NATION

PASSWORD

Are Americans the worst tourists in the world?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Foul Linen
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Are Americans the worst tourists in the world?

Postby Foul Linen » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:14 am

I keep coming across complaints after complaints after complaints about Americans when they are in foreign lands.....

"Oh Americans are so loud, always complaining why things aren't like what they are back home and they don't respect the local culture, blah blah blah blah blah".....

IF THAT IS SO...... why hasn't the world banned them from entering countries?

You ban them.... you won't have to deal with them.... duh.

And don't give me the "Americans have money you see"..... argument here.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:20 am

I would propose to the OP that they flesh this out so this will not get locked as a blog. On a side note, some nations consider Chinese to be obnoxious or downright disrespectful especially in cases where they deface monuments (such as in Egypt).
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Trace
Secretary

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trace » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:21 am

Foul Linen wrote:I keep coming across complaints after complaints after complaints about Americans when they are in foreign lands.....

"Oh Americans are so loud, always complaining why things aren't like what they are back home and they don't respect the local culture, blah blah blah blah blah".....

Well for one the rest of the world isn't a singular entity that can just ban one entire nation's citizens on the spot. Two, I imagine this isn't all Americans, but rather a minority that comes off as a majority due to loud and angry groups of non-Americans complaining about Americans. Three: Just because a large population of people dislike Americans doesn't mean they're going to simply be able to ban Americans from entering their nation. This is especially true if they're not very influential within their own government.

Basically speaking: Everybody just has to deal with it.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:21 am

On a side note, I have noticed a general trend of this "are Americans literally Hitler?" type threads appearing just a bit much.
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:22 am

Trace wrote:
Foul Linen wrote:I keep coming across complaints after complaints after complaints about Americans when they are in foreign lands.....

Well for one the rest of the world isn't a singular entity that can just ban one entire nation's citizens on the spot. Two, I imagine this isn't all Americans, but rather a minority that comes off as a majority due to loud and angry groups of non-Americans complaining about Americans. Three: Just because a large population of people dislike Americans doesn't mean they're going to simply be able to ban Americans from entering their nation. This is especially true if they're not very influential within their own government.

Basically speaking: Everybody just has to deal with it.

Not to mention the basic principle of "money is money" applies here especially if a nation is way too reliant on tourism for its very survival.

Zitravgrad
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Zitravgrad » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:23 am

Umm, money is indeed one of the reasons tourism is for at all. Second is culture and experience.

But seriously, we are (trying to be) a free world. Banning the entire American population from entering your country because some of them happen to misbehave is nothing short of discrimination. Issuing travel ban on citizens of an entire nation is a diplomatic penalty that does not only result in tourists not being able to enter, but also family members, workers, students, etc.

Also, I can't say Americans are the worst tourists here in Bangkok. They are ok people, some are nice, some are not. But that's just people. On the other hand, you might hear Thai people complain that the worst tourists are Chinese. But do we ban them? No.
❄ ❄ United Federation of Zitravgrad ❄ ❄
PMT/Early FT - Decopunk. Zitravgrad is a crowned republic in a planet somewhere else in the universe. The formerly wartorn nation keeps a facade of normalcy and order while enjoying the societal and cultural decadence that marks the new Roaring Twenties. The paranoid authoritarian government tries its best to uphold order in the face of uncertainty, while its people want nothing more than a breathing space. A deal that works, but maybe not in the long run. | My NS-Related Art | Hehe bad meme as flag
Providenska's Herald: "Publish or Perish" culture contributes to stress in academia | Public Smoking Ban revisited - authority urged to take it more seriously

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:24 am

Trace wrote:

Well for one the rest of the world isn't a singular entity that can just ban one entire nation's citizens on the spot.

Actually, while the world can't, specific countries can do so if they feel like it.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:26 am

New haven america wrote:
Trace wrote:Well for one the rest of the world isn't a singular entity that can just ban one entire nation's citizens on the spot.

Actually, while the world can't, specific countries can do so if they feel like it.

I mean sure, but some in that category make it very unappealing to go there through normal means. Especially if one of the said countries has a multi-generational labor camp system just for the mere thought of even leaving.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:28 am

Dude, this topic's a decade too late. The Worst Tourists in the World award now belongs with the Chinese and their red flag waving tour guides.

Though, when it comes to Americans, when traveling outside country there are generally 2 types of American tourists: people who blend in so well you can barelly tell them apart from the native population, and idiots. The second group tends to be a lot more noticeable for very obvious reasons (Loud, annoying, etc...), so they take most of the spotlight while the first group just slides by, camaflouged among the native population.
Last edited by New haven america on Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:33 am

Benuty wrote:
New haven america wrote:Actually, while the world can't, specific countries can do so if they feel like it.

I mean sure, but some in that category make it very unappealing to go there through normal means. Especially if one of the said countries has a multi-generational labor camp system just for the mere thought of even leaving.

Actually, the US banned US citizens from going to NK, and banned NK citizens from coming to the US (Even though the only North Koreans who could get into the US hate North Korea...).

NK never banned US tourists, oddly enough.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Foul Linen
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Foul Linen » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:35 am

Benuty wrote:I would propose to the OP that they flesh this out so this will not get locked as a blog.

If I flesh it out, it'll become boring to read. I like to make things clear and simple.

Also how is this or any of things I posted considered blogs, what is a blog anyway?

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:35 am

New haven america wrote:Dude, this topic's a decade too late. The Worst Tourists in the World award now belongs with the Chinese and their red flag waving tour guides.

Though, when it comes to Americans, when traveling outside country there are generally 2 types of American tourists: people who blend in so well you can barelly tell them apart from the native population, and idiots. The second group tends to be a lot more noticeable for very obvious reasons (Loud, annoying, etc...), so they take most of the spotlight while the first group just slides by, camaflouged among the native population.

Having gone on a cruise through the Caribbean it kind of seems more like four types.

1) The people who actually are loud, and annoying in part because they are drunk.

2) The people who have done this many times, and know to watch out for the scams, and tourist traps.

3) The people who aren't either, and just want to have a fun time.

4) The elderly retirees who are living on boats due to it being cheaper than a retirement home.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:35 am

Foul Linen wrote:
Benuty wrote:I would propose to the OP that they flesh this out so this will not get locked as a blog.

If I flesh it out, it'll become boring to read.

And it'll get locked.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:36 am

Foul Linen wrote:

If I flesh it out, it'll become boring to read. I like to make things clear and simple.

Also how is this or any of things I posted considered blogs, what is a blog anyway?

Basically, this topic due to its rather slim posting has no real discussion at least in a way that would prevent the mods from coming down on you. Due to not having an obvious discussion, and being really short its considered somewhat like a blog you would find on Tumblr or google.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:39 am

Enough with these threads that are just an excuse to get on your soapbox and whine about America.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General