NATION

PASSWORD

Missionary killed after trying to convert isolated tribe

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:05 pm

Andsed wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:Separatists just want to be left alone, and more often than not, it would have no impact on you. Any group could just hunker down and declare independence.
Also, define "most people". Atheists are the global minority.
Thirdly, money is only highly important for those who want material goods. For others, it is a distraction.

Separatist also affect the stability of a nation which affects it's people. You don't need to be atheist to not feel strongly about religion. And finally money dictates if you have shelter and food so it is kind of more important than a mere distraction believe it or not.

Ors Might wrote:But their newborns dying in the cold is an acceptable outcome to you? Look, if they reject modern medicine and the like after understanding that it could save their lices and allow them to thrive then fine. They’re a bunch of fools. But before all that, we’d have to introduce them to technology in the first place.

Yes so translate their language and then explain our tech to them. Then let them decide.

Translating a language that we know nothing about into English? That’s gonna be REAL easy.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:05 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Andsed wrote:Separatist also affect the stability of a nation which affects it's people. You don't need to be atheist to not feel strongly about religion. And finally money dictates if you have shelter and food so it is kind of more important than a mere distraction believe it or not.

If you take a vow of poverty and live solely by charity, money loses nearly all value. If you join a self-sustaining commune, money loses nearly all value.
So, are separatist movements tolerable as long as they're not large? These islanders are a small group, after all.

Yeah well it is much easier and more effective to actually get honest work and make money to live an actual comfortable life. And yes small separatist groups like these islanders are tolerable.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Fartsniffage
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Fartsniffage » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:06 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/trump-wampanoag-reservation-thanksgiving_us_5bf5b80de4b03b230f9e44ac

Natives should kill Americans on sight. It's only sensible from their point of view.

Sooooo...pushing for unlawful murder on American soil now? Awesome.

Also, Natives are Americans. You making them to be an “other” in society only makes them more vulnerable to violence against them. It’s why violence against gay and transgender folks is a thing. It doesn’t empower them to say they are separate from Americans, we’ve seen that this exact mindset is what led to things like the Trail of Tears. And you have no room to say what is “sensible” while calling for the deaths of people “on sight”.

You're funny. :)

Ors Might
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:06 pm

Andsed wrote:
Ors Might wrote:And religion is a great way to do those things. Churches in my area are close knit communities that frequently have BBQs and Trunk-Or-Treats. Easy to make friends there if you’re into religion.

Okay fine religion has a small bit of value to society and by proxy so do nuns and missionary and priest.

It’s also a fairly reliable source of social order and can moderate societal change that might be disastrous if it happens too quickly. Not my preferred form of it but give credit where it’s due.

Luminesa wrote:
Ors Might wrote:And religion is a great way to do those things. Churches in my area are close knit communities that frequently have BBQs and Trunk-Or-Treats. Easy to make friends there if you’re into religion.

COME TO THE JESUS SIDE.

WE. HAVE. CHICKEN.

I may not be a man of God but I’ll be a choir boy for a plate of smoked pulled pork.
https://youtu.be/gvjOG5gboFU Best diss track of all time

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:07 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Andsed wrote:Separatist also affect the stability of a nation which affects it's people. You don't need to be atheist to not feel strongly about religion. And finally money dictates if you have shelter and food so it is kind of more important than a mere distraction believe it or not.

Yes so translate their language and then explain our tech to them. Then let them decide.

Translating a language that we know nothing about into English? That’s gonna be REAL easy.

It will take a lot of time but it is better than going in and forcing them to embrace our technology. Also who said it had to be translated into English?
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Duhon
Senator

Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:08 pm

Would they be able to appreciate the conveniences of contemporary life (if not the blandishments of religions) if they were to consent to contact in a way that won't kill them? Yes, I have no doubt -- but donning hazmat suits for their own good alienates.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:08 pm

Fartsniffage wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Sooooo...pushing for unlawful murder on American soil now? Awesome.

Also, Natives are Americans. You making them to be an “other” in society only makes them more vulnerable to violence against them. It’s why violence against gay and transgender folks is a thing. It doesn’t empower them to say they are separate from Americans, we’ve seen that this exact mindset is what led to things like the Trail of Tears. And you have no room to say what is “sensible” while calling for the deaths of people “on sight”.

Usually I am, yes, thank you. Just not now.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
-Alan Jackson

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:08 pm

Hakons wrote:
Andsed wrote:Well the difference between anti-vaxxers and these natives is what these natives do don't affect you while anti-vaxxers do. So how about you just leave them be alright?

The islanders affect themselves, obviously. Not to be too emotional, but do you want their infants to die? Do you want them to continue to have poor nutrition? Do you want them to die of easily treated medical conditions? This status quo is ridiculously terrible. "Preserving their way of life" is preserving infant mortality, malnutrition, and miniscule life expectancy. I'm not sure how at the present moment, but it is clear they must be introduced at some point to global humanity.

What makes you think they have high infant mortality or bad nutrition? They’ve managed to survive 60000 years on a tiny island, and famously they even seemed to be unaffected when hit by tsunami and earthquakes. So they’re doing fine and being so isolated might not even need modern medicines - may be the island was never colonised by disease organisms and their diet is natural high in antioxidants . Perhaps they’re protecting the fountain of eternal sunshine and good health

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:08 pm

Andsed wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:If you take a vow of poverty and live solely by charity, money loses nearly all value. If you join a self-sustaining commune, money loses nearly all value.
So, are separatist movements tolerable as long as they're not large? These islanders are a small group, after all.

