murder people when the next Indian fishermen get shipwrecked on that island. If they aren't killed by the animals then they're gone.
Last edited by Kaggeceria on Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Kaggecerian Realm (PMT)
I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe
NSG's only Jewish Nazi with the spookiest flag

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:41 am

I like how people on this thread pretend to know why the Sentinelese killed John Chau as if they were communicating with them, and those reasons somehow justify his murder.

Well done, NSG!
Previous Profile: Minzerland
Donkey Advocate & Herald of Donkeydom
St Anselm of Canterbury wrote:[…]who ever heard of anything having two mothers or two fathers? (Monologion, pg. 63)

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:44 am

Minzerland II wrote:I like how people on this thread pretend to know why the Sentinelese killed John Chau as if they were communicating with them, and those reasons somehow justify his murder.

Well done, NSG!
(Image)

Welcome to humanity, where we constantly attempt to gain the moral upper ground over our opponents with convoluted arguments.

Duhon
Senator

Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:49 am

Self-defense is literally the only reason that makes sense.

And anyway, why should one (un?)intentionally kill off an insignificant tribe of a tiny island in the southern Bay of Bengal? Why expose them to that risk?

Duhon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:53 am

Kaggeceria wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
Does it not make it fortunate ? He did not manage to infect them all and the world is rid of a criminal.
Sounds like a win/win.

Uh, they killed the dude, dragged his corpse and buried it. Probably got blood on themselves.

If he did have any of those scary preventable diseases he probably already gave it to them.

Guess we'll see if they're still there to murder people when the next Indian fishermen get shipwrecked on that island. If they aren't killed by the animals then they're gone.

A person that comes into contact with most tainted blood does not usually get infected by blood borne pathogens at all, so long as the bloodied skin is unbroken. This holds true even in immunocompromised or otherwise immunologically defenseless persons.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:54 am

Duhon wrote:Self-defense is literally the only reason that makes sense.

And anyway, why should one (un?)intentionally kill off an insignificant tribe of a tiny island in the southern Bay of Bengal? Why expose them to that risk?

Well he seemed to like adventures and seemed to have liked spreading the word of God. I imagine a combination of those two drove him to the island.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:01 am

Okay, what happened to this guy really sucks, there's few things out there that really would make me think 'yeah that person deserves shooting' and as reckless and thoughtless as this person was, he didn't deserve death. In a better universe the fishing boats were intercepted and he's waiting a trial in an Indian jail cell for endangering the population of this island etc.

However, I'm struggling to see exactly what can be done here. We don't know who killed him and the insurmountable barriers of culture and language make an investigation impossible so it's not like a normal investigation can take place.

While there are patrols and such in place around the island, if someone isn't deterred by the many, many warnings and in this instance by thr fact they fired an arrow at him the last time he dropped by, I'm struggling to see how we can reasonably expect the Indian govt. To be able to stop every determined effort.

I'm assuming your comment about bombing was a joke and you aren't detatched from reality to the extent that you'd actually be OK with that so what is the solution here?

Personlly I'm struggling to see one aside from chalking this up as a damn good reason not to go there.
Last edited by Caracasus on Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:03 am

We don't know the reason because we know next to nothing about their culture or understand their language.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Kaggeceria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaggeceria » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:08 am

Caracasus wrote:

Okay, what happened to this guy really sucks, there's few things out there that really would make me think 'yeah that person deserves shooting' and as reckless and thoughtless as this person was, he didn't deserve death. In a better universe the fishing boats were intercepted and he's waiting a trial in an Indian jail cell for endangering the population of this island etc.

However, I'm struggling to see exactly what can be done here. We don't know who killed him and the insurmountable barriers of culture and language make an investigation impossible so it's not like a normal investigation can take place.

While there are patrols and such in place around the island, if someone isn't deterred by the many, many warnings and in this instance by thr fact they fired an arrow at him the last time he dropped by, I'm struggling to see how we can reasonably expect the Indian govt. To be able to stop every determined effort.

I'm assuming your comment about bombing was a joke and you aren't detatched from reality to the extent that you'd actually be OK with that so what is the solution here?

Personlly I'm struggling to see one aside from chalking this up as a damn good reason not to go there.

Personally, I'd prefer ending the idiotic idea of tribal sovereignty and then perhaps sending in some troops to quell their violent and animalistic tendencies so that they can't murder anymore fishermen and missionaries. And vaccinate the less violent ones so they don't run the risk of dying from preventable diseases.

But really what should be done right now is to retrieve the body so his family could at least give him a proper burial. The idiots who brought him there saw where it was buried. Just send in a really big boat. Make some loud noise, maybe shoot off some flairs to scare the Sentinelese (who knows, maybe they'll start worshipping the boat as a God or something). Then send in some men for quick retrieval of the corpse.
Last edited by Kaggeceria on Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaggeceria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaggeceria » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:14 am

Personally, I think the Sentinelese just need to embrace diversity. It is, after all, the current year and the murder of foreigners is really something we should not tolerate.

#openborders

Duhon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:14 am

Caracasus wrote:

We don't know the reason because we know next to nothing about their culture or understand their language.

In lieu of their own reason I supply the one that makes the only sense.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:21 am

Kaggeceria wrote:Personally, I think the Sentinelese just need to embrace diversity. It is, after all, the current year and the murder of foreigners is really something we should not tolerate.

#openborders

I think it's fine as long as they buy arms from us.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Kaggeceria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaggeceria » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:25 am

Bombadil wrote:
Kaggeceria wrote:Personally, I think the Sentinelese just need to embrace diversity. It is, after all, the current year and the murder of foreigners is really something we should not tolerate.

#openborders

I think it's fine as long as they buy arms from us.

Yes, an arms deal with the Sentinelese would be splendid.

We supply them with guns and tanks. They pay us with turtle shells and shiny beads.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:27 am

#openborders

A Christian friend of mine has posted this on FB and there's a raging debate as to whether, if this was truly God's Calling, then perhaps he should be considered more a martyr for his faith. They're making comparisons to missionaries who go to war torn countries or others who've died for their faith.

Interestingly others are saying missionaries receive years of training and he was off by himself so..

Quite interesting to read.
Last edited by Bombadil on Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Duhon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:34 am

Have any of them considered that potentially spreading disease along with the Good News is a bad thing for a would-be missionary to do? That as a man of God, you have to keep your chosen flock safe and sound, and this man didn't see to it that they were safe, never mind himself?

Mind if you carry over my objections, Bombadil?

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:52 am

An American citizen has been killed while attempting to spread the Gospel to Heathens? Deploy the Gunboats.
National Syndicalist
“The blood of the heroes is closer to God than the ink of the philosophers and the prayers of the faithful.” - Julius Evola
Endorsing Greg "Grab 'em by the Neck" Gianforte and Brett "I Like Beer" Kavanaugh for 2020

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:56 am

Duhon wrote:Have any of them considered that potentially spreading disease along with the Good News is a bad thing for a would-be missionary to do? That as a man of God, you have to keep your chosen flock safe and sound, and this man didn't see to it that they were safe, never mind himself?

So will we keep the Sentinelese caged up in their island for the rest of their existence? These people, I can only see, will die to disease eventually. We are just biding time till they’re finally wiped from existence.
St Anselm of Canterbury wrote:[…]who ever heard of anything having two mothers or two fathers? (Monologion, pg. 63)

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:08 am

Kaggeceria wrote:
Caracasus wrote:

Personally, I'd prefer ending the idiotic idea of tribal sovereignty and then perhaps sending in some troops to quell their violent and animalistic tendencies so that they can't murder anymore fishermen and missionaries. And vaccinate the less violent ones so they don't run the risk of dying from preventable diseases.

But really what should be done right now is to retrieve the body so his family could at least give him a proper burial. The idiots who brought him there saw where it was buried. Just send in a really big boat. Make some loud noise, maybe shoot off some flairs to scare the Sentinelese (who knows, maybe they'll start worshipping the boat as a God or something). Then send in some men for quick retrieval of the corpse.

Well, setting aside the pizza cutter for a second, I did kind of specify that using military force against these people wasn't a good idea - your second point seems slightly more plausible. Though of course you're still risking the lives of the people sent in to dig this guy up.

Duhon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:17 am

Minzerland II wrote:
Duhon wrote:Have any of them considered that potentially spreading disease along with the Good News is a bad thing for a would-be missionary to do? That as a man of God, you have to keep your chosen flock safe and sound, and this man didn't see to it that they were safe, never mind himself?

So will we keep the Sentinelese caged up in their island for the rest of their existence? These people, I can only see, will die to disease eventually. We are just biding time till they’re finally wiped from existence.

Given their numbers, there'll be (there's?) a good amount of inbreeding, a good amount of stillbirths and other neonatal and reproductive pathologies, so it's almost guaranteed genetics alone will do them in short order.

But unless we are sure our intervention will not kill them off, we must not intervene.

(Yes, I too am in favor of an intervention, but only if we can guarantee that we don't kill them off or subject them to a restricted quality of life in our seeking to save them from their own demise.)

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:28 am

Kaggeceria wrote:
Caracasus wrote:

On the whole, bring back Imperialism.
National Syndicalist
“The blood of the heroes is closer to God than the ink of the philosophers and the prayers of the faithful.” - Julius Evola
Endorsing Greg "Grab 'em by the Neck" Gianforte and Brett "I Like Beer" Kavanaugh for 2020

The Grims
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grims » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:28 am

Minzerland II wrote:

We are talking about the oldest still existing human civilisation. By far. The Chinese, the Hindus, let alone the Christians are all infants to them. Yes, they seem primitive, stale and violent - but they seem to excel at enduring.

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:06 am

The Grims wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:So will we keep the Sentinelese caged up in their island for the rest of their existence? These people, I can only see, will die to disease eventually. We are just biding time till they’re finally wiped from existence.

We are talking about the oldest still existing human civilisation. By far. The Chinese, the Hindus, let alone the Christians are all infants to them. Yes, they seem primitive, stale and violent - but they seem to excel at enduring.

Until a missionary brings over a disease that will wipe them out, of course!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General