Yeah well it is much easier and more effective to actually get honest work and make money to live an actual comfortable life. And yes small separatist groups like these islanders are tolerable.

The Amish are doing quite fine while performing honest work. How are you able to determine what a comfortable life is?
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:09 pm

Ors Might wrote:
Andsed wrote:Okay fine religion has a small bit of value to society and by proxy so do nuns and missionary and priest.

It’s also a fairly reliable source of social order and can moderate societal change that might be disastrous if it happens too quickly. Not my preferred form of it but give credit where it’s due.

Luminesa wrote:COME TO THE JESUS SIDE.

WE. HAVE. CHICKEN.

I may not be a man of God but I’ll be a choir boy for a plate of smoked pulled pork.

Amen. I’m a choir girl and I cannot deny a bucket of good BBQ chicken.
-Alan Jackson

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:10 pm

Ors Might wrote:
Andsed wrote:Okay fine religion has a small bit of value to society and by proxy so do nuns and missionary and priest.

That is true it does provide social order and can help change society correctly. Credit goes where credits due.

I think this is something we can actually agree on.
Last edited by Andsed on Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:10 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Ors Might wrote:It’s also a fairly reliable source of social order and can moderate societal change that might be disastrous if it happens too quickly. Not my preferred form of it but give credit where it’s due.

Maybe that will be what unites us with the tribes.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:10 pm

Andsed wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Translating a language that we know nothing about into English? That’s gonna be REAL easy.

It will take a lot of time but it is better than going in and forcing them to embrace our technology. Also who said it had to be translated into English?

Any language technically. They’re so isolated there’s a chance that even translating into Hindi could be a mess. We could have a situation similar to the Spanish with Basque.
-Alan Jackson

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:10 pm

Andsed wrote:
Ors Might wrote:It’s also a fairly reliable source of social order and can moderate societal change that might be disastrous if it happens too quickly. Not my preferred form of it but give credit where it’s due.

That is true it does provide social order and can help change society corretly. Credit goes where credits due.

I think this is something we can actually agree on.

Good. If y'all disagreed on that, I would have has a Texas-sized problem.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Ors Might
Powerbroker

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:10 pm

Luminesa wrote:

Honestly, I think a big part of the reason why religion is so big in the south is that the churches found that good food is the missionary’s greatest weapon.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:10 pm

The South Falls wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Amen. I’m a choir girl and I cannot deny a bucket of good BBQ chicken.

One nation under chicken. :lol2:
-Alan Jackson

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:11 pm

Ors Might wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Amen. I’m a choir girl and I cannot deny a bucket of good BBQ chicken.

Honestly, I think a big part of the reason why religion is so big in the south is that the churches found that good food is the missionary’s greatest weapon.

True dat. We had mass and then a bunch of Christmas chicken and cookies at church last year.

Fartsniffage
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Fartsniffage » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:11 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:

Usually I am, yes, thank you. Just not now.

okay. So was it intentional misunderstanding or just boring misunderstanding?

Ors Might
Powerbroker

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:11 pm

The South Falls wrote:

It’s impossible to hate someone when they give you good chicken. It’s a fact.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:13 pm

Fartsniffage wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Usually I am, yes, thank you. Just not now.

How was I supposed to take this statement? As sarcasm?
-Alan Jackson

Fartsniffage
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Fartsniffage » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:13 pm

Ors Might wrote:
The South Falls wrote:Maybe that will be what unites us with the tribes.

It’s impossible to hate someone when they give you good chicken. It’s a fact.

What about turkey?

Ors Might
Powerbroker

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:13 pm

The South Falls wrote:
Ors Might wrote:Honestly, I think a big part of the reason why religion is so big in the south is that the churches found that good food is the missionary’s greatest weapon.

True dat. We had mass and then a bunch of Christmas chicken and cookies at church last year.

Have you ever been to a feast hosted by a newly opened church? The food there will make you believe, I’ll tell you that.

Ors Might
Powerbroker

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:14 pm

Fartsniffage wrote:
Ors Might wrote:It’s impossible to hate someone when they give you good chicken. It’s a fact.

What about turkey?

Grilled or oven baked? I’ll kill a man for a grilled turkey leg.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:15 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Andsed wrote:Yeah well it is much easier and more effective to actually get honest work and make money to live an actual comfortable life. And yes small separatist groups like these islanders are tolerable.

The Amish are doing quite fine while performing honest work. How are you able to determine what a comfortable life is?

Well a comfortable life is what you think and for most that includes food and a house which you get through working hard and making money. And for these islanders a comfortable life is unknown but we can assume by their standards many of them are fine.
Luminesa wrote:
Andsed wrote:It will take a lot of time but it is better than going in and forcing them to embrace our technology. Also who said it had to be translated into English?

Any language technically. They’re so isolated there’s a chance that even translating into Hindi could be a mess. We could have a situation similar to the Spanish with Basque.

Yes it will take time but again are other option is forcing them to embrace our tech and forcing them to learn our languages.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Fartsniffage
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Fartsniffage » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:15 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:

How was I supposed to take this statement? As sarcasm?

Not all natives are American natives. Given the whole thread is about an island of natives in the bay of Bengal you could probably have assumed it was about them.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